Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13
Author: Subject: Loreto Bay - the June 2007 Version
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 01:00 PM

On this paspalum grass link it states the following right off the bat:

"And then, if introduced into an environment that Bermudagrass could not, or should not be grown in, it becomes a little more challenging, so different avenues of construction techniques and turfgrass cultivation must be implemented."

So did/does bermuda grass do well in Loreto? No it does not. Even when fed with huge amounts of water it still grows very thinly and is not even really nice to look at. So if the quoted statement is true, this new salt tolerant grass will require even more effort to keep the appearance that discerning golfers will require at a five star mega resort.

My BS degree in Plant Physiology was earned at Sonoma State University in 1994 in case there's any doubters to my observation.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 01:09 PM

Again from that paspalum link:

"Anytime we use the term "challenged environment", or "non Bermudagrass environment", etc., we are describing any of the following; water other than "fresh" which would include: effluent, brackish, or any water with any amount of salinity levels above 500 PPM, TDS.

Other challenged sites, regardless of the quality of water available could include low rainfall regions (arid sites), high rainfall and cloudy regions, areas prone to salt spray, tropical storm flooding from either fresh water or salt water, hurricanes, or sites that have salt affected soils, high or low pH soils, and most any other "harsh" turfgrass environment."

Oh this just keeps getting better! I think Loreto Bay is failing to plan. BIG DUH!!! They are a "sustainable development" and they will eventually have two golf courses.

San Bruno will have four.

and Ensenada Blanca will have one

make your own conclusions

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 01:19 PM

And this link will describe the preventative and effects of disease:

http://www.paspalumgrass.com/diseases.asp

when a plant grows in an environment that could be considered "harsh" for its particular species it is more suseptible to disease and infestation than when it grows in an environment that it can tolerate better.

This can only lead me to conclude that the use of fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc. will need to be at a higher level than normal if environmental conditions weren't so harsh.

OK two golf courses in sustainable Nopolo, that will consume huge amounts of water useage and become a shoreline chemical sink and effluent. YUCK!

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

exclamation.gif posted on 6-12-2007 at 09:32 AM
muy importante

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
has anyone noticed the new water line they are running from loreto north about 30 km to the agricultural aria. now they are going to take the water away from the farmers in that aria.:?:

Hi there,

I just found the answer to this. I am a new member of the chamber of commerce in Loreto and I had a long talk with the president of the chamber. He just told me that those pipes are being connected to the San Juan Londo aquafer to feed Loreto Paraiso (the San Bruno project).

Great! Now we have 13,000 units and the 260,000 additional residents that that project will bring draining that aquafer AND this new megaproject to our north sucking up the rest!

They said (HArvard Study) that the aquifer has 5-10 years without this growth, now how many years will be get water? 2,3,4??? then what?!

This is so important which is why I revived this thread as I remembered Bruce's comments on the tubes up North.

Loreto is dying a slow death right in front of us.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 09:48 AM
truly unfockin believable.

how do these people sleep at night? well, after the catstraphe happens everyone will leave and try to be made right thru the courts, leaving the little people to pick up the peices.

just think about the sale on beachfront property!!!! except there won't be any buyers!

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 08:37 PM
will the airlines keep flying to loreto?

What air carrier has the most flights into Loreto? Is it Alaska?

In the past 3 quarters its net income has been less than zero.

In the past 52 weeks its stock has lost 26% while the S&P 500 has gained 23%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=ALK&annual

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=ALK

To be fair, the whole airline industry is iffy at best and with the high fuel prices it's really a loser.

Is the Loreto route profitable? Loreto Bay better hope so. Doesn't look like Alaska or any other airline is going to be carrying around any dead wood for long.

Remember how any years that airport sat idle? Mucho!

Baja_Girl
Nomad

Mood: suavidad

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 09:12 PM

...but on the other hand, some of us really enjoy what Loreto is, the Mission, the diving, and the beautiful natives, (but, uh, I could do without the sewage in the streets) - and I certainly wouldn't have access if all commercial flights were cancelled...so let's not boo-hoo 'reasonable' access to Loreto. And, I may be alot of things, but not "dead wood."
Let us do everything possible to disseminate the ugly truth about the Evil Empire aka LBC. I have observed that the publications meant to educate visitors about Loreto have mostly absorbed the b-s propaganda by LBC - without question. Porque? Is it not possible to put up a billboard on the way to LBC which says "Hey, Knucklehead, Ask For Proof That Anything They Say Is Even Remotely True. Be Prepared to ASK QUESTIONS."
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 10:09 PM

I flew up north a couple of weeks ago on Alaska Airlines. Read an article on Loreto in their magazine, one of those articles about eco tourists who have zero impact, yeah right. What got me, as a fisherman, was the information that the Loreto Marine Park had banned trawlers AND SPORTFISHING, and as a result numbers of fish greatly increased and that increased tourism. All crap, but that's what a growing number of people want to hear.

There are a couple of copies of that mag with corrections penciled in.:biggrin:

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 08:26 AM

bajagirl - I didn't mean the passengers were dead wood, I was referring to flight routes that aren't profitable. And just because a particular fight is full doesn't mean it's profitable. It's the number of passengers times the ticket price that determines profitability.

Is Loreto a dead end route or do the flights continue on to Cabo or some other place? I would think dead end routes are especially vulnerable.

If the fact that there's not enough water, or the environmental consequences, or local opposition doesn't stop the mega tourist development, maybe the refusal of the airlines to subsidize flights to the area will. Right now the airline business is hurting big time.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 08:41 AM

There should be handouts at the hotel where the prospective buyers stay during their sales presentation trips with the truth. A couple pages, back to back, excerpts from the water study, facts about the Other development plans, the interpretation of their sustainabilty report (stated commitment vs. past action and future plans = lies). Want a condo with a view of the ocean? They're aplenty in Mexico and you don't have to wait 10 years for the "promises" - buy and enjoy it now for less. Since the sustainability aspect is total bull__, why buy there? Title it "What Loreto Bay Company Doesn't Want You to Know." We can all donate $ for printing, and ask a couple Baja-oriented NGOs (the ones who haven't yet been tapped to keep quiet) to pitch in too.
PS: Where's the Loreto Bay Foundation annual report?
Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 08:45 AM

Delta has a small ExpressJet that flies from LAX to Loreto and back...that's all.
Alaska apparently starts in Washington, stops at LAX and ends at Loreto - and turns around.
These are the flights I know about. Alaska, from what I hear, is almost always full as it is best known. Delta has not been full, but when word gets out how awesome it is (small fast jet, more comfortable leather seats - I loved it) - so its just a matter of time.

Interestingly, I heard some local business people lament that Loreto was very slow this last month in comparison to other years and a local restaurant owner suggested that the hotels help sponsor the flights to bring more people down. \

LBC folks stay "on premises" to eat and drink and wear stupid wrist bands into town when they are allowed to escape. How does that help Augies? Isla's? and other local businesses if tourists are encouraged to stay inside the projects?

I think that some thoughtful, planned development of the Loreto tourist industry is inevitable and probably a good thing...

I think that LYING and BULLSH--TING in order to EXPLOIT the beauty of Loreto MUST be stopped. The LBC projects are UGLY. Their "sustainability" mantra is FRAUD. That's why it makes me SOOO ANGRY...It has NOTHING to offer the pueblo bonito Loreto.

more later,
lisa marie
Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 08:48 AM

Wilderone - that's a great idea - Old Hippie - if you construct the text - you are the best writer - and ask Pompano for some humor - he's brilliant, too, I will use my resources to organize and publish a newsletter up here and bring in down there - kind of like the Grinch...we'll start out modest and see how receptive the businesses are...
let me know...estoy aqui.
xoox
lisa marie
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:20 AM

Most of the prospective suckers and or buyers stay at the "Inn at Loreto Bay". I think this is also now owned by the Loreto Bay people. Getting any kind of honest pamphlets there just isnt going to happen.

Loreto Bay herds them around like sheep. It looks like they try to avoid contact with any locals if at all possible.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
There should be handouts at the hotel where the prospective buyers stay during their sales presentation trips with the truth. A couple pages, back to back, excerpts from the water study, facts about the Other development plans, the interpretation of their sustainabilty report (stated commitment vs. past action and future plans = lies). Want a condo with a view of the ocean? They're aplenty in Mexico and you don't have to wait 10 years for the "promises" - buy and enjoy it now for less. Since the sustainability aspect is total bull__, why buy there? Title it "What Loreto Bay Company Doesn't Want You to Know." We can all donate $ for printing, and ask a couple Baja-oriented NGOs (the ones who haven't yet been tapped to keep quiet) to pitch in too.
PS: Where's the Loreto Bay Foundation annual report?

I made the same suggestions awhile back! You know, great minds and all that! You have expanded upon it well. I think the airport would be the place to leaflet, and keep a few flyers on your person and hand them to wristbanded people. The hotel can refuse to allow you to pass out flyers on the premises.
I was wondering about the annual report, but haven't had time to look for it.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:58 AM

So, I just tried to find the Foundation Annual Report, and could only find the report for 2005. The financial report page showed a total of $70,320 in grants made with another $25,000 approved, but not distributed. Total expenses, which does include the $25,000, was $249,192!

Anyone know where to find the 2006 report?
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 11:23 AM

T-shirts, bumper stickers, window stickers, cold cups, billboards, etc.

no_loretobay.jpg - 29kB

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 11:46 AM

Something else is brewing that needs to be balanced with the truth of the damaging effects of tourism and condo/hotel developments for the foreign elite.

http://www.loretobay.com/files/Media/loreto_vid/popup.htm

Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 12:51 PM
Wanted: Very Smart Website Designer

I have just purchased the following domain names -
:biggrin:

Now, I need someone to take up the task of filling up the webpages...the hosting is inexpensive and I'll pay for it...the key will be to get one of these websites to show up on top anytime someone types in "Loreto Bay Company" -

How could they be soooo stoopid and not buy up the domain names?

Your account is being processed for $26.00. You will receive an account setup confirmation within the next 24 hours with instructions on how to access your account. If you have any questions regarding this invoice, please feel free to contact us at order@ipowerweb.com. We appreciate your business and look forward to a great relationship!

Thank You,

The iPowerWeb Team

ORDER SUMMARY
-------------

Sales Date.............. 2007/06/14 12:36:18
Domain Names............

loretobaycompany.biz

loretobaycompany.net

loretobaycompany.org

loretobaycompany.info

Pam, Oldhippie, need good content - and if nothing else, I have a sister who does this part time...but could use some help here!
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 01:25 PM

I am certainly no fan of LB, but this is going way beyond what this web site is for. I am not going to report this to the moderators, but IMHO, it is time for some of you folks to sensor yourself. At least take this to U2U.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 01:48 PM

Minnow,
I promise to censor myself immediately upon learning that the LBC has stopped disseminated its propaganda...if you would kindly focus your energy on censoring LBC first and stop the inevitable harm to Loreto, then I will leave well enough alone and consider myself "censored."
Thank you for your help in this regard.
lisa marie
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.