Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: a couple of questions
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
I have to respond to Dennis even though I know you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Hey, I'll be one someday, and I won't want anyone teaching me anything.

Don't worry.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I feel that, if an accurate answer was Newbie's desire, he asked the wrong bunch of people. I knew when I posted that there would be responses from some who evidently think that any question to race or religion is inappropriate, rude and out of place. That is truly your problem with which you infect the world. If more people would discuss their differences, we would have more understanding. We should ask. We should wonder. We shouldn't treat differences as "thin Ice", not to be treaded upon.
Newbie asked the question about joining a part of Mexico, bringing genetic and cultural differences. That was his/her question. Good questions. My feeling is that he/she brought the enquiry to the non-conversant. He asked people who wouldn't know the answers. That was my point.
I didn't bring up race and religion here. Newbie did.

You're off-base with your response, DanO. Some of my best friends are White.

Carol.......Please don't ever think that I would accuse you of being a Christain.

Obviously because Newbie has received a lot of input responding directly to his questions, you were mistaken in "I feel that, if an accurate answer was Newbie's desire, he asked the wrong bunch of people." Where is it written that someone would have to be black or Muslim to have viable input to respond to Newbie's questions? Do you honestly feel that no Nomad knows or associates with people of other races or religions that their own?? Newbie wasn't wrong in asking a race/religion related question, your response is what I felt was inappropriate! And obviously others besides me felt that way as well.

And just as obviously, since Newbie has received some information that he was looking for when he posted his questions, then you must just be too insensitive to "get it" or understand what you said or how you said it might be offensive....but you obviously didn't miss the fact that many DID take offense at your response. By trying to dig out from under, you only bury yourself worse! I'd suggest that you re-read your posts before you hit the send button, but if you still don't see where you went wrong; on this thread; by this time, re-reading before you post probably wouldn't make any difference. It seems like the Pacifico does a lot of talking on your behalf.

For the record, I don't give a rat's ass what you do or don't think of me! My friends of all races & all religions like me just fine! It's their respect I care about!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:15 PM
What's the big deal?

Because when you enter race, religion and politics publicly you are guaranteed an audience. It's no different here.
I must have missed something after 9-11. Can any one of you(save Newbie) tell that racial profiling isn't common and prevalant here in the good ol' USA? It may not be appropriate and it may not be fair or equal but Muslims (and Mexicans) are under the proverbial microscope. Don't ask why.
With that said, I too am a bit curious why color and race would be a focal point of your investigation. Are religion and color primary factors regarding your potential move? Is there a fear you possess aside from dangerous roads?
Personally, I think you should do some serious investigation if your worries center around skin color and religious preference. Announcing that info here is guaranteed to propagate racial feelings whether they support you or not. Your actual concerns are probably moot in Baja. It's the ol white guys(from Arizona) you gotta watch out for.;D;)

Take a trip and leave that stuff behind. I think you'll find Mexicans(unlike many gringos) are pretty receptive.... given the chance.

Don't worry.....be happy(er...friendly)!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:18 PM

Hey newbie, all the other stuff aside you are on the right track. Go for it, get yourself a place for a few months and see for yourself. I do not think you will be disappointed.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Announcing that info here is guaranteed to propagate racial feelings whether they support you or not.

You're right, Sharky but, I hope my comments weren't seen as racial just because I talked about them.
Again, my comments were about the audience, us, who are incapable of understanding Newbie's question. It wasn't racially inspired at all. I never once called a bunch of old white people, stupid or anything like that.
Newbie and I have said our peace so, anything else forthcoming is, well, forthcoming.
Thanks Sharky.

Jeezo.....Sounds like some old fish-wife bellowing up there. Is she alright? Could somebody check on her? Maybe the eclipse changed her hormones. I guess that always takes a while to get used to.

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by DENNIS]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:49 PM

Dennis, you zeroed in on the same keywords I saw.

ie; Muslim, cultural, African-American

Nothing at all wrong with Newbies curiosity but I think it leads the reader in a controversial direction. Completely NORMAL here.:rolleyes:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:56 PM

newbie,

Take a look around Playas de Tijuana. A hop, skip, and jump from San Diego. Many rentals and houses to buy at about 1/3 San Diego prices.

Fully self-contained - restaurants, banks, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc. It's a well maintained upper middle class, Mexican, beach-side neighborhood.

And, thankfully, very few crazy gringos around.

Use the U2U feature of this website if you want more info.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie
Hello:

I have been contemplating leaving the US for more affordable pastures. I am still in the begginning stages of this so please bare with me. I was told the Baja Gold Coast is a great place to look into due to it's proximity to the US california. However, I do have a couple of concerns. 1. I am african american and I am wondering how are african americans received in mexico. Also, I am a muslim so, I am not sure how much a cultural role that will play in mexico. Lastly, I hear the highways are tricky and one can get killed driving past sunset back and forth from california to mexico. Please let me know is it safe to drive or not because the biggest perk is having access to drive back to california anytime.

Thanks.

Sorry if my questions sound stupid, but, a wise man once said, "Yhe only stupid question is one that never ben asked".

I am Mexican, lived most of my life in the coastal communities of northern Baja, so i think i can offer some insight.

There are Blacks living in the area, not many, but theres a few here and there, and from what i can see, nobody bothers them. Some have Mexican gilfriends and nobody cares, so you shouldnt have anything to worry about. As far as the muslim issue is concerned, i woud keep that to myself in the privacy of my home. If word gets around that your a muslim, trust me, regardless of all the supposedly problems betwen Mexican and American authorities, when it comes to terrorism, Mexicans are just as quick to react to any perceived treat. And they will pay very close attention to you wich is something you do not want.

As far as the traffic is concerned, ask some of the people that live in the area and have to go to the US very often.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:23 PM

Dennis

In your first post you make an assumption that this forum is 98% OLD White and if anything Christian I don't know why you didn't also add senile because that is the underlying feeling I get. You seem to have some protectors for your Foot in Mouth disease but the only cure is SILENCE.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Dennis

In your first post you make an assumption that this forum is 98% OLD White and if anything Christian I don't know why you didn't also add senile because that is the underlying feeling I get. You seem to have some protectors for your Foot in Mouth disease but the only cure is SILENCE.

:lol:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:45 PM

newbie. Good to have you.:D
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

rolleyes.gif posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:49 PM

Profile:

Toneart is not old! He stopped celebrating birthdays because he lost count. So...............he didn't age.

Toneart is not white. He is transparent. That's why he has an avitar to represent him. Only his dog knows where he is or where he's "coming from".

Toneart is not religious. Religious dogma can get you killed.
He wears his non-religion on his sleeve, but you cannot see it because you cannot see him.

Toneart is a stateless being from another planet. He is not nationalistic. He never gets seated on juries because he is informed and has opinions. He has no peer group. He thinks humans are stupid because they start wars and then can't stop.

Toneart has no minor vices.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:52 PM

Toneart is a robot.:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

Newbie: I am sure that you have had the chance to see the Reactions from the Posters on this board- Good and Bad!

This from an Ole Timer in Baja Sur, White, Christian, well experienced in Life being 76 years young with 38 years on the Sea of Corez around Loreto.
Being Black: I never observed any discrimination in my years.
Many years ago there was a Platoon of Black Soldiers stationed at La Paz-Some of their descendents where around Mulege.

Being Muslim: That is your Personal business!

As you can see there are many on this board,some who have never been to Baja, who just like to cause Trouble and Beat their Gums.
The ones who attach Christians are the Weak Minded who do not have the Ability to like anything other than themselves.

Go to Baja Sur, look around, if you feel uncomfortable, then try La Paz, stay away from Baja Norte. Be yourself, Be Happy and know that several Posters are Still Little Children and may never grow up to be Knowledgeable or Respectable.

Skeet/Loreto
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

toneart should add:

Toneart has a good sense of humor, ------------for a spirit. :lol:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
toneart should add:

What is a sense of humor:?:

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

With that said, I too am a bit curious why color and race would be a focal point of your investigation. Are religion and color primary factors regarding your potential move? Is there a fear you possess aside from dangerous roads?

Well I think personally that a move to a foreign land can be frightening. A different language, a different government, and a different culture of people. I think one should know how they will be treated especially when you hold a certain religious belief and look a certain color. I would think I'd be a fool not to address the major issues first, (i.e. Will I be welcomed with open arms in another country). Once that is assessed then I can move on to cost of living, infrasturcture, etc,etc.....Some questions have already been answered through googling and the like. However, the question about skin color and religion I haven't found. I think that this forum has done a fantastic job of answering those questions and I am thankful for everyone who participated.
By the way, I didnt mean to stir anything. I had no idea what was going to happen when I wrote my question. I just felt it neccessary to be answered.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:28 PM

Very well said, Newbie----------you are a fantastic addition to this board, I think.

barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:30 PM

Quote:

The ability to make others (me?) laugh, in this case. :bounce:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
toneart should add:

You sly dog, er:lol: robot!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.