Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Another Robbery...
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 06:55 AM

If you are going to Ensenada or further south, enter at Tecate maybe 15 miles further. We crossed at Tecate at 7:30 was in GN at 4:30.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:05 AM

I think the free road has police from other jurisdictions on it...correct? So probably less hoodlems even if they do change their MO...better chance of reporting problems I figure...plus better taco stands and interesting sights. No brainer...

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBomber
They reported that the robbers seemed like they were on speed. They accused them of drunk driving and that they were going to take their vehicles. They managed to keep their vehicles but lost a lot of cash. Not sure how they got out of it yet. I do know that they cancelled their trip and came straight home and are extemely shaken.

The pattern seems to be that one vehicle pulls you over, using phony red lights, etc., and a second pulls in front to block your progress. Unless you're being stopped by a Federale black-and-white, what's the best thing to do?

1. Keep going until you reach a toll booth or some populated area, or
2. Suffer some front-end damage and push the b****rd out of the way, or
3. Something else?

Or are these guys so convincing that you basically can't do anything. Would love to see opinions.

How could you possibly tell at dark:30 if the unit pulling you over is black and white? I couldnt tell in my rear view mirrors, especially when towing.

Dennis's route is pretty easy. Going straight after you clear the top of the hill is a pretty fast route, multiple lanes in each direction and not a lot of stoplights.

Dennis, what would towing something long be like after you make the right turn towards Rosarito?

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
It is a shorter more logical route but it does have traffic lights.

Ferna....
He could avoid the traffic lights through Tijuana by taking the border fence road up and over the hill and where the road splits off to the right for the toll road, don't take the turn. Go straight for a few miles and take the well marked right to Rosarito / Ensenada. You're still on the free road, and coming to the toll road at the north end of Rosarito. Get on the toll road or go into Rosarito. A couple of lights but not bad.

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by DENNIS]

Two of the carjackings occured on the border fence road.

Cross at 7:00 AM you can have a nice lunch at El Paraiso in SQ.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Dennis, what would towing something long be like after you make the right turn towards Rosarito?

It's four lane all the way but there's a steep hill (but not near as severe as the border road) then a loong downgrade all the way to Rosarito. If you have surge brakes they will likely be engaged most the way down. I prefer the toll road when towing.

Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:48 AM
My favorite route

Free road 201 would be to use Blvd Fundadores. Then you could stop at the TJ brewery and stock up. ;D

Starts by using the far left lane after crossing the border. Around the clover then up to Revolution and left to Fundadores...Then right.

Ferna, could you draw a map?

bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Ok Nervous Nelly, next time you want to travel south let me know ahead of time and I'll wait at the border, you follow (as if I had you by my hand) me and I'll even bring my 5 year old and my 13 year old girls and we will lead you to the free road. Oh and we'll do it for free, you wont even have to pay the half price I stated before :lol:

Geez, I'm not that bad! :P But thanks for the offer...I get your point, though. If you feel safe enough to bring your kids at that hour, that speaks volumes to me.

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by bajaboolie]

Bajaboolie
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 12:36 PM

To whom it may concern: I make this statement of my own free will and without any coercion. I and my wife spent 2 weeks staying with Fernando I his wife and kids, during that time we walked around TJ, drove, took taxis, and buses. Its just another city with many inhabitants going about their business of living, working playing etc.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 12:39 PM

Dave, you might be surprised to learn that you can zoom in to street level (with names) in TJ with Mapquest. I know I was surprised.

Was thinking maybe staying on Circuito Bursatil until you get to the Calle 10 circle and then take Calle 10 over to Fundadores. Probably not towing, though.:biggrin:

I guess the biggest disadvantage would be.........no brewery. NO BUENO !!!!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:02 PM

I have also been the victim of home invasion robbery this weekend in la paz. The neighbors called the police who caught them but won't press charges unless I process the charges and face the criminals who have threatened to kill me if I do, of course the stuff is gone and wont be returned in any case. They also beat up the neighbors who called the cops.

Right now its crazy, it seems every drug addict is desperate and willing to stop at nothing. to steal anything they think is worth something. They have thrown rocks through many windows in downtown to steal at night. The cops are doing almost nothing except stopping by later to say "I'm sorry for you, its happening everywhere". Its not a good time now. There are many problems in the schools with striking teachers-we probably have lost the whole semester, businesses are being robbed and prefer to shut the doors etc... drug cartels are fighting with each and with police and it is not going to be resolved soon.

No one has the energy or desire to put up a fight to stop it.

I would avoid all of mexico for the time being and maybe all of 2007-2008.

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by gnukid]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:11 PM

Gnukid

Years ago when we lived in Oakland we were Burglarized twice we called the police, they came by and apologized and said its happening everywhere. Sound familiar.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:18 PM

Yes, my first thought today was, la paz is safer than Oakland... both places I love both seem unusually dangerous.

I guess the old rule dont bring anything of value to mexico and you wont lose anything of value in mexico, stands true. Its a good system.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:28 PM

Really, REALLY SAD, GNUKID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
I have also been the victim of home invasion robbery this weekend in la paz. The neighbors called the police who caught them but won't press charges unless I process the charges and face the criminals who have threatened to kill me if I do, of course the stuff is gone and wont be returned in any case. They also beat up the neighbors who called the cops.

Right now its crazy, it seems every drug addict is desperate and willing to stop at nothing. to steal anything they think is worth something. They have thrown rocks through many windows in downtown to steal at night. The cops are doing almost nothing except stopping by later to say "I'm sorry for you, its happening everywhere". Its not a good time now. There are many problems in the schools with striking teachers-we probably have lost the whole semester, businesses are being robbed and prefer to shut the doors etc... drug cartels are fighting with each and with police and it is not going to be resolved soon.

No one has the energy or desire to put up a fight to stop it.

I would avoid all of mexico for the time being and maybe all of 2007-2008.

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by gnukid]

I'm sorry you have been the victim of these robbers. But to say avoid Mexico through 2008? Seems a little extreme. What neighborhood do you live in? I won't park my car there when we are down for this November!

Ken
:?::?::?::(:?::?::?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HookHow could you possibly tell at dark:30 if the unit pulling you over is black and white? I couldnt tell in my rear view mirrors, especially when towing.

getting so you need an armored car with bullet-prooof glass and run-flat tires. in mexico, you can get your existing car fixed up for about $40k, but it does a number on your milage -- of course, if you don't drive at nite, you may be able to do without this.

driving at 3:00 AM on a quiet road in a tough neighborhood, in an expensive car packed full of expensive toys while carrying lots of cash, credit/ATM cards... you got to be delusional to think you don't make a nice target.

many, many years ago they started telling people to not travel at nite in many parts of mainland mexico. sounds like that is now sound advice for gringos in baja.

anyways, at nite, if the banditos don't get you, the cows certainly will.
don't drive at nite!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 02:30 PM
And while on the La Paz subject

A top ranking La Paz police chief was executed in his car yesterday morning, while with his daughter, at 10 AM, she was not harmed. This happened in town by the chiefs home on Venustiano Carranza between Rosales and Bravo. He received between 10 and 13 shots from a 38. The gettaway car, a white nissan sentra was later found abandoned on Mexico and Allende at the Banorte parking lot.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n436632.htm

http://www.tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/newpage/index.cfm?op=por...

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 02:37 PM

Its a good lesson to learn over and over, the less you have the better off you are.

I live in el Manglito which is the waterfront old neighborhood of la paz about 1 block from Marina la Paz, there are usually marines standing in front of the house, military, police, AFI, plug drinkers and druggies, they are all there but really the police do not want to mess with people on drugs in the midst of crime, there is little benefit to doing so and much to lose according to lore.

Honestly, the neighbor in a wheel chair was trying to stop them and they beat him too and still he says he is happy to testify in court against them.

But really things in general are not well, the mood is not good, the students at UABCS have lost the semester and even they have taken their school funds and spent it on drugs, according to what I can see.

Its like the whole region is looking to someone to save them but not one person will stand up.

And worse, when I speak to my gringo friends they seem to have no hope at all just resignation that there is nothing you can do to stop the crime.

For me I don't like to be in that situation, I think when I am on the water I am most safe in mexico, anywhere but on the streets of La paz where the vultures will eat you alive.

Life on the wild side.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Its like the whole region is looking to someone to save them but not one person will stand up.
Life on the wild side.

A bit confused. Are you saying you will not press charges? Is there like a gang or cohorts that will come after you? I'd say if nobody cares enough to make a stand then prepare for the worst. A dangerous and sticky situation to say the least. Sorry about your losses there kid.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 04:35 PM

Gnukid,
Sounds like you need Shane, Underdog or Lone Ranger, or perhaps the Magnificent Seven or Billy Jack. Maybe a more modern version of the western savior, with modern firepower, like a deranged Rambo.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 05:10 PM
Driving through TJ to the Free Road

fdt has posted a lot of great information.

I just want to contribute from my own perspective, maybe it will help Baja travelers.

In general, I prefer to go to the border at San Ysidro on the 5 fwy - not the 805 - the backup seems to be less congested and the the "swoopers" aren't trying to cut in from the return lane, but, all bets are off on "special occasions", =i.e., U.S. and Mexican holidays, etc.)

Once you pass the red/green signal for secondary on the Mexican side, merge left. You will move faster - ignore the congestion, simply stay calm and firm and move into the lane without getting worried - you will be able to get in, eventually.

After the short rise up over the bridge, move to the far right, but do not take the offramp for the toll road to Rosarito.

Instead, choose the right hand road that takes you to the Zona Rio. Proceed south. As you wait at stop lights, buy flowers from the roadside vendors (lilies, roses, orchids...I will accept any gifts as you pass my house going south :lol:)

After the McDonalds and the circle, get ready to turn right on Cuahotemoc Sur -- just look for the many cars that are lining up to turn right on this corner, and, there is a sign.

Follow the road as it goes through the city in a western direction and you will find yourself on the the northern coastal part of the city of Rosarito and there is an onramp to the Cuota (toll road). You can go north or south on the coast at this point.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.