Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTom
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
And I think the people I like the most are my mexican friends.

Wow....That's great Doc. How do you keep them seperated? You know...Those Mexican friends from the non-Mexican friends?
It must be a cultural chore. Do you check their teeth for remants of Mexican food? Maybe BigMac residue?
What is it that makes Mexicans more likeable than Anglo North Americans? I really want to know.
What did we do wrong?

well, for one, my mexican friends covertly hostile.

correction, my mexican friends arent covertly hostile, and can type better than me too!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Dennis, are you serious...? If you don't know, you need to get some Mexican friends! They are awesome people who with little wealth would gladly share anything with you...

Like what?
Dave
Elite Nomad

cool.gif posted on 11-2-2007 at 06:38 PM
Maybe, maybe not

Quote:
correction, my mexican friends arent covertly hostile

If they were really good at it how would you know?

Remember:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
And I think the people I like the most are my mexican friends.

Wow....That's great Doc. How do you keep them seperated? You know...Those Mexican friends from the non-Mexican friends?
It must be a cultural chore. Do you check their teeth for remants of Mexican food? Maybe BigMac residue?
What is it that makes Mexicans more likeable than Anglo North Americans? I really want to know.
What did we do wrong?

Dennis, are you serious...? If you don't know, you need to get some Mexican friends! They are awesome people who with little wealth would gladly share anything with you...

Yeah David...I'm serious. What makes Mexicans more likable than North Americans?
I have lots of Mexican friends. Why wouldn't I? I live here. And the Mexicans I live around are just like the folks I lived around in the states. Friends help friends. A-holes arn't relied upon.
Gimme a break, David. Because you have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere and a truck full of Mexicans comes by and offers help, makes the heart and soul of Mexico more friendly? Woudn't this happen in the states as well? I think it would.
Perhaps you see this gesture of friendship in Mexico from a more noblese oblige point of view. I believe you do. You and many others.
When you're down here and in need of help, help yourself. If that doesn't work, call me. If that doesn't work, accept the help of the same people you champion here, the Mexicans.

It's Baja. We're all in it together.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 07:34 PM
Ehh, Good People are Just Good People

At the risk of iginiting another serious flaming session, might I suggest that it is easiers (yes, I deliberately spelled it that way) to find good hearted people in the still sparsely populated parts of Baja than in the metropolitan areas of the U.S.?

Why? Maybe because Baja communities still depend on and interact with each other and are not isolated/exiled/desensitized by long commutes, TV programs, video games, iPods and all the other pressures/distractions.

In a choice of a face off between a self-entitled American vs a self-entitled Chilango, I would pick the American - at least I can argue with and ridicule him in his own language with some facility and cultural/political knowledge.

If my Spanish language skills improve sufficiently, I'd tackle the Chilango, tambien.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
At the risk of iginiting another serious flaming session, might I suggest that it is easiers (yes, I deliberately spelled it that way) to find good hearted people in the still sparsely populated parts of Baja than in the metropolitan areas of the U.S.?

Why? Maybe because Baja communities still depend on and interact with each other and are not isolated/exiled/desensitized by long commutes, TV programs, video games, iPods and all the other pressures/distractions.

In a choice of a face off between a self-entitled American vs a self-entitled Chilango, I would pick the American - at least I can argue with and ridicule him in his own language with some facility and cultural/political knowledge.

If my Spanish language skills improve sufficiently, I'd tackle the Chilango, tambien.

Right on, Jan. In your quandry between the self-entitleds...you may want to ignore them both. And, if you don't mind, you might not want to be looking for good-hearted people. Your heart is good enough and they'll find you.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2007 at 08:03 AM

Although I have traveled a little in Mainland Mexico, my expriences with Mexicans mostly have occured in Baja California... from my 40+ years of Baja travels, the people of Baja have been great (friendly, helpful, generous, etc.).

My responce was to you Dennis because you asked "What makes Mexicans more likeable than Anglo North Americans?"

If you have lots of Mexican friends, as you say above, then I would say you have been there long enough to realize what I said... But that you need to question that obvious difference has me wondering...

I have many Anglo friends and of course they are not less likeable than Mexicans... The post really is a comparisson between Mexicans who are strangers and the same of Americans... The Mexican is more likely to try and be a friend to you by his actions than an American would in the same situation.

Gringos can be snobs (the subject of this thread)... Some Nomads can be snobs too... if your attitude sucks than the treatment from the Mexicans will probably be less than what most of the Nomads will have experienced.

People are what they are... if they are happy with themselves and the reaction from others, then great...

IF people are not happy with the treatment they receive from others or constantly need to make negative and depressing comments, then they would benefit from an attitude adjustment... You get what you give!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PabloS
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-3-2007 at 08:13 AM

Well said DK:)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.