Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Border Crossing - Passports no longer needed
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 09:57 AM
but can you get an FMM without one?

If you are going past the immediate border area and you get FMM?

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Is it still ok to produce a drivers license and original birth certificate when crossing back to the US?

It's been so long since I didn't have a passport and friends are coming today without a PP.

Thanks

Wow, way to bring up a thread that is 7 years old Dan!!

Americans cannot be denied entry back into their own country... proving they're Americans is easiest done with a passport or passport card. It is up to the border officer to send you to secondary to better prove your citizenship if he is not convinced by your words or other IDs. I have family members who had no issues at all coming back to the U.S. without a passport or birth certificate the past few years. They apparently do a great job looking and sounding like American citizens?

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Is it still ok to produce a drivers license and original birth certificate when crossing back to the US?

It's been so long since I didn't have a passport and friends are coming today without a PP.

Thanks

Yes, you can still cross the border with a drivers license and birth certificate.

You are still supposed to have US Passport or US Passport Card, but I see people still cross with only their drivers license and birth certificate, and since I often walk over the border. I see the brief exchange at the border, and most of the time the customs guy working the line, says nothing about not having a passport, other times, but rarely, they will tell the person crossing back into the US about the passport requirement, before waving them through.

I have never seen anybody sent to secondary for not having a passport or pass card.

I have also taken extended family members over the border and back, with only a DL and BC, and they had no problems crossing back into the US.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
If you are going past the immediate border area and you get FMM?

Well, now that is a southbound issue... and as far as I know and have seen personally at the INM office, a passport is required to get the tourist card (FMM) for stays over 3 days or any trip south of the border zone (Maneadero/ San Felipe). Tourist cards for up to 7 days are FREE, and longer (up to 180 days) are around US$25.

[Edited on 2-20-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 10:21 AM

That is just freaking stunning...just exactly what does an American citizen LOOK LIKE David? Statistically, compared to the rest of the world, that would be white, fat, speaking only one language, and carrying a gun...right? You never fail to amaze me dude! :lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 10:23 AM

When was the last time anyone was asked to produce an FMM? and where? GN ag. Inspection/spray job I'd assume..

I took a buddy last year.. I had an FMM left over from previous trip and didn't want to stop and get him one.. I took the dirt road go around at GN coming and going to avoid the inspection.. Kinda felt like I got away with one.. But can't remember ever being asked to produce my FMM.......

TT
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 12:55 PM

THANKS ALLLLLLLLL........
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.