Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: HURRICANE RELIEF SUPPLIES
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:11 AM

Thanks, Shari......... I'm compiling the list now.
What's your weather like now? It's just warm, maybe 80 up here. Hardly a breeze.
I see the storm is backtracking at 2 MPH. Hopefully, it will weaken to a tolerable level....if there is such a thing.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
instead of bringing stuff down from the states...one could do a big shop at costco or somewhere in baja norte and bring stuff down that way. \

If you can buy stuff on the US side and get it across, it is a good idea. Costco and Home Depot in Ensenada charge about 25 to 30% more for everything. It is why the Chula Vista Costco parking lot is full of cars with Baja plates.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:44 AM

Asuncion weather...too hot..about 88 degrees...sunny skies, calm seas, 8 knots of wind from the west..houses still boarded up in case of rain...juan out tuna hunting.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:54 AM

You may also want to include surgical masks. When septic tanks run off is present and dries on the ground and there is wind or dust you don't want to breath any of that and believe me you will. You can get seriously ill.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:56 AM

Thanks Dan...Consider it added.
Does anybody know anything about quick-lime for animal cadavers?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
The Baja Bush Pilots have a virtual air force lined up ready to go. See details at: http://www.bajabushpilots.com

Includes heavy haulers such as Citation jets and large turbine aircraft and helicopters. What is needed is delivery of goods to airports where the aircraft can be loaded. This is where Nomads can help. See details on the website.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
jerryjust
Junior Nomad

Mood: great

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:31 PM
Rosarito Home!!!!

Anyone going down and need a place to spend time over on the way down we are going down in two weeks to Mulege we have lost our home as we were on the river. Getting things ready to venture down, with water,food,can goods, and coke screws for the Gringos,generator,extension cords,tarps and what ever.We are in Rosarito on the toll road at Rancho Del Mar.20 Km from TJ.
Just Call# 619-507-9338 Jerry or Juanita

Jerryjust

BE WHO YOU ARE:SAY WHAT YOU FEEL:THOSE THAT MIND DON\'T MATTER: AND THOSE THAT MATTER DON\'T MIND;;;;
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 08:26 AM
"Donation Station Update"

Am watching as all continues to develop ... at this time dont see a reason to collect funds as dont yet see a clear path for it being passed/handed/wired into the hands of those capable/able ready to handle ..

Some thoughts .. Organized efforts such as BBP (God Bless them) have their methods and support system in place .. Until roads are open, supplies to buy cannot get TO the areas that need them .. Getting things across the border can be done easier by individuals putting some extras in their vehicle to give along the way ..Border govt policies is a birdsnestnightmare vs area specific agencies that deal with local issues (DIF is great great great)

During HJohn, we maintained control over the disbursement - and made absolutely certain they were utilized in the most needed way.

Idea this time was to be a collection station and forward to reception station but there will be more issues first to figure out..

They need help = LOTS of it = no doubt = and if IF certain things begin to take shape we will step forward and work swiftly to make it happen ...
This is absolutely correct <toneart>: "... multiple funds will emerge. We are still a bit premature with the logistics and yet the need is urgent...now."

Its very frustrating being unable to wave a magic wand to effect an immediate solution .. but there is some comfort knowing the Mexican Government is being proactive - there are so many different issues that need addressing - excellent support for Dennis' idea to be ready rather than paddling against the current after the storm.

Thus we stand by at the ready ... and offer kind thoughts and prayers .. those we know ... those we dont .. bravo for the willingness to step forward and be a giver when its most needed - those who have little to give and yet, are willing to give.

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by CaboMagic]

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 08:39 AM
donations

Here in north Sacramento area we have had a Tipui style fire that burned 60 homes to the ground in just a few hours. On this mornings KCRA 3 news, they have said [49er Auburn fire] they cannot take any more donations, clothes, toys, things you would need if you had nothing.They have to much stuff.

If we could take the extras could we get it across with the new Mexico customs?

martin-o
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 08:53 AM

Here is a list of needed items for those affected by the hurricane. It is, by no means, complete and some items are needed more than others. Although there's a serious need for almost everything imaginable, these items are the ones that were suggested here by Nomads. Add as you see fit and forgive any short-sightedness on my part.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOOLS
shovels
wheelbarrows
Fasteners....nails, screws etc.
wire....rope...all lengths and sizes
construction materials...plywood, 2X4s, etc.
hammers..screwdrivers...pry bars etc.

DUCT TAPE....ALL TAPE

TARPS TARPS TARPS...all sizes

Visqueen....100 ft. rolls [Home Depot etc.]

Roofing material....felt, roll roofing, tar, nails

Hudson Sprayers...
mosquito poison...concentrate
Insect repellent...personal type
Bleach

Toiletries....all types
TP...Paper towels
soap..all types
toothbrushes...toothpaste
Towels and rags
First Aid items....all
bandaids
disinfectant...alcohol, peroxide etc.
Surgical masks and rubber gloves
Feminine Hygiene Products
Deodorant

CLOTHING
ALL SIZES of everything that comes to mind
rain gear
laundry detergent

Kitchen..........all practical items [save the 12 volt Margarita blender for another time]
Pots and pans
cooking utensils
plates etc. paper and other
knives..forks and spoons
cups...paper etc.
can openers
coolers
camp stoves
fuel

IODINE TABLETS for safe drinking water
Water containers

Diapers...disposable
Baby formula
baby bottles
baby food
baby powder
All baby products

BLANKETS...
Air Mattresses

CANNED FOODS all practical types, like SPAM
SPAM....SPAM....SPAM
Pet food

Not last and not least...Teddy Bears [ thanks Diane Trotter]
Any and all toys, for the kids who can't find theirs

AND MORE.........use your imagination
------------------------------------

These are a few suggested items that would take special consideration:

Generator
Gasolene
Propane
Lights
Extension cords
Quick-Lime for the disposal of animal carcasses [does anybody have info on the use of this stuff?]

Add to this list...please. I know much has been overlooked and for future reference, we would like to be reminded of everything.

Thanks Nomads....You're a great group of friends and neighbors.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 09:09 AM

We need a Sand Diego Nomad, hopefully fluent in Spanish, to head to the border and ask Martin's question. The hassle of paying customs keeps a lot of people at arms length from Mexico even in situations like this. I've paid duty (most of my repair stuff after H.John for example) and I've been waived thru in the past, and that's one of the mental overhead problems- hard to gauge what to expect.

If the new Customs regime has an official policy, it would be great to hear what it is. Either relief donations welcome, or no way out of paying duty. That way folks can plan solidly.

Anybody in S.D. that can make a border run & ferret this out?

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 09:32 AM

For pick up in the San Luis Obispo area;

I have ready to go "ten large contractor sized plastic bags" of children's clothing, mostly sweatshirts, jackets, some shoes as well as two large trash bags full of disposable diapers.

If anyone is passing through from now till the Christmas holiday and has the room for some of it, if not all of it, please keep me in mind.

We aren't going down till Dec.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 5-9-2009 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 09:57 AM

perhaps ferna could be of some assistance with border issues

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SunnyDay

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 11:57 AM

Anybody hear if there's damage to La Paz or Todos Santos?

Not finding anything on the web. Thanks.

Headed there in 3 weeks. My main contact in La Paz is in Guatemala!
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyDay
Anybody hear if there's damage to La Paz or Todos Santos?

Not finding anything on the web. Thanks.

Headed there in 3 weeks. My main contact in La Paz is in Guatemala!

I have spoken to two friends in Todos Santos and basically, except for some high winds , there was minimal damage.

the Publeo Magica sign at the south entrance to town was blown over.

As the hurricain passed it was approx one hundred miles offshore of Todos Santos.

bajasuenos

Mood: longing always to be floating in Bahia de Concepcion

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:57 PM

Hola amigos~
We are in Novato CA near Gnoss Field.I beleive Ed Motel flies outta there.hey capt mike??? WHERE can we get supplies dropped off to or collected? do you know if Novato CA Gnoss Field is collecting. Hubby Jim has access thru work of these incredibly tuff giant plastic garbage bags (we call 'em body bags) plus we can donate cases&cases of agua plus TP plus baby wipes........and a CostCo run.tho where to???? pleez advise!
gracias and God Bless

susan & Jim + critters
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 01:14 PM

An earlier post by msawin got me to thinking. KCRA could do itself a big publicity favor by getting active in this cause. That said, any Nomads have connections with the San Diego media? It just seems to me to be a golden opportunity for positive publicity.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 12:29 PM

TIPS FOR BUYING RELIEF SUPPLIES-

contact your local store and ask to purchase cases of items. The manager may sell them to you at wholesale cost if they understand what it's for. If not for wholesale, then for minimum mark up.

Plan ahead for ordering. Smaller stores may only get a delivery once a week but larger stores get deliveries 2-5 times a week.

Even Wal-mart may give you a case discount price.

As happened recently for another tragedy, I'm willing to partner with someone down south, BBP or Nomad to buy supplies. If someone is willing to purchase the goods locally, I'll send them some money.

BBP's are waiting in the wings for the go-ahead. If others feel comfortable doing this type of arrangement, this might be a fast way for supplies to get on the move.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 02:29 PM

Still need to know what the present policy is at the border regarding bringing goods across during this time..we have some big ticket items that will be critical for folks cleaning up down there, (generators, chain saw, pressure washer, etc) and will be crossing at tecate...i never before have declared anything but don't want to be declared a smuggler with this stuff....are they making any exceptions during this time?...anyone crossed at tecate recently with "stuff"???...we leave in a few days...thanks

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Still need to know what the present policy is at the border regarding bringing goods across during this time..we have some big ticket items that will be critical for folks cleaning up down there, (generators, chain saw, pressure washer, etc) and will be crossing at tecate...i never before have declared anything but don't want to be declared a smuggler with this stuff....are they making any exceptions during this time?...anyone crossed at tecate recently with "stuff"???...we leave in a few days...thanks

The policy hasen't changed, Mike. At least to my knowledge, there are no exceptions for emergencys.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.