BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: FMTs being phased out, Mexico getting serious about FM-3s.
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
LESS MONEY TO GOVERNMENT, MEANS MORE MONEY TO THE PEOPLE...

Too bad some in government didn't study Economics 101, instead of Karl Marx!

You must be as old as I am. The text has been updated to reflect "collective good", comrade.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 07:56 AM

I think that $200.00 U.S. for entry fees for me and my son just might be enough to keep us from crossing of the border. It would be hard to justify the expense. It cost exactly $200.00 for a 10 year visa to India.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I think that $200.00 U.S. for entry fees for me and my son just might be enough to keep us from crossing of the border. It would be hard to justify the expense. It cost exactly $200.00 for a 10 year visa to India.

Sure, just drive across the border to India. :rolleyes:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 08:37 AM

The "concept" is basically sound, much like the SENTRI pass. And I think most folks whom have obtained one finds the cost and time involved well worth the "hassle"

In most cases where a Government is going introduce a new "law" they will float a "ballon" to see how fast it gets shot down.. if it looks like it will "fly and/or float" they will move a bit further in the introduction of a "change"

A new law passes then one must adoption of "regulations" for implementation with consideration for "regional" variation in interpretation.. a time frame of then 3-5 years at least.

I for one think it would move more folks quickly and safely across the border, helping rather than hindering "folks" no matter what Nationality.. once all the "bugs" were worked out..

And I really do agree with the Santa Ana point.. but, that kind of stuff will always go on... just like "stealing" and other actions which are part of our society. But, this would be a step in "control" over the 20 lanes of North and South bound traffic each morning/day

And for those who do not have the SENTRI, you have my sympathy ....

Lastly have you ever heard of a Government Agency who did not have a "budget short fall"... they are rewarded for over spending... that way when you submit your new budget for the next year.. you are ALWAYS requesting an increase and it's clearly justified as you ran out of money running your Department/Agency !!!!

And that is the rest of the story

:):)

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by wessongroup]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldlady
Quote:

You must be as old as I am. The text has been updated to reflect "collective good", comrade.

Yah, it sure is sad that instead of learning from real world experiences... they learn from Ivy League universities and commie professors. Since they don't teach real history to kids, those in control can repeat those mistakes made before. Heck, even the Red Chinese have learned how capitalism is supposed to work!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:04 AM

"And for those who do not have the SENTRI, you have my sympathy ...."
Thank You for the sympathy, however, those who cross in an RV are not permitted to use a SENTRI pass........

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:17 AM
Hola

Quote:
Originally posted by noproblemo2
"And for those who do not have the SENTRI, you have my sympathy ...."
Thank You for the sympathy, however, those who cross in an RV are not permitted to use a SENTRI pass........

Yes, but you get to meet so many interesting people that way... and we all get to see that sparkling personality of yours out in public.

Perhaps with the proposed changes, it would allow more time for RV's.. is this the same for trailers?

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:24 AM

Or better yet have a disignated RV crossing lane to expedite crossings to avoid the bumper games while in line.... Waiting in line just gives us time to open all interior cabinet doors to move the inspection times faster, but even with a handicap sticker they still want you to get out, the U.S. border agents seem to have no respect for seniors with disabilities...

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:29 AM
Commie Professors??? Give Me A Break

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yah, it sure is sad that instead of learning from real world experiences... they learn from Ivy League universities and commie professors. Since they don't teach real history to kids, those in control can repeat those mistakes made before. Heck, even the Red Chinese have learned how capitalism is supposed to work!

And if anyone out there thinks we are somehow going to capture terrorists at the border, I've got a bridge for sale. Most of this crap both ways is sabre rattling.

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by Bajahowodd]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

The history that is taught today in our schools is far more inclusive and real than what was taught in the past. In the past, it was only all about white males, and jingoistic ---not unlike many countries. While it needs to go further, it has improved.

I do agree with you about those in control repeating the mistakes of the past----Reagan repeated the mistakes of Hoover, and Bush II had a lot in common with Harding. We are paying dearly for the mess they left behind----it will take a long time to dig out of the moral and economic hole they left behind.

Maybe to end all of this about tourism, just maybe the border should be closed. Yes, it would hurt Baja, but I believe the average Mexican crossing the border going north, spends a lot more shopping than does someone going camping for a few days in Baja. Do you not bring most of what you need from the US?

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by DianaT]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:46 AM
Lanes

Quote:
Or better yet have a disignated RV crossing lane to expedite crossings to avoid the bumper games while in line.... Waiting in line just gives us time to open all interior cabinet doors to move the inspection times faster, but even with a handicap sticker they still want you to get out, the U.S. border agents seem to have no respect for seniors with disabilities...

Have never crossed in an RV, thought you guys had a couple of lanes to the far left "just for RV's"

Please let us know how it works for folks that are going North in an RV.. at SY:):)

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Mexico (Mexicans) really have a lot more to gain from U.S. tourism

I was wondering exactly how much so I did some googling

2008 revenues from tourism in Mexico was $13.2 billion. Mostly from Americans I would guess.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=327941&Categor...

2008 Mexican GDP was $1.567 trillion or 1567 billion.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...

So.....

13.2/1567*100 = 0.84 percent

American tourism dollars amount to chump change in Mexico if I used the right numbers and did the arithmetic correctly.

Of course on a local basis, like in Baja, it's more significant, but thankfully, becoming less and less important.

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by k-rico]
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 09:54 AM

There are lanes that say for RV's, but to the far left at San Ysidro, but cars also pass in those lanes and getting to those far left lanes is next to impossible in an RV because they can't jump in and out of lanes the way the cars do, and no one wants an RV in front of them in line.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:01 AM
got it

Quote:
There are lanes that say for RV's, but to the far left at San Ysidro, but cars also pass in those lanes and getting to those far left lanes is next to impossible in an RV because they can't jump in and out of lanes the way the cars do, and no one wants an RV in front of them in line.

Now that sounds like a whole lot of fun.. maybe a roof mounted 50 cal. would work better than a SENTRI... you still have my sympathy as there is not much one can do at this time, it appears.. perhaps your border pass will have to be XANAX ... just remember to share...

:):)

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:10 AM

"perhaps your border pass will have to be XANAX ... just remember to share..."
Now there's a GOOD idea!!!!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:

2008 revenues from tourism in Mexico was $13.2 billion. Mostly from Americans I would guess.

So.....

American tourism dollars amount to chump change in Mexico if I used the right numbers and did the arithmetic correctly.

Of course on a local basis, like in Baja, it's more significant.

I was comparing the two, specifiaclly as it applies to Baja California. In other words, the impact of U.S. / Canadian tourism on the Baja economy is much greater than the impact of Mexican tourism on the U.S. economy.
Good research, however!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:31 AM

Yes but I think folks put too much weight on the impact of American tourism in Mexico. If the Mexicans want to tighten up their borders, good for them. It appears to be more important to them than tourism dollars.

Living in TJ I've seen the junk stores and bars on Avenida Revolucion go out of business and sure those business folks are hurting, but I say good riddance, in the long run Tijuana will be better off without all that crap.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm

Why, will the both of you be spending more than 180 days down there?

If not, it appears it will still be about 23.00 per person.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:45 AM
not sure

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:

So.....

Of course on a local basis, like in Baja, it's more significant.

I was comparing the two, specifiaclly as it applies to Baja California. In other words, the impact of U.S. / Canadian tourism on the Baja economy is much greater than the impact of Mexican tourism on the U.S. economy.
Good research, however!

Not sure about that, if all Mexican's were removed from the American economy, most food production would stop, and most resturants, automotive repair, and many, many other small business would be knocked out... over night

Not sure the same can be said for the American's impact on the Mexican economy.

At this time, the United States of America has a trade deficit of roughly 74 billion dollars.. that means we owe Mexico!!:):)

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2009 at 10:48 AM

How ignorant can you be? The fact is we need both those who work with their hands and those that work with their minds. Can you imagine what this country would be like if there were no Universities and just a bunch of uneducated DK's running around !
Maybe if you had spent a little time with your formal education to compliment your informal learning ....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.