BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE TOURISM??
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:21 PM

Create a Website that rocks! From interactive to photogenic layouts....the current webs sites out there are dated material. Old and boring. Limited to data.

A Baja Website that shows it all from snorkeling destinations to premier whale watching spots....sports fishing to white sandy beaches. Listings of exclusive Hotels to Bed and Breakfast Inns. Restaurant guild to best taco stands. hell...get DavidK's maps in there too!

It be easy...to promote the site with partnership hosts. I always use the net to look into new areas that I wish to travel.

Like in Cozumel.....they promote the Palancar Reef and Columbia Reefs. Belize has http://www.travelbelize.org/

Yes.....and fix the logjam of traffic at the borders. Fix the Airports to be more tourist friendly....like the Chek Lap Kok Airport

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
OK....we've been watching the good/bad tourism thread along with about a gazillion other sources of news abut how bad tourism in Baja has become.
We attribute this downward trend to the crime, the choked-up border and the economy for the most part, but, accepting these situations as the cause of it all, what's to be done to turn it around?
We need to see practical, real world solutions here...not just complaints about the effects. We need to address the causes and change that.
How can that be done.....realistically done? Not just demanded.

Any ideas out there?

Anthony Bourdain :lol:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:33 PM

here is a little one that might help

limit how the Time Share people are allowed to operate, keep them confined to their projects only, get them off the streets and the airports,, people are so tired of the bull chit from them,
cielo

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
It's all here...it's all about advertising the right way.

YOU'VE GOT TO..... ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE!

How does that eliminate the negatives?

We know full well what the negatives are. I'm just wondering if we're all just peeing in the wind wishing they would go away.

The tourism industry in Mexico will continue to be a shadow of what it used to be until the drug wars end or at least subside to a pre 2006 level. Sure, the US economy is sluggish but that is not the reason people aren't traveling to Mexico. Perception is reality and Mexico is perceived a total mess. We can and have argued all day on whether that's true or not but that doesn't change the way the country is perceived.

To answer your question Dennis, there is very little we can do but hope that the Calderon's replacement is smart enough to bring an end to the Mexican government's declared war on the Cartels. It's obvious that rattling the hornet's nests has made the problem much, much worse than it was in 2006.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Actually, I think that just being part of this forum, posting ideas, photos, trip reports, whatever... is doing a good service to promote Baja tourism. I can't imagine a better PR firm for Baja than Baja Nomads, can you?

Awww man.....you guys have become the problem that the Mexican government hopes for and loves to see. Chamber Of Commerce checks are in the mail for all of you. [you can convert them to dollars at your local Cambio at Costco]

OK....***it. Ain't no problems here that a good fishing story won't fix.

You're all losers because you refuse to see the problems as they are.

Good.

Go effing fishing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:50 PM

Just 3 ideas:

Allow tourist to (legally) arm themselves (and let the crooks know it). When the good people with guns out-number the bad people with guns, crime drops! Places with the stictest gun regulations have the highest crime (because only the criminals have guns).

Turn America back into the growing economy it once was, so we who like to travel can afford to, once again!

Pay the networks to provide true news that is balanced and not just negative about Mexico (even the one 'fair and balanced' network has been anti-Mexico). For every one tourist who is the victim of a crime, there are 1000 who have a great time in Baja. You are far more likely to be robbed or shot at around your American home than at a camp in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cielo
To answer your question Dennis, there is very little we can do but hope that the Calderon's replacement is smart enough to bring an end to the Mexican government's declared war on the Cartels. It's obvious that rattling the hornet's nests has made the problem much, much worse than it was in 2006.

I agree, Cielo, but are you saying captitulation should be the path to peace in Mexico?

By the way....thank you.

Also, by the way....you are aware that the cartels have their own funded candidates for the highest office and below, do you not? This election coming up could well be termed a candidate for, "The Estados Unidos de Guzman."
You know that.....don't you. I'll bet you do.
This, in Mexico, hasn't been a war on drugs for a long time. It's been a war for power.....a war for power to run the country from the ground up and ultimately back the candidate to run the country.
You know this as well.

So....why are we baloneying each other as to the inevitabiles in Mexico? You....and I know what the future holds.
Ain't a pretty picture....is it.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:15 PM

Another reality is the Baja is not the bargain it once was...I still love the place, though.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Another reality is the Baja is not the bargain it once was...I still love the place, though.

Enjoy it, Zac. It won't change much for you and the kids if you won't let it.
What's left of Baja is what you and your kids are all about. Ignore the rest.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:27 PM

Pointing the fingers to Mexico is regards to drug and cartel violence -
let's clean our own house first.

Nobody is smoking, snoring or inhaling all the those drugs in a little Baja rancho somewhere.

All that stuff is destined for the US. Our American friends and neighbors are using a sh*tload of that cartel candy.

I grew up without all that stuff, have not used any or not planning to do so in the future. I do not know anybody who does, or I do not know about.

Don't buy or use any of that stuff - easy?

Karl
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Nobody is smoking, snoring or inhaling all the those drugs in a little Baja rancho somewhere.

All that stuff is destined for the US. Our American friends and neighbors are using a sh*tload of that cartel candy.

Totally wrong. With the advance of the middle class in Mexico [and, it's advancing rapidly] drugs have become popular with them as well, especially the young folks. Just like in the US, the problem is growing here in commonn society as well.
It isn't an issue of infected culture as some would have you believe. It's a matter of middle class income and a yearning to feel good. That's about all there is to it. Give any segment of any society a means to feel better, and they'll take it.....at any cost.
Now....Mexico is doing that as well.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:52 PM

Stop the war on drugs.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:53 PM

Nude beaches. Baja needs tons of nude beaches.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 08:04 PM

My idea for improving tourism would be having less of it.

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 08:15 PM

First of all, a personal account of a great trip to Mexico is worth a great deal. Just today I have posted on two FB threads of friends saying that they are afraid to visit Mexico because of crime (todays crime was the cruise ship bus near PV).

Second, I think it's time we ended the war on drugs. It drains the huge profit out of the drug trade, taxes what has been until now an underground economy, use those taxes to fund drug awareness and addiction treatment facilities. Clear the prisons of people whose only crime was possession.

Legalization of drugs would also help streamline border crossing waits.

Mexico could utilize some of the money they save by ending the "war" to streamline and digitize their land registration and title systems.

a foot of roadway outside the foglines would help a lot, too!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Enjoy it, Zac. It won't change much for you and the kids if you won't let it.
What's left of Baja is what you and your kids are all about. Ignore the rest.

Dennis, you are spot on. My favorite thing about Baja is the time I spend with my family. Period!

Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 08:32 PM

With my sincere apologies to Shari and all the other great Nomads who are running businesses in baja, am I the only one who thinks that we have enough tourism in baja already? I do not want to see further commercial development of Baja. Imagine going down to a beautiful spot like Agua Verde and seeing 3-4 big hotels, speedboats pulling drunk tourists on parasails, 5-6 discos, a golf course, maybe a couple of strip clubs, a cruise ship off the beach, 2-3 Pemex stations and a couple of OXXO's? One Cabo is enough. Too many great spots have already been bought up and plans are in the works. The only thing slowing down that development is slow tourism.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 08:58 PM

I think that the recent pause in tourism spending has given the folks interested in controlling the growth of tourism and development a chance to catch up and get organized.

Only investors (and not even all of those) are in favor of unguided development. Mechanisms are in place to begin protecting fisheries, wetlands and other un-replaceable wilderness areas in Mexico (for example; Wildcoasts land purchases along the Seven Sisters coast). Hopefully this movement will continue even as tourist dollars begin flowing again.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 09:03 PM

I agree Sparetimewanted...but a little extra income from tourism or visitor spin offs sure is nice for some families. We are a very small business in a small village and naturally we value the "smallness" and untouristy place we live in. Luckily our village doesnt depend on tourism. I am really torn at times with progress too and dont want to see big projects but I do support small LOCAL tourism endeavours.

I too would hate to see a big development in Agua Verde...especially if it's near where we "remote" camp. More pristine beaches are being gobbled up and fenced off which is disturbing. But I do believe there can be some balance and certain kinds of small scale development can be positive.

Now to address the original question...I think many suggestions have been made that I agree with...safety would increase with better police training and pay, we must make sure visitors are educated in how to be safe when travelling, somehow get the word out that there are safe areas to travel to in Baja, more trip reports on other websites such as this one, maybe offer more deals due to the poor economy are just some thoughts I have.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 07:14 AM

Mula's recent post about 180 bikers and 6 tour buses pulling into Lopez Mateos for whale watching and dinner reminded me that (I think) ecotourism is increasing as is cruising the peninsula on motorcycles. Ecotourism by design is low impact and good for the local eco-guides and outfitters and both bikers and ecotourists probably make use of hotels and restaurants more than RVers/off-roaders/part-time residents do.

Bright spots perhaps in the baja tourism picture.

I'd love to cruise to cabo on a big road bike, it might be better than my previous baja dream vehicle - a '59 Eldorado. :spingrin:

[Edited on 2-27-2012 by SFandH]

caddilac3.jpg - 5kB
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.