Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: Going Vegan....
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqhar40TVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&...

Lets get the science behind it.

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by deportes]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:39 PM
Fascinating, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqhar40TVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&...

Lets get the science behind it.

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by deportes]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:44 PM

Janene:

Don't recall if I posted this here or not. Last week the Mamaslatinas site had a really good selection of vegetarian Mexican receipes.

Might check them out.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 01:07 PM

Slice chayote into 3/16" discs .Arrange on sheet of aluminum foil
Sprinkle grated cheese over the slices. Add minced garlic and diced tomato
Wrap everything in the aluminum foil
Place in deep pan. cover and light off a low fire. Also works great on a barbecue.
The cheese has cholesterol but oh well you can't have everything...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I went Paleo on May 1st and have lost 50lbs and have maintained that loss.

WOW....you really have shed some kilos. Lookin' good.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 01:26 PM

we have a farmer friend who stated that eating cows is OK since they only eat grass. He says they are vegan. He really isn't wrong.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 01:37 PM
Caution with fads and fats

You can be a fat vegan (or vegetarian). Sources of protein for vegans include nuts and seeds and plant-based oils give the food good taste. These food are nutritious and calorie-dense. There is also good evidence that although we have that nice set of choppers, it is because we are omnivorous by nature. About 80% of the original human hunter-gather diet was plant-based. And it was gathered by women. Arriba las mujeres! Anyway - it seems that hunting was arduous, dangerous and often unsuccessful, so folks needed something to last in between. Some think today's generation is are fat because humans have the capacity to eat as much as possible to store up fat for the times of famine. Humans are pretty adaptable! As for carbohydrate, another plant-based food source, it is needed along with protein and vegetables. Anyone taller than their grandparents or parents were? It because of access to more foods of all kinds in quantity.

30 bananas seems absurd unless one is not going to see food again for a while. Everything in moderation.

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 02:35 PM

Vegetables are what food eats!
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
we have a farmer friend who stated that eating cows is OK since they only eat grass. He says they are vegan. He really isn't wrong.

He's absolutely right! I like pasture raised grass fed beef...what I don't want to eat is feed lot, grain fed, antibiotic and hormone laced inhumanely killed beef.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Quote:

He's absolutely right! I like pasture raised grass fed beef...what I don't want to eat is feed lot, grain fed, antibiotic and hormone laced inhumanely killed beef.

Please describe humane killing.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Quote:

.357 flat nosed wadcutter point blank to the brain, death is instant. The Hogs get a .38.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Quote:

While I certainly respect your position, I am not there and I don't suppose that I could ever describe it in a way that would satisfy you. I can describe it in a way that satisfies me. I am an omnivore, although meat is a very small part of my diet.

While I have friends who disagree, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with raising animals for food providing that they have a life that is free of undue confinement and stress and that they are allowed to have a diet that is natural to them.

The killing of beef cattle that I have owned and eaten was done while they were peacefully grazing...one bullet to the back of the head. An instant death. No fearful stressful trips to a slaughter house.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 08:20 PM

Maybe having their throat ripped out by a coyote is more humane.........

shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 09:29 PM

I was a vegetarian for many years and went vegan for a few years and loved it. I had alot of vegan amigos and NONE were overweight...all were the picture of health and very fit. I really loved eating vegan....lots of grains, nuts, homemade bread, fruit and veggies and of course soy products...I was homesteading with no stores close by so it was a great way to live....very healthy and I felt fantastic. But I missed fish and seafood too much to continue for long.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Can you deep fry a banana? Are they good with cheese sauce?

Fry the macho bananas in lard until they're a nice golden brown. Whip up some gravy with lots of bacon bits just like you would with grits. Pour it all over the banana slices.

Handy accessories...

Sea salt
Pepper
Onion salt
kechup
A-1 Sauce
Defibrillator
I am currently here in Nicaragua and you pretty much get tostones with every meal.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 12:00 AM

I have read this thread with interest. My father was a doctor and he decided that a vegetarian diet was best for us. I was raised a vegetarian and we did use milk and some eggs. Again it was done for health reasons. He had high cholesterol and he controlled it with diet. It was as much about what he did eat as it was about what he did not eat. Over time he found certain things that greatly reduced his cholesterol.

I well remember hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon where my father had rented a room and purchased some meals. We could have hauled our meals down in our packs but he wanted to spare us the extra weight. The only option available was a steak. We ate it because after hiking 12 miles we were hungry and that was all there was to eat.

As a kid, we did use some soy products but most of them have a high fat content so I have learned to cook with out them. Over the years I have cut out most milk and eggs but they are included in many baked goods so it is hard to completely remove them from your diet.

While in Mexico, we normally cook most of our own meals. It is easy to control what you eat that way. The real issue comes when someone invites you to eat out. In the past I used to order dishes that included a lot of cheese instead of meat. After doing some research, I feel that fresh fish is probably better than all that cheese. I have found that if you ask, many places will substitute fish for the cheese in a Chile relleno.

I have found that I can loose weight if I have a salad for one meal per day. If you go light on the dressing, there are not that many calories and it does work. I happen to prefer salsa as my dressing which has lots of taste and not many calories. It then becomes a type of taco salad where you control ingredients. Mine normally include avocado, onion, lettuce and sometimes beans. If you want to make it richer, you can put a hand full of corn chips on the bottom.

A second version of the salad uses cabbage cut up fine, avocado, tomato, cilantro, salt and lime. My wife speaks Spanish and she got this from a cook in a taco stand in Los Barriles. They were using it as a taco filling but it works as a salad also.

The term Vegan has been used in many ways and trying to define it now is hard. I much prefer to say that I live mostly on a plant based diet. That cuts the confusion.

I always include the “mostly” because a little ice cream seems to slips in once in a while.

[Edited on 9-23-2012 by wiltonh]
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 06:35 AM

I am a member of PETA: PEOPLE who EAT TASTY ANIMALS:tumble::spingrin::tumble:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
mes1952
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 08:56 AM

Produce including vegetable and fruits are much cheaper here in Mexico than in the U.S. and do not have chemicals. If you have ever read a produce box which has been shipped from anywhere in the world including Mexico and Chile to the U.S. you will find that most contain a wax substance and other chemicals for preservation; I discovered this when working at SeaWorld in the kitchen and was somewhat shocked although I knew this was the case.
I find recipes on the web rather than in books. Two sites I use often including www.tastespotting.com and www.foodbuzz.com
I make all of my dogs food from scratch (yes they eat meat) and use the web for recipes for them as well. Sometimes I use a human recipe and adjust it for a dog. Also the meat here is much better as it does not contain the multitude of preservatives and chemicals as in the U.S. The only meat I buy (for my dogs) in the U.S. is turkey and lamb which are difficult to find at times here in Rosarito and Tijuana.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 09:11 AM

then what are those planes that fly over the vegetable fields in Maneadero spraying on the crops?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 09:26 AM

Whoa Hoss, serious depressing news for you about chemicals and México.

Unless you are fortunate enough to shop organic tiendas or have a neighbor with an organic garden, most agrarian businesses in México use lots and lots and lots of insecticides, herbicides and fungicides, some of which are not approved for use in or by the USA or Canada.

Decades ago when the "Mexican farmers cannot afford to use pesticides" story was created, it was somewhat true. Not Any More.

Everything from corn, to mangoes are sprayed, repeatedly during each crop. My mango orchard has to get treated twice with fungicide or I would have about 3% of the crop and not be able to pay the water never mind the labor to take care of the trees. Next time you pass through an ag area like San Quintín or Cd. Constitución, look out the side window of your vehicle and you will see trailered plastic reservoirs pulled by tractors, that hold as much as a thousand gallons of chemical mix.

I suspect many commercial dairies in México use:

Recombinant bovine growth hormone. Monsanto obtained approval to market rBGH (known by the trade name Posilac), and the hormone is shipped to México by the truck load. It is administered by injection to each cow.

Contrary to what many Americans believe the term organico is known to many Méxicanos. Many shoppers much prefer organic produce and will choose it over treated produce if they can afford to do so.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.