Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Mulege After Paul?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 01:23 AM

It's a weird thing... Baja on the brain... my whole life!?!:rolleyes::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
and that bridge has been there awhile ! any remember what year it was built ??

The highway was paved north to Santa Rosalia by 1972, and already started to head for San Ignacio in mid '72. So I would guess the bridge was built around then (late '71)?

There was no tall bridge on my first trip to the tip in '66. Just a low one, then along the river to the Serenidad and on south to Comondu and La Paz!

The south to north engineers must have done it different than the north to south,

I´m sure you remember the bridges went were not completed until after the road was paved north to south.

Negotiating those river beds was always a challenge in my "65" Valiant wagon.:o
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 08:08 AM

here's the water going through Loreto,,I beleive where the sunday market is...............I can just imagine the intensity under Mulege's bridge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z...
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 08:31 AM

Squeeeeegeeees have arrived at Robertos Hardware!!!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 02:19 PM

Hey, Richard. Glad to see you are posting. Did your place on the river flood badly? How about that ol Hound dog?? I spent the nite at Cuesta the week before and saw Pepe and Sandra. Hope they arent too stressed. Squeeges and a fire hose! Good luck with cleanup and when you can any fotos would be appreciated! Suerte. Tomas
Bielefeld
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 02:57 PM

We are on our way to Conception Bay and would like to know, just how bad the mosquito situation is in town and out at the bay.
Thanks.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 04:12 PM

Mosquitos in Mulege...

is the least of the town's concern right now.
Wear some Skin So Soft.

edited to say, sorry for a bit of snipiness. Everybody is dog tired and slightly depressed today.

To your question: There is some danger of Dengue as one case has been treated in southern Baja this summer. There is an issue with mosquitos in town in areas with wetness. The municipalities in the whole state have an active spraying program in place and areas of debris and standing water are treated with calcium carbonate in order to dry up asap.

[Edited on 10-20-2012 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 05:25 PM

Mosquitos are invading town qnd swarms of Beasts are invadeing Mulege. !?? What are you proposing? Your small consideration! Locals are sleeping outside and need mosquito netting aqnd Help. Sorry your put out? How about contributions thru Rotary?! Let's all help. Tio
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
There is an issue with mosquitos in town in areas with wetness.

It's difficult to imagine that those living in these vulnerable areas would be caught unprepared for anything. It's not like it's the first time for any of these hazards that come with wind and floods.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 05:38 PM

problem here dennis, is that a lot of folks living in these vulnerable areas don't have the means to deal with some things...like repellant, netting, food, shelter, etc...it all takes money and there just isn't a lot of that around right now...so yeah, they all do what they can but there are limits.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
problem here dennis, is that a lot of folks living in these vulnerable areas don't have the means to deal with some things...like repellant, netting, food, shelter, etc...it all takes money and there just isn't a lot of that around right now...so yeah, they all do what they can but there are limits.

Thanks, Mike. I see what you mean.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 05:53 PM

When we were there in April while exploring around we noticed this new development south of town. Looked like Two nerw Unused Schools and At least 100 new unocupied houses. Whats going on with that? It looks like it would be a ready made fix. and get people out of the flood plain.

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by J.P.]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Mosquitos are invading town qnd swarms of Beasts are invadeing Mulege. !?? What are you proposing? Your small consideration! Locals are sleeping outside and need mosquito netting aqnd Help. Sorry your put out? How about contributions thru Rotary?! Let's all help. Tio

....EngineerMike mentioned that the rotary isn't active right now,,,but he can receive paypal,,make sure funds go to the right place...

from Mike......''I will see that Saul gets it, send paypal to mike<AT>fleming.cc
if you mark it "Gift,flood releif,Saul Fleming" it will come 100 cents on the dollar rather than commission deducted. Last flood he & his family made up food packets for us to distribute to the most desperate families & seniors. Many tears were shed in thanks. Guess its going to be needed again. When I have your money I'll call Saul & get his end handled. Guess I've got to get down there soon to manage my reclamation effort, so I can get the cash to him.''
Mike

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by micah202]
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 07:10 PM

Micah-
On the PayPal page where you send money, below the amount you enter you will see PERSONAL. Click that & make sure GIFT is selected. That eliminates the commission.
Thanks for thinking of Mulege.

Anybody else who wants to donate for food for displaced families, feel free to also donate & I'll see Saul gets food packets out right away.
EngineerMike, papal address: mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com, just cc like in Carbon Copy for those who remember such anachronisms).

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 07:24 PM
Is saul the yellow store on the road ??

HOLA,,I,M TRYING FIND MY PAY PAL PASSWORD AND MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT WAS JACKED IN APRIL !! AND GETTING peeED OFF WHICH TAKES A LOT FOR THIS GUY !! ANYWAY WHO IS SAUL ?? ooop's ,,caps.......now ..here is good example of not to sweat the little things in life !! helping folks out in bad times is where everbody on this chunck of spinnin rock should/can do more of !!.... back to trying to get my hotmail from araibec into english..harder than you would assume !! K&T:cool:
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
HOLA,,I,M TRYING FIND MY PAY PAL PASSWORD AND MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT WAS JACKED IN APRIL !! AND GETTING peeED OFF WHICH TAKES A LOT FOR THIS GUY !! ANYWAY WHO IS SAUL ?? ooop's ,,caps.......now ..here is good example of not to sweat the little things in life !! helping folks out in bad times is where everbody on this chunck of spinnin rock should/can do more of !!.... back to trying to get my hotmail from araibec into english..harder than you would assume !! K&T:cool:

No, Saul Davis is not the owner of "the green market on the highway" he is the owner of the market at the far end of town and one of the most stand up guys you can find anywhere. JMHO. Jim

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by mulegejim]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 07:44 PM
thanks for reply m.JIM

Hola, when coming south right before the bridge and on the right hand side is a yellow store that I used to get sonora beef steaks from and I'd swear in court the guys name is saul and a stand up guy ,,like you say !! I've been stopping there for along,long,long time and he has always been"buena henta" good folk..K&T

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by captkw]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2012 at 08:02 PM

Quote:

Send me your PAYPAL password via u2u and I will figure it out for u.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
When we were there in April while exploring around we noticed this new development south of town. Looked like Two nerw Unused Schools and At least 100 new unocupied houses. Whats going on with that? It looks like it would be a ready made fix. and get people out of the flood plain.

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by J.P.]

That is about what the government thought when they built these little houses. They had a certain amount of money and built them as cheaply as possible. They have a small kitchen which will allow you to sit at the table, open the refrigerator, wash your hands, stir things on the stove. They have a bedroom (only 1) which will not allow anything larger than a double bed, a small bathroom with shower and stool. Since they were built with gov. contractors most of the workmanship is pretty shoddy and already you can see stucco falling off and leaky roofs, as well as windows that sort of open.

They have a whole bunch, in a small village in Mulege and a larger set of them just south of the Technolgy College in Santa Rosalia. The ones in Santa Rosalia are on a beautiful bluff looking out over the ocean but not one has a window facing the sea.

Both projects have had serious problems with electricity, plumbing, water supply and have been seriously rejected by the people who are eligible to move in. If you own another property that was hurt in a hurricane or flood, you can trade into one of the properties but you give title to your old property.

If these houses had been built by someone developing, they would have built them better, probably for about the same money, but would have done a lot to make them attractive and sellable (if not why build them).

I have friends who have used salvagable materials like plywood, opened up barrels, etc., etc., and they have a much better personality than these houses. In addition, most people live in a neighborhood and enjoy the company of their friends and family, but they are forced to move into a "compound" away from their friends and family and in most cases, away from work, market, church, and the things that make their life go around.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 08:16 AM

Capt. The yellow store on the highway in Mulege's owner is Pauncho.

And re- the new housing south of Mulege: There is no shade. Far from downtown with no public transportation to and from.

The flood plain people don't want to give up their family lots and homes in Mulege to live in a displaced barrio.

There are some of these little houses built on the hill just off the Cadeje airstrip - with no shade and no water. Who wants to live there?
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.