BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: TECATE COPS.....AT IT AGAIN
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 12:40 PM

Lee a person has to pull the right chains.

"Empty your pockets"
"Why?"
"Just do it"
"OK. But after, you and I go to the oficina de turismo de Baja California".=

The cop would be out of his mind to press it from there but let's say he does...
At the tourism office on the south side of Tecate's main central park/plaza

(Describe what happened, the time the license number, the cop's ID. It is a FEDERAL OFFENSE in Mexico for a traffic cop cop to not provide ID when asked to do so)

Politely tell the tourism official you intend to go to the San Diego Union Tribune and tell the story to a reporter. The State Tourism Board is lock, stock and barrel hooked into big tourism business especially in Tijuana and Ensenada. These big boys do not want to have their income jeopardized by a 2-bit cop, and "headlines" screaming corrupt cops in Mexico. Ir isn't about law, it's about money. Big shots who eat mayors and police chiefs and fart traffic officers.

Then have the tourism people call the Green Angels. Tell them you have a car problem. Fill out a federal complaint form. The federal tourism board will scream at the cops, the state tourism board and let big tourism business (camara comercio de ciudades) know a federal complaint has been filed.

I guarantee that cop is going to wish he had been stillborn.

One of the first things I learned about Mexico is to never, ever get in the way of a rich powerful patron and his source of income.

And such a tack is not recommended for a simple citation. Only for serious stuff like theft, roadside searches where a cop's hands go into your pocket, or an extensive vehicle search. A drawn firearm is another no-no. So are esposas (handcuffs).

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 04:04 PM
Tourism Contacts

Good information, David

Print this out and carry with you in your car if you travel in Baja California (Norte).

I also suggest that you contact Director Juan Tintos Funke and Tecate Sub Delegation Sub Delegate Eva Raquel García Rocha if you have any problems in Tecate.

SECRETARÍA DE TURISMO DEL ESTADO DE BAJA CALIFORNIA
Juan Tintos Funcke
Secretario

José de Jesús Quiñónez Ramirez
Subsecretario de Turismo del Estado
jjquinonez@baja.gob.mx

Felizardo Palacios Pérez
Director de Mercadotecnia
Héctor Reyes Orrantia
Director de Planeación y Fomento a la Inversión
hreyes@baja.gob.mx

Maria Guadalupe Rivera Aguirre
Directora Administrativa
mgrivera@baja.gob.mx

Arturo Martínez Esquer
Subdirección de Facilitación y Asistencia al Turista
amartineze@baja.gob.mx

Roberto Karlo López Paéz
Subdirección de Comunicación y Relaciones Públicas
rklopez@baja.gob.mx

NUESTRAS OFICINAS
Oficina Central
Calle Juan Ruiz de Alarcón No.1572
Zona Río, C.P. 22320
Tijuana, B.C.
Tel. (664) 682-3367
Fax (664) 682-9061

OUR OFFICES
Central Office
Juan Ruiz de Alarcón St. No.1572
Zona Rio, C.P. 22320
Tijuana, B.C.
Phone (664) 682-3367
Fax (664) 682-9061

Rosarito Beach Delegation
Delegate:
Héctor Reyes Orrantía
rosaritotur@baja.gob.mx
Blvd. Benito Juárez #907 Suite 29
Shopping Center "Oceana Plaza", Downtown Zip Code 22710
Playas de Rosarito, B.C.
Phone (661) 612-5222 and (661) 612-5127
Phone and Fax (661) 612-0200

Tecate Sub Delegation
Sub Delegate:
Eva Raquel García Rocha
ergarcia@baja.gob.mx
Libertad Alley Downtown
Tecate, B.C.
Phone and Fax (665) 654-1095

Ensenada Delegation
Delegate:
José Angel León Zumaran
jleonz@baja.gob.mx
Blvd. Lázaro Cárdenas and Las Rocas St. No.1477
Ensenada, B.C.
Phone (646) 172-5444
Fax (646) 172-5372

San Quintin Sub Delegation
Sub Delegate:
Ramón Villavicencio Aguilar
rvillavicencio@baja.gob.mx
Carretera Transpeninsular
Km. 178.3 Col. Santa Fe
San Quintin valley, B.C
Phone (616) 165-3645
Fax (616) 165-3645

Mexicali Delegation
Delegate:
Eloy German Moreno
egmoreno@baja.gob.mx
Blvd. Benito Juárez No.1 and Fco. Montejano 2nd floor
Mexicali, B.C.
Phone (686) 566-1277 - 1116 - 1739 - 1705

San Felipe Sub Delegation
Sub Delegate:
Linda Perez Garcia
Ave. Mar de Cortés y Calzada Chetumal # 101
Local 2, Zona Centro. C.P. 21850
San Felipe, B.C.
Phone (686) 577-1865
and (686) 577-1155

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by bajaguy]

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 05:46 PM

I for one have copied this list onto the hard drive to be printed when I get to an empresora.

Thank You Bajaguy!!!

And these folks have fluent English speakers at hand.

But they need data.

1. When date & the hour
2. Where
3. The name of the cop and or his badge number
4. License plate of the cop car and or the unit number
5. Did the cop bring up the words, Multa, Dinero, Lana, Pesos, Dolares?
6. He is allowed to say infraccion, or delito.
7. He is allowed by law to take your driver license. Sorry but that's the law in all 31 states.
8. He can ask to see your auto registration. He cannot with hold the paperwork from you,
9. Point 8 is different for Mexican placard motor vehicles. He can keep the paperwork.
10. Patting his holster, brandishing handcuffs is considered intimidation a serious offense.

Two or three cops wrung through the official wringer will put a halt to this, UNLESS the city fathers don't care. Towns like San Quintin and Constitucion do not have the intense tourist trade nor rich powerful people who take harassment of tourists as seriously as city fathers in Tijuana, Ensenada, La Paz, or the cape. Keep this in mind. Tecate wants more tourists but it is the state tourism board that is the "presence" there. Patrones in Ensenada watch Tecate because it is a corridor for tourists to get to the Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada.

I have witnessed (at a respectful distance) a really peeed-off dressing down of a police chief by a couple of bigwigs. The language was ugly and the threats scary. Too bad it is all about money and not about justice. The Mexican public gets short changed, but what the hell a julia malo who screws with gringos is most likely doing the same to Mexicanos

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/14048_dan_de_baja_a_pol...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 09:19 PM
The BEST policy and most important thing ....................

Is whether the Mordida overture is Reasonable under the circumstances.

And, therefore, worth a "Pay and GO".

As long as they resist the temptation to be TOO greedy, I'll play.

And pay.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

If nothing else, it gives us a new guideline for our own methods. Don't keep money, or pocket knives, in your pockets.

..unless they are "high pockets" and you have two of them, like I do. ;D

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2012 at 01:54 AM

Luv2fish's link is the perfect example of 2-faced justice. Had the infracciones been directed at tourists (the cop was citing commercial vehicles for double parking) for shaking them down for frivolous or fictitious infracciones this is when the biggies COULD step in and tell the juez his cajones are resting in the palm of their hand.

A Tecate migra thought he could shake me down. So I started carrying my Panasonic voice recorder in my shirt pocket. One day he waved me over and told me "Estas detener" you are under arrest.

Oh what a conversation. The charge (utterly fabricated), an elaborate plan for him to follow me to an ATM machine and extract money for la mordida. I mispronounced his name on purpose. He corrected me several times. I complained I was hard of hearing. He fairly shouted instructions. Including the exact route to get from the INM office to the BanaMex.

I used an ATM card with no balance. The machine rejected it. The recorder got every single curse and threat.

He released me in disgust and warned me he would shoot me if he ever saw me again.

I went to the tourism office doing my damndest to not laugh and blow it. They listened to the tape and called the PGR. The feds showed up a half hour later. We went to the immigration office. I can tell you for a fact the face of the Jefa (it was a woman) went pure white. They arrested the jerk (trust me the sweat and and the shaking were not faked) they cuffed him and placed him in the back of a car and drove off. I signed a federal complaint. A few days later I was told the guy was in the reclusorio awaiting trial. Not by officials, but by influential Mexicans on the US side.

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 09:28 PM
This is the end...

Ok this is it..
Thank you Baja Guy for the list and phone numbers, DavidE yes...
The day before we drove home I checked this link for any updates on info that might be useful driving north. To just have a name like Eva Rocha in the back of your brain to pull out if needed...

Again the road north was shut down for over two hours. No Calif. plated cars driving from the south into Tecate. The jeep in front of me I think was a Gringo that worked in Tecate. He was minutes ahead of me. I was car #2 with Cal. plates. The second street past the jeep, a truck got me. While the agent talking with me an other Polica car pulled up next to my car and stopped and the driver looked in at my wife and drove on. This was all planed out. The first two Calif Plated cars coming into town stopped.

My wife did not feel intimidated or bothered when the Polica officer talked with her and searched the front of my car nor did I. We will drive back south Thru Tecate in February...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 09:56 PM
searced the fr of car ???

under the hood ?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 06:48 AM

i drove thru monday...no problems...no cops waiting on every corner

wait was 45 minutes...but later it increased

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
"Your trailer is too long for Mexico"

I decided to do a Laurel & Hardy. I rummaged around the inside of the trailer finding a pencil and paper. "Can you draw me a map how to get to SCT in Ensenada for a permit?"

What is SCT?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
To just have a name like Eva Rocha in the back of your brain to pull out if needed...

Oh well....you're stuck there for a while so you may as well throw down a gauntlet or two. The cop won't mind. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
What is SCT?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_of_Communications_and_Transportation_(Mexico)
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 10:33 PM

We had a caravan of three cars full of gringos drive through Tecate on Sunday, Nov. 11th. Made sure we stopped at every stop sign and drove slow. I saw three motorcycle cops at three different areas on the way to the border. All just checked me out and had no reason to pull any of us over.

The border wait was the worst I have ever seen in Tecate. 2 1/2 hours at 2:30pm......

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 11:05 PM

I get the feeling that who some drive through Tecate believe that if they obey the speed limit, come to a full and complete stop at stop signs, and drive extra slow, then there will be no reason for Tecate cop's to pull them over. Delusional. And lucky.

Call me a pessimist. I do all the above and anytime I drive through Tecate, or CC, I expect to be stopped.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 05:59 AM

It may be helpful to complain directly to one of the "Biggies", like LA Cetto, El Rey Sol, Hotel Coral, and there are more, hopefully others will chime in here. Tell someone in authority there that "you might not be back because of all the problems you have had in Tecate".

The owners of these places get together frequently or dar chisme on the telephone. Eventually the jefes in Tecate are going to get a most unpleasant telephone call. Krap runs downhill and will get smeared all over the police chief.

It's not fun to interrupt an otherwise perfect trip to complain to the state tourism board and find a Green Angel to file a federal complaint. But an astonishing few people do it, and that is the one and only problem getting in the way of fixing this for good. I really doubt the bigwigs in Ensenada really took a scattered bit of gossip seriously. Just let people in authority know "I'm scared to come because of the Tecate cops". You can bet your sweet bippy this is going to work its way upwards to the people who really run the state. Tourism in the Guadalupe valley lives and dies by Mex 3 and the big wheels of tourism businesses can make the Tecate police chief one of the unhappier souls on the face of the earth.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
It's not fun to interrupt an otherwise perfect trip to complain to the state tourism board and find a Green Angel to file a federal complaint. But an astonishing few people do it...

No, it's not fun. Consider that astonishing few gringos know this country well, even if they own a vacation property there. Often they are unwilling to do anything because their Spanish doesn't go beyond phrases like "dos cervezaz por favor" :)

David, is there any source other than wandering "angels" to get those forms, and where one normally should take it to?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
It may be helpful to complain directly to one of the "Biggies", like LA Cetto, El Rey Sol, Hotel Coral, and there are more, hopefully others will chime in here.

The single dissenting voice will be lost in the wind. What is needed is solidarity....an organized group of voices, such as a travel club, to be heard and respected. I'm sure that a well composed letter of intent to avoid all activities between the Tecate border gate and Ensenada from the Vagabundos [for instance] would get everybodys attention.

[Edited on 11-16-2012 by DENNIS]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 12:52 PM

I'm not so sure Dennis. A word to a hotel manager, the owner of a large and popular tourist restaurant will not be forgotten. If more than one tells an influential business owner "Sorry but I may not be back" it sticks in their craw.

But of course as far as the club thing is concerned, sure it would pack wallop. But everyone needs to pitch-in, especially those folks who get nailed. I've talked to too many people that get terrified when they get pulled over. They attempt feeble bargaining, get a insanely high quoted "infraccion" reduced to merely a totally outrageous amount of money and then head for the border with their tail (and tale) between their legs. It isn't just that one cop that gets his pump primed either -- cops gossip and the lure of easy money will encourage others to do the same. Do I want to spend three hours somewhere running a prick through the reamer? Hell No.

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-16-2012 at 01:47 PM

I don't know how many times I have crossed Tecate but in 20 years it is "mucho" and I have never been stopped and this is true, with one exception in Vera Cruz, for my visits all over Mexico. I have traveled Mexico since the early 70's.

bacquito
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.