Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: immigration presentation in Loreto today
Scorpimon
Junior Nomad

Mood: Irie

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 07:42 PM

MsTerieus

I applied 11/13 just after the new regulations went into effect. The Visa issued by the Mexican Consulate is good for 180 days and not 30 days. All the financial documents were in English.

The other documents they wanted were the generic application form (?) explaining who you are and what you want and documents the other documents. Passport and copy were needed as were two mug photos.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Well....WTF is an Inmigrante card? Is that what is issued for Residente Perminente?

And this: NO INMIGRANTE. Are they really going to issue a card that says you arn't this: INMIGRANTE?

The NO INMIGRANTE is what replaced the FM3 a couple of years ago, the INMIGRANTE was the FM2 (INMIGRADO was the next stage).

Since that FMM advice quotes terms which are no longer current (both have been replaced with Residente Temporal, and Inmigrado with Resident Permanente), it does make you wonder how up-to-date it is.

Rob

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 07:51 PM

Thanks, Rob. I'm just confused andhave a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better.
I have to do something quickly since my ninth year of FM3/FM2 is due to expire mid December.
These new regs, whatever they really are, are seeming more harsh as time goes on.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
I have to do something quickly since my ninth year of FM3/FM2 is due to expire mid December.

I have similar timing and 7 years of FM3. My understanding is my choices are:

1. apply for a 2-year temporary resident permit to replace the FM3. (2 years because I already have 2 years on the CURRENT document, so that takes it up to 4 years when I can trade it for a permanent resident permit, under the current rules). This looks totally straightforward and is unlikely to need income proof (for non-working). Seems low risk.

2. apply for permanent residence, on the basis I have been here more than 4 years. This requires both FM3's to be continuous with no gaps and no fines ever. I'll have to double-check whether there was a gap due to delays in processing, I can't remember. Some will still say current document only counts, but the very latest rules (and the law) do allow more than one document if no breaks. This, as you can see, is fluid and a bit more uncertain.

3. there are also the income, assets and property ownership routes to permanent, which don't take into account any previous residence. I doubt I could pull the right paperwork together this year, my stuff is scattered across a lot more countries and currencies than most.

So my first choice is #2, if the FM3's work together, else #1 and maybe do #3 next year or just wait another year and then convert the temporary to permanent.

For you, I assume you have 4 years on your current FM2? That should be directly exchangeable for permanent residence with no income proof, which would really be the way to go if at all possible, no more renewals "ever" (until the next type of card comes out).

Whatever you do, apply in good time, DON'T let the current card expire. It does give grandfathered rights.

Rob

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:37 AM

Thanks again, Rob. Income requirments arn't an issue for me. I'll try for some clarrification today.
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpimon
MsTerieus

I applied 11/13 just after the new regulations went into effect. The Visa issued by the Mexican Consulate is good for 180 days and not 30 days. All the financial documents were in English.

The other documents they wanted were the generic application form (?) explaining who you are and what you want and documents the other documents. Passport and copy were needed as were two mug photos.

Thanks, Scorpioman. I have a friend who did something similar in Seattle and had no problem.

Ironically, the Mexican Consulate in San Diego has a web site that is not helpful at all. Furthermore, it actually says "for information about an FM3, click here." (Now WHY do they still call it an FM3?) When you "click here," it says, "Mexican Consulates in the USA no longer issue nor renew FM3s. For FM3 and Visa petitions please contact INAMI (Mexico's National Migration Institute)." (No mention anywhere of the current visas' names.)

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sandiego/index.php/fm-3

On first read, I thought maybe they just meant that they did not issue "FM3s" because no FM3s are being issued anywhere (they have been replaced with visas by other names). However, I don't think that was the point - I think they are saying that one cannot obtain or renew any visa in the USA. And yet, just 2 weeks ago, I was personally turned away from the Immigration Office in Ensenada, when I tried to apply for a no-inmigrante visa there, and told I had to do this in San Diego!

Go figure. It's better than Kafka could have dreamed.

So, I think I will be taking the advice of the wise Nomads who advised me just to sit tight and wait until somebody here figures out where and how visas will be issued.

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by MsTerieus]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 04:12 PM

OK....here's how it went for me yesterday with my independent agent.
I had an FM3 for five years and an FM2 for four years.
I now give him six months of bank statements, a copy of my passport. my FM2 along with 600 dollars for the Residente Permanente card, and it's over for me.
The price will vary from agent to agent, but the government gets around $275 of the 600.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:00 PM

Jesus Cristo, Dennis, that's worse than a mordida!!! SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!

And you'll STILL have to go down there at least once for fingerprinting. :no:

Edit: Not only that, you should qualify for the Permanente with NO FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE, by virtue of having been on an FM2 and FM3 for at least four years.

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by Hook]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Jesus Cristo, Dennis, that's worse than a mordida!!! SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!

And you'll STILL have to go down there at least once for fingerprinting. :no:

Edit: Not only that, you should qualify for the Permanente with NO FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE, by virtue of having been on an FM2 and FM3 for at least four years.

I'm beyond caring, Hook. It just serves to illustrate the autonomy of these IMN offices. No two are the same and I know this agent charges too much, but I'll take the one last hit.
I just want it over so I can wander into the dessert and die.....legally.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
I now give him six months of bank statements, a copy of my passport. my FM2 along with 600 dollars for the Residente Permanente card, and it's over for me.
The price will vary from agent to agent, but the government gets around $275 of the 600.

you know, I'm almost ready to throw money at someone to fix it. but...but...I've done it by myself now for 8 years and I guess I'm stubborn enough to want to finish that way. I plan DIY one more time, whatever it takes. one Permanent Resident card, please, sir or madam, and I never ever every have to see INM again?
PRICELESS

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
you know, I'm almost ready to throw money at someone to fix it. but...but...I've done it by myself now for 8 years and I guess I'm stubborn enough to want to finish that way. I plan DIY one more time, whatever it takes. one Permanent Resident card, please, sir or madam, and I never ever every have to see INM again?
PRICELESS

Over time, the Ensenada office has installed so many hurdles [uncrossed Ts and undotted Is] in their efforts to force the use of an agent that most are afraid to try the solo route.
The agent I use can probably foresee a drop in repeat business so he's going for the final hurrah.
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:45 PM

Quote:

That's awful, Dennis! $600?! If the government gets only $275, does that mean the agent is taking the rest? If so, either agents charge a LOT MORE for the permanent residency card than they do for a no-imnigrante visa/card, or rates have gone way up over the past few months, or your agent is just more expensive than the one I had checked with (Carlos V.)! But I totally understand your resignation -- I'm getting close to it, myself.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:58 PM

I have used Carlos V for many years.....smooth and seamless. This year should be the last time. I'll pay whatever just to get it over with.

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 06:13 PM

Quote:

To be fair to the agent, the government will get at least 1000+3815=4815 pesos ($370) of that. And as you say, he'll be losing all that repeat business if successful. Seems reasonable. This isn't really something where it's worth spending time shopping around for somebody cheap, might as well do the whole process yourself if you have the time for that.

Rob

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 06:29 PM

I thought the govt. fee was around 3000 Ps. I lost track of most posted details a long time ago I suppose.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
I thought the govt. fee was around 3000 Ps. I lost track of most posted details a long time ago I suppose.

agree, Perm. Resident fee is 3200 +/- a few pesos. not sure where Riom came up with another 1000??? am I missing something?

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by rhintransit]

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
agree, Perm. Resident fee is 3200 +/- a few pesos. not sure where Riom came up with another 1000??? am I missing something?

There's first of all a change of status application fee of 1000 pesos (at the time of application), and a fee of 3815 pesos when the permanent card is issued. Total 4815 pesos ($370) just in government fees, currently.

Full list of the temporary and permanent fees and a link to the original DOF (government) source: New Immigration Fees

Rob

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:12 AM

It's possible there's some page translation fees in there, by the agent. Some "official" translators charge 100 pesos per page.

We did not go in to our local office last Monday as expected. The very painful death of our oldest dog just left us unwilling. Next Monday, for sure.

I'd say the Ensenada office is the reigning PITA king of all the INM offices. Maybe that is money well spent, Dennis.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Quote:

There's first of all a change of status application fee of 1000 pesos (at the time of application), and a fee of 3815 pesos when the permanent card is issued. Total 4815 pesos ($370) just in government fees, currently.

Full list of the temporary and permanent fees and a link to the original DOF (government) source: New Immigration Fees

Rob

all is so clear as mud. the link does say 1000 fee 'change of status' indeed, but with a note, such as when changing from temporary to permanent. going from an expired status, as we all are, to the newly created categories would not qualify as a 'change of status' to me, but, hey, I'm not INM...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I'd say the Ensenada office is the reigning PITA king of all the INM offices. Maybe that is money well spent, Dennis.

Well spent for me.

Really sorry about the loss of your dog, Hook.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.