Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Favorite Foods Or Condiments To Bring From The States
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Most of the big chains in La Paz claim Sonoran beef, Ley's, Soriana, Chadraui, City Club and even Walmart I believe.

Must be a whole lot of beef critters in Sonora, but if that's what they claim, it must be true. :lol:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 12:45 PM

The list of needs or just wants from the states gets shorter every year. We still like to bring down some fancy nuts from TJ's, and the big bars of chocolate, but it is really amazing that we can get such a wide variety of goods here in Los Cabos these days. Used to be that gringos were just about the only shoppers in Costco. Now, the tide has turned. The Mexican middle class is going strong.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
wine
rib eye steaks
whole bean coffee
beef jerky

Guy, Whole bean coffee out of Starbucks in Ensenada? It probably came out of their distribution and bean grinding center on Johnson Lane in Minden/Gardnerville, NV.:lol:

That's why I bring mucho coffee with me to Baja, cuts out the import tax.

Wine - Guadalupe Valley, many excellent selections

Rib eye steaks - Polito's in Maneadero or San Nicholas in Ensenada

Whole bean coffee - many small independent roasters in Ensenada, or buy from Starbucks in Ensenada

Beef jerkey - not good for you, too much salt

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 11:26 AM

For Dennis and others that mentioned curry powder: I'm an Indian food fanatic and do a lot of cooking. When you say curry powder, really what is meant is garam masala powder which is only added at the very end of cooking a curry! The spices that cook in the curry for a long time are typically cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne powders. But you can make your own garam masala from whole spices like clove, bay leaf, cinamon sticks, peppercorns, and the only hard to find ingredient which is either green or black cardommon pods (but they can be bought online with Amazon.). Here is a recipe for one of the basic garam masalas (keep in mind there are scores of different interpertations) It will be fresher and more intense than anything you will buy off a store shelf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzbtkLe2X_w

Mercado Roble has 2 locations in Ensenada, they carry a few hard to find things and also take orders from Trader Joes (they go once a week). Its the only spot where we find real whipping cream from Alta Dena and even goats milk

http://mercadoselroble.com/roble_organicos/index.php

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 12:50 PM
REAL VANILLA IN MEXICO?

I dare you to try finding it. One time, I checked over 20 stores in Lazaro Card##as Michoacan with no luck. When I finally found some in Zihuatanejo it was SIX TIMES AS EXPENSIVE as the real vanilla in COSTCO NOB which was far better vanilla. OK, try finding real vanilla in Ensenada, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz or "Los Cabos"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindalou

Why would you bring vanilla? Mx. has the really good stuff.

Actually, they don't. What's usually available here is a low grade extract, in most cases artificial, and many brands available NOB and online far surpass it in quality.
Another thing I've been unable to find here are Vanilla Beans...... as we call them.....the seed pods. I've searched high and low without luck.

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by DENNIS]

Buy on line:
http://www.amazon.com/Award-Winning-Mexican-Vanilla-Beans/dp...

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
For Dennis and others that mentioned curry powder:

Thanks Mike. These days, I'm buying all my spices here:

http://www.penzeys.com/
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 02:20 PM

I never use vanilla, bought some once for a friend that baked all the time years ago in Algadonas, she loved it.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 02:26 PM

Also, DO NOT USE MEXICAN VANILLA if you are taking the medicine COUMADIN. So many Mexican vanillas contained COUMADIN that US Customs banned Mexican vanilla from importation both commercially and via private carry-ins across the border. More than a few contained more coumadin per dose than the full legal dosage permitted in Rx coumadin.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Also, DO NOT USE MEXICAN VANILLA if you are taking the medicine COUMADIN. So many Mexican vanillas contained COUMADIN that US Customs banned Mexican vanilla from importation both commercially and via private carry-ins across the border. More than a few contained more coumadin per dose than the full legal dosage permitted in Rx coumadin.

Mexican rats must like vanilla in their cookies.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 03:09 PM

Also, Tienda de Aborrotes EL MEY in Sta Rosalia, carries superb beef, and the carnicero will cut it to your thickness. The last "T" bone I purchased had a fork tender filet mignon and an almost fork tender New York strip. These steaks IMHO are as good as any four-time-as-expensive Costco steak. Other regional steak I've tried will rip the incisors out by the roots.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 03:13 PM

Quote:

Been carrying across, and declaring Mexoican Vanilla at US Customs POE for the last 21 years, no problems.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 03:25 PM

I love Grey Poupon and more recently Colman's mustard, and haven't found it down here...also I like Miracle Whip and they don't have it in Ensenada. I quit buying beef down in Mexico because they tell you it;s New York, Prime Rib, Porterhouse and half the time it's a gamble because it tastes nothing like what you asked for and is tough as nails. Can't complain about the carne asada in the tacos though...always a good experience. Oh yeah, and Sano's doesn't lie about their steaks!!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 03:35 PM

I don't know about you, but I have never heard a review from a live one!!
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:

Mexican rats must like vanilla in their cookies.:biggrin::biggrin:
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:49 PM

See's candies-- nuts and chews
CA pinot noir=Kosta Browne

Life is too short to drink bad wine
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:54 PM

...some good chocolate,,,,
,,,,and hearty ale's for when the norte's blowing!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:26 PM
capitol kat - See's Candies

I don't crave them, but our daughter mails a couple of boxes down to us on the holidays.

The nuts'n'chews are the best and the boxes don't last a week around here.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:30 PM

A lot of people mentioning good chocolate. We buy Lindt's in various flavors over here; is Lindt's considered "good" chocolate? Seems good to us. Goes with the madeiras or the tawnys. It's at Leys and at Walmart.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:47 PM

I like Cadbury's myself. Especially the Fruit and Nut, and you can get it at any store.
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:59 PM

I know this isn't a food or condiment but we always bring our own sunscreen down. Even at Costco, Walmart etc. sunscreen is super expensive south of the border.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.