Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: CPB Pressure Cookers Being Siezed
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard

Boy, some of you are grumpy old people!.

I am not that old ;D

62 just makes me feel old :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 12:36 AM
Scepticism is beginning to dawn in America!

Thing don't change much!

Way back in the 1960's when I was in the UK special forces we used to joke about the Soviets - "If there weren't any Russians we'd have to invent them!" was a frequent comment. All of that in order to justify the spending on 'Defence'.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by cessna821]

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by cessna821]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by Howard

Boy, some of you are grumpy old people!.

I am not that old ;D

That just leaves, grumpy. :lol:
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 06:52 AM

This is hilarious, DK makes a couple of typical DK remarks on the first page of this post and 2 pages later the "gang of five" is still taking shots at him. You guys have been had, DK threw a chicken in the water and the sharks are still fighting over it. Good for you for staying out of it DK, you're learning....:lol::lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 06:54 AM

I love this thread, please keep it going im rolling on the floor.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:38 AM

Yeah, well, it wont be so funny when they take YOUR pressure cooker...

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:52 AM
A rare political piece

The Disagreement at Spirit Lake

Mark called it a “Man-out”, a men only fishing trip to the Larson cabin in upstate New York right on picturesque Spirit Lake. First day, Mark and his dad Aaron opened up the cabin, got everything stored and cleaned and unpacked. It had rained about an hour of the trip from Aaron’s home in Glens Falls and now with a big steak dinner settling, they were weary but unbowed, brandy in hand on the porch overlooking the lake.

On the way up they had talked about family things, the market, Iran, real estate and D.C. Marc had been recruited as an aid to Senator Daniel Harkinson (D) South Dakota less than four years out of law school from his first job with a small Virginia law firm. The whole Larson clan was proud of Mark – the only holdout was the old man. They all knew that Aaron held hope that Mark would use his knowledge of the law to solve people’s legal quarrels, make a good life for himself and his family doing that in Virginia or somewhere in the east.

The irony of the Larson Farms Curse hung heavily in the air at times like these. Mark knew that his family had nearly lost everything while he was in law school. For three long years Aaron was forced to encumber every thing he owned to pay the attorneys from keeping the government from shutting him down. Larson Farms prevailed in court but only after draining the coffers to a point that set the operation back decades. No moon tonight, just the starlight shimmering off the lake. There might as well have been a huge neon sign glowing out there right now, blinking, blinding: Eminent Domain.

Mark was thinking “Well, if not here and now, then where and when would be a good time to tell him about running for congress.”

He got right after it. Why put it off any longer. “Harkinson and Farrell of the DNC called me in last Monday to ask me if I wanted to run for Harkinson’s seat in November when he retires.” There, he said it, it was out there now.

“Well, don’t leave me hangin’. What did you tell em?”

“I told them I’d think about it.”

Aaron said “What does Sky think?”

“Well, she knows the campaign can be a killer for everyone but the DNC has me ahead of Rasmussen going in so I have a chance.”

“And if you lose? What then?”

“The move from Lipscomb to D.C., moneywise, was a wash but if I lose they’ll find me something else in the capital or I guess I could go back to Virginia, join another firm or go out on my own.”

Aaron went back in the cabin, came back out with the brandy bottle. “Well, son thanks for the notice.”

“That’s it? I drive all the way up here to drop the bomb and you say ‘thanks for the notice’?”

“You’re gonna do what you want. You don’t want or need my approval or my blessing or my thoughts. You can’t have my approval or my blessing and you don’t really want to hear what I think about the U.S. Congress and its esteemed members. I came up here to spend some time with my boy and maybe catch some fish.”

“Dad, what have you got against success? If I win, my family will be more secure and I might be in a position to help you and Mom. What’s wrong with wanting that?”

“Don’t worry about Lydia and me. We’ll be fine. We don’t need any help. Outside of some catastrophic medical calamity I don’t know why we would need your help. Anyway, you’re not gonna tell me, at this late date, that it’s about the money. Aren’t you gonna tell me it’s about serving your country, a call to duty, patriotism?”

There was a very long silence – then the sound of a big diesel truck somewhere off to the south.

“Wow, wow, pop, I had no idea you were that bitter. Was it the fight for the farm, what was it, some of those radio or T.V. rabble rousers?”

“It was all of that. It was the fight and learning all I know now about how congress works, how the thing operates, how its members thrive and survive. You think I’m all alone in my bitterness? You think millions of Americans aren’t bitter now? The current congress is the most un-patriotic body we’ve probably ever had and they show it every damn day. You would expect me to be proud of you for joining that group, now? You just played lackey to those thieves for almost three years now and you know you can’t survive in their world unless you go along to get along until the practice diminishes you and your character and you all start talking and looking alike.”

“Is this all political bias? Would you be backing me all the way if Harkinson had an R behind his name? Is that it?”

Aaron took a sip of brandy. “Nope, they’re pretty much all a bunch of thieves. Son, you gotta know, in the very middle of this deep assed recession they voted themselves a pay raise. That was pretty much bi-partisanship at work.

Now that we got that outta the way let’s get right down too it. Just how much money were you thinking about throwing my way when you get up on the hill?”

“C’mon dad. Stop it.”

“No, I wanna know. How much for my help or approval or silence?”

“Silence? Silence about what?”

“Well, I figured the other side will try to derail you anyway they can. They would love to know about Ellen and the baby, about Brad Kutcher’s father calling me to tell you to stay away from Brad, stop groping him, about the cocaine deal you got into that I got quashed, that kinda stuff.”

“Are you saying you would try to stop me? You would help my opponent? You can’t mean that.”

“Congress is all about the quid pro quo. So all I’m asking is, what’s it worth to you? Those deals go on all day long up there and you know it.”

Another long silence followed by a muted cell phone ring tone coming from the open door to the cabin. Mark got up, went inside, walked to the other side of the kitchen and answered the call. Back in the semi darkness of the porch he said “It was Sky. I just told her everything was fine and we were just getting ready for bed.”

Aaron said “Well, for me the brandy and the trip are kickin’ in so….” Another ring tone took Mark back inside.

“Sorry, that was Harkinson. They’re pressing me for an answer.”

“Well, that’s politics for ya. I’m gonna hit the hay. I’ll be up before first light and I’ll make some coffee. When it’s ready I’ll get you up so we can be ready to troll the south shore just after sunup.”

“You won’t be satisfied until I play your silly game. Okay, I’ll play along. How does a million dollars sound?”

“Mark, that sounds like chump change. Harkinson probably steals more than that from his franking fund. Sad part is, now, if they subpoenaed me I’d have to tell em about the offer from my own son.

You got a mighty short memory. Your old buttcrack buddy Ed Frisk is still in prison for trying to sell your baby for $6,000 dollars to a couple in Sausalito and you were gonna split it with him. I still got a picture of you from the paper where the hospital camera caught you in mask and greens. How do you sleep with that, boy?”

“It was a crazy time for me back then. I was having problems. You know that. That’s all ancient history; I’m a different person now. All that craziness is behind me.” Mark said.

“Well, it’s your call. I’m almost 70 years old now, you’re only 34 so you might want to just hold off until I die. Then you’ll have little or nothing to hold you back, nothing much to jump out of the past to make you radioactive as they say, unelectable.”

Mark sipped the last of his brandy, stood up. “My own father. I have to wait til’ you die? That’s a helluva note pop. I’m not listening to any more of this. Our discussions about my future are done. No more. No more. I’ll see you in the morning.”

They did get an early start and it was a good thing because a stiff breeze came up out of the northeast and chased them back to shore about nine. The water in the lake was a little high for the season and it took a while to find the sweet spot along the shore when they started getting nice trout and a couple of keeper salmon. When the rain started coming down in sheets and they were back on the cabin porch they agreed it might be a good time to just enjoy the rain sounds, wait til’ it stopped and put the boat back in the shed, head on home.

Lydia decided to have a lunch for some Glens Falls lady neighbors and friends and the next Thursday morning she was busy as she wanted to be setting out things for the meal just like the cooks on the food channels. Aaron was at Ralph’s market getting the things she had forgotten. The phone rang and she almost just let it ring off the hook.

“Lydia? It’s Sky. I’m not supposed to tell you yet but I’m just bursting at the seams. We are going to be your new neighbors! Mark just called to tell me we’re moving to Glens Falls, he and Jeff Fines are starting a new law office. We are going to be your new neighbors! I’m so excited. The boys don’t know what the hell the whole thing means but I know they’ll be happy to get their dad back and to be able to go outdoors, play in the woods, go to the parks, do all the stuff in upstate. We can visit, have lunch, have dinners, go places together, do all the things we couldn’t do while we were in Virginia and here. I’m so excited to get out of D.C., out of the rat-race, out of the dress up mess.”

“Well, Sky, I couldn’t be happier. That is special news. I can’t wait to see you. When do you think you’ll get back over here?”

“I don’t know. We have to sell the house, then there’s school. Lydia, I’ve got to go. I have about a million people to Email and call.”

At 6:30 that evening the phone rang and it was Mark for Aaron.

“Sky called earlier and told Lydia all about it. As you can imagine, I’m surprised and very, very pleased. What made the difference, if you want to share?”

“You’re not going to believe it. I didn’t either. I thought they were joking. They said ‘Mark, I wouldn’t worry about your family doing anything to harm your chances, your campaign, your future in government. We have ways of making all those things go away, simply vanish, no longer a worry.’”
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Yes, he has a right to "express himself in his chosen way", but it is so inappropriate, so tiresome,

Only because you disagree with him, Tony. That, is the only reason.
DK has been DK since day one on this board, so why not just allow him to do what he does, and move on to the next issue.
The man and his opinions won't ruin your life....only make it more rich for your virtuous tolerance...........and your refusal to allow an uncomfortable opinion, even misplaced, is more of a political statement than David has ever conjured up.
This place is becoming too much like congress, and that shouldn't be happening.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Yes, he has a right to "express himself in his chosen way", but it is so inappropriate, so tiresome,

Only because you disagree with him, Tony. That, is the only reason.
DK has been DK since day one on this board, so why not just allow him to do what he does, and move on to the next issue.
The man and his opinions won't ruin your life....only make it more rich for your virtuous tolerance...........and your refusal to allow an uncomfortable opinion, even misplaced, is more of a political statement than David has ever conjured up.
This place is becoming too much like congress, and that shouldn't be happening.

Dennis, wow, come up with 11 more quotes like this and I think we have a calendar!!:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:12 AM

Dennis, Ateo and dtbushpilot get it... the others, well... what ever you're smoking or drinking is working for your version of reality. My comment was on confiscating everyday items (as so started by DavidE's post on pressure cooker confiscation). I asked how long before they take away your baseball bat, using the same logic. I had added that I heard baseball bats kill more Americans than guns, but Willardguy disproved that, so I EDITED-OUT that and even said so in a follow up.

How the rest of you got 'American Way' and other stuff out of my post above is amazing. I have been reading leftest drivel here for years, so where's your tolerance for another point-of-view? You have succeeded in chasing off or scaring most others that share my love of constitutional rights. How is that being tolerant (a liberal ideology)?

'Fair, Care, Share' is really lacking sometimes. I still wish you all success and fun, and never would deny you the right to express your opinions, let alone wish death to anybody here. How sad is that?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:18 AM

Careful there DK, don't get suckered back in.....or was that just another chicken for the sharks?:lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:18 AM

Don't people realize that American politics have an effect on life in Mexico and all around the world? Personally, I like any type of enthusiastic banter, and I don't feel it is a crime to mention on the main board anything that is relevant to world news, including the Boston Marathon bombing. And I am sure that David's remark was made tongue in cheek...but this thread is a pretty interesting one.

But back to the pressure cookers, Dennis, have you owned up to faithfully using one to cook, and I hope you surrendered it at the Tecate border crossing like an honest American.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
This is hilarious, DK makes a couple of typical DK remarks on the first page of this post and 2 pages later the "gang of five" is still taking shots at him. You guys have been had, DK threw a chicken in the water and the sharks are still fighting over it. Good for you for staying out of it DK, you're learning....:lol::lol::lol:

that is really funny answer, I like it :lol::lol::lol:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:30 AM

Can anyone cross today with a pressure cooker so we can put this thread to rest???? :tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble:

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:31 AM

Quite a ways back, I used to wait for Thursdays when I would receive my Western Outdoor News, not only for the fish reports, but especially the articles by Fred Hoctor. I always enjoyed his special way of telling stories. I get the same feeling when I see anything with Osprey's name on it. I know its going to be good reading. Subject matter doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for the story Osprey. :D

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:55 AM

I'll be crossing at Tecate on Saturday, maybe I'll bring my pressure cooker just to find out.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 09:00 AM

At the risk of being sent to secondary I asked yesterday at Tecate. The lady looked at me like I was crazy, Then smiled and said no and you are good to go.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 09:13 AM

Years back at a deer camp I was cooking saukraut, potatoes, and pork in a pressure cooker. While I was outside, a friend, not understanding how a pressure cooker works, opened the lid to see how the contents looked. The lid flew open spraying the contents into the ceiling. Luckily the blast was directed at an angle away from him. Kraut was imbedded into the ceiling. :O
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I'll be crossing at Tecate on Saturday, maybe I'll bring my pressure cooker just to find out.

I didn't even begin to believe this bar story in the first place. Just don't have the pot loaded with nails and all will be OK. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
At the risk of being sent to secondary I asked yesterday at Tecate. The lady looked at me like I was crazy, Then smiled and said no and you are good to go.

That's a good one, Ralph. I'll bet she felt like handing you a CBP Dunce Cap to wear on your journey. :lol:
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.