Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Orcas Attacking a Fin Whale In Bahia de La Paz
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

I used to live on my boat anchored out in Oak Bay next to Seaworld in Victoria BC but I had to move because I was so disturbed by Orcas who would hang around and cry for their loved ones incarcerated behind the net pens...really sad....

Why was this thread 'hijacked'? It appears to be due to the above statement. I read this as saying the she moved away from the vicinity of Seaworld (to avoid hearing the plaintive cries), not to leave the country entirely. She's not saying here that she left for mexico due to the 'brutality' of 'aquariums'.

Interestingly enough, there has been a great deal of recent anger over the hijacking of this thread. Yet nobody seemed to be concerned about the hijack until it took a turn they didn't like. Some of the very people that talked about the 'inhumanity' of zoos later complained about the thread being hijacked.

Regarding the morally superior ways that animals are treated by Mexicans: I witnessed a very similar episode at La Cuesta De La Ley a couple of years ago. A group of Mexicans in 2 trucks had driven a herd of wild asses into a box canyon and were roping them into the trucks. The 2 trucks did not have enough room in them for all of the animals and some were forced to lay down on the bed of the truck while others stood on to of them. Now I know what you're thinking - how could one hoofed animal stand on top of another without crushing it's innards. Well, they actually seemed to be aware of this and placed their weight on legs that were on the bed and used other legs to maintain balance. It just seemed so barbaric. But what made me think of this thread were the young donkeys that were still being weaned and had strong bonds with their mothers. The Mexicans never bothered to chase these ones down. They followed their mothers of their own free will to the trucks. They never wanted freedom. They just wanted to be with their mothers. The real problem was when they had to separate them from their mothers and load them in the different trucks. Both mother and youngster became very emotional. The youngster cried out and the mother became far more aggressive and tried to escape to get back to their foals(?). This didn't bother the Mexicans either because they knew the mothers would not leave their young and didn't have to be chased. Truly it was difficult to watch and I felt a fair amount of anger towards these people. I never learned what eventually happened to these asses.

However, I also realize that perhaps this is just the worldview of a city slicker. It's my understanding that this is a common scene on every ranch throughout the US and that mother and youngster eventually do adjust and accept their new reality.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 10:13 AM

Originally posted by shari

I used to live on my boat anchored out in Oak Bay next to Seaworld in Victoria BC but I had to move because I was so disturbed by Orcas who would hang around and cry for their loved ones incarcerated behind the net pens...really sad....

Skip,
Shari is referring to moving her boat out of the harbour....not to leaving Canada for Mexico is my understanding of her comment.

Folks all over the planet mistreat critters....so the hijack seemed to be over sour grapes and donkeys.....:biggrin:

Years ago I watched a father playing in the surf in Puerto Angel (Oaxaca) with his daughter aged about 4-6 years while mom sat on the beach watching. Dad had the family dog (German Shepherd mutt about 5 months old) in the water and was dunking the dog "playfully" until the dog drowned.....he looked a bit sheepish when he saw me watching....his daughter had a look on her face that I won't ever forget.

They all left the area with the dog laying at the water's edge :o

Don't believe everything you think....
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 12:31 PM

Hi Jack!

But on the other hand, an adopted Mexican mutt makes the most loyal pet you can ever imagine. They seem to never, ever forget how fortunate they are. Fell into knee high clover and smile about it.

Animals and humans both can be intentionally cruel. It is hard to bear. A local cat discovered just how big a sucker I am for hungry animals. A month later she is fat and sassy and she gives the local golden lab "kisses".

Maybe the best way is to lead and display examples of kindness so locals can see the results for themselves.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Hi Jack!

But on the other hand, an adopted Mexican mutt makes the most loyal pet you can ever imagine. They seem to never, ever forget how fortunate they are. Fell into knee high clover and smile about it.

Animals and humans both can be intentionally cruel. It is hard to bear. A local cat discovered just how big a sucker I am for hungry animals. A month later she is fat and sassy and she gives the local golden lab "kisses".

Maybe the best way is to lead and display examples of kindness so locals can see the results for themselves.

Exactly------lead by example---------always the most non-judgemental way to teach, I think. I applaud you, DavidE.

:light:
Barry
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 01:03 PM

Lead by example....so that's why my landscape crew wants to go home two hours early---they've been watching me! :lol::lol::lol:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Lead by example....so that's why my landscape crew wants to go home two hours early---they've been watching me! :lol::lol::lol:
Its "do as I say, not as I do"!:lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 01:27 PM

Personally, I wish that John (DianaT) would go back and delete his sorta 'off-topic' personal posts about Shari-----------in my opinion they are in very poor taste and mean-sprited, and having them just sit there on this thread is offensive and hurtful to Shari and Juan, and potentially harmful to their business's in Bahia Asuncion.

All these barbs and opinions aimed at Shari by John really bothers me------and seems so useless, and so potentially damaging--------WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE POINT OF THEM????

The more I think about this, the more upsetting it gets to me.

Please, John, just remove them and let the damaging comments disappear and die !?!?!?!?! :light:

Barry
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 01:35 PM

I agree with Barry. Off-topic and mean-spirited.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 01:44 PM

speaking of Orcas, go see "Blackfish" http://youtu.be/_C7Le65dCuU
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 01:49 PM

Keep posting something -else- and it will disappear on its own. Please don't keep breathing life into it.

Positive thoughts are contagious and bring good vibes. Turn your thoughts to how you can help your favorite Mexican family or person.Do they need clothes, dishware, or school uniforms for the kids?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Keep posting something -else- and it will disappear on its own. Please don't keep breathing life into it.

Positive thoughts are contagious and bring good vibes. Turn your thoughts to how you can help your favorite Mexican family or person.Do they need clothes, dishware, or school uniforms for the kids?

I agree, David, but unfortunately it will not "disappear" until it is physically removed-------the thread and the individual posts will live forever in "thread-land" for all to see, and continue causing damage, I think.. Preferrably, John will remove them, but if he does not I hope that Doug will.

Shari & Juan do NOT deserve this !

Barry
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:17 PM

I agree! I U2U to have it removed. Because I don't think it is conducive to a community vibe at all. It really felt icky. I know I'm new here, and am not a part of any history here, and I barely even know these people but Diane's always been nice to me and I had envisioned her coming over to her old house and us talking over coffee...and Shari I barely even know her either..it wouldn't matter to me if it happened to Shari or anyone else here..I will stand up for something that is sooo utterly wrong because that is who I am. And I don't know and don't care to know what this is all about, but seriously for someone to go out of their way to hunt down on the net someone's past, present that in front of god and everyone, close friends, etc is not cool at all. We all make mistakes in our past when we are young, so what! And some of us aren't proud of things we have done! Hey everyone disagrees with people at times, and people don't share the same beliefs but that's what keeps it all interesting, diversity!! and I try and honor people's opinions and rights to free speech but this was way beyond differing opinions that are presented here on the boards, it was hurtful, harmful, malicious, and slanderous. And no good can come out of any energy like that for anyone. I felt it all the way up here..and it felt icky. Hey maybe try conflict resolution, wow what a novel concept! I seriously, came to the conclusion I can't be a part of any community that allows that kind of energy. I thought it was "peace, love, and fish tacos"! The Adminstrator of this board needs to delete this thread and I think it would be nice if monoloco or whoever it was that posted the original post about the whales, reposts that orca post because it was a good thread and deserved further conversation! sheesh people get a grip!

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:40 PM
NONE OF IT IS WORTH ENCOURAGING THIS!

This subject needs permanent weed killer to eradicate IMHO

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:42 PM

It needs to be removed.

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:47 PM

Or just change the original subject line to

Orcas, Dianna T and John, Attacking a Fin Whale, Shari, in Bahia Asuncion

Shari is a great person , running a good biz and a asset to her community.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:59 PM

I would not be offended ....and would be pleased to see my comments disappear with this thread....aside from the initial orca/fin whale link post.

And feel good about my posts remaining "to create balance" if the thread remains.

I have deleted some of my posts which have been snarky and rude, so am somewhat self-regulating :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 05:08 PM

Orcas prefer and actually attack to gain access to the whale's tongue. Female orcas attack sperm whales for their ambergris which they rub behind their ears*. Whale oil lit most homes in the 18th century, and ambergris was used until Whaling was banned as a very expensive and vital ingredient in the most hoity-toity French perfumes. Whale oil was used in automobile automatic transmission fluids well into the 1970's and was considered to be an "irreplaceable" anti-wear additive.

*Not the sperm whale's ears, dummy!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE POINT OF THEM????

Barry

The point is that the author felt there was an element of hypocrisy in the statement that the area was left due to the plaintive cries of captured orcas when the business was aborted due to a lawsuit. It's clear that this hit a nerve to the reader and resulted in the post.

Hope this makes it clearer Barry.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 08:13 PM
Canuckian geography lesson...

Oak Bay, Victoria, (sea world) and Tofino (location of the said business) are located 1/2 days drive away from each other on opposite sides of Vancouver Island, BC, Canada and a world away from Baja.

:biggrin::

[Edited on 8-1-2013 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE POINT OF THEM????

Barry

The point is that the author felt there was an element of hypocrisy in the statement that the area was left due to the plaintive cries of captured orcas when the business was aborted due to a lawsuit. It's clear that this hit a nerve to the reader and resulted in the post.

Hope this makes it clearer Barry.

No, it does not, but thanks for trying SKipJack. Shari knows what really happened, and frankly it is none of our business. For John to challenge her on this thread or on this board in the way that he did is childish and dangerous, IMO, especially considering the possible injury to Juan and Shari's business. Unless that is John's purpose, none of John's injurious declarations and revelations make any sense to me, and in fact seem very mean-sprited and irrevelant.

As I have said many times-----"we all are hypocrits", sometimes on purpose and other times by mistake or forgetfulness.

Further, I do not see how you can come to the conclusion that "-----the business was aborted due to a lawsuit". That's pure speculation, and not based on the Court Document as I read it, nor Shari's explanation---------i.e. another mean-sprited declaration with the intent to injure.

What's wrong with you guys??

Barry
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.