Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
. Who would you call at Costco?

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by MMc]
Qualitas was the underwriter when I had the insurance from Costco. I hit a cow between Pescadero and CSL, when I got back to Pescadero, I called the number on the policy and an adjuster came out to my home within an hour. It couldn't have been any easier.
what was the outcome? does the insurance company pay for the cow?
Actually, the owner of the cow is supposed to be liable. The adjuster sent me to the body shop of the Ford dealer in La Paz and they repaired it with a new OEM bumper. The total cost of the repair was 14,000 pesos. Of course I was out of pocket the $500 deductible.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 04:14 PM

DavidE.....Just curious....based upon my 10+ years of work experience in Mexican insurance, I have never heard of Surplus Lines Brokers being responsible for providing attorneys for their clients and paying for their legal fees. In my experience that is the duty of the Mexican insurance company that you have contracted the policy with - provided that you bought a policy with legal assistance included. If you have an accident, you need to call the number on your policy to reach the claims center of the company you are insured with to get the process started. These claims centers are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your Surplus Lines Broker's office is not open 24/7/365....so if you call them at 10PM on a Saturday looking for legal help after an accident in Mexico you are barking up the wrong tree.

Here is how it works with the companies we represent:

In the event of an accident you call the claims center open of the Mexican insurance company you are insured with and they will send out an adjuster from their network, which extends throughout the entire country of Mexico. Once the adjuster is on the scene they will make the determination of whether or not a lawyer is needed. It is completely dependent on the severity of the accident. If deemed necessary, they will call their "go-to" law firm to have a lawyer come represent you. The amount of legal expenses that is covered varies from company to company, so check to see how much coverage you currently buy. The companies we work with provide the following:

ACE Seguros and Mapfre Tepeyac cover up to $30,000 US
HDI Seguros matches up to the amount of liability on the policy...so if you have $150,000 in liability, they would cover up to $150,000 US in legal fees.

I dealt with this in person when a friend of mine struck a man trying to run across the toll road north of Ensenada a few years ago. An ambulance and Federales were on the scene quickly and took the injured man away (he was very lucky and was not severely injured). We followed the Federales back to Ensenada and called HDI Seguros, who my friend was insured through....with legal assistance coverage included. They sent an adjuster out right away, who then called for a lawyer as soon as he learned of the situation. After a few hours of getting the paperwork sorted out at the police station, my friend was taken to the Ministerio Publico with the lawyer to determine if he was at fault. Since it was not his fault he was free to go. All things told, it took about six hours from the time the accident occurred to the time we were back on the road. All legal expenses were covered by HDI per his insurance policy.

Now if you have an accident and call our office, we will be more than happy to help in any way we can to keep the claims process moving forward and connect you with the appropriate parties. We do that all the time and work very closely with the heads of the Mexican insurance companies that we represent. Nomads bajaguy and TecateRay can attest to that, as they are Baja Bound clients and I worked with both of them very closely after they had accidents and their claims were being processed.

The bottom line...regardless of who you get insurance from, definitely get a policy with legal assistance included. And yes...all policies Baja Bound writes automatically come with legal aid and bail bond included.

Safe travels and ¡Viva Baja!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 05:28 PM

Wow, Geoff, Thank you! When I have helped out friends that have had incidents the families usually have no idea as to whom they can call and are left feeling helpless. It is a comfort to have tangible person that they can call. It doesn't change what has to happen, it just bring some calm before the storm.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 02:44 PM

The FUNDING for the bail, administrative fines, and other costs was instituted by the Surplus Line Brokers. The Mexican insurance companies thought the idea was nuts. Yes the company provides the abogado. But I have seen abogados go on vacation, the backup attorney got kicked out of his house by his old lady and the process of securing an attorney would lose steam unless the broker kept hammering away at the Mexican insurance company.

I hope after seeing Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey for five decades that things are changing. But I can tell you for a fact, I waited SEVEN HOURS in downtown Lazaro Card##as, Michoacan for an adjuster to show up because the surplus line broker would not spend the money for more than ONE SINGLE international phone call. My calls to Mexico City were shunted to the janitor I guess. Needless to say, when I had a chance I freakin' melted the phone wires to the broker. They are now out of business I guess. They never were a major. I spent TWO DAYS near Valle de Bravo waiting for an adjuster to show up or a pair of ladies who got rear-ended really bad by a Bimbo truck. This is a THREE HOUR one hand on the steering wheel drive from Mexico City. The jerk policias municipales were trying to extort money from the women. I captured their voices, ID and everything on my shirt pocket digital voice recorder. When the PFP finally arrived, I let them listen to the recording and the PFP had a short ugly conversation with the municipios. The accident happened on a tramo federal de SCT and the feds were not amused. The locals hauled asssss let me tell ya.

An accident victim sees the adjuster and the abogado if necessary. He does not see the company president or the advertising department. If the field boys fall on their face, having a surplus line broker following through can make the difference between a really bad day and a hell of a less bad day. I do hope things are changing. Some states are requiring liability and I can only hope this means a sea change in customer service.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff

ACE Seguros and Mapfre Tepeyac cover up to $30,000 US
HDI Seguros matches up to the amount of liability on the policy...so if you have $150,000 in liability, they would cover up to $150,000 US in legal

I just noticed this difference in Legal Fee coverage on the 2
major Co's, HDI, which my reading seems to be responsive
to situations, and ACE, which I know nothing about.
As posted, HDI runs their Legal Coverage up to the limit of
libility on one's ploicy, to $500,000, while ACE covers a set amount of $30,000, although I can't imagine legal fees ever reaching $30,000, few things in Mex ever seem clear, simple
to understand, constant or logical
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.