BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Baja Discussion: Your story of this Part of Baja...
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2015 at 06:18 PM

Thanks to all. Not quite as good as being there with you, but almost!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
David, you probably know the dates on this and I don't. In the summer of 1969 I flew from Las Vegas to southern Baja in a Beech Bonanza. The pilot, a contractor from Vegas said he walked into mission Santa Maria from the east 14 months before Earl Stanley Gardner went there. He was proud of that and sent Gardner a Polaroid picture of the mission site with the date on it.

The fishing at Guaymas was not that good so we went across to the peninsula, he found the mission from the air and buzzed it a couple of times before we went on to finally arrive at what is now Los Barriles. One of the Verdugo family members in Los Barriles remembered guiding him and his friends to the mission when he was just a boy.

[Edited on 6-13-2015 by Osprey]

Hi Osprey,
I am not familiar with that story... Do you have more details?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 09:36 PM

No, all I can find is the "Hover" book by Gardner was published in 1961 and I think he went to Santa Maria in 1960. The contractor's name was James Patterson who flew all over Baja in several planes -- we went in a Beech but he was a real Piper freak for rough, short strips. In Los Barriles we stayed in the one lone building then on the beach by the strip. It is preserved now inside Palmas de Cortez, used to be the old restaurant/theater.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
No, all I can find is the "Hover" book by Gardner was published in 1961 and I think he went to Santa Maria in 1960. The contractor's name was James Patterson who flew all over Baja in several planes -- we went in a Beech but he was a real Piper freak for rough, short strips. In Los Barriles we stayed in the one lone building then on the beach by the strip. It is preserved now inside Palmas de Cortez, used to be the old restaurant/theater.

Right, that's the only book I can think of (of Erle's) that has a Mission Santa Maria photo in it...? J.W. Black drove one of his Grasshopper's to the mission (about 1964-65 I think) just as Fred Hampe completed the road from Rancho Santa Ynez to it. I have a photo of that in my box from Choral Pepper.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 02:41 PM

I would like to contribute to this thread, but all my photos are about the same as DK's.

My first trip in that direction was in 1977 and it was in a CJ-5. My second trip was in FJ Cruiser and 30 years later. Not much had changed except that the trail seems to have gotten rockier, from what I recall from 30 years earlier.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 05:47 PM

Well my story ends with surgery. I'll get into it later.

[Edited on 6-16-2015 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I would like to contribute to this thread, but all my photos are about the same as DK's.

My first trip in that direction was in 1977 and it was in a CJ-5. My second trip was in FJ Cruiser and 30 years later. Not much had changed except that the trail seems to have gotten rockier, from what I recall from 30 years earlier.

I would like to see them, none-the-less, Udo! It is a fascinating and beautiful part of Baja that most here do not get to see in person because of the kind of 'road' that must be traveled.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 04:41 PM

Anyone wants to share tips about precious yellow metal with me I would be glad to investigate and report back ;)

[Edited on 6-21-2015 by bajaric]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
DK, If you would like to privately share some of gilaoro's info with me I would be glad to investigate and report back. ;)

What I know is nothing private, posted on forums years ago, just that he also went as 'Max in Yuma', and sold their vacation home project at Playa Cristina to a couple I know. He was very nice and wanted to take me prospecting. I miss him being here, friendship is more precious than gold.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 09:56 AM

One of the great Nomad threads.

Does anyone else have a story about this part of Baja?

Pete

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nice Ged!

On the map:

El Muerto (Dead Man Island):

'Ruins' (El Almac�n)...

Okie Landing...

El Huerfanito (Little Orphan Island)...

I camped with the view of Isla el Muerto, and noticed two large striped poles on the south end of the island. Anyone have any idea what these are?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

And always thought, "I like the location, but wouldn't want to dig an outhouse hole here":

Ged, I was there less than three weeks ago! It is hard to tell if the building was ever finished before being abandoned.....another mystery project?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 12:58 PM

It looked that way in 2001, too.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 01:04 PM

I had often seen military holed up there......and its a looong way down!:o
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
I had often seen military holed up there......and its a looong way down!:o

Definitely no place for kids, pets, or drunks!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 09:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Great area for exploration. El Marmol is fun to explore with the two cemeteries, discarded cars, airport (well, kinda), and up to El Volc�n with the not-so-tasty spring. Can't beat the hike up to Mission Santa Maria de Los Angeles with the thick vegetation, gold mining areas, year-round streams, incredible views, and the mission site(s) themselves. One of the best areas in Baja. Thanks David.

Jack, I only know the cemetery south of the road - where is the other one?

Harald Pietschmann
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 05:33 AM

Here is a little share, the larger arroyos in that area all normally bone dry where Hwy5 crosses over them, but some have water in the higher elevations. After the remnants of hurricane Rosa dumped six inches of rain in the area, flash floods flowed all the way to the sea, and for a couple of weeks afterwards there were little running streams that extended to within a mile of the highway before they sank into the sands. I hiked up in there and was surprised to see thousands of pollywogs swimming in the green algae laden water. A month later it was all dry again, with only a white stain left in the bottom of the arroyos. It was like there were a bunch of frogs just waiting to lay their eggs when the time was right, but the weird thing is that this was 3 miles below where the water is normally present.
edit: Hwy 5!

pollywogs 1.jpg - 134kB pollywogs 2.jpg - 143kB

btw Pete, at night you may notice the striped poles have blinking lights on top of them --

[Edited on 12-8-2020 by bajaric]
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 09:40 AM

Details, details. yes Hwy 5, edited.
that is Miramar
Since you took that pic of El Almecen, someone built a rock structure next to it, and a few years ago there were some trailers parked there. They must have been squatters, because the trailers were all removed, and the road to get in there from the south (Old Hwy 5) was fenced off.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 10:37 AM

Interesting!

A question, are the little caves still up in Arroyo Miramar that miners/ prospectors lived in? I was looking at Howard Gulick's photos from the 50's and early 60s, and saw them there.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 10:48 AM

It's sad to read posts from those who are no longer with us.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.