Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14
Author: Subject: Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:15 AM

Riding a bicycle on a major Hwy that doesn't have a bike lane or shoulders isn't a wise choice.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:39 AM
bikes on road

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Seems like a lot of people want to argue in favor of bikes having equal access to all portions of Hwy 1 from a theoretical perspective, and some argue against the same from a practical one.

I don't see anyone being selfish, or that calling on motorized vehicles to slow down and share the road is applicable in this discussion.

I'm sure that even the most avid bicycling enthusiast, when in their car or truck, drives the highway at the average speed of other traffic. It really doesn't matter how fast you're driving if, upon rounding an uphill corner you are confronted by a semi that is 1/3 of the way into your lane on your left, and a couple of bicycles towing trailers on your right. If you can't stop, and have no other choices, you are going to hit SOMETHING! Who will it be?......right on the money...great way to write the simple fact of driving and life !!! I started on this subject saying the same FACT and was harassed for being honest of what is 99 percent of what a smart,quik witted driver will do in that 1/10 of a second !!!!!!! bike+300lbs..VS car=4000lbs....not much to discuss....get the OFF of the road FOOL !!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 12:04 PM

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?...

California 3 foot law effective September 16th 2014. I think its a great law if it does nothing more then raise awareness.

I ride a bike quite a bit in San Diego. The behavior of many motorists is appalling. The behavior of many on bicycles is too.

I have no desire to ride Hwy. 1 in Baja. Those that choose to hopefully use caution. We have seen many over the years and more so in the last 4-5 it seems, yet still more danger from errant cows and distracted drivers IMHO. Did I mention idiot desert race chasers channeling Parnelli Jones with dementia? :saint::lol:

YMMV. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 01:38 PM

Many do not wear vests. I swear to Christ they must spend hours in a clothing store selecting asphalt tinted pants and shirt. Their bicycles and panniers are black as are their helmets.

I cannot freakin' SEE THEM. Those cyclists who are smart who wear fluorescent vests, fly a fluorescent burgee and even have the presence of mind to fit a really bright red LED flickering tail light can be seen and from a good distance. But it's the camouflaged fools who are going to be smacked. And then they parallel-up.

Sure as hell, I am going to smack one and end up in handcuffs. I have not seen one gosh darnned cyclist magazine suggest improvement in being seen, mirrors or whatever.

What does this sport/activity attract, people with double-digit IQ?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:47 PM
David E

damn,,your such a giver..How about single digit !!! LOL
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:52 PM

Ditto what DavidE Said ....:bounce::bounce: Bright colors ! Let me know you are a slow moving object on the highway . Hello , Hello

Guess you can tell i don't let bikes on the hwy .

:mad: They seem to think cars are in their way .

My wife says i could go on all day about bikes making the road more dangerous . And she's right . :P
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 04:32 PM

"... the new law, which was signed into law a few months ago by Gov. Brown—three feet clearance required to pass," shall become operative on September 16, 2014.

Again, your interpretation of this new law, to wit "which makes nearly ANY non-freeway standard-width lane not suitable for simultaneous occupation by a car and a bicycle" is just not accurate. Three feet means three feet, regardless of what "non-freeway standard width" and "simultaneous occupation" language you hope to inject.
The new law specifies that autos and bikes would be proceeding on a "highway".

Three Feet for Safety Act
21760. (c) A driver of a motor vehicle shall not overtake or pass a bicycle proceeding in the same direction on a highway at a distance of less than three feet between any part of the motor vehicle and any part of the bicycle or its operator.
(d) If the driver of a motor vehicle is unable to comply with subdivision (c), due to traffic or roadway conditions, the driver shall slow to a speed that is reasonable and prudent, and may pass only when doing so would not endanger the safety of the operator of the bicycle, taking into account the size and speed of the motor vehicle and bicycle, traffic conditions, weather, visibility, and surface and width of the highway.
(f) This section shall become operative on September 16, 2014
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 05:05 PM

So the gov just made bike riders free of any mature responsibility using the road by putting all of the responsibility on car drivers. Bike riders will be even more bold:

"...the driver shall slow to a speed that is reasonable and prudent, and may pass only when doing so would not endanger the safety of the operator of the bicycle..."

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 05:50 PM

david
are you too old to drive safely?

369,629 people died on America's roads between 2001 and 2009.
here is the map of death.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2011/no...

David learn to save life, end your road rage

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 08:14 PM

My Wife and I just drove down and back for the first time (Nov.25-Dec4) .

We could NOT believe anyone would be on Bicycles , dragging Kids along !! There are sections of Mex 1 (South of El Rosario , South of Loreto , North of Santa Rosalia) that I wouldn't even consider walking , much less on a Bike ! Total insanity ....

D.~:?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
david
are you too old to drive safely?

369,629 people died on America's roads between 2001 and 2009.
here is the map of death.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2011/no...

David learn to save life, end your road rage

The anti bike crowd outwardly displays rage. However their uncontrollable feeling is actually jealousy and/or rat-race-emasculation. Sometimes when you are angry at the world, you find it easy to take your anger out on the smallest or weakest. People's behavior and emotion while driving is a real good indication of their character.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 08:37 PM

The only displays of car/bike road rage I've witnessed in the last year has been bicyclists raging at car drivers.

Other than that detail, your post is right on!

Have you considered talking to someone about your issues?:P
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 08:43 PM

As I've said earlier, these pro-bicycle arguments have their place when we're talking about roads in the US with shoulders and wider lane widths.

They simply don't apply to large portions of Hwy 1!

It isn't about sharing the road or who is angry or not, it's about living and not making an innocent driver a killer.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
As I've said earlier, these pro-bicycle arguments have their place when we're talking about roads in the US with shoulders and wider lane widths.

It isn't about sharing the road or who is angry or not, it's about living and not making an innocent driver a killer.

Well said, Islandbuilder...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 10:13 PM
ISLANDBUILDER great post !!

Thanks for quik straight up,right on,as it is post....driven from panama to Alaska and refuse to deal with foolish armchair GOATS that do not have real world since of driving the Baja freeway with WIDE shoulders and pull offs at 100 apart !! GET A GRIP BIKERS... I ask Here,,, Now...Will anyone on this Blog,,,anyone,, let their child ride a bike from GN to san Ignacio???????????????????damn quiet around here now !!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:09 PM

Quote:

Right on...

For the record, I am so happy that Mexico is adding that bike lane (wide shoulder) to Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin. Why? Because I want to have blood free vacation without denying any bike rider the same right to enjoy Baja as I have. 1973's Hwy. 1 is NOT designed for, or safe for human powered bikes. The newer parts are, and that is great. I don't hate anyone who wants to go to Baja no matter what mode they use.

Graham preferred to not use the highway when walking his burro Misión (~1997), but in a couple places there were no available alternatives. Graham wrote that he listened intently for the sound of any vehicle before using the highway, where there was no other route.

That is responsible and respectful and likewise if a car has no opposing traffic, it should veer far away from any bikes it passes where one can see far enough ahead that there won't be a head-on from doing so.

Nobody here wants to see anybody hurt, it's that simple. Common sense is just sorely lacking and so many seem to think the government must tell us what we can do or how we must do it. We don't need more laws, we need more brains!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I sure would like to know what kind of cell phone people are talking on south of El Rosario??? :rolleyes:

they work in GN. these guys were going to the lagoon to watch whales, i think.....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 01:40 AM

Quote:

On narrow roads, you drivers simply need to slow down an pass bikes only when safe to do so. You won't kill anyone if you slow down and put down the phone!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:10 AM

Cyclist need to be road aware. Certain parts of Mex1 are suited for two trucks and bike aligned side-by-side. If they would just add the same type of safety gear, lights and reflectors as motor vehicles the bikes would be a lot less dangerous.

Cyclists need to be held more responsible for their actions, I'm especially troubled by the pairs that feel the need to ride next to each other expecting me to move into the other lane. I do however drive at speeds that let me avoid most unexpected road hazards.

When I'm towing my boat on Mex1, my trailer tires need every inch of the road. If it comes down to me, my boat, the oncoming 18 wheeler or a cyclist.... you can bet on the loser in that scenario.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Cyclist need to be road aware. Certain parts of Mex1 are suited for two trucks and bike aligned side-by-side.
When I'm towing my boat on Mex1, my trailer tires need every inch of the road. If it comes down to me, my boat, the oncoming 18 wheeler or a cyclist.... you can bet on the loser in that scenario.

Why not wait to pass bicyclist when no oncoming vehicle is in other lane? Do you try to pass slower autos when oncoming vehicle occupies other lane? You bike haters need to use common sense: pass slow moving vehicles (e.g. bikes) only when safe to do so!
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.