Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: The FamGurp Fire Fund
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 12:31 PM

TO NORTE:

speading the fun is all. there is enough for everyone norte (((: The school I teach at needs pencils pens notebooks rulers erasers

the stuff I am more than happy to donate to the family are plates and rice makers, cups and glasses - not new and certainly not needed by the school

I wish I could explain better. If we all did a little to make others' lives better, this would truly be a spectacular world.

and interesting take that anyone would call it internet begging - I see it as posing a need and I have openly asked for help all my life -someone to babysit the kids, someone to cook when I was ill, someone to drive the kids to school when I had a meeting......guilty guilty guilty. And in return I have taken many a friend to the hospital in the middle of the night or what ever.

at any rate, I did put together a nice little care package and it is waiting for the bajafam to visit (((:

[Edited on 3-19-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MrAdamas

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam
Many thanks Blanca!! We will definitely be coming to visit this summer.

How can you afford the gas money to get down there?
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 01:11 PM

No ...you are not. Less than a few...actually reads their dog poop lies and slander. Stop going there!

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam
Looks like we are the butt of the joke in crazy town.

http://******.info/forum/thread-10439.html?highlight=Asuncion

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 01:16 PM

I am sure you mean well but I'll stand by my statement. Maybe those things should go to deserving students.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67183#pid8326...

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
TO NORTE:

speading the fun is all. there is enough for everyone norte (((: The school I teach at needs pencils pens notebooks rulers erasers

the stuff I am more than happy to donate to the family are plates and rice makers, cups and glasses - not new and certainly not needed by the school

I wish I could explain better. If we all did a little to make others' lives better, this would truly be a spectacular world.

and interesting take that anyone would call it internet begging - I see it as posing a need and I have openly asked for help all my life -someone to babysit the kids, someone to cook when I was ill, someone to drive the kids to school when I had a meeting......guilty guilty guilty. And in return I have taken many a friend to the hospital in the middle of the night or what ever.

at any rate, I did put together a nice little care package and it is waiting for the bajafam to visit (((:

[Edited on 3-19-2014 by BajaBlanca]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 01:52 PM

Internet begging I divide into a few categories. JMHO, -- I have no problem with the first three. The fourth one, well...........

1. Those who really are asking for some heartfelt help when in need. The help thy neighbor types. And yes, there is ALWAYS someone worse off.

2. Those asking for help for people and causes in their community; worthy causes or activities.

3. Those who request that someone help them out by delivering something from the states and immediately, if not before, pay for the item or items requested.

4. Those who request many things from everyone coming their way and know that they will probably not have to pay for their personal items. They take advantage of the good and generous nature of other people. They like to brag about how they scored.

Not sure the label of begging should be applied to the first three. I see those as requests for help. :biggrin:

[Edited on 3-19-2014 by DianaT]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Internet begging I divide into a few categories. JMHO, -- I have no problem with the first three. The fourth one, well...........

1. Those who really are asking for some heartfelt help when in need. The help thy neighbor types. And yes, there is ALWAYS someone worse off.

2. Those asking for help for people and causes in their community; worthy causes or activities.

3. Those who request that someone help them out by delivering something from the states and immediately, if not before, pay for the item or items requested.

4. Those who request many things from everyone coming their way and know that they will probably not have to pay for their personal items. They take advantage of the good and generous nature of other people. They like to brag about how they scored.

Not sure the label of begging should be applied to the first three. I see those as requests for help. :biggrin:

[Edited on 3-19-2014 by DianaT]

I tend to agree with your assessment.

I do find it objectionable when one claims to be needy yet has money for beer, sodas, smokes or whatever the case. But that holds true for either side of the border. One other objection is when one must show boat their donations. People should give for the sake of giving.

But those are only my opinions which don't really matter in the big picture I suppose.:biggrin:

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 05:12 PM

Yeah dude, they matter....People need to know the difference between "needs" and "wants" It doesn't look like these folks "need" to replace their vacation home, they just "want " to...big difference......I want a new Porsche, I don't need it, but I still want it....anybody want to pony up??

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Terry28]

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 06:44 PM

very well put Diana, me gusta.

anyways, below is a pic of what I set aside for the family - just odds and ends that somehow ended up in my lap and I am happy to pass along. I guess my take is:

I believe vacations are important and healthy for families. I was a single mom with 2 kids and we only took one vacation together, the 3 of us, when a kind soul who was not even a close friend lent us his trailer in Rosarito. Boy did we have fun and I remember enjoying every second of it with my boys.

So, in order to help this family have their dream back, I can give a little.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

But those are only my opinions which don't really matter in the big picture I suppose.:biggrin:

Opinions simply stand alone. :biggrin:
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:31 AM

Let me clarify something first and foremost. This was not a vacation home. Our home in Baja is just that, our home. We purchased the land for our son, who is a Mexican national, so that he could have a head start on his future. We fully intend to live in Baja full time in the very near future. At the present, we live there part time, spending at least 5 months out of the year there. Secondly, I don't see a need to present every donation that I have made over the past 4 years, suffice it to say, we have given much to the communities up and down the peninsula, as well as within the borders of the US and even Canada. I am a huge believer of giving more than I take, and it was very difficult for me to set up the funding page in the first place. I had many friends online suggesting a central location where they could help, I was merely swallowing my pride and giving in to their desire to help. If you don't want to help, that is your choice. Those that want to help, and have, thank you so very much. If asking for help in a situation that was completely unexpected is wrong, I implore you to think about who this really affects, and that is my children. They have been deeply affected by this, and we are working very hard to figure out a way to regain what was really lost in this fire - our sense of hope and their sense of innocence.

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:39 AM

You don't need to explain a thing... Your home was destroyed by a vandal in a town where we all get a sense (from posts here or staying there) is friendly to foreigners as well as locals. Bad stuff happens. Nomads are supposed to be people helping people in whatever way they can or desire. If a Nomad doesn't want to help, then he need not spoil the actions of others. Sour grapes.

I wish your whole family a speedy recovery to the life you intended to have at Bahia Asuncion!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrAdamas[\i]
How can you afford the gas money to get down there?

The same way you do. By working. Unfortunately, all of the gas money will now be channeled into a fund to purchase or build my son's second Baja home. That means that we won't be able to come down for a while, but that's the deal, I suppose.

Like the thread on Fulano, you assume much. I never once said we were completely homeless (though we are in Baja) or destitute. But we invested a lot of time, money, heart and soul into our little piece of a dream, and that was unfairly destroyed. It's not as if we are rolling in dinero. We live simply, on one income, and everything that we have we worked for. If you noticed, on the funding page, I asked for everyone to shop my businesses FIRST. I also asked for used, unwanted items if folks wished to give that way. I consider many on this board to be friends, and would reciprocate in the same manner if the roles were reversed.

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 07:10 PM

Exactly.

Come visit La Bocana

DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:03 PM

"Charity" - the practice of benevolent giving and caring. Just my take on it.:cool:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 10:14 AM

Michelle, you don't need to explain; not at all IMHO.

I think of you as fitting into the number one category.

Plain and simple. :yes:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 07:02 AM

taking all the goodies to Asuncion today!

Come visit La Bocana

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 08:03 AM

Bajaboy posted:

" I do find it objectionable when one claims to be needy yet has money for beer, sodas, smokes or whatever the case. But that holds true for either side of the border. "

..and I'll add, especially cell phones!
I can't even afford one and yet I see people with their hand out asking for money while they are talking on their phone :fire:

Bob Durrell
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 08:46 AM

Thats OK. kids are growing up learning the finer points of living off of others.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Bajaboy posted:

" I do find it objectionable when one claims to be needy yet has money for beer, sodas, smokes or whatever the case. But that holds true for either side of the border. "

I can't even afford one and yet I see people with their hand out asking for money while they are talking on their phone :fire:

Why shouldn't a poor person buy a phone? Should the poor be prohibited from communication? I consider a phone a basic necessity.

You can help the poor or not. You should not expect to micromanage every decision for the poor.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Bajaboy posted:

Why shouldn't a poor person buy a phone? Should the poor be prohibited from communication? I consider a phone a basic necessity.

You can help the poor or not. You should not expect to micromanage every decision for the poor.

And just what makes you think these people are poor?
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.