BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Residente card and automobiles
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 02:25 PM
Funny How

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
DavidE,

Funny how you are certain about the inevitable certainty of your predictions...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 02:29 PM
Funny How I Chat With A DELAGADO FEDERAL Regularly

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
DavidE,

Funny how you are certain about the inevitable certainty of your predictions...

Who travels between xxxxxxx and Mexico regularly. The proof is in the pudding. When this "Plays Out" we'll all know, won't we. The horselaughers about the need for a passport refused to respond when that law was enacted. FUNNY how life is. Keep in mind my "prediction" actually encourages the use of common sense. Maybe I should change it to UNcommon sense in some cases.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacsur
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by pacsur
I have imported all my vehicles over the years, it makes life easier with Mexican plates for me.
Last year I imported a 2001 Toyota 4wd crew cab, it was under $1200 usd and completed in 1 day in Tijuana, for another $500p ...My liability insurance is about $2100p and covers the USA also.

so who did you use last year that takes ONLY one day
and who is your insurance with that covers mexico AND the USA

Importer-Tijuana-(664) 623-8044 Sr Osuna

Tijuana insurance
ABA Seguros
Blvd. Agua Caliente 1854 Col. Aviación
Tijuana, B. C, 22410
Baja California / México
Tel. (664) 6863387 (664) 6863926
www.abaseguros.com

I'm now using insurance in Los Cabos with ABA
Off. Ph. (624) 143-1212, Ext.0
Fax: (624) 130-4083
US Toll free:1 (866) 376 22 89
front.desk@caboinsurance.com
www.caboinsurance.com

The last couple of cars I have bought in CA I never registered in the US, just take the pink and give them your id info how you want it titled.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by pacsur]

Excellent information, pacsur, Sir!

Thank you!!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

4-as most already know, you have to initiate the application for a RP or an RT OUTSIDE Mexico, unless you are on the progression track by virtue of already having had an FM3. But if you miss your renewal deadline along the way, YOU START OVER AT THE BEGINNING.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by Hook]

That may not be completely accurate in regards to going RP in MX and using the progression track from FM3/FM2/RP. Perhaps on what location one is using and whom your dealing with may be different.

Personal experience......my FM2 expired last August 2013.
The local Migra official told me 3 times......a person has 6 months from the expiration date of the FM2 to begin the RP process.

Sure enough that was the case for me. FM2 expired in August....RP was started in October and RP in hand about 5 weeks later without a hitch or hiccup.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 03:47 PM

X2 Kudos pacsur

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Both my previous ABA policy, and my current Qualitas policy (on my Mexican plated car) cover Mexico, USA (excl. Alaska) and Canada for both coverage and liability. For Canada, you need to ask the insurer to give you a copy of a Canadian proof of insurance card (no charge). The USA paperwork comes as standard with the policy.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Quote:

Both my previous ABA policy, and my current Qualitas policy (on my Mexican plated car) cover Mexico, USA (excl. Alaska) and Canada for both coverage and liability. For Canada, you need to ask the insurer to give you a copy of a Canadian proof of insurance card (no charge). The USA paperwork comes as standard with the policy.
Would you tell us why you switched from ABA to Qualitas?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:

My broker suggested the change as it was cheaper, for similar coverage. Not a vast difference (ABA was reasonable as well), but no need to pay more than I have to...

This year the policy was just under 7000 MXN (US$525) for a full year. Damage and theft (US$ 7000 car value), 3 million pesos liability in Mexico, 1.2 million pesos in US/Canada, plus some medical, legal and travel assistance. The premium goes down each year as the car declines in value. Might be worth switching to liability-only eventually, but even for full coverage for all three countries it's only $10 a week.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Quote:

My broker suggested the change as it was cheaper, for similar coverage. Not a vast difference (ABA was reasonable as well), but no need to pay more than I have to...

This year the policy was just under 7000 MXN (US$525) for a full year. Damage and theft (US$ 7000 car value), 3 million pesos liability in Mexico, 1.2 million pesos in US/Canada, plus some medical, legal and travel assistance. The premium goes down each year as the car declines in value. Might be worth switching to liability-only eventually, but even for full coverage for all three countries it's only $10 a week.
Excellent! Thank you so much.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 07:30 AM

http://colectivopericu.net/2014/02/14/avala-la-policia-feder...

Here is news related to this topic. The article states that Federal Police may not impound vehicles in the free zone, and that drivers of non-imported vehicles who comply with the basic requirements may choose a legal path and use Anapromex laminated stickers in the window instead of importation to legally drive throughout Baja's free zone.

Let's hear of reports.
gilmarlin

[*] posted on 2-21-2014 at 08:53 PM

I bought a house in San Felipe, I had an FM3, but I allowed it to lapse over a year ago because of all the confusion regarding the renewal of it. I was advised this time to apply for PR card at the Consulate in Calexico. Now I'm confused and wonder if I really want that if it is going to mean registering my car in Mexico. Is there another status that I should apply for as a property owner? I was advised that I needed some kind of resident card in case I have any legal disputes regarding my property. Thanks for any information...
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 09:54 AM

I read that the free zone had been canceled after the last election. if there is a free zone what area does it include.
PW
gilmarlin

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 10:28 AM

Evidently, nothing is "Free"...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 04:38 PM

gilmarlin, you have EVERY derecho with an FMM as you so with a permanente card. Because I am a citizen I can (and do) own land in the Federal Zone.

It's folks way the hell and gone deep in Mexico that sweated the residente carro nacional issue. You are so close to the border it should be a minor issue for you.

gilmarlin

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 04:45 PM

Thanks for the reply David, are you saying that an FM3(temporary resident) or an FM2 (permanent resident) card is what I should try and get? I'm going to San Felipe on Monday and want to try and start the process at the Consulate in Calexico on my way down...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 05:00 PM
New Cards

There are no more FM-3 (now Residente Temporal) or FM-2 (now Residente Permante). It is my understanding that you can only do up to 4 years as a Residente Temporal before you are required to upgrade to a Residente Permante. Might as well go for the Residente Permante as it will save you money on the Residente Temporal renewals..........however, YMMV

Quote:
Originally posted by gilmarlin
Thanks for the reply David, are you saying that an FM3(temporary resident) or an FM2 (permanent resident) card is what I should try and get? I'm going to San Felipe on Monday and want to try and start the process at the Consulate in Calexico on my way down...

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 05:13 PM

If you cross the border often, then why not go for the FMM twice a year? The residente permanente gives you no additional land rights. Hell I don't think my citizenship gives me additional rights over an FMM except as I wrote the ability to own a deed minus a fideicomiso. My home in Michoacan is 5 solid days of driving from the frontera and two trips a year would be hideously expensive and inconvenient. I do NOT trust this administration as far as I can hurl it. If they go through with their plans for placas nacionales, then it's going to complicate things a lot. Returning to the border every 5th year would be a pain for me. A 4,000 mile round trip. 145 dollars in tolls each way and higher-than-hell hotel rates. A multi-day stay in the USA? Ni Modo.

I would stick with the FMM personally. Rules change and noses snot up pretty suddenly these days.

thefishaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 09:56 PM
Foreign Plated Vehicules -PR-FMT

At a dinner party last nite here in Cabo someone said a local Federale got in a screaming match and threatened to confiscate a PR's car because of South Dakota Plates???

Turns out the PR fly's back and forth from the USA and leaves his car here. Others said they do the same.
I always thought that you cannot leave a foreign plated RV, Car or boat without the proper importation or TIP but if you are driving back and forth in the vehicle you were OK.

In speaking with a local semi official he stated that since we are PR and go back and forth in our Car it is OK?

Wondering if this leaving your vehicle here and the non payment of fees is what the PR issue is really all about.

Going to get interesting.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2014 at 09:18 AM
FMM and border crossings

I asked migration official at the Mexicali East crossing if we are supposed to turn in the FMM when we leave Baja. He said yes.
I then asked, if only for a day or two to get medicines etc.? He then said no need to turn it in for very short trips out of Baja.

Not sure what real answer is, but I guess like many things it is the what the official standing in front of you believes it is.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-23-2014 at 09:46 AM

I dont know how this relates to all this but a person applying for a new Visitante card had it bar code scanned after being issued it. The person asked if these were now being computerized and the answer was YES.

But several INM officials have reiterated that you CAN get consecutive Visitantes and/or multiple ones within a year.

I really think I am going back to the visitante, rather than going for RP. Just not worth it for someone who is only about 5 hours from the border. My cars are no longer importable according to the LATEST rumor I heard on qualifying vehicles. What am I supposed to do; buy a beaten up car down here if I want to travel south on the mainland? No thanks. Unless you buy a used car down here from a gringo, they are unmaintained pieces of chit.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.