BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Any musicians on this forum?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 07:07 PM

Fender Telecaster. Twin Reverb baby.

When I retire in Baja I plan on building a basic recording studio/practice space.

I've been too busy with work lately and have neglected my musical needs, supplementing with surfing. All that will change.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
My music career began when I was just a kid. I recorded two albums with Sundance in the early 70s, then went on tour with country star legend Rose Maddox. After that I played in several bands through the years. In 2003, I joined the band RDG. We won instrumental album of the year and performed live on NBC at the Los Angeles Music Awards. Later, we shared the stage with Blue Oyster Cult, Joe Satriani, Gary Hoey, George Lynch, Jefferson Starship and many more. Now I am basically a hired gun. I just do session work and fill in gigs. I am planning on bringing a bass rig, guitar rig and a small drum kit to my house in BOLA for some occasional jam sessions.

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bob53]

Used to go to Bakersfield to hear Rose Maddox. My stepsister was (is?) Lavern Yoakam, a? relative of Dwight and was (is?) married to Bob Peters (Little Bo Pete) a steel player with Johnny Paycheck.

Bob Durrell
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 07:50 PM

Bob53 Rose Maddux????? The day I met my wife Wendy, we attended a performance by Rose at a little lounge at Idelyld Park, east of Roseburg Oregon.
We drove up and after parking in the lot, managed to get out of the car couple hours later, and that was when Rose was leaving the lounge!!!!! 35-36 years ago. If ownership makes you a player. I own a Yamaha guitar that my son has tried to sneak out of the house numerous times. I own a clarinet (self taught poorly) A mandolin. A flute (lips are too old & dried out) Several harmonicas of various models (sort of play at these once in a while) Piano (took lessons in l945 for seven years) Own an electric keyboard we carried in our vehicle to Loreto over the years. Somewhere there is a juiceharp (yeah I know it's spelled differently. Just couldn't do it.) And a comb with wax paper. There. That is the end of my musical talent. Oh yes. vocal. Not so great. Can manage the 99 bottles of beer on the wall, without any problems. But that's the extent of it. Dang. Remembered another one. Took accordion lessons in l950 from Mrs. Smith. But never got good at it. Remember one tune still today. Vegetables on Parade. Was a masterpiece. Bet no one has ever heard of that one.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 08:43 AM

I have a practice room at my place and one of the beautys of living in a small town is that musicians find their way to my house. There can be issues of language when speaking, but Music is a universal language and we have spent countless hours playing songs back and forth. I can not believe how many songs have a spanish translation version like Jambalaya, Hang on Sloopy, Blue Bayou, 16 Tons, Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys, Etc.
In addition there are great workshops each year at the Mariachi Festival in Ensenada where you get lessons in Mariachi from the experts like Mariachi Vargas. So my repertoire has greatly increased and the cultural lines are a little more blurred.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Bob53 Rose Maddux????? The day I met my wife Wendy, we attended a performance by Rose at a little lounge at Idelyld Park, east of Roseburg Oregon.
We drove up and after parking in the lot, managed to get out of the car couple hours later, and that was when Rose was leaving the lounge!!!!! 35-36 years ago.

It's quite probable that I was performing that night with her. I played with Rose at the Idelyld Lounge on numerous occasions. Small world!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 08:54 AM

I was lead singer in a rock band for many years. My most recent musical foray was a 60 voice Bach choir.
No not Barbara Bach...JS!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:19 AM

I used to play guitar a lot (acoustic folk/electric rock/blues)....;but stopped when I bought a TV when I was in late 20's.

I just started playing again three weeks ago....picked up an electric Epiphone in a pawn shop ($80....feels and sounds good)...and just got a Telecaster (Fender Squire Classic Vibe....$400) and a couple of used amps (Roland AVG-3 and Line Six practice modelling amp)....great fun relearning and learning....

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:45 AM

We play the Djembe drums!

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:56 AM
Them's fightin' words...

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
No musicians, just drummers....

For my drummer friends!

On the other hand, I play piano. I was an accompanist for choral groups back in the day. Alas, it's difficult to take my piano down to see the whales.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
On the other hand, I play piano. I was an accompanist for choral groups back in the day. Alas, it's difficult to take my piano down to see the whales.

That's okay....the whales probably couldn't play the piano anyway....or if they did, it would be by fluke...:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 04:52 PM

I played the trumpet in Jr. High and first year in high school till I realized what a bunch of geeks we were and got the hell out of that! Got a girlfriend soon after! But as a freshman (1976) we did the Rose Parade. Still remember the song. Now trying to make time to learn guitar. My bro works for Yamaha music in Buena Park and got me an electric and acoustic. But so far I have no guitar talent at all. Did learn to sort of tune them and I dust them once a month.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:06 PM

Great thread. So much talent!
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Used to go to Bakersfield to hear Rose Maddox. My stepsister was (is?) Lavern Yoakam, a? relative of Dwight and was (is?) married to Bob Peters (Little Bo Pete) a steel player with Johnny Paycheck.

I just did a gig a couple weeks ago with a Dwight Yoakam tribute band. It was pretty fun.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:17 PM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Fast Eddie and The Slow Lernerz. We played the Mulege area a lot.:cool:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:36 PM

When I was a youngster, all in my family played some kind of instrument, so I was signed up to take piano, saxaphone, guitar & chorus lessons in the hopes something would take. But growing up as a Huckleberry Finn type made me a AWOL student. Probably a good thing, as later in life I became somewhat deaf due to tinnitus. I recall my HS chorus instructor mentioning that even though I couldn't sing a lick, I had good height and could stand in the 3rd row and just mouth the songs.

Music has always been part of Baja for us, and a real plus is that one better understands a nation by listening to it’s music. But, even though I am not one, I have hosted many musicians at mi Baja home and being a photobug have taken their pictures.

Photos below show some musical amigos that I have met in Baja and am pleased to call my friends. Enjoy them like I have.

One of my more musical Coyote Bay neighbors,Joe, has a home on Coronado Island, San Diego and often plays jazz with his retired buddies in the Gaslamp district. Great fun listening to these gents. Joe is playing the guitar.

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:48 PM

I had a Cornet once. I left it at the Casbah in San Diego, on accident. I was drunk and after playing "misplaced it."

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 07:04 PM

Played a few gigs there years ago with the band GIMIC.
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:29 PM

Bought a soprano ukulele for $20 from a co-worker a few years back. Figured it'd be easier than learning to knit mittens. Took a class at Mira Costa College & even though I have no musical background I really had fun with it. Roberto gave me a beautiful tenor ukulele (complete with a hard case & tuner) - gracias Compadre! - and now I play twice weekly (with Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers and Ukulele Society of America) and enjoy the heck out of it. The more I drink the better I sound! Half surprised nobody else has piped in saying they play ukulele...seems to be the rage these days.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 11:33 PM

Speaking of cornets, my father was a music major in college after WW2, and played cornet in his dance band (Miller/Dorsey/James era) and raised me to play also, and i became a classical french hornist until i tuned in, turned on and dropped out with rock and guitar (no, i didn't play a rock; he just wanted to smack me with one). I still have his R.A. Reynolds silver inlay cornet made in 1938 (he bought it new in high school) and serial #1788 or #1988... it's gorgeous, and since my lip is totally shot i'd love to find a good home for it. So, if someone is or knows a collector, u2u me. Price? For me it's priceless, but i'm willing to listen.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 07:54 AM

Started piano lessons in the 4th grade, and continued them for 8 years. Still play today, now and then. Love the piano! It takes me where I want to be sometimes.... And, voice. Sang in the Blue Jackets Choir when I was in the Navy. That was a great experience.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.