BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10
Author: Subject: New U.N. report out on climate change. Impact on Baja?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 06:57 PM

I don't think using your eyes to look at ocean levels is considered scientific. It's probably shifting sands.

This stuff happens over large periods of time.

Fast forward 100 years and you may notice a change, but day to day, year to year, nope.

I could be wrong and I'm willing to change my mind.

:biggrin:

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
On sea levels---until (if) there is a significant rise we wouldn't likely notice it on the west coast and Baja except for extreme events---that is, we won't notice it at normal tidal flow since there's a 8 or nine foot difference between high and low tide and most tides aren't that extreme. We would only notice it at the extreme high winter tides and even then when there's an extra push from a storm or something to push the water beyond former parameters.

I don't understand. If the tides are getting higher... then one should see it on the beach. (same if they were getting lower).
We have noticed the change here on the Pacific ocean side. Over the last year the water seems to be getting higher and higher at high tide. Maybe its the shifting sands on the beach..or cliff erosion...but the water is definitely higher and eating away at some of the bluffs.

Well, let's say your extreme winter tides are 7'6". But most of the high tides are around 5 or 6 feet---you won't notice a few inches over the normal tides but you will notice it with the extreme tides since it will push water higher than before.

But aren't tides measured against a mean and therefore a 5-6 high tide 5 years ago might be lower than a 5-6 ft high Tide today?

You might be right there, don't know if they change the mean.

I think I found it. National Tidal Datum Epoch: The specific 19-year period adopted by the National Ocean Service as the official time segment over which tide observations are taken and reduced to obtain mean values (e.g., mean lower low water, etc.) for tidal datums. It is necessary for standardization because of periodic and apparent secular trends in sea level. The present NTDE is 1983 through 2001 and is actively considered for revision every 20-25 years. Tidal datums in certain regions with anomolous sea level changes (Alaska, Gulf of Mexico) are calculated on a Modified 5-Year Epoch.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
On sea levels---until (if) there is a significant rise we wouldn't likely notice it on the west coast and Baja except for extreme events---that is, we won't notice it at normal tidal flow since there's a 8 or nine foot difference between high and low tide and most tides aren't that extreme. We would only notice it at the extreme high winter tides and even then when there's an extra push from a storm or something to push the water beyond former parameters.

hmmm..rising sea levels, many here have lived on the coast for many years and surely have seen evidence of such. those of us from the ventura area have probably walked out to the ventura rivermouth to see the remnants of the WWII panama gun mounts that are now completely underwater at high tide. you telling me that the beach is just sinking and the water level is the same? :?:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 08:51 PM

These guys measure sea level for a living, sea level change cannot be measured by comparing it to a land mass because land masses are not static. This is their conclusion based on very accurate instruments and testing procedures:

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

Is sea level rising?
Sea level is rising at an increasing rate.

With the majority of Americans living in coastal states, rising water levels can have potentially large impacts.

There is strong evidence that global sea level is now rising at an increased rate and will continue to rise during this century.

While studies show that sea levels changed little from AD 0 until 1900, sea levels began to climb in the 20th century.

The two major causes of global sea-level rise are thermal expansion caused by the warming of the oceans (since water expands as it warms) and the loss of land-based ice (such as glaciers and polar ice caps) due to increased melting.

Records and research show that sea level has been steadily rising at a rate of 0.04 to 0.1 inches per year since 1900.

This rate may be increasing. Since 1992, new methods of satellite altimetry (the measurement of elevation or altitude) indicate a rate of rise of 0.12 inches per year.

This is a significantly larger rate than the sea-level rise averaged over the last several thousand years.

[Edited on 11-3-2014 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 10:01 PM

Ateo's first post was the most intelligent one posted here on the subject in my opinion.

The subject has been discussed so many times that repeating yourself is just not worth the effort. Nobody ever changes their minds or even listens. And that's why the answer to Y,Y,Y is actually Y,Y,N. Nothing will be done except to build up barriers to prevent the seas from inundating areas by nations that can afford them.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

But even Aristotle's greatest fans -- and I count myself among them -- have to concede that he got some things so very wrong.

For instance here are some examples I can quote: (Ah...history! Don't you just love it?)

He writes that women have fewer teeth than men. It's unclear why he thinks this..maybe because he only counted young women’s teeth, without the wisdoms?

He thinks that men have hotter blood than women, have a more important role in reproduction, and are generally more perfect.

He notes that if you "mutilate" a boy -- lop off his testicles -- his voice never breaks and he never grows bald: he becomes feminized.

I don't think he thought much of women, as in his 'Politics' he doesn't even consider the possibility that women could be citizens.

If I have it right one of his most interesting theories was that women were a product of 'arrested development'. The natural development of a human was to grown from childhood to manhood. Women, with a physique that to him resembled that of prepubescent men were similar to undeveloped men and were simply beings who didn't achieve full development.

I really don't think that Aristotle was particularly antagonistic towards the opposite sex. Don't forget that as little as 200 years ago scientists felt that men were intellectually superior to women because their craniums were 20% larger. Of course, at the time there was zero understanding of how the brain functions. So, more neurons - more intelligence. Shaquille O'Neal must be a genius.

P.S. Art objects don't belong in a museum because of how good they are now but because of how good they were when they were painted. Many can paint a Mona Lisa now.

[Edited on 11-3-2014 by Skipjack Joe]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
These guys measure sea level for a living, sea level change cannot be measured by comparing it to a land mass because land masses are not static. This is their conclusion based on very accurate instruments and testing procedures:

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

Is sea level rising?
Sea level is rising at an increasing rate.

With the majority of Americans living in coastal states, rising water levels can have potentially large impacts.

There is strong evidence that global sea level is now rising at an increased rate and will continue to rise during this century.

While studies show that sea levels changed little from AD 0 until 1900, sea levels began to climb in the 20th century.

The two major causes of global sea-level rise are thermal expansion caused by the warming of the oceans (since water expands as it warms) and the loss of land-based ice (such as glaciers and polar ice caps) due to increased melting.

Records and research show that sea level has been steadily rising at a rate of 0.04 to 0.1 inches per year since 1900.

This rate may be increasing. Since 1992, new methods of satellite altimetry (the measurement of elevation or altitude) indicate a rate of rise of 0.12 inches per year.

This is a significantly larger rate than the sea-level rise averaged over the last several thousand years.

JESUS !
And now were supposed to believe science
Whats this world coming to
Glidergeek
Nomad

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 01:21 AM

"This rate may be increasing. Since 1992, new methods of satellite altimetry (the measurement of elevation or altitude) indicate a rate of rise of 0.12 inches per year."

So last time I went to the beach I did notice a 2.5" rise since 1990:O
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 09:01 AM

I didn't read the EPA report but I can guarantee that it contains no mention of Milankovitch Cycles (earth wobble). Somewhere in between the deniers and the true believers is an exact science dealing with how the earth moves in relation to axis and orbit. Even a quick study of the findings might convince some open minds that natural changes, over 26,000 year cycles would certainly trump the idea of spending a big part of the planet's resources to what?: change the movements of the earth, change it's speed, move the sun?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
On rising water levels, I realize that the Sea of Cortez may be affected a mite differently than the open Pacific. But this is reality and what happens in Coyote Bay. There is a concrete sea wall in front of many of the Coyote Bay homes that was built about 45 years ago. The sea levels have not changed on that wall in those 45 years...yet. We do get some very high tides in August and during other werewolf times, but nothing too alarming. Just saying....

[Edited on 11-3-2014 by Pompano]

Thank you Roger, as one who can remember driving the old road along Bahia Concepcion in 1966 where it was at sea level and it is still there almost 50 years later, we can see the sea isn't swallowing the land by rising. Coast erosion is normal but the level of the ocean has been unchanged or so tiny a change in our life that this panic is reminiscent of the story of Chicken Little.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 10:34 AM

Breaking news. The UN has just announced that Bigfoot is real, and that everyone can stop searching for him. There will be some who don't believe it, but you know how backward they are. Imagine, the impeccable reputation of the UN questioned by these ignorant deniers, liars, cheats, crooks, and undesirables. Re-education..that's it...or death.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 10:52 AM

UFO's are real too. that same guvmint said aliens will be found withing 10-20 years. I'm thinking they already are but big O doesn't want to deal with anymore negative press on his watch!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
On rising water levels, I realize that the Sea of Cortez may be affected a mite differently than the open Pacific. But this is reality and what happens in Coyote Bay. There is a concrete sea wall in front of many of the Coyote Bay homes that was built about 45 years ago. The sea levels have not changed on that wall in those 45 years...yet. We do get some very high tides in August and during other werewolf times, but nothing too alarming. Just saying....

Thank you Roger, as one who can remember driving the old road along Bahia Concepcion in 1966 where it was at sea level and it is still there almost 50 years later, we can see the sea isn't swallowing the land by rising. Coast erosion is normal but the level of the ocean has been unchanged or so tiny a change in our life that this panic is reminiscent of the story of Chicken Little.
explain this.

hmmm..rising sea levels, many here have lived on the coast for many years and surely have seen evidence of such. those of us from the ventura area have probably walked out to the ventura rivermouth to see the remnants of the WWII panama gun mounts that are now completely underwater at high tide. you telling me that the beach is just sinking and the water level is the same?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

So I guess you think that all the sophisticated instruments that NOAA scientists use to measure sea level aren't as accurate as your anecdotal evidence? It would be very difficult to perceive a 2" rise in sea level over the period of 50 years without some sort of instrumentation. We can argue the reasons for global climate change, and what the response should be, but the empirical evidence all indicates that it is happening.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 11:58 AM

" as one who can remember driving the old road along Bahia Concepcion in 1966 where it was at sea level and it is still there almost 50 years later"

hold on there hotrod, so you're tellin us that at nine years old you looked up from your etch-a-sketch long enough to make note of the water level as you past by bay of concepcion so you could compare it 50 years later! FASCINATING! :O
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 12:00 PM

Wouldn't it make sense if the air temps were rising (global warming) due to increased and more intense sunshine as claimed, that there would be more evaporation of the sea water?
Enough to mitigate any ice cap melting that is reported to be the culprit in rising sea levels?

More sunshine and higher temps.....higher rates of evaporation?
More evaporation leads to more moisture in the air and more rainfall as a result? Which ends up in the sea either by way of runoff and directly falling into the sea.
(and I am not even a white robed Bunsen burner geek)

In the end, I believe Mother Nature will figure it all out and make any corrections as need be.....all without any transfer of wealth to poorer countries or Al's LearJet
It's been that way since Adam and Eve stalked the forbidden fruit....when it comes to warmth, cold, rainfall or any other atmospheric phenomena.....Mother Nature rules the world.

Death and taxes is a constant......the rest is shear speculation based on models and driven by the almight buck.

nobodylikesyouanyway

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 12:28 PM

Attention all Dupes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-m09lKtYT4
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Wouldn't it make sense if the air temps were rising (global warming) due to increased and more intense sunshine as claimed, that there would be more evaporation of the sea water?
Enough to mitigate any ice cap melting that is reported to be the culprit in rising sea levels?

More sunshine and higher temps.....higher rates of evaporation?
More evaporation leads to more moisture in the air and more rainfall as a result? Which ends up in the sea either by way of runoff and directly falling into the sea.
(and I am not even a white robed Bunsen burner geek)

In the end, I believe Mother Nature will figure it all out and make any corrections as need be.....all without any transfer of wealth to poorer countries or Al's LearJet
It's been that way since Adam and Eve stalked the forbidden fruit....when it comes to warmth, cold, rainfall or any other atmospheric phenomena.....Mother Nature rules the world.

Death and taxes is a constant......the rest is shear speculation based on models and driven by the almight buck.

I don't think Adam and Eve were given a car or provided with electricity. They did not have aerosol cans, nor did they spill a lot of oil in the ocean. Mother nature might not be happy with what we are doing to her!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 12:51 PM

A c-cktail party debate about climate change is best way to gage a person's basic reasoning abilities in STEM. The denialists stick out like a sore thumb, when they ramble on about scientists lieing and Al Gore flying in a private jet and fleecing the populace,... get them to discuss something scientific and non-climate related, the conversation will leave you shocked at how far the decline of western civilization has progressed.

p.s. you don't want to trust any of the denialists to be your MD, dentist, engineer, etc. Watch out for the loopy ones! Their poor reasoning skills pervade all aspects of their being!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nobodylikesyouanyway
Attention all Dupes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-m09lKtYT4
Oh really, how do you explain that since 2007 when that video was made, the seven lowest Arctic sea-ice extents took place?

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.