Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Baja Nomad OP/ED
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The original poster said:

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

I think I will go down to Mexico and live without news, internet or radio and listen to music from sun rise to sun set.

That's a great idea and I hope you do it. At least like I do, for 4 or 5 months a year. We take our RV to one of the Conception Bay beaches and it's great, no TV, no Internet, no cell coverage. I even decided against satellite radio, just to keep it "clean". Once we're there, I don't miss being "connected" at all. Once a week we go into Mulege and I check my email, pay bills on the Inet, and maybe download a new book to my Kindle. Perfect.

All the Internet stuff can be habit forming. Best to get away when you can.

I like your style.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95  
The name calling gets tedious...

If this was an attempt to answer the OP question, perhaps some "translation" is in order.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
More and more evidence is mounting that liberals and conservatives actually have different brain development. One group show greater development in a part of the brain that allows them process information more readily, and more easily digest new kinds of, and conflicting ideas. Another group, when tested seems to more generally focus on how fearful they become when confronted with new ideas. It is the part of the brain responsible for the "fight or flight" response. (This is a gross over-simplification)
Perhaps because of different brain development, one group tends to be higher educated, free thinkers, educators, scientists and people open to new ideas. They are frequently opposed by those who refer to educated people as elitist and they wish to preserve their comfortable time worn prejudices, myths and superstitions. This group appears to fear unfamiliar things, and especially they fear their god.
I think that liberals are at fault for a lot of the recent conflict between these groups. For generations, while the church and the state were separate, liberals listened to "you have to respect our beliefs" with compassionate acceptance, now that a 100% Christian government has concentrated the nation's wealth in the hands of a tiny super rich minority, and we regularly hear calls for the Bible to be made the law of the land, the response is more likely to be "Like Hell we do!
Some folks, I'm proud to say, are just not going to be satisfied with an Armageddon cult, or other anti-scientific thinking, as the best future prospect for their individual or societal well being.
I believe I have a right to say these things because for months a troll denied my proud service in the military, and slandered me daily with an insane onslaught of fabrications on this forum. I'm not proud of the fact that he succeeded in causing me to stoop to his level. I renew my promise that I won't let that happen again.

So now I know that I can blame all my problems on differential brain development. And all this time I thought it was because colleges brain wash you into thinking the liberal line. This sure sounds like one of those studies that tell you that all butter is bad and you will longer and healthier if you avoid it, but the next week they tell you it is the best thing in the world for you.

You are perpetuating the problem with your pseudo studies and it is nothing more than an attempt to prove your superiority of mental capabilities because you are open to liberal thought.
How's that working out for you?

I read the original studies that proclaimed your thesis but the research was very faulty, but if it gives you comfort and knowledge that you can assume your feelings are mentally superior, then go for it.

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brett858  
"Of course I had to make the point, "so you want me to support your lifestyle but you can't support my AZ Lifestyle?" Needless to say, that was the last conversation we had."

small piece of advice, ignore it if you wish...

The thing that probably made her most upset is that you refer to her being gay as a 'lifestyle choice". The simple fact of the matter is that Gay people don't choose to be gay, they are born gay. it is wired into them to be naturally attracted to the same sex, the same way it's wired into us to be attracted to the opposite sex.

given the amount of persecution that gay people face, do you really think that anyone would simply CHOOSE to be gay ?

I don't disagree with you, but if you asked my niece, she would say it is a choice. She lived a straight life for nearly 40 years and she will be the first person to tell you that she wishes she wasn't gay.

But, bottom line, you are are not part of our family and you haven't known her since she was 5. So, really, your comments are not relevant to our family.
Your comments may be relevant to you and your family, but not ours.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Same here. I can't figure out how the other websites work, and Facebook is for people who want to be liked. That's never been one of my primary goals.

;)

Aint that the truth. I went on to Facebook for one month and couldnt stand it.

It is everyone talking about them. Blabbering about how they work and trying to sell books about missions and telling everyone how they should be living. Blah Blah Blah, it is a bunch of KIA's (know it alls)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 10:41 PM

13 hours,3 pages, and SOS, DD.

I was taught at an early age not to discuss religion or politics in public; those were for private conversations with people you could place a modicum of trust with and share/converse, and hopefully not break into argument.

This thread did all three, as well as bring out good ol' DK's paranoia, and a plethora of people saying "I don't feel" or "I'd never say":

But somehow, they say their opinions, which are like rectums, and everyone has AT LEAST one.

Cotez Blue, your intent was honorable. It paved a very short, wide freeway.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 06:25 AM

I'm a Tea Party Conservative, and, like every other one I know, I could care less about your sexual, drug or any other preferences. I just don't think that anything you do should cost me extra money. That's all. Self responsibility, especially financially. If your lifestyle, including all your wants, needs, or any perceived entitlements don't cost me extra money, than I say live and let live.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the Libertarian Party is that they're all about freedom to do whatever, but they have no "method" of preventing all that freedom from costing others more money or less of their freedom. They're like an idea tank without any responsibility.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 06:30 AM

Gee, that was enlightening, and right on subject..Thanks so much...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 06:40 AM

"Keep Christ in Christmas." Yep......keep Chri...........ohh well...probably too late for that anyway.
Glad to see there's still some life left out there, none the less.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Maybe that's why so many people are leaving? I am surprised that you are going to Baja at all....But maybe not..it's on a trip someone else organized....We ALWAYS enjoy your absence...
\

Really,,,,,you had to go there?

The harder I work, the luckier I get
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:29 AM

1. Many of the long-time valued contributors to this forum are now dead.
2. Trips to Baja have dropped considerably from years past, thus there is less to comment on.
3. Even if it's the same ole questions, "how's the road to ...", that is precisely what makes this forum relevant. i.e., up-to-date news from a poster who knows.
4. Incorporation of political views does not belong on this forum. Nothing makes my eyes glaze over faster than mention of "far left", or "republican" or similar - gag me.
5. Perhaps an effort to spur interest is warranted - e.g., a Baja slide show and dinner in San Diego (everybody bring 10 slides); a special slide show by Graham; an organized bus daytrip from TJ to the wineries; private charter fishing boat out of Old Mill - camp at Los Olivos; a couple carpools on a weekend to donate to the Old Men's Home - camp overnight nearby.

Yes, towns are getting bigger, there is more crime, roads are getting paved, more fences keep us away, regulations more strict, there are fewer fish and more bicyclists; our expectations based on the past may simply not fit today's evolved Baja. But there's still nothing like Baja.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:58 AM

Same here. I can't figure out how the other websites work, and Facebook is for people who want to be liked. That's never been one of my primary goals.

;)

It is everyone talking about them. Blabbering about how they work and trying to sell books about missions and telling everyone how they should be living. Blah Blah Blah, it is a bunch of KIA's (know it alls)

Hmmmm you talking about Nomads, Facebook, or both?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:01 AM

I sure agree with the last part of wilders post....Even tho Baja keeps changing, It is still one of the last great places...I likely have made my last trip, not because I love it less, but it has become more and more difficult just to make the drive....I am getting old, and its over 2000 miles....No fun anymore....and, more and more of my friends have left since the last hurricane, or died.....Mulege seems to have lost it's vitality, the people left seem to be trying to hang on to something that is gone forever. Fewer souls at events, fishing tournaments gone, empty homes.....Greyer heads.....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:05 AM

I sure agree with the last part of wilders post....Even tho Baja keeps changing, It is still one of the last great places...I likely have made my last trip, not because I love it less, but it has become more and more difficult just to make the drive....I am getting old, and its over 2000 miles....No fun anymore....and, more and more of my friends have left since the last hurricane, or died.....Mulege seems to have lost it's vitality, the people left seem to be trying to hang on to something that is gone forever. Fewer souls at events, fishing tournaments gone, empty homes.....Greyer heads.....

The times they are changin. I feel the same pain sometimes.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:21 AM

Canadian dollar, beheadings, U.S. economy, popularity of Los Cabos and other things have conspired to stop the clock on East Cape so for those of us who wanted things to stay like they were when we found them, we are very pleasantly surprised. Vitality is not even in my old vocabulary any more -- sloth and watching things rust was my dream and I am living it. I roamed the everglades when Miami was just a beachside rest-stop, went to Vegas when there were only 60,000 people in Clark County and got here when there were just 1300 smiling Mexicans and 5 gringos so my timing was accidental but fortuitous. Could you craft me " Nomad for Old people who don't move around and have no knowledge of politics"?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

TalkBaja, and Facebook are a venue to spout an opinion. Not a place for a discussion which BN has been known to be.
FB is a place to be seen and, hopefully, heard, but the participators, by and large, don't read back through a thread they join in hopes of presenting a new idea. it's all about me...me...me, and what I have to say.

Screw it all.....when Osprey / Jorge decides to leave I'm calling "shotgun."
Till then, I'm still a Nomad to the bone.
Yeah, I'm glad no one ever "spouts an opinion" here. LOL.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

;)

Hmmmm you talking about Nomads, Facebook, or both?

Yes, both. We kinda crossed over into social media

[Edited on 4-4-2015 by CortezBlue]

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

The times they are changin. I feel the same pain sometimes.
Then again, could we just be getting older, grumpier, and more cynical? Folks will always find something to gripe about, but I actually think that in many ways, things have gotten better around here, sure there's more people, but we have access to more goods and services, better healthcare, more art and culture, better roads and safer highways, better communications, better restaurants, and more diverse activities.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:17 AM

I don't think I griped about anything except maybe getting old....it's reality..All the things you mention as benefits? Not in Mulege....

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
More and more evidence is mounting that liberals and conservatives actually have different brain development. One group show greater development in a part of the brain that allows them process information more readily, and more easily digest new kinds of, and conflicting ideas. Another group, when tested seems to more generally focus on how fearful they become when confronted with new ideas. It is the part of the brain responsible for the "fight or flight" response. (This is a gross over-simplification)
Perhaps because of different brain development, one group tends to be higher educated, free thinkers, educators, scientists and people open to new ideas. They are frequently opposed by those who refer to educated people as elitist and they wish to preserve their comfortable time worn prejudices, myths and superstitions. This group appears to fear unfamiliar things, and especially they fear their god.
I think that liberals are at fault for a lot of the recent conflict between these groups. For generations, while the church and the state were separate, liberals listened to "you have to respect our beliefs" with compassionate acceptance, now that a 100% Christian government has concentrated the nation's wealth in the hands of a tiny super rich minority, and we regularly hear calls for the Bible to be made the law of the land, the response is more likely to be "Like Hell we do!
Some folks, I'm proud to say, are just not going to be satisfied with an Armageddon cult, or other anti-scientific thinking, as the best future prospect for their individual or societal well being.
I believe I have a right to say these things because for months a troll denied my proud service in the military, and slandered me daily with an insane onslaught of fabrications on this forum. I'm not proud of the fact that he succeeded in causing me to stoop to his level. I renew my promise that I won't let that happen again.

So now I know that I can blame all my problems on differential brain development. And all this time I thought it was because colleges brain wash you into thinking the liberal line. This sure sounds like one of those studies that tell you that all butter is bad and you will longer and healthier if you avoid it, but the next week they tell you it is the best thing in the world for you.

You are perpetuating the problem with your pseudo studies and it is nothing more than an attempt to prove your superiority of mental capabilities because you are open to liberal thought.
How's that working out for you?

I read the original studies that proclaimed your thesis but the research was very faulty, but if it gives you comfort and knowledge that you can assume your feelings are mentally superior, then go for it.

I would suggest that what you thought all along, (that teachers in the schools were brainwashing the students to be liberals), is unfounded. I will leave it to you to demonstrate that the people who rise to the highest levels of scientific knowledge and educational attainment are also the "dumbest" people in our society. My contention is that these people are the most intelligent among us.

Attached is a URL directing you to 16 peer reviewed studies which seem to bolster the case for thinking that there is a difference in brain development between liberals and conservatives. I would also recommend researching the PhD work of Dr. Sam Harris (neuro-biology) which is where I first became interested in the subject.

http://2012election.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=...

I'm not surprised that you would accuse me of perpetuating a problem by attempting to shine some light on it. Here's a light shining on schools where students REALLY ARE brainwashed. They are called Sunday Schools, and they are frequently taught in the basements of TAX FREE churches. They have resulted in the existence of a hundred million US citizens who generally believe that this week end is the anniversary of a day when a guy who had been dead for three days, suddenly re-animated, and flew without mechanical means, into the sky where he has been waiting for a couple thousand years for just the right moment to come back to earth and kill everybody. This is very common thinking among conservatives, not as popular with liberals. I find little other than childhood brainwashing to explain the continuing irrational belief. Perhaps this is where a lot of the knee jerk responses originate.

How's that working out for this unapologetic liberal? It would be humorous if it weren't such a sad symptom of poor reasoning skills afflicting millions of our citizens and as a result effecting me.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.