Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: The Desert Hawks need your help........ *** Update ***
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-25-2015 at 06:01 AM

Don Antonio,
I laud and applaud what you're doing. 17 years ago I was on the ground floor of 'building a fire department' in the middle of nowhere, scrounging new stuff, repairing old, building and expanding, for a very small town with miles of open range in every direction; very isolated.

I went on to trainings, and was certified in the Jaws of Life.... one thing to put on your wish list if you haven't yet are air-bags for cribbing; worth their weight in gold. Also a good stack of 3' to 4' lengths of 4"x4'' to compliment are extremely valuable. I don't know the cost of the air bags, but after a 3 - day seminar and dozens of chopped up vehicles, we used those bags extensively, especially in roll-over and entrapment situations.

Anyone stopping in Ensenada on the way south, drop off some 4x4's that can be cut up and stacked in a 'brush truck' (or where you carry your Jaws). Saves lives, and crew as well. Buena Suerte, Bomberos!

I'm in a place now I can't help financially, but this too shall change. Good luck on your acquisitions and trainings. Wish I could help more.... future is just around the corner.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2015 at 08:34 AM

great news! and more to come, thanks to all the donors and future donors who read this. none of us want to ever need your services but preparing you to serve whomever does is priceless.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 4-25-2015 at 02:00 PM
Rescue Rig paid for...

The Rescue Rig has been paid for ($1,000 dollars) and it is on its way to El Rosario from Trinity Center in Northern California. Second objective on the process.

We are also doing fund raising activities in El Rosario right now. Our volunteers motivation is very high.

Thank you for all your support... together we can save lives!!!

The Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue Team

Rescue Rig.jpg - 43kB

Collecting April 25th, 2015.jpg - 48kB

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2015 at 05:05 PM

Thanks Antonio. Keep the updates coming. I know there are some who have not contributed.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-25-2015 at 05:15 PM

Thank you for the updates and information about your efforts & progress. We appreciate all your work.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 07:29 AM

Antonio, that rig looks great, I hope to never see the inside. When you give, you get a very nice letter for the tax guy. Keep up the good work.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 07:43 AM

right you are MMc...every little bit helps!!! This is like passing through those Red Cross stops where you put some pesos in their cans...just in case!

mil gracias Antonio por todo que haz hecho!!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 07:58 AM

wonder if there is a way we can turn those letters off so they can save the stamp if you do not need it.
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 07:54 PM

Antonio

Another donation is headed your way.

Thank you for doing what you do!

�The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.� � Mencken
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 09:29 AM

Bump. and read this thread.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78630
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 04:45 PM

Agree with not getting a letter. Some folks like to declare it on taxes,I haven't much for tax reasons, I think doing right is good enough.
Like bumping this to the top. Please feel free to give!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

a-commit

[*] posted on 4-29-2015 at 09:37 PM
Rescue Rig to El Rosario

I represent the U.S. side of Commitment. On Monday, April 27, I delivered the Mini-Pumper/Rescue Rig to El Rosario. Antonio Munoz was in another vehicle delivering supplies to his gas station and hotel. We also stopped at San Quintin to give some fire equipment to the fire station there.

The rescue rig was well received by the Desert Hawk volunteers who met us when we arrived in El Rosario. The vehicle has 4WD, can carry 250 gallons of water, has a pumping unit on it, a winch, a portable generator. It is built to handle wild fires but will prove valuable in getting around El Rosario in tight spaces and narrow streets. It will be able to transport the Jaws of Life and provide much needed flexibility to the Desert Hawks to respond to emergencies.

After we arrived on Monday night, the Desert Hawks were called on an emergency. Antonio asked if I would join him and Isela to go to the eastern part of El Rosario to help a woman in need. The woman was quickly diagnosed with a CVE or Cerebral Vascular Event which could involve an embolism or blockage and if untreated could cause paralysis or worse. The individual was placed in the ambulance and administered oxygen. A call was placed to the Central Medical office to get some medication to help stabilize the patient. In the meantime, Isela could not accompany us to San Quintin and quickly called for help and got two other EMTs to respond named Karely and Fenkia to take her place. The trip to San Quintin was routine.
Karely and Fenkia did regular updates on the patient, which is needed by the doctor, checking her pulse, blood pressure, oxygen levels etc. The patient responded to the treatment and the TLC. When we arrived at San Quintin, the doctor analyzed the information and determined the patient had to be moved to Ensenada. After further stabilization, the patient was placed in another ambulance. We are waiting on word on her condition.

The Desert Hawks returned to El Rosario after 1:00 AM in the morning with full knowledge and satisfaction that they had done all they could. Before the Desert Hawks, a patient like this would have been taken by car to San Quintin. The lack of oxygen and medication would likely have resulted in a negative outcome. The Desert Hawks are making a big difference. The community has responded positively to their presence.

It was a rewarding trip to see how well the Desert Hawks work together as a team. Everyone know their role and they do their work quickly and as efficiently as possible.

I would like to thank the Baja Nomads for their support and contributions that make doing this kind of work possible. It is good for all of you to know that when you travel in Desert Hawk country, "When you are passing through, the Desert Hawks are looking out for you"

You make mention of saving a stamp. Acknowledgement letters can be sent by email. To qualify for a tax deduction, an official letter needs to be sent out. While not everyone does itemized returns, we feel it is best to acknowledge their contribution. The stamps are donated to Commitment.
Muchimas Gracias and Thanks to all.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-30-2015 at 04:04 AM

Thanks for helping, Andy!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2015 at 06:40 AM

Thanks , Was going to use my Paypal receipt for tax purposes. Just trying to save you time and money. if easier to send it, do so by all means. What ever is easiest for you guys. Keep up the good work.

[Edited on 4-30-2015 by rts551]
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2015 at 09:38 PM

I never hope to use your services but Pay Pal on its way

Thanks for all you great work...
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2015 at 09:41 PM

oops I hope to never use your services

Must have been a slip
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 11:08 AM
[b]CONTRIBUTE[/b]

I happen to notice that there are more than 2000 views on this thread but something escapes me that there does not seem to be an over abundance of contributors.. Come on Nomads the life save by Desert Hawks could be your own.
Every donation is important no matter the amount and serves a worthy cause. Please step up to the plate and donate.

Has an update been posted on how much has been collected and how much more is needed...

Reach into your pocket and give it is easy with Pay Pal
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 11:20 AM

Many donate to causes here anonymously, I'm sure that's the case here. I agree it's a very worthy cause.

Quote: Originally posted by El Comadante Loco  
I happen to notice that there are more than 2000 views on this thread but something escapes me that there does not seem to be an over abundance of contributors.. Come on Nomads the life save by Desert Hawks could be your own.
Every donation is important no matter the amount and serves a worthy cause. Please step up to the plate and donate.

Has an update been posted on how much has been collected and how much more is needed...

Reach into your pocket and give it is easy with Pay Pal
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

Many donate to causes here anonymously, I'm sure that's the case here. I agree it's a very worthy cause.

Yes

[Edited on 5-1-2015 by DianaT]

El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

Yes

I hope so and will take that as very positive.

[Edited on 5-1-2015 by DianaT]
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.