Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sea of Cortez Hates Dodge Trucks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 09:49 AM

This thread had me searching for a list of the world's most extreme tidal range... and while I found one with the top 5 and then one with the top 50 reporting sites (many were in the same area, so it didn't provide the top 50 unique locations), so the upper Gulf of California wasn't included.

https://top5ofanything.com/list/f602f155/Highest-Tides-on-Ea...

I did find a super site for finding the tide graph, and it is live with a blinking dot on where on the graph the tide is now. Here is the link for San Felipe... and you can change the location for your Baja spot: http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/San-Felipe-2/tides/la...

Of interest, it says the maximum tidal range there is 22.5 ft. (6.85 m.).

The El Golfo range (at the top of the gulf) is 26.3 ft. (8.01 m.)

That makes the gulf very great among world tides, but it is half the maximum range found in Canada (16 meters, Bay of Fundy).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 10:31 AM

Thanks for the link David, I wish it still showed the highest 'spring' tides, because that is what I blundered into. I always thought Cook inlet was number two behind the Bay of Fundy.
Perhaps the reason the Knik Arm of cook inlet is so extreme is because it has several major rivers that could be near flood stage with spring run off at the same time as the peak tides.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Von  
They do have that CVT low range at the moment. Im currently driving an Outback and my daughter got my older impreza. never gets stuck. <yet> lol~

Good to know, I thought it was extinct! Now if they could just put out a no frills, easy to work on model....

BTW, If you never get stuck, you're not trying hard enough!

[Edited on 5-29-2015 by AKgringo]

Subaru... https://www.facebook.com/outtasightracing

[Edited on 5-31-2015 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 07:59 PM
Turnagain arm VS cortez

Hola David,, I Guess you have not spent any time in AK. the Tide shift's make the sea of cortez seem "gentle" by any thought or reason... when you seen a "Tidal Bore" and the volume and rush..its something to Behold..I am under the thought that the RMS/AVG. tide range for the "turn again arm is 28 ft and AK poster is correct about the bay of fundy... Which I am looking forward to seaing !! K&T:cool:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:21 PM

Thirty eight feet, who knew?

That beats San Felipe and Puerto Peñasco by at least 7 feet. All the time I spent in AK, I never encountered a 30' tide.
During my spring days, I was in Anchorage and Yukon area.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
This thread had me searching for a list of the world's most extreme tidal range... and while I found one with the top 5 and then one with the top 50 reporting sites (many were in the same area, so it didn't provide the top 50 unique locations), so the upper Gulf of California wasn't included.

https://top5ofanything.com/list/f602f155/Highest-Tides-on-Ea...

I did find a super site for finding the tide graph, and it is live with a blinking dot on where on the graph the tide is now. Here is the link for San Felipe... and you can change the location for your Baja spot: http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/San-Felipe-2/tides/la...

Of interest, it says the maximum tidal range there is 22.5 ft. (6.85 m.).

The El Golfo range (at the top of the gulf) is 26.3 ft. (8.01 m.)

That makes the gulf very great among world tides, but it is half the maximum range found in Canada (16 meters, Bay of Fundy).

WOW!

I know it would take of someone's resolve, such as yours, to put in the proper research for world tides.
Thanks for the information and your diligent research...you are the tops in my book!

Udo

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Hola David,, I Guess you have not spent any time in AK. the Tide shift's make the sea of cortez seem "gentle" by any thought or reason... when you seen a "Tidal Bore" and the volume and rush..its something to Behold..I am under the thought that the RMS/AVG. tide range for the "turn again arm is 28 ft and AK poster is correct about the bay of fundy... Which I am looking forward to seaing !! K&T:cool:

Other than flying over Greenland on my way to Egypt, the furthest north I have been on land is Vancouver Canada, eh?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:38 PM
DK

Your a hoot !! If you get a chance ck out ALASKA...you will not regret it !! Thanks for ALL your posts..K&T:cool:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:45 PM
Next high tide in Anchorage

Tomorrow morning the high tide at the port of Anchorage will be 30.13 feet. The following low will be -1.94 feet. It will be slightly higher going a little further up Knick Arm. The highs and lows will be greater closer to the solstice.

Edit That is the NOAA forecast, wind and river conditions could affect it.

[Edited on 6-1-2015 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:50 PM

Photos please AKgringo!:D

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:56 PM

D.K., I am not there yet! May and June is my favorite time of the year there, but I am stuck in Northern CA with an old dog that is not well enough to travel.
Beside that, I still haven't spent the time to learn how to post photos.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 06:15 AM
Dodge Trucks

If you Really want to take that truck outback...Like I have..Hell BAJA in 78 was outback..CK out Bodie, CA. BURN'S Oregon...HYDER, AK or damn near anywhere in AK....LOL ! then you know your truck works well !!:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 06:39 AM

D.K., I am not there yet! May and June is my favorite time of the year there, but I am stuck in Northern CA with an old dog that is not well enough to travel.
Beside that, I still haven't spent the time to learn how to post photos.

The steps are easy... just follow, and if you need help, just ask! The following is the first post on the Baja Nomad Photo Album forum:

We can help! Here's the step by step using one of the photo hosting sites 'Photobucket.com':

There are many photo hosting sites, Photobucket.com is one used by many here, it is free for basic membership and very cheap for advanced.

1) Create an album for your trip or subject on Photobucket.

2) Click Upload (top center) to transfer photos from your PC folder to your Photobucket album.

3) Click on the gear symbol on the right corner of the box you see on the screen...

4) Select 800 (full size) or 640 (large size) for Nomad posting...

100x75 is the Avatar size, fyi.

5) Click SAVE!

6) Select photos you want to share on Nomad (or other forums) by pressing the Choose Photos & Videos button (or for the entire folder of photos, click Choose Folder).

Once done with uploading photos, make your post here on Baja Nomad and add photos using the IMG link from the choices of links for each photo in your album. Copy and paste that link in your Nomad thread, double spacing between links. Add a caption to the photo if desired... Click Preview Post to check your post... if okay, click Post Reply.

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 08:50 PM

HERE ARE SOME ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF THE DODGE THAT GOT LOST IN SAN FELIPE

Udo

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Tis the season, Memorial Day 2015

Near Pete's Camp in San Felipe, another American watched to many TV commercials, from Dodge, and dumped his 2014 pickup into a mud hole in the Sea of Cortez.

Don't folks get it, just because Sam Elliot, uses his deep voice to talk about a Dodge Ram truck, that it is still a Fiat Truck. Dodge has been on the bottom of the barrel for truck sales, FOR YEARS and it is obvious, they can't swim either!:P

...this guy don't care if its a Fiat or not....

A Husband went to the sheriff's department to report that his wife was missing.

Husband: My wife is missing. She went shopping yesterday and has not come home.

Sergeant: What is her height?

Husband: I'm not sure. A little over five-feet tall.

Sergeant: Weight?

Husband: Don't know. Not slim, not really fat.

Sergeant: Color of eyes?

Husband: Sort of brown I think. Never really noticed.

Sergeant: Color of hair?

Husband: Changes a couple times a year. Maybe dark brown now. I can't remember.

Sergeant: What was she wearing?

Husband: Could have been pants, or maybe a skirt or shorts. I don't know exactly.

Sergeant: What kind of car did she go in?

Husband: She went in my truck.

Sergeant: What kind of truck was it?

Husband: A 2007, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Automatic Transmission, SLT Package, 4x4, Quad Cab, Fog Lamps, Tow Mirrors, Sliding Rear Glass, Power Windows and Locks and climate controlled air conditioning. It has a custom matching white cover for the bed, which has a matching aftermarket bed liner. Custom leather 6-way seats and "Bubba" floor mats. Trailering package with gold hitch and special wiring hook-ups, CD Player and DVD with full GPS navigation, satellite radio receiver, 23-channel CB radio, six cup holders, a USB port, and four power outlets...

...I also added special alloy wheels and off-road Michelins. It has custom chrome running boards and indirect wheel well lighting...

At this point the husband began to choke up...

Sergeant: Don't worry, buddy. We'll find your truck!!!;D...

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 07:45 AM

Good one Carlos!:bounce:

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 05:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I don't know if this Dodge truck is gas or diesel, but the Sea of Cortez hates it no matter what.

THATS THE ONE

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.