BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: TECATE Businessmen, YOU have a PROBLEM!
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The people of tecate don't care if cops fłeece gringos. 99% of gringos in tecate are passing thru and don't even purchase so much as a taco. The cops are smart to fleece these transients, as no local gives a flip.

We should just consider it a tax for using the roads through the municipality, in line with an airport exit tax. Averaged out over all of the visitors who pass through, it's mere pennies a piece. And, best of all, it's spent locally, so it stimulates economic activity in the city/region.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  

And just because you and many others have totally bought into the biggest scam in history, does not mean that it is. Consensus is not science. A bunch of folks getting grant money to come to the conclusions wanted by their grantors will usually result in more grant money. I know this is a difference of opinion and not in line with the pc view The global warming crowd will tolerate anything except a differing view.

[Edited on 6-13-2015 by bajacamper]

Boy, talk about misdirection! "[J]ust because you and many others" includes something like...what is it?...99% of the scientific community?

You follow that up with "[c]onsensus is not science." Of all things for you to introduce into the conversation.

And, my personal favorite, "[a] bunch of folks getting grant money to come to the conclusions wanted by their grantors will usually result in more grant money." Yes, my friend, we liberals have such deep, deep pockets that we are able to fund 99% of the scientific community to fill up their reports with those bought conclusions. In classic misdirection, you take the very (and only) method to support your very narrow, unfounded-on-anything-remotely-scientific opinion and apply it to the other side.

Unfortunately, most media outlets no longer do any investigative journalism so this methodology is allowed to pass as and "equal but opposite" perspective when in reality it should be laughed out of the room. Yours isn't simply an opinion that "the Global-warming crowd won't tolerate." Wish it were so simple. The truth is that we are on the border of doing great harm to the Human Race (the planet will survive whether we're here or not), but people like yourself--who allow this nonsense to get traction, if only among the uninformed--only serve to prolong the day that we finally come to terms with it and do something about it. I only hope, for my kids' sake, that it isn't too late.

No, my friend, our divergent views on the effects of global warming are far from "a difference of opinion." One is based on the realities of undisputable facts backed by science while the other belongs among books that begin with "Once upon a time..."

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 02:08 PM

Perhaps we should ask the Tecate cops for their opinion on Global warming, Palm tree growth and Vidalia onions as long as we are on the subject. The lil pudgy guy is a registered demopublican....

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Perhaps we should ask the Tecate cops for their opinion on Global warming, Palm tree growth and Vidalia onions as long as we are on the subject. The lil pudgy guy is a registered demopublican....
:lol::lol:

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
As usual, DK gets blamed for injecting a political view into a non-political thread, when actually it was bajabuddha, as bajacamper pointed out. And or course chuckie blindly piles right on. Come on children, really.

ncampion, go back to page one and my original post; then read (DK's BFF) bajacamper's ...... I believe the FIRST mention of any ''blamed for injecting a political view into a non-political thread" was not me, but DK's champion and most ardent supporter.
My point was that according to our Resident Expert on Everything Baja, if it didn't happen to him it isn't "universal", even though event after event has been reported. I stayed on-topic, chumly.

Here, let me help;
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I'm afraid I have to agree 100% with DK on this one. Just because it happens to a lot of people, and is increasing blatantly, but didn't happen to HIM does mean it doesn't happen to EVERYBODY UNIVERSALLY. After all, the corrupt cops can't pull everyone over all at the same time, right? Besides, he was just there and wasn't hassled, and hadn't changed since the last time he was there, so therefore there isn't a growing problem because he didn't see it happen, therefore it doesn't exist.

In David's world. Viva OZ !!

Now, on topic, I've been stopped a half-dozen times in Tecate for mordida, and used good manners and bad Spanish with a little firmness and haven't paid mordida.....yet..... there at least. Far's 'transient tourists not leaving any money there' that's a bunch of flat-out BS. The OP mentioned he used to spend time and money there; I always gas up just south of town, going and coming. A shake-down is a shake-down, and it's a crime. When done by a cop it's a double-crime, and I don't care how you paint it. Tecate IS NOTORIOUS, and all it does is put a bad rub on a possible great vacation. No wonder tourism is down across the board in Baja.

I thought the OP was a good thread. Don't blame me for the train wreck on the political agendas: prove what I did or please, STFU.
Big poo-poo-head. :P

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 03:35 PM

I like Chuckie's approach.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 06:16 PM

I wish it was possible to know all things Baja, but I don't think it is possible, and it is sure NOTHING I have ever claimed. There will always be more Baja that I don't know than I do know... and that is why it is magic and will be special to me for all my life.

The thing you don't want to accept is that I willingly SHARE all my Baja data (not all personal data, but in books, magazines, etc.) to increase awareness and lust for this great peninsula. Informed Baja Nomads are NOT the threat to keeping Baja beautiful, just the opposite is true.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
As usual, DK gets blamed for injecting a political view into a non-political thread, when actually it was bajabuddha, as bajacamper pointed out. And or course chuckie blindly piles right on. Come on children, really.

ncampion, go back to page one and my original post; then read (DK's BFF) bajacamper's ...... I believe the FIRST mention of any ''blamed for injecting a political view into a non-political thread" was not me, but DK's champion and most ardent supporter.
My point was that according to our Resident Expert on Everything Baja, if it didn't happen to him it isn't "universal", even though event after event has been reported. I stayed on-topic, chumly.
:P

Ok Buddha, Let me help you.
DK's post #2 was completely on topic, your post # 11 was the one that was derogatory to DK. Then BajaBoy jumped in against DK in post # 14 and # 16. BajaCamper didn't post till # 20 in support of DK's position.
You were clearly the originator of the OT ranting. I've noticed this same thing happen several other times on this board.
That's the last I'm saying about this. As Mark Twain said, “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 09:28 PM

Sorry I confused the issue with facts. My first post was on topic about Tecate corruption. I call BS when I see it, and I am guilty as charged of noticing it more than once from someone who's far more notorious than I of hijacking threads for personal political aggrandizement.

If you're going to count posts and state facts, don't forget post #15 (DK's) of your "he-said-she-said" Your Honor.

"The sun may kiss the morning sky.

The bird may kiss the butterfly,

The dew may kiss the morning grass,

And you, dear soul,

Farewell."

[Edited on 6-15-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 08:22 AM

Can't we all just get along??? Buddah, I don't want to fight with you... and being an old man now, I might say something that sounds to others as combative, but I don't intend it to be such. I am sorry.

ncampion, thank you for understanding me better!

Now, how about a big VIVA BAJA, and let's all have a fun summer!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 08:23 AM

Amen!!!!

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Can't we all just get along??? Buddah, I don't want to fight with you... and being an old man now, I might say something that sounds to others as combative, but I don't intend it to be such. I am sorry.

Now, how about a big VIVA BAJA, and let's all have a fun summer!!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Sometimes "agreeing" is not understanding. :light:

And we understand many of your points.....some of us just don't agree.

[Edited on 6-16-2015 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2015 at 05:21 PM

Amen Brother!

pacocacho

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 06:43 AM

(Can we still post in this thread or is it closed?)

Quote: Originally posted by junkyarddog  
'send backs' to the US side because we could no longer bring in our favorite foods to sustain our 6-9 month stays in the sun in Baja. Freezers with $700 worth of our favorite meats and cheeses that were just not available in rural Baja had to be disposed of back in the US before we could re-enter with our now empty freezers.

I think you are trying to get support on your “food importing practice” by mixing too many things in the bowl.

The cops’ corruption is there and it’s hard to deny or justify. But it has nothing to do with you trying to bring quantities above what is allowed for a tourist.

I understand that you don’t consider yourself a typical tourist, and that you are coming in for 6 to 9 months (I assume you have some type of visa, since as a visaless tourist you could only stay for a maximum of 180 days, which is slightly less than 6 months –remember 31 day months-).

Even if Baja California and BCS are still considered “Region Fronteriza” that allow for the residents to have a different import regime, if you are not a resident, you can’t apply for those benefits, and even if you were, it has a cap of 150 USD per day per person (with a 400 cap per car) so this can’t be part of your argument either.

( I imagine in that same Tecate Border a Mexican trying to cross to the States 4 pounds of chiles jalapeños, 10 pounds of tortillas, some machaca and some avocados and I can’t but see him 6 months in jail)

So what was “tolerated” in the past will not necessary still be tolerated in the present of the future. And that is what it was (or still is); Toleration. You can’t bring more that what is in a list in this link;

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/includes/asp/download.asp?IdDocum...

which says basically that you can bring up to 3 kg of packaged cheese and up to 5 kg of “processed” meat.
“Fresh, refrigerated or frozen beef, packaged and stamped by the corresponding health authority” is FORBIDDEN REGARDLESS OF ORIGIN…

more info: http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=3694

There is always the "legal importation" process, (you will have to pay taxes...)

I think we should thank the universe when we get away with our little misdemeanours but we should not think we are entitled to them...

If you want to stay in Baja forever... eat Ciruelas Del Mogote in La Paz
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 07:40 AM

Thanks for the links pacocacho.

You said "So what was “tolerated” in the past will not necessary still be tolerated in the present of the future."

That's the truth. Mexico is getting much more formal at the border. Things have certainly changed in terms of what you can take to Mexico at the crossing I use - San Ysidro. And I think it's no so much the laws have changed, it's more about enforcing the laws. They turned me around once because I had a outboard motor in my trunk (and I said I was willing to pay an import fee - nope) and a friend of mine was not allowed to bring small house plants across the border. She had to go back to the US too.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 07:53 AM

Must change like the wind.....I went through Tecate in February with a freezer loaded with Venison, Elk, Antelope and game birds....I was asked what was in it and told them.....They asked a few questions about what did the various things taste like and sent me on my way.....Same freezer came back full of fish....
(Chicken tastes a lot like rattlesnake)

[Edited on 6-16-2015 by chuckie]

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 12:53 PM

Must change like the wind.....I went through Tecate in February with a freezer loaded with Venison, Elk, Antelope and game birds........

[Edited on 6-16-2015 by chuckie]

Chuckie,
What did you do? Rob a taxidermist's place? :lol::lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 12:58 PM

Mostly roadkill.....

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 01:06 PM

Mostly roadkill.....

All in one big bag. Great for sausage or "stew".

Back on point. I have never been questioned much about what I have in the small freezer I carry, but it ain't $700 dollars worth either.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.