Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Passport needed to enter Mexico in Tijuana
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2015 at 08:37 AM

I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming. It isn't any more complicated than that. This is a Baja forum, not a U.S. forum about northbound visitors to the U.S.. Talk to you congressman if you want it easier for Mexicans to come north through the legal borders. I have no problem with that.

As for Baja bound travelers:
My LESS government is the BEST government solution opens up the flood gates of money that previously flowed into Baja when the border wasn't complicated with regulations and fees just to begin one's vacation. In the 70's, 80's, 90's, San Felipe was packed on every 3 day weekend, Easter Break, New Years week, etc.

The other group that is harmed are working American families, on a budget, made worse by the economic disaster of the past 6 years, who would love to camp on a beach or mountain or desert in Baja for just a little bit of freedom, but the hassles or fears of Mexico travel keeps them away... and again the MEXICAN people of Baja are denied the income that previously went their way.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-24-2015 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming. It isn't any more complicated than that. This is a Baja forum, not a U.S. forum about northbound visitors to the U.S.. Talk to you congressman if you want it easier for Mexicans to come north through the legal borders. I have no problem with that.

As for Baja bound travelers:
My LESS government is the BEST government solution opens up the flood gates of money that previously flowed into Baja when the border wasn't complicated with regulations and fees just to begin one's vacation. In the 70's, 80's, 90's, San Felipe was packed on every 3 day weekend, Easter Break, New Years week, etc.

The other group that is harmed are working American families, on a budget, made worse by the economic disaster of the past 6 years, who would love to camp on a beach or mountain or desert in Baja for just a little bit of freedom, but the hassles or fears of Mexico travel keeps them away... and again the MEXICAN people of Baja are denied the income that previously went their way.

Dk,
The reason many gringos stopped going to Mexico via land is crime stories in the news.
I know many San Diego people with passports and they travel abroad, but they have heard stories about Mexico and don't want to go there.
Red tape at the border is inconsequential to most people.

The economy has recovered. get over it - you need to move on with your life and quit blaming Obama and the democrats for all of your own problems :light:
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2015 at 06:49 PM

Hiked up the hill at San Ysidro today into Mexico, passport, sentri and passport cards in hand. Two ladies inside the area you pass through to be checked. Neither looked up. No questions asked. Driving? Quien sabe1
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2015 at 07:08 PM

I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming.

Take a guess, what percentage of the peninsula's economy is based upon Americans walking and driving across the border?

I'd guess 1/2 of one percent. Just a guess.

What do you guys think?
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2015 at 08:08 PM

i think the extremely negative cultural impact of USAmericans on the Baja outweighs tourist dollars, especially when one considers a city like la paz, which has enriched a few families while putting many more families out of business. the more tourists' demands that everything be like the usa -- malls, golf courses, fancy nonmexican restaurants, etc. -- the poorer the country will get in all kinds of ways by catering to them. just ask the mexicans who have lived for generations in cabo san lucas or todos santos.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2015 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  
i think the extremely negative cultural impact of USAmericans on the Baja outweighs tourist dollars, especially when one considers a city like la paz, which has enriched a few families while putting many more families out of business. the more tourists' demands that everything be like the usa -- malls, golf courses, fancy nonmexican restaurants, etc. -- the poorer the country will get in all kinds of ways by catering to them. just ask the mexicans who have lived for generations in cabo san lucas or todos santos.

Interesting thoughts... La Paz has long been an island far far from manufacturing and modern conveniences until recently over the last decade. The demand for big box stores and consumerism is fueled by a population of diverse people who are largely from Mexico and a minority of US North Americans who generally bring the things they want from the North since it i cheaper to bring it than buy it. It is unfortunate that the population drives purchasing from larger stores, as opposed to small local stores, while both of those stores are owned by Mexican companies.

People demanding rustic, traditional goods include North Americans who visit local artisans and organic farmers.

The overall population of La Paz is largely Mexican who are diverse from all over Mexico. Acknowledge that for seemingly ever it was impossible to buy modern goods and if you could the costs were outrageous. So these conveniences of big box and small convenience stores brings equality, fairness and competitiveness to the region. Pacenos shop shop shop like there is no tomorrow.

If you want to encourage change, to reduce the loss of economy that big box stores created by shipping all the money away, it will require thoughtful education and partnership with local Mexicans and all people. And don't look to large foundations or charities since they are the ones most often connected to big box stores.

I make it my practice to visit each small store I can throughout Baja and buy something and meet the people, that is where the quality, friendships and cultural experiences exist.

[Edited on 6-30-2015 by gnukid]
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 07:11 AM

interesting thoughts, as well, sir. although the literally hundreds of fishermen whose livelihood was stolen by the resorts along the cabo gold coast that have a legal right to restrict access to the pacific but a moral obligation not to interfere with local commerce might disagree about what is "fair". as would all of my adopted mexican family who are three generations in la paz, and all of my paceno friends whose hearts are broken by the incredible ugliness and arrogance of the developments on the hillsides between downtown and the ferries. pave paradise and put up a parking lot is the usamerican mentality, so tourists need to keep expanding their geography because they have to leave behind all the places they have ruined with their mighty dollars. la paz needs ecotourism and instead has a gary player golf course.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming.

Take a guess, what percentage of the peninsula's economy is based upon Americans walking and driving across the border?

What do you guys think?

I was talking only about the population that depends (or has depended) on tourist dollars... shops, campos, restaurants, sport fishing, Pemex stations, etc.. It is so easy to not interfere with business and prosperity, but government sometimes can't help itself.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  
interesting thoughts, as well, sir. although the literally hundreds of fishermen whose livelihood was stolen by the resorts along the cabo gold coast that have a legal right to restrict access to the pacific but a moral obligation not to interfere with local commerce might disagree about what is "fair". as would all of my adopted mexican family who are three generations in la paz, and all of my paceno friends whose hearts are broken by the incredible ugliness and arrogance of the developments on the hillsides between downtown and the ferries. pave paradise and put up a parking lot is the usamerican mentality, so tourists need to keep expanding their geography because they have to leave behind all the places they have ruined with their mighty dollars. la paz needs ecotourism and instead has a gary player golf course.

Cabo is a different case than La Paz. Cabo was built by Mexico to improve its economy after the model of Acapulco whose greatest resource is the beach front. There are over 1 million visitors a year to Cabo about 35% are domestic Mexicans. I don't particularly like it but it is a resource for income of nearly 1 billion dollars annually and is one of the highest standards of living for Mexico. People enjoy living and working there.

Eco tourism has grown tremendously in La Paz based on the support for the model. Now there are many many pangas taking divers snorkeling every day where there were few before. More than 20-30 leave our beach daily. And there is still excellent fishing as well. There are over 100,000 visitors annually to La Paz and a majority are domestic Mexicans.

It seems what you are driving at is that the economic models created by Mexico and the Mexican corporations are not beneficial to avg local Mexican workers and that the model is exploitive of the local resources and labor force who do not benefit? That is a systemic issue in Mexico not planned nor created or caused by USA visitors.

It is incorrect to blame USA visitors for the exploitation, in fact, likely, Mexico's geographic relationship to USA and its visitors is what is driving up the wages and standard of living and requirement to meet best (better) ecological practices for labor, fishing, recycling, and reduce waste.

Let's advocate for US/Mexico partnership between residents of the continent with respect for people and for best use of resources to reduce damage to the environment and encourage businesses to do the same with your expenditures. Point is get involved, show an example of a model that works and encourage it. For example, we are building 3 new parks in La Paz that will serve locals designed by local with a place to exercise and enjoy family time.

Here is a recent interview about a group from Guadalajara called Indentitarians advocating for partnership between North Americans to improve overall working and living conditions for all identities. http://www.redicecreations.com/radio3fourteen/2015/R314-1506...

[Edited on 6-30-2015 by gnukid]
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 12:55 PM

Hiked up the hill at San Ysidro today into Mexico, passport, sentri and passport cards in hand. Two ladies inside the area you pass through to be checked. Neither looked up. No questions asked. Driving? Quien sabe1
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 02:21 PM

With you on that, some here pat themselves on the back, thinking their 3 day camping trip to San Felipe, purchasing
nada in Baja, maybe 1 fish taco. Almost all of Mex tourism
is the fly down resorts, not someone tenting on a free beach
pretending to be contributing to the local Baja economy
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 06:40 PM

Most any government will encourage tourist travel within its country, even to go so far as placing some minor penalties on travel for their countrymen. Canadians visit Mexico a lot, about a million visits per year I once heard, from a country of only 34 million. About three years ago Mexico became disgusted with Canada when Canada placed a visa requirement on visits by Mexicans. We still have a special travel arrangement to their country, which equates with those for Americans.

Traveling internationally has long been done on the passport of your country. Now it is demanded by international air and sea travel between most jurisdictions. In recent years land travel in Europe - which for a time had the most stringent regulations - has evolved to become more open at border crossings. About the same time the USA instituted its passport regulations we use today. As Canadians, to travel to and through America, we need a passport. Even so, as a traveler within America we are told we must carry it with us at all times. Even if traveling with a Nexis pass card and by car, everyone in the car must have this card in order to make use of it to the fullest while crossing into USA.

As a person who goes to considerable lengths to protect my passport, where it mostly lies in a bank's safety deposit box, having to carry it through land border crossings seemed like a problem but in retrospect once you have obtained one (and it's good that Canada's can now, finally, be valid for 10 years instead of just five) it is not a big deal to keep track of it.

It is self-evident that once the U.S. government instituted its border priorities, Canada and Mexico soon began to use similar regulations. Meanwhile in Europe many people on international trips are able to sometimes leave their passports at home.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rayfornario  
The official at the pedestrian crossing told them that starting next month, they will need to show it or be turned back into the United States.
Has anyone else heard about this????:?::?::?::?::?:

Walked across this AM. Same as always, no questions, no ID required. But I imagine soon Mexico will do away with its open border. Too many criminals from the US just walking/driving in. Heck those prison escapees from the NY prison had plans to go there, all the way from northern NY! Donald Trump may even try. They certainly don't want that.

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by SFandH]
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 07:05 AM

I believe the check for passports will be only at the pedestrian lane.
The crossing right now is very inefficient due to the layout. If they do start checking for passports consistently, having the new crossing at Virginia street will help. I heard it would be in November but work id proceeding slowly on it. It will also be another POE into the U.S as well as Mexico.

Even a bad day in Baja is better then a good day somewhere else!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 07:14 AM

The crossing right now is very inefficient due to the layout. If they do start checking for passports consistently, having the new crossing at Virginia street will help. I heard it would be in November but work id proceeding slowly on it. It will also be another POE into the U.S as well as Mexico.

Virginia street? Where's that? Is this in addition to the current pedestrian crossing?

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by SFandH]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 07:41 AM

Virginia street? Where's that? Is this in addition to the current pedestrian crossing?

Found the info. New pedestrian crossing on the west side in addition to the current east side crossing. This is good for us border walkers.

link to pdf file

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 09:30 AM

For a while, there has been a fmm of sorts, strictly for entering Baja by boat for fishing, the Coronado Isles, up to 12 from shore,
don't know how far so. this is in effect, maybe Ensenada. Each
time one fishes in Mex waters, private boat or sportfishing
landing one must get this Marine fmm, good for one entry,
if going 2 days later must get another. Available online, recently
it requires a passport/ passcard to get this permit. Sounds very
much like the PROPOSED fee for peds. Wouldn't be the first time
Mex shoots itself on the foot
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 07:59 PM

It is by the outlet centers by the big Mexican flag, and should be open soon. They are in the process of constructing it right now:biggrin:and it can't come soon enough. The one by the Trolley tracks is a very inefficient way to get to people into the country.

rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 08:01 PM

They had this in the plans for years. their will be a pedestrian crosswalk to get to it. It will be both entry and exit!

bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 10:04 AM

I have friends driving via san ysidro in august, and the two teenagers have driver licenses but no passports. they will be fine coming in, but does anyone know if passports are required to re-enter, or just what people usually show?

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.