BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Weird & historic weather: record rainfall, snow in Hawaii & sierras, hurricanes in Baja... add: volcano eruption
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Bajaboy- rather than wondering if weather is getting more or less "predictable" many people are wondering if weather is getting more erratic and/or extreme.

Recent local examples include highest recorded sea surface temperatures in the eastern Pacific, yet snow in the Sierras in July. Those are pretty radical extremes for the summer months.

Those extreme variations over short periods of time are what create concern. They add to the unpredictability of forecasting, and also indicate some elements of climate change that have been studied and recorded by researchers.

Here's a discussion of this observation:

"Just this week, a new article appeared in the journal Nature that provides more evidence of a connection between extreme weather and global warming. This falls on the heels of last week’s article which made a similar connection. So, what is new with the second paper? A lot.

"Extreme weather can be exacerbated by global warming either because the currents of atmosphere and oceans change, or it can be exacerbated through thermodynamics (the interaction of heat, energy, moisture, etc.). Last week’s study dealt with just the thermodynamics. This week’s study presents a method to deal with both.

"The authors, Daniel Horton, Noah Diffenbaugh and colleagues used a new technique to tease apart the complex influences of warming on changes to atmospheric circulation. Dr. Horton told me,

"Our study focuses on the need to understand the underlying physical causes of extreme weather events, and to systematically test whether the probability of those underlying conditions has changed in recent decades. Events that are so extreme that they fall outside of our historical experience often result from a suite of complex interacting factors. To better understand these factors we’ve developed a method that allows us to partition the climate influences."

For the complete report go to https://www.skepticalscience.com/more-evidence-gw-intensifyi...

Hope this is helpful.

I stand by my statement. Weather in California used to be very predictable depending on where one lived. Over the past 10 years or so, things have gotten less predictable.

With that, we've also had some extreme weather but as David said, weather can be extreme. I suspect this year Southern California and Baja/Sur will see extreme rain. I just spent a good part of my month in Bahia Asuncion replacing roofing, weather proofing, etc.

The science is there to support man made climate change regardless of what someone on Nomads tries to suggest.

Mas, I can say that we are making changes in our lives and trying to educate our next generation with regards to man's impact on Mother Earth. I guess the alternative would be so simple:light:;D

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 08:50 PM

If you are always looking behind you, you will never know where you are going.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 08:52 PM

Can you imagine trying to drive while always looking in the review mirror?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 07:47 AM

So- forget considering history: how about making history?

"An inch of rain was collected at Lindbergh Field, the National Weather Service said, which made Saturday the wettest July day in the region’s history and set a record for the wettest July ever."

The thunder claps that woke me yesterday were part of a very unstable storm cell and included lightning strikes that knocked out power to almost 4000 people in my neighborhood. The noise rattled windows and set off car alarms.

Weird, wet and wild weather, and the El Niño hasn't even "officially" begun!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
So- forget considering history: how about making history?...

...The thunder claps that woke me yesterday were part of a very unstable storm cell and included lightning strikes that knocked out power to almost 4000 people in my neighborhood. The noise rattled windows and set off car alarms.

Weird, wet and wild weather, and the El Niño hasn't even "officially" begun!

Yesterday noon right before our team's soccer match at 4S Ranch in Rancho Bernardo in San Diego, the tournament was canceled for the day due to the fact that lightning struck the field where my son's team was to play a match, my two sons explained told me how the earth shook, the unbelievable thunder and intense blue light that took place... it was scary and many children were crying and very surprised of what just had happened...

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 07:21 PM
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Pacific...

Hawaii Just Got Hit By A July Snow Storm (Seriously) http://t.co/TW4pnbRZ4T via @HuffPost #extremeweather http://t.co/Z6HwEHw9ce

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 07:52 PM

Not surprising, as the Big Island is just under 14,000 feet above sea level, and where it originated on the ocean floor is over 33,000 FEET. Now, that's a beeeeg hill!

SKI HAWAII !!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 09:40 PM

In addition to snow- also record rain hitting the islands.

"Rains Wednesday set records on Kauai and Maui. The rainfall total of .34 inches at Lihue Airport broke a record for the date of .21 inches set in 2001. Kahului Airport's .34 inches broke the old record of .25 set in 1958."

(FWIW, 1958 was an El Niño year)

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Not surprising, as the Big Island is just under 14,000 feet above sea level, and where it originated on the ocean floor is over 33,000 FEET. Now, that's a beeeeg hill!

SKI HAWAII !!

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaDanD  
where is shell beach anyway

By Punta Chivato, NE of Mulege.

Damn, I always thought it was way North of there. I just drove right by there on my boat.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 10:49 PM

Shell Island...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 06:22 PM

It's a record breaking year. In today's news....

WASHINGTON (AP) — Earth dialed the heat up in June, smashing warm temperature records for both the month and the first half of the year.

Off-the-charts heat is "getting to be a monthly thing," said Jessica Blunden, a climate scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. June was the fourth month of 2015 that set a record, she said.

"There is almost no way that 2015 isn't going to be the warmest on record," she added.

NOAA calculated that the world's average temperature in June hit 61.48 degrees Fahrenheit (16.33 Celsius), breaking the old record set last year by 0.22 degrees (.12 degrees Celsius). Usually temperature records are broken by one or two one-hundredths of a degree, not nearly a quarter of a degree, Blunden said.

And the picture is even more dramatic when the half-year is considered...

---

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 07:58 AM

ohhhh goat, the weather's always changing. always has, always will.
I know this 'cause I like to selectively believe some things the scientists say :rolleyes::rolleyes: :fire:

(we simply took a wrong turn a couple hundred yrs ago.
ni modo)

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.