A bunch of responses were removed.

surfhat isn't a troll- their profile shows they have been a
forum member here for 12 years.

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by surabi]
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2024 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  

...someone mentioned that Mexico is a rabies safe country and therefore not applicable. My read of the regs isn't the same. What I seemed to understand is ALL dogs must have the chip that satisfies the international requirements. And the dogs must have the rabies docs and international travel papers. Is that what you see?

This might be a more helpful link than the one that started this thread:
https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-...

CDC info found via this link states that all dogs must have an ISO compatible microchip and that it be implanted prior to rabies vaccination.

After the 'all dogs' section on this webpage, you will need to identify the situation specific category for your dog, and then determine how best to meet those specific requirements.

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by cupcake]
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2024 at 12:58 PM

Hey Stillinbaja! Outstanding response! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm going north for my bro's wedding August 10 so this is an issue for me. One dog chipped 12 years ago. One no chip. Do you know if chips from 12 years ago even include the rabies information the CDC is looking for? Actually that is a stupid question because obviously they wouldn't include any data other than what was entered in the database at that time. Thank you so much and I look forward to your updates about this issue.

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]

Any rabies vaccination your dog received 12 years ago will no longer represent a current protection against rabies. The dog would need to have received booster rabies injections since the chip was implanted. It is possible to have your dog's medical records (vaccinations, etc.) be made accessible via the microchip, and this information is updatable (depending on the microchip and service).

https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/pet-owners/petcare/micr...

https://www.thewelldogplace.com/blog/why-does-my-dog-need-a-...

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2024 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  
from the SD Reader......
Due to Mexico’s sweeping rabies campaign and free vaccination program, they have been officially rabies-free since 2019, and the last two cases of dog-to-human transfer occurred in 2006.

I appreciate your intelligent response to this thread. Please take my following obervations and posted information in the good nature it is intended...

Mexico was declared free of dog-to-human rabies transmission at a given moment in time, 2019, by the WHO (World Health Organization).

The WHO citation for Mexico does not mean that dog-to-human rabies transmssion is impossible in Mexico. It also does not mean that every dog in Mexico has been vaccinated against rabies. What it means is Mexico has done such a good job with dog vaccination AND post dog bite treatment that Mexico has gone many years without a confirmed dog-to-human rabies transmission. As I posted previously, this can change over time.

I don't know what the outcome has been of this January 2023 reported event (excerpt below link):
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/public-health-authorities-i...
"Over the last two months, health authorities have confirmed three rabies cases in humans and are closely monitoring 13 other possible cases, the most recent of which involves nine people who came in contact with an infected dog in Sonora...If one of the nine cases is confirmed, it will be the first time a human in Mexico has contracted rabies from a dog since 2005...It is unclear if recent cases will impact Mexico’s low-risk status."

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2024 at 02:19 PM

¨Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico.¨
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/mexi...

The above linked information is current on the CDC website (13 March 2024). I emailed the CDC to verify this. Does it stand to reason that the fact rabid dogs are still being found in Mexico, means a dog-to-human rabies transmission is still possible? It makes sense to me. It also makes sense to the CDC, as their response to my inquiry proves:

Personal commumication to me from the CDC, specifically regarding Mexico:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The WHO has declared Mexico free from human rabies transmitted by dogs. However, some wild animals are reported to carry rabies virus in Mexico. Hence, the occurrence of rabies in dogs due to wild animal bites is still possible. The local/state health department or primary health care provider should be contacted for a complete risk assessment and vaccination recommendation.

Generally, in cases of a dog bite, the decision to start post-exposure rabies vaccination will mainly be based on health and vaccination. In case of exposure to a healthy domesticated animal that is available for 10-day observation, persons should not begin vaccination unless the animal develops clinical signs of rabies. However, in case the dog is not available for quarantine or if the dog is sick, immediate vaccination will be required."

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by cupcake]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2024 at 04:24 AM

The "ISO compatible microchip" raises the question of older chips. As I stated, one of my dogs has a chip that was placed 12 years ago. Does anyone know if older chips are compatible with this standard? Thanks. I'm hopeful the veterinarian community can convince the CDC and Homeland Security that they created a cluster and agree to delay this or do some sort of soft enforcement initially.

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-15-2024 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  

The above linked information is current on the CDC website (13 March 2024). I emailed the CDC to verify this. Does it stand to reason that the fact rabid dogs are still being found in Mexico, means a dog-to-human rabies transmission is still possible? It makes sense to me. It also makes sense to the CDC, as their response to my inquiry proves:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The WHO has declared Mexico free from human rabies transmitted by dogs. However, some wild animals are reported to carry rabies virus in Mexico. Hence, the occurrence of rabies in dogs due to wild animal bites is still possible. The local/state health department or primary health care provider should be contacted for a complete risk assessment and vaccination recommendation.

The quote you led with seems to be completely at odds with the answer you got, which only says that it is possible for dogs in Mexico to contract rabies from a wild animal (which is true anywhere), but gives
zero confirmation that any "rabid dogs" in Mexico have actually been found, let alone "commonly".

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by surabi]
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2024 at 04:59 PM

The "ISO compatible microchip" raises the question of older chips. As I stated, one of my dogs has a chip that was placed 12 years ago. Does anyone know if older chips are compatible with this standard? Thanks. I'm hopeful the veterinarian community can convince the CDC and Homeland Security that they created a cluster and agree to delay this or do some sort of soft enforcement initially.

The microchip part of this thread I have no personal experience with. I found what looks to me like a worthwhile website, so I am passing along the URL here, with excerpt below.
https://www.foundanimals.org/second-microchips-re-chip-pet/
"Remember, just knowing the chip company is not enough to tell whether your existing chip is compliant. Look to length – if the microchip number is less than 15 digits, the microchip is not ISO standard, so go ahead and re-chip away."

I agree, this new regulation looks complicated and convoluted enough that a period of acclimation for all involved would be good, both the authorities trying to effect it and those trying to comply.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by cupcake]
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2024 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

The quote you led with seems to be completely at odds with the answer you got, which only says that it is possible for dogs in Mexico to contract rabies from a wild animal (which is true anywhere), but gives
zero confirmation that any "rabid dogs" in Mexico have actually been found, let alone "commonly".

[Edited on 5-15-2024 by surabi]

I do not see any conflict in the information. The CDC states very clearly and plainly on their website that I linked: "Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico." This is why, in their personal communication to me, they give the advice to either monitor the biting dog for 10 days, or if this is not possible, start post exposure prophylaxis immediately.

Statistics on numbers of confirmed dog rabies in Mexico is not easy to come by. This linked article, published September 2021, is interesting. I believe it shows the continuing importance of post-exposure treatment. Excerpt below link:
https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2021/09/yucatan-has-not-regi...
"He warned that there are many dogs that roam the streets throughout the State, not counting the animals that have “a semi-calf life”, whose irresponsible owners do not bother to vaccinate them...He warned owners that a dog should be suspected of having rabies when it bites for no reason, as well as when it shows changes in its habitual behavior, as well as not recognizing its master, and refusing to eat or hide...In Yucatán, a total of 1,677 dog attacks have been registered as vaccinated against rabies this year, which shows an increase of 10.8 percent compared to the previous year, when the sum was 1,514."

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-15-2024 at 06:11 PM

For sure odd behaviors in dogs or biting for no apparent reason should be cause for vigilance as far a rabies is concerned, but if there are no statistics for rabid dogs in Mexico, it's rather weird and disingenous for them to state that "Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico".

It just doesn't make sense that rabid dogs would be common in Mexico, yet the last known case of dog-human transfer was in 2006. You'd think if many dogs had rabies, someone would have been bitten by one in the last 18 years.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by surabi]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 06:34 AM

And off we go again on another tangent. If you want to discuss rabies in dogs please start your own thread. This one is about the new requirements to bring your dog across the border. Thanks.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 06:37 AM

The microchip part of this thread I have no personal experience with. I found what looks to me like a worthwhile website, so I am passing along the URL here, with excerpt below.
https://www.foundanimals.org/second-microchips-re-chip-pet/
"Remember, just knowing the chip company is not enough to tell whether your existing chip is compliant. Look to length – if the microchip number is less than 15 digits, the microchip is not ISO standard, so go ahead and re-chip away."

I agree, this new regulation looks complicated and convoluted enough that a period of acclimation for all involved would be good, both the authorities trying to effect it and those trying to comply.

Another great response! That is a great website. Thank you. So my dog's chip is OA12733869, which is less than 15 digits, which is not ISO compliant. Boy...we really need more guidance on this.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 07:06 AM

That was a great link! My dog lost both the rabies tag and the microchip tag somewhere in the brush, so in March I went to my veterinarian and got a signed print out of both numbers.

They dd this for free, and I am pleased to see that the chip (over nine years old) is fifteen digits.

They pulled the information from my dog's records, so I think I will make another trip over there to have them re-scan her to see if it is still in place and functioning.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 02:16 PM

For sure odd behaviors in dogs or biting for no apparent reason should be cause for vigilance as far a rabies is concerned, but if there are no statistics for rabid dogs in Mexico, it's rather weird and disingenous for them to state that "Rabid dogs are commonly found in Mexico".

It just doesn't make sense that rabid dogs would be common in Mexico, yet the last known case of dog-human transfer was in 2006. You'd think if many dogs had rabies, someone would have been bitten by one in the last 18 years.

[Edited on 5-16-2024 by surabi]

I moved this quote of your post and my response to a new thread on the Baja Health & Wellness forum:

Dog to Human Rabies Transmission Risk
https://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=100067#pid12...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2024 at 06:59 PM

My wife was walking along in Eldorado south -Solar- and a dog came out from a home and bit her on the leg. No provocation just a dog intent on attacking anyone coming nearby.
Called security who called the local cop. I demanded charges against the owner. It did not matter, nothing happened. Dog owner did not have any papers for the dog.
Wife went to the EDR clinic and got treated for a serious infection. The wound did not get better.
Drove to Yuma ER and found out the meds from the clinic were correct but she had a reaction to the meds. New meds solve the issue and she got better. Rabies not found.
Dog owners that do not use dog restraints are bad people.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-17-2024 at 01:13 AM

That sounds like an awful ordeal your wife went through.

But not all dogs bite and need to be restrained. I'd venture a guess that the majority of dogs kept as pets have never bitten anyone nor ever will.

I'm sure most dogs would bite if seriously provoked in some way, it's their defense mechanism. But most pet dogs don't just run out and bite someone who's walking by. If they are aggressive like that, of course they should be restrained or kept locked in a yard they can't get out of.

Unfortunately, the kind of dog owners who seem to get some kind of ego boost from having dogs which tend to be vicious also tend to be the most irresponsible dog owners. If people whose dogs ripped some kid's face off were charged and did jail time instead of simply having the dog put down and ordered not to own a dog again, people might think twice about getting pit bulls and similar breeds that are responsible for something like 90% of dog attacks and deaths.

[Edited on 5-17-2024 by surabi]
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2024 at 05:46 PM

I once was flying from Vancouver to Mexico, with a plane change in the US, so had to go through US customs at the Vancouver airport. I had an apple with me, which was part of what I was going to eat for breakfast while waiting for the plane to board. They told me I had to throw the apple in the garbage. I said I was planning on eating it in 5 minutes in the boarding area, not importing it to the US, and that I would eat it right then and there if necessary. She made me throw it in the garbage can. So ridiculous and a total waste of food, just to be an officious jerk.

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by surabi]

I once dropped off my wife at the Seattle airport for a return flight to La Paz. She was carrying two large jars of Skippy's peanut butter, both brand new and sealed. An agent told her she couldn't take them with her on the plane, so she called me (I was in the parking garage by that time) so I could return and pick them up. When I arrived at the screening gate, nobody knew anything about the peanut butter.

[Edited on 5-25-2024 by Bajatripper]

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-31-2024 at 07:41 AM

Detailed instructions from CDC on how to import dogs to usa, or travel across border with american dogs.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2024 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Detailed instructions from CDC on how to import dogs to usa, or travel across border with american dogs.

This is from the section that describes "Requirements for all dogs"

"Isolation of the dog, veterinary examination, and additional testing, at the importer’s expense, may be required to determine if the dog has a contagious disease and prevent spread if the dog does not appear healthy upon arrival."

Emphasis added.

So, CBP agents manning the booths are tasked to determine whether or not the dog appears healthy.

What idiot came up with that rule? Does a dog with a bandaged leg because of a break or cut "appear healthy?"

What about old dawgs, special critters that they are, that are asleep?

I bet the CPB agents dislike these new rules. They have their hands full looking for drug and other contraband traffickers and illegal migrants. Now, they also have to judge canine health with a quick look.

[Edited on 5-31-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 11:08 AM

Additional guidance. Fortunately, they decided to include a transition period.

Scan down and you will see this: I travel frequently to Canada or Mexico. What are the requirements to return to the U.S. with my dog?
CDC’s importation requirements apply to all dogs, including dogs that leave the country for short trips, such as to visit family or friends, or to receive veterinary care. Both Canada and Mexico are rabies-free countries. People bringing their dogs to the U.S. from these countries have many options to meet CDC’s requirements. Please see our website for the list of requirements for dogs that travel frequently between Canada, Mexico, and the U.S.

Click the website link noted above.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.