Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Helping Storm Victims
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:06 PM
I've updated my website on a very prominent link for dos Angeles project.

Here's the direct link:

http://bajabigfish.com/dosangeles.html

and the link from one of the prominent pages of my website:

http://bajabigfish.com/index.html

I sure hope this helps!

and sorry it took me over 24 hours. Imagine a three year old screaming in one ear and a six year old in the other. also my laptop crashes about three times an hour since I reconnected the direcway aftretr the storm!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Doug, the rotary in Santa Rosalia has stepped up to the plate and perhaps they would be the most logical entity to set up and disburse monies. The phone numbers are on previous posts
Where? All I can find is this email address as a contact:

julietabaja (at) hotmail.com

Rotary may be my best bet - as Lori doesn't have a legal entity setup - and this company (a local market) would not likely get involved unless there's some accountable entity they would participate through.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:28 PM

Julieta is helping the Rotary Club of Santa Rosalia handle and track donations made to the Rotary Club peso account and directly to Julieta's dollar account. I'm afraid I do not have contact for a person in the Rotary club, but an email to Julieta would likely get the info to you in a hurry. Additionally, there has been some contact between the Sta Rosaolia Rotary and Tahoe - but you can also try emailing Susan Glasson at

sglasson at charter dot net

they might be a good org for a larger donor to look at.
PM me if I can be of assistance in trying to contact these folks directly.

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by submarine_dbk]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:40 PM

I posted a web page for Dos Angeles and hope that it helps in generating dontations and gets the word out. I also modified the titlebar and meta tags to include specific key words so the folks using search engines that will never see this site or my site will be able to find it soon.

Hope it helps

http://bajabigfish.com/dosangeles.html

linked from here http://bajabigfish.com
and here
http://bajabigfish.com/johnlto.html

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 03:01 PM

Wednesday 2:30pm Update

Thank you all for the incredibly kind messages of support .. and thank you for the generous donations thus far.

At 6pm this evening the Padrino from the church in CSL will be in our office with word from the Padrinos of several area churches with updates on what specifically is needed and in which pueblo/pueblito. We will continue to get our 4x4 trucks out to the East Cape area filled as quickly as we can with items purchased locally.

On Monday several boxes and totes will be shipped to Mulege via our afore mentioned BajaPak service.

WE really could use more VEHICLES to assist in getting supplies across the border and down to Mulege. If any Nomad Amigo Angels are going to head south and can take boxes with them please contact us via email to discuss coordination tommyandlori"at"cabomagic.com and please put RELIEF PROJECT in the subject line.

Tonite we will find out what permissos we can get so that our relief supplies coming across the border will not be required to see the aduana.

For those of you sending donations by check to Wells Fargo bank please send us your email address so we can advise you when your check has been received. Please remember to put HURRICANE RELIEF PROJECT on the memo section of your check.

Any ideas anyone of you have please forward them on .. they are all welcome!

There can never be too many heroes or angels involved in this ..

Lindsay your work with the children is applauded! Yes Sandra can contact us.
Pam you have your hands full and being a mom is being an angel 24/7/365 You are on the team!

If anyone wants me to specifically identify them/their contribution on these postings tell me and I will do so otherwise we only send out an email upon receipt of your donation.

Ding Ding Ding ? ?It?s a Wonderful Life?

Lori & Linda
DOS ANGELES

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by CaboMagic]
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 03:10 PM

FYI- Here is another place for donations:
http://www.icf-xchange.org/graphics/plug?p=campaign_display&...
International Community Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)3, non-profit that has been in this line of work for a while. Their Disaster Relief fund was empty, and they have temporarily designated it for Hurricane John relief, to be heavily concentrated in the Mulege/Santa Rosalia area. ICF is a pass-through organization that enables other bona-fide non-profits with demonstrated ability to perform, along with occasional pilot projects when appropriate. Most of their efforts are in or near Baja, as they are HQ'd in San Diego.

The current plans, subject to improvement as opportunity develops, are to
1) purchase supplies in TJ/Ensenda at Costco and other cost effective suppliers. Manhattan Beach Sister City Org. has taken the lead for organizing the heavy lifting (see www.mhsistercity.org for their info). Then
2) truck by commercial carrier if possible thru donation, discount or cost effectiveness, and/or volunteer caravans from northern Baja.
3) If border crossing issues are resolved by the consulate, cross-border shipments will also be managed as available.

For those who have a foundation requiring such, or are otherwise only inclined to donate through established 501(c)3 non-profit conduits, this is a well established outfit with a lot of projects under its belt. They ask the questions like where, and through whom will distribution take place (initial aim is to go through local Rotary clubs, and it may be that Santa Rosalia's club is less up to their pits in mud than Mulegeno Rotarians, and more poised to do a good job in Mulege as well as SR as need exists), which will be monitored as deliveries progress to assure effectiveness.

As stated above, various efforts are all to be applauded, all have their place, and all are certain to be underappreciated due to the sheer magnitude of the need. This is complementary, and not competition, and it is going to be practically impossible to exceed the need. Time to "Git 'er Done!'

I just checked & the fund is up to $2,200.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 03:30 PM
Dos Angeles Update Wednesday 2:30pm

Wednesday 2:30pm Update

Thank you all for the incredibly kind messages of support .. and thank you for the generous donations thus far.

At 6pm this evening the Padrino from the church in CSL will be in our office with word from the Padrinos of several area churches with updates on what specifically is needed and in which pueblo/pueblito. We will continue to get our 4x4 trucks out to the East Cape area filled as quickly as we can with items purchased locally.

On Monday several boxes and totes will be shipped to Mulege via our afore mentioned BajaPak service.

WE really could use more VEHICLES to assist in getting supplies across the border and down to Mulege. If any Nomad Amigo Angels are going to head south and can take boxes with them please contact us via email to discuss coordination tommyandlori"at"cabomagic.com and please put RELIEF PROJECT in the subject line.

Tonite we will find out what permissos we can get so that our relief supplies coming across the border will not be required to see the aduana.

For those of you sending donations by check to Wells Fargo bank please send us your email address so we can advise you when your check has been received. Please remember to put HURRICANE RELIEF PROJECT on the memo section of your check.

Any ideas anyone of you have please forward them on .. they are all welcome!

There can never be too many heroes or angels involved in this ..

Lindsay your work with the children is applauded! Yes Sandra can contact us.
Pam you have your hands full and being a mom is being an angel 24/7/365 You are on the team!

If anyone wants me to specifically identify them/their contribution on these postings tell me and I will do so otherwise we only send out an email upon receipt of your donation.

Ding Ding Ding ? ?It?s a Wonderful Life?

Lori & Linda
DOS ANGELES
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 9-6-2006 at 04:21 PM
more from BBP action and response

"Departing for Mulege, Wal-Mart donating. - 9/5/2006

The Red Cross is still determining where we should be picking up supplies. BBP staffer departing Chandler this afternoon with 100 gallons of water and will report back this evening as to what I believe is really needed.

In addition we are working with the Wal-Mart Emergency Response people in Arkansas who indicate that they will be providing relief supplies to us in Hermosillo to take to Mulege.

I have a reporter / photographer from the Arizona Republic riding down with me and will be filing a report from Mexico.

And, a reporter from the San Diego Tribune needs a ride down in the morning. She is based in San Diego but indicates she could in Imperial, etc. if necessary. Please contact Claudia at BBP HQ if you can take her.

Claudia will be in the office the rest of the day as well as in the morning. In addition, I believe that I will have internet access in Mulege. Between the two of us, we will get the information back.

We have about 15 aircraft who indicate that they will be in Mexico tomorrow. For those that have volunteered, please be ready to depart in the morning as soon as you get our information.

Again, the need is water, canned food, flip-flop shoes, and cloths. Medical supplies are also needed."

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 04:37 PM

Doug, it sure looks as though the ICF exchange may be the answer that you were looking for. I read through the data sheets and all the information and it looks like it is truly a pass through orginization, meaning they do not keep anything for administration and they seem to be well connected to the Rotary orginizations of both Mulege and Santa Rosalia
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 05:19 PM

Lori,
For me it was faster and easier to just deposit some cash at the Wells Fargo- no problem. I doubt that IRS will officially recognize your efforts for deductions (In fact they could nail you for this as "income".), so a "receipt" is irrelevant to me. Sooner or later, the "big" charities will get involved. But, I don't care to support their admin. skim. I'd rather go person to person with someone I know I can trust and you fit that description.

Let me know if you get any crap from IRS, I'll help pay the fine.

"No good deed goes unpunished.":rolleyes:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Doug, it sure looks as though the ICF exchange may be the answer that you were looking for. I read through the data sheets and all the information and it looks like it is truly a pass through orginization, meaning they do not keep anything for administration and they seem to be well connected to the Rotary orginizations of both Mulege and Santa Rosalia
I concur.

Was reading through it myself as well.

Thanks,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

bajasuenos

Mood: longing always to be floating in Bahia de Concepcion

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:05 PM
rotary info from JULIETA

please see email we rec'd from Julieta yesterday 09/05/06. Also attached is the rotary Club bank acct info for donations.
this isn't my usual sign in. FYI. couldn't seem to connect as usual. God bless-we are going down early October and can bring anythign and everything in our big ol' Dodge truck. We are in Petaluma CA. take good care~Susan & Jim Ravina

Dear Friends....

As you probably already know Hurrican John has hit Baja, Mulege town was the one who got hurt the most, there is a HUGE NEED for water, food, clothes, medicine, etc. My self in coordination with the Rotary Club in Santa Rosalia are trying to raise some funds, we are asking you for you cooperaton to help this community they are with out water, electricity totally incomunicated, most the families (Mexican and Amercans) lost what they had...

I am enclosing the rotary club bank account informaton (pesos account) and my dollars account as well, any help you can provide the community of Mulege will be VERY VERY GREATFUL, unfortunatelly wire transfers are expensive 30 dlls on your side and 20 on the Mexican account, perhaps if you make groups and then just make one single transfer will be easier...

We are also helping the very poor comunities up in the mountains who had a lot of damage to and also some people got killed, they also have a big

Of course if you can't send money we will also appreciate supplies... I know some of you have airplanes and could bring goods from the US... I am trying to check which aristrip is available I wil keep you inform.

Beleive me Mulege is totally devasted and AND WE GOT TO HELP...

** If you are going to send money down, please inform me so I can keep track of the funds

Sincerely

Julieta Medina
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:18 PM

I posted the info for the ICF over at race-dezert.com on an exisisting thread. If doesent get any response I will continue to bump it or start a new thread. I am also emailing owner to see if he can put it up on the news section.

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
bajasuenos

Mood: longing always to be floating in Bahia de Concepcion

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:24 PM

ROTARIO CLUB INFO FROM JULIETA

please see email below from Julieta with Rotary Club info attachment.

Dear Friends....

As you probably already know Hurrican John has hit Baja, Mulege town was the one who got hurt the most, there is a HUGE NEED for water, food, clothes, medicine, etc. My self in coordination with the Rotary Club in Santa Rosalia are trying to raise some funds, we are asking you for you cooperaton to help this community they are with out water, electricity totally incomunicated, most the families (Mexican and Amercans) lost what they had...

I am enclosing the rotary club bank account informaton (pesos account) and my dollars account as well, any help you can provide the community of Mulege will be VERY VERY GREATFUL, unfortunatelly wire transfers are expensive 30 dlls on your side and 20 on the Mexican account, perhaps if you make groups and then just make one single transfer will be easier...

We are also helping the very poor comunities up in the mountains who had a lot of damage to and also some people got killed, they also have a big

Of course if you can't send money we will also appreciate supplies... I know some of you have airplanes and could bring goods from the US... I am trying to check which aristrip is available I wil keep you inform.

Beleive me Mulege is totally devasted and AND WE GOT TO HELP...

** If you are going to send money down, please inform me so I can keep track of the funds

Sincerely

Julieta Medina
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
...they do not keep anything for administration...
From what I read they do, but it still appeared to be the best option for me to present to the organization I was speaking with - and I've already presented that site now to them, and have been told they will be reviewing it.

Thanks,
--
Doug

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 11:26 PM
Pretty impressive list of global involvement

Quite a large institution.

http://www.icfdn.org/partners/partners.htm

I am surprised with their roots and involvement so deep in Baja we haven't seen them mentioned on this site.
I could be wrong but I tried to do a search in Nomads and received an error message not allowing a search. Is this a temporary thang?
It would seem that many would like to search for loved ones' names. Especially since this site has been a focal point for info out of Mulege.

Is there a fix for that anytime soon Doug?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 11:37 PM

I went to to the consulate in San Diego yesterday. I recieved this email from them today. I can't read the page (very well)that she said might have road info so maybe someone can look there for road info and translate it.
www.gbcs.gob.mx .
Also as someone else said in an earlier post, they are very busy and don't need to be told what to do, but if you have importasnt questions that they can answer they are there to help. Please be brief, direct and polite. :)

Ms. Johnson,

Thank you very much for your interest in helping the community of Muleje and the state of Baja California Sur after Hurricane John.

For donations, please contact Mr. Germ?n Rosales at the Office of DIF in Mexicali, BC. His phone numbers are (01152) (686) 567-0709, 567-4520 and 567-1339.

I do not know the conditions of the roads to Muleje, but may be at the official state website you can find more information: www.gbcs.gob.mx You may also contact the US Consulate in Tijuana at (664) 622-7400

Have a great day and good luck,

M?nica Adame

Consulado General de M?xico en San Diego

Cooperaci?n en Asuntos Fronterizos, Econ?micos y Pol?ticos/Cooperation on Border, Political and Economic Affairs

619-308-9966
barnes

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 11:41 PM
coming down

ordered today from east coast mosquito netting app 10 feet by 50 yards ---deet-in lotion form-and spray for clothes--the deet is supposed to last 20 hours--the spray for clothes is supposed to last for six weeks--VERY IMPORTANT --LEARNED THAT THE SUPER GOOD STUFF FOR THE SKIN-IS GREAT-BUT-IF THE MOSQUITO LANDS ON YOUR CLOTHES--JUST-BITES ANYWAY-THROUGH THE CLOTHES--SO YOU NEED BOTH

BOUGHT A LOT MORE FOR THE SKIN THAN FOR THE CLOTHES--OBVIOUSLY--

hEADING DOWN -=NO LATER THAN THE 22ND OF THIS MONTH-PROBABLY WON'T NEED ANYTHING I BOUTHT BY THE TIME I GET THERE--EVEN BOUGHT A UNIT THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF 3000 GALLONS OF WATER VIRAL AND BIOLOGICAL.\

WILL BRING IT DOWN TRY TO HELP AND LEAVE VERY QUICKLY--HAVE FLIGHT OUT OF LORETO ON 28TH.

WILL BRING MOTORHOME DOWN LATER AND STAY AND HELP REPAIR.
JOE BARNES AND BETTY
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:16 AM

Joe & Betty- Once services are restored there will be great need for organized construction (tho methods will no doubt hover around "Baja-crude" but hey, that's Baja).

If you or others know local Habitat for Humanity chapters, or contractor's exchange groups that do this sort of thing, they would make great partners. Properly segregated sand & gravel are the choke point in Mulege; nobody has a portable gravel screening plant, or any other kind so we get whatever happens to get shoveled out of the hillside. If anybody has a solution to that it'd be rocket science and a marvel in Mulege.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
barnes

[*] posted on 9-7-2006 at 12:39 AM
to engineer mike

Thanks for the response--I am presently 3 hours from seattle washington---

anyway--the problem in Mulege now is water--which I believe is coming on line-they will or have drinking water now if they can get there to get it.

almost all of my friends there are alive and ok--still looking or a few of them ( my friends there are)

We have about 3 to 4 foot of silt(mud) the water went over our two story home--destroyed everything in it-etc.

now as an engineer--please help-how do we get rid of it--in the house 3 to 4 foot outside--the whole area--how do you even start to clean up until then??\\

There is not the us. I can't even begin how to think about getting the dump trucks and backhoes- etc. neccessary to get rid of.
\
But thank goodness--everybody ( we think is alive and ok))

any suggestions?????
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.