Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13
Author: Subject: Loreto Bay - the June 2007 Version
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 02:00 PM

Suggested content: links to the water report, summarizing important statements as lead-in; link to Baja Life article; link to Gringo Gazette article; reproduce important community news relating to water restrictions. There's a ton of info on how large amounts of nitrogen affect saltwater algae blooms, deplete oxygen in freshwater estuaries, killing snails and other marine life. Link to other Mexican residential developments that offer more value and do less harm to the environment because there is an adequate water supply, smaller footprint, is less intrusive and more connected to the community. First-person interviews from Loreto citizens who have been affected. The LB atty "I lived with the workers" story, prefaced with 3 years of quoted "promises" about affordable housing and for the workers (which will not be sustainable). The LB Foundation 2006 annual report showing all the wasted money on US-based entities contrary to the stated purposes. All of the foregoing is simply factual information collected for perusal.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 02:25 PM

Loreto is a great place.:bounce: The development/project south of town?:?:Never been there. No desire to go there.
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-14-2007 at 03:03 PM
I smell litigation

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
I am certainly no fan of LB, but this is going way beyond what this web site is for. I am not going to report this to the moderators, but IMHO, it is time for some of you folks to sensor yourself. At least take this to U2U.

I wouldn't be surprised if LB attorneys haven't already contacted Doug.

Baja_Girl you could probably sell those domain names for big bucks.

Or trade 'em for a condo. ;D

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 03:48 PM

The BS that LB puts out is fraudulent and misleading. Freedom of the press works both ways.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 04:03 PM

I have been reminded more than once here that it is not free, and it is not the press. The powers at be will have to sort it out, but thankfully for once I will not be on the receiving end.:spingrin:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Baja_Girl
Nomad

Mood: suavidad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:59 PM

I have certainly been educated about this forum belonging to people - I didn't know that - but that was also the point of using a different domain - it does mean that there can be a place - completely outside of this forum - that can be used to express opinions - just like the LBC expresses their opinions about how wonderful they are.

Now, eventually, if this gets started, they won't like the fact that I purchased domain names that they could have purchased all these years, but let them b-tch andoffer me some money. I'm very familiar with law...I have attorney/friends who would LOVE to take on their challenge to my first amendment rights. It would be entertaining to them.

In the meantime, if anyone is really interested in doing something, for the sake of those who "own" this forum - please u2u me and let's do this elsewhere - I do respect the rights of others - I will provide contact info - and if you don't want to help...well, keep in mind that posting here really doesn't change a thing, does it?
Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 08:44 AM

...lets see what happens...I got the idea when I tried to buy tickets for the Ahmanson Theatre. I ended up on a website for a private ticket dealer...then I scrolled through and found that the first twenty or so websites that had Ahmanson tickets, theatre, products, etc. in the name...had no affiliation with the Ahmanson...so, if thats perfectly okay, then...who knows?
It might be fun to get a little publicity at last, its been so lonely as a single working mom, just trying to earn a little living, dive with a few fishies, trying to do good in the world.
xox
lisa marie
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 09:05 AM

"...associated with their established company."
But the site content would also be associated with their company. It would simply be additional, truthful information. No slander or libelous statements -- just the truth, a helpful interpretation of their gobbledygook, and other considerations outside what their publications suggest.
For instance, regarding their "Eco-Safe Pesticides and Fertilizers - We ensure that all pesticides and fertilizers are non-toxic to soil and marine life." However, they don't address higher nitrogen and phosphorous elements, and salt build-up on the golf courses, which will all undoubtedly enter the estuary and eventually into the Gulf (how could it not when the estuary will be running through the entire project). Factual information such as the following, introduce vital considerations that LB is silent on, and have proven to be critical environmental concerns which are now undergoing clean-up and remediation all over the United States after decades of ignoring the consequences. Just read about the Baltic Sea, and Chesapeake Bay yourself. In their omissions, LB, paints a false picture of "sustainability" and all-is-well. It is not. The warm waters of the gulf will be especially significant in the cycle.

"Eutrophication comes from a Greek word meaning nutrients. Highly eutrophic saltwater such as Eel Pond has too many nutrients to sustain a rich variety of plants and animals. A certain number of nutrients, primarily nitrogen, is needed to help plants grow in a pond, but an excess causes detrimental algal blooms. The algae then strips the water of oxygen needed for fish and shellfish. Some algae actually form wide, rug-like mats that suffocate microscopic crustaceans and worms on the muddy bottom.
The pond also gets much warmer than the harbor waters, increasing the growth of algae and decreasing the supply of oxygen.

"End courses have joined with the Environmental Protection Agency and other organizations to limit nitrogen fertilizer runoff into the Peconic Bay Estuary and its 340 miles of coastline. ... Tristan Gillespie, pollution prevention coordinator for EPA Region 2, said the estuary has undergone significant development pressure that many believe has led to spikes in brown tides and algae blooms that have had a negative impact on the shellfishing industry and the overall health of the estuary. The program targeted every sector that contributes nitrogen to the watershed, including farms, homes, commercial landscapers, marinas, sewage-treatment facilities and golf courses."

"The SeaDwarf Seashore Paspalum, a salt- and drought-tolerant grass used on the course, is an environmentally friendly variety developers say takes up to 75 percent less nitrogen for fertilization and up to 50 percent less water for irrigation than Bermudagrass. The developers also created a sanctuary for a nearly two-mile stretch of mangroves, the native Florida trees that are crucial to the area’s saltwater ecosystem. Hammock Bay’s draining systems are all designed to flow away from the mangroves. In addition, 100 percent of Hammock Bay’s plant life is native to Florida. “We are fine in normal rainfall seasons when occasional afternoon storms will flush out the soil profile,” Phelps said. “But if you go three months without rain, which we did in 2002, that salt can build up to toxic levels in a hurry.”

[At LB, however, no such rainfall levels; the plant life is only 1/3 native, thus requiring much more water; at what point in time will the LB mangroves be doing their filtration job? 15 years? 20 years?.]
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 11:38 AM

You probably don't want to use another company's name in a website address. It would be sort of like opening a coffee shop and calling it Starbucks, sort of. At the least you'd probably get a "lawyer letter" of some sort.

When you register domain names it is best select the anonymous registration option. Perhaps at a small extra charge. Otherwise the personal info you enter when registering is available to the public. If anonymous, a court order of some type is required for someone to get the info.

To get a new website to pop up first on a search is a complicated task. Google uses many methods for returning a search list but it's original and still fundamental method is based on citations. In other words a website that a lot of other websites link to gets a high ranking. You can also pay for special treatment.

I wonder how many websites link to bajanomad. Probably a lot if nothing more for the simple reason it's been around for about 10 years.

This is a good forum to disseminate information. I don't think it's a problem for the owner unless somehow what is writtem costs him money. Can't imagine that. He's not libel for what others write.

Blogs are the current trend for expressing opinions on the Internet. I'm foggy on this but I think search engines search and index them in a special way.

I'll start one up and play the editor role. The opinions expressed should be backed up with verifyable facts using hyperlinks to expert articles, research reports, etc.

The crucial issue is the fullfillment of the water demand using desalination plants. We're talking major machines that consume a lot of power, require daily supervision, and regular maintenance, and produce copious quantities of a nasty pollutant - the salt and other minerals that are removed.

Eventhough a fancy name "reverse osmosis" is used, they are essentailly filtration plants where the filters are so fine they have to pressurize the water on the incoming side to push it through the filter.

I'm guessing the cost of water will be 2 or 3 times what it is now and that filtration plant better not stop working.

Authentic Mexican (hardly) sustainable (with a whole lot of money)

Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:08 PM

thanks, Larry, that was awesome!

There is no way they would be able to ding me on the "bad faith" element: I'm not interested in selling to LBC, I'm not a competitor, I'm not interested in making money from the website, not a penny - in fact, I'm thinking of creating a charity and donating anything and everything to the Loreto Mission, I'm not preventing them from using their choosen website names "www.loretobay.xxx - which they choose - themselves...none of the "bad faith" factors apply to me...

remember, they have to prove "all elements" to shut me down - geez, I love being a lawyer.

lisa marie
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:13 PM

check this out

"At the Gaining Ground conference in Victoria last week, developer David Butterfield gave a stirring talk on his Loreto Bay project - a vacation spot in Baja California. He was rightfully proud of its commitment to sustainability, and also aware of its paradox: most people will fly there, many to their second homes. By any standard, this is a project available to only a minescule fraction of the world’s population, whose carbon footprint will be comparatively gigantic."

Beautiful!

http://pricetags.wordpress.com:80/2007/06/14/is-geen-just-th...

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:18 PM

BTW, that link is to a blog, you can add opinions there.

again

http://pricetags.wordpress.com:80/2007/06/14/is-geen-just-th...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Money buys talent. :)

--Larry

Money buys everything.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:26 PM

This Loreto Bay project is a good deal for the "more money than sense crowd".:) Is there a shuttle service to the shopping centers? Can we help you with your bags?:( Jeez!
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:27 PM

The passenger miles per gallon of an airliner is irrelevant.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 12:40 PM

If I lived in Loreto, I'd be painting my house and keeping the lawn mowed. I'd be mowing around the "For Sale" sign.

This sounds like just one of the beginnings of the end.

We all knew it could come to this.
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 01:25 PM

Lencho - Cryptology, eh? I'll let you explain yourself.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja_Girl
thanks, Larry, that was awesome!

There is no way they would be able to ding me on the "bad faith" element: I'm not interested in selling to LBC, I'm not a competitor, I'm not interested in making money from the website, not a penny - in fact, I'm thinking of creating a charity and donating anything and everything to the Loreto Mission, I'm not preventing them from using their choosen website names "www.loretobay.xxx - which they choose - themselves...none of the "bad faith" factors apply to me...

remember, they have to prove "all elements" to shut me down - geez, I love being a lawyer.

lisa marie

No, they would just have to "determine" that you are acting in bad faith, and reassign the domain to Loreto Bay. This is not a government agency, at the most you could then sue them in civil court.

http://www.keytlaw.com/urls/acpa.htm

Quote:

the defendant's intent to divert consumers from the mark owner's online location to a site accessible under the domain name that could harm the goodwill represented by the mark, either for commercial gain or with the intent to tarnish or disparage the mark, by creating a likelihood of confusion as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of the site;

Seems to me they would AT LEAST have an argument. One that I, for one, would support.

[Edited on 6-15-2007 by Roberto]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If I lived in Loreto, I'd be painting my house and keeping the lawn mowed. I'd be mowing around the "For Sale" sign.

This sounds like just one of the beginnings of the end.

We all knew it could come to this.

If you live in Loreto, youprobably shouldn't have a lawn to mow.:rolleyes:

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 04:14 PM

There are 126 active domain names with the phrase loretobay in them. Interesting, the entrepreneurs are on it.

http://domain-search.domaintools.com/?q=loreto+bay&bc=25...

No here's an enterprising soul, selling soap.

http://www.loretobaysoap.com/

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.