Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: San Ignacio Lagoon
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 09:38 AM

So Diane----------you support the "closures" on BLM by the ranchers, even tho they have no legal right to do this? What they are doing is establishing defacto wilderness areas (most BLM wilderness still allows grazing) and you say you support MORE wilderness areas. This is tunnel vision, to my way of thinking------somehow you object to the "closures" by the ranchers, but govt. closures are ok, and you support them in general.

Pretty confusing stuff to me.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:01 AM

"good roads (devils work)"???? Oh my David K....I wish many of you Nomads would POR FAVOR just for one minuto think about the poor local mexicanos who live in the remote villages who spend all their meagre income on tires and fixing their cars due to crappy washboard...I doubt even one of these locals would advocate the devil has something to do with improving the roads. I would love you to come and see the smiles of relief and hearty aplause when the government announces road paving into here. These villages NEED better roads to improve their standard of living...to reduce the costs of transportation....heck we don't even have a bus service linking us to the highway because of the bad road. The coops will be able to get their product to market more efficiently and the economy will improve much to the delight of all this God loving community. The coastal fish camps are ecstactic about the road improvements...the devil works in mysterious ways for sure...lbut I doubt has a hand in road improvements!

Now back to the lagoon issue and whales seeking out human companionship...well I hate to burst your bubbles but the whales in san ignacio are just killing time before they head north and got nothin better to do than hang out looking at tourists...BUT the problem is that these "friendly" whales are the first to die at the hands of hunters and often get run over by boaters who don't know what to do around a whale...it is a well known fact that human habituated animals are always the first to die at the hands of humans...so sure we love to pet whales but it's just not good for them and INMO should NOT be encouraged...if I had my way, I would make a law against touching whales...it's cool if they hang out around your boat...you can gaze into their eyes and marvel at their enourmous size and gentleness...but why in the heck do you have to TOUCH it?:?: I have seen a calf get run over and die because it's mom was too friendly...she swam up to the boat and the driver didn't see the calf...she's not friendly anymore and flipped the boat over and has smashed other boats too...there are tons of incidents you never hear about of aggressive whales, or angry whales that are just fed up with being chased around all day and woken up from their much needed naps after that super ;migration...I have been in these lagoon for over 15 years, before whale watching began and I can tell you from experience that it is VERY common for boat operators to chase whales around....all day every day during the season. get real folks. The best way to help whales is to eliminate whale watching from boats.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:24 AM

Good stuff, Shari, and a lot I did not know. You have a very good point.

Barry
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:31 AM

Re: Whale Watching

We've done it, it was fun, but it seemed to clash with values instilled in many years of living in wildlife intensive Montana. Approaching and petting wild animals. Hmmmm...

There seems to also be a belief that these "eco-tourism" activities do little or no harm. I doubt it. I would not be surprised if there are "incidents" as Shari relates, and that these become more common. And more visits by whale watchers will result in more development, more pollution, etc.

Re: San Ignacio Lagoon

The discussion has been primarily from the perspective of whales. If I remember correctly, Kira's Baja Catch has already written the lagoon off as being wiped out for fin fishing by netting and trawling. Fortunately, as fish populations have plummeted, we have a whale watching season to subsidize the boats to keep the pressure on the remnant fish population.:rolleyes:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 01:49 PM

I was just talking about this thread with another friend that has some interest in whales. He is of the same belief as Shari. He also said that during the whaling days that the gray whales were considered the most dangerous. So, now I need to listen more and may have to eat my "win win" statement. --- Caw!..Caw! uhm.. crow taste a lot like spotted owl. -Oh, and is "eco-tourism" an oxymarooon or what?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:02 PM

When the mother whale pushes her calf toward the tourists, she is probable telling it, "take a look these are the anamials, they are the one's that almost made us extinct, remember what they look like".
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:48 PM

805 Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!! :lol:
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What do want to protect the lagoon from?

Instead of browbeating a girl, if you're sincerely interested why don't you educate yourself?
You like to trumpet your 42-year history and vast well of Baja knowledge (cough), but most often you blather on like a dumb Okie awash in a sea of exclamation points and pee-poor grammar.

Before you weigh in on whale propogation dynamics pre- and post-saltworks at GN, or hold some earnest young woman's feet to the fire, you might want to raise your Baja IQ to at least the 7th grade level.
Maybe start with the Journal from the Ocean Bird (by a cat named Scammon), then wrap with Saving the Gray Whale (Dedina).

Until then (as with most topics on this board you feel compelled to bloviate on) do us a favor and STFU.

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by Slowmad]

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:54 PM

One year in Baja they ran out of gas and Santa Rosalia was the last diesel I could find so I found myself waiting in Guerro Negro, along with about 500 of my closest friends, for a delivery truck. A friend and I decided it would be fun to take the whale tour out of Mallarimo hotel and restaurant. They had enough business that they sent a station wagon with lots of gas cans up to El Rosario to get fuel. The next morning, the bus that was to take us to the Ojo Liebre was definately a sight to see. One of the first guys in line came out of a beat up old Volvo and sported a rastafarian dreadlock hairdo and a peculiar body odor that you knew would be a problem if he sat in the front of the boat. He had his banjo and flute which he was planning on playing for the whales.
The next person was a girl with pretty much the same hairdo and trailing three little children who were also dressed in tie dyed clothing, and pretty much had used the same deodorant as the first gentleman.
The next three or four were looked pretty normal and were probably attending pretty much for the same reason as my friend and I. (gas shortage). Following this group was two couples who were dressed to the hilt with manicured toenails and fingernails, Eddie Bauer designer Whale Watching Clothing, (had little whales on the pockets) and enough camera equipment hanging around their necks to photograph a National Geographic Special.
The final 4 were a group who said they were from Greenpeace and they played whale recordings and sang whale songs all the way to the lagoon. They seemed especially interested why the Panga was using a motor and was not rowing the boat so that we might have a better encounter and learn to love and bond with the whales.
So when we finally found one hapless whale you can imagine the commotion and goings on in the boat. Rastafarian Charlie started playing the banjo and flute, Tie Dye girl went into meditation while the kids started trying to get out of the boat to bond with the whales, the Greenpeace group started playing orca tapes and chanting, and the ladies with the cameras started complaining about a broken acrylic nail. And all I could think of was: God, if you are going to take me, take me now.
I decided I liked to see whales when I was out in my own boat, and I marvel at the beauty and grace of these magnificent animals, but if you are wondering why the whales come up to the boat and look, that day I had my answer to that question.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 04:02 PM

Jim, I have a friend who calls his boat, appropriately, "Ship of Fools". I think you were on his sister ship.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
The best way to help whales is to eliminate whale watching from boats.

Maybe, maybe not. I think (but don't know for sure) that gray whales have managed to regain population quite well since the beginning of the friendly whales eco-tourism. Yes, whale watching may not be perfect for the whales, but on the other hand the increased awareness due to whale watching probably helps the whales long term, as people get all warm and fuzzy for the whales and lend their support to conservation legislation. In order to make conservation legislation happen, you need to get the populace behing the effort -- and whale watching has definitely helped in many ways to round up troops to continue the fight against bad members of the IWC who continue their relentless efforts to resume whaling.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
One year in Baja they ran out of gas and Santa Rosalia was the last diesel I could find so I found myself waiting in Guerro Negro, along with about 500 of my closest friends, for a delivery truck. A friend and I decided it would be fun to take the whale tour out of Mallarimo hotel and restaurant. They had enough business that they sent a station wagon with lots of gas cans up to El Rosario to get fuel. The next morning, the bus that was to take us to the Ojo Liebre was definately a sight to see. One of the first guys in line came out of a beat up old Volvo and sported a rastafarian dreadlock hairdo and a peculiar body odor that you knew would be a problem if he sat in the front of the boat. He had his banjo and flute which he was planning on playing for the whales.
The next person was a girl with pretty much the same hairdo and trailing three little children who were also dressed in tie dyed clothing, and pretty much had used the same deodorant as the first gentleman.
The next three or four were looked pretty normal and were probably attending pretty much for the same reason as my friend and I. (gas shortage). Following this group was two couples who were dressed to the hilt with manicured toenails and fingernails, Eddie Bauer designer Whale Watching Clothing, (had little whales on the pockets) and enough camera equipment hanging around their necks to photograph a National Geographic Special.
The final 4 were a group who said they were from Greenpeace and they played whale recordings and sang whale songs all the way to the lagoon. They seemed especially interested why the Panga was using a motor and was not rowing the boat so that we might have a better encounter and learn to love and bond with the whales.
So when we finally found one hapless whale you can imagine the commotion and goings on in the boat. Rastafarian Charlie started playing the banjo and flute, Tie Dye girl went into meditation while the kids started trying to get out of the boat to bond with the whales, the Greenpeace group started playing orca tapes and chanting, and the ladies with the cameras started complaining about a broken acrylic nail. And all I could think of was: God, if you are going to take me, take me now.
I decided I liked to see whales when I was out in my own boat, and I marvel at the beauty and grace of these magnificent animals, but if you are wondering why the whales come up to the boat and look, that day I had my answer to that question.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

POST OF THE DAY, HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
So are you telling me you only go out with the whales because the whales want you to? Why are you not allowed within 100 yrds of whales in Hawaii? You watch, someone will get between a mother and her calf and get spanked. I've seen film of a women swimming with porpoises, who got a thrill ride down to about 60 ft when one grabbed her by the calf. These are wild anamials and should be treated as such. They come by where I live in the Santa Barbara channel, I won't even turn my boat any more, I just let them be.

I'm confused as to the question that you are asking, please explaine?

Mean people suck!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Quote:
So are you telling me you only go out with the whales because the whales want you to? Why are you not allowed within 100 yrds of whales in Hawaii? You watch, someone will get between a mother and her calf and get spanked. I've seen film of a women swimming with porpoises, who got a thrill ride down to about 60 ft when one grabbed her by the calf. These are wild anamials and should be treated as such. They come by where I live in the Santa Barbara channel, I won't even turn my boat any more, I just let them be.

I'm confused as to the question that you are asking, please explaine?

Mean people suck!
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 07:35 PM

Quote:

For educational porpoises only..........

It was a pilot whale (Globicephala sp.) which is in the dolphin family, not a porpoise. And you are correct in they are wild animals, big powerful animals and should be treated as such. This I know from personal experience.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 07:47 PM

This is truly the "Post of THE YEAR" This is the new Baja!! Just relax and enjoy it. Its all going south. ++C++
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Gawd that is a great story. Has to be the post of the year. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the belly laugh Jim.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 08:03 PM
Superb Performance

Go Woody :yes::yes:
Go Pescador :yes::yes:
Go DK :yes::yes:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 09:52 PM

Too funny...

A bunch of hippies are dictating how we can interact with nature!:lol::lol::lol:

Pescador... YOU 'DA MAN!
:spingrin::cool:
Gracias!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cardonhugger

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What do want to protect the lagoon from?

Instead of browbeating a girl, if you're sincerely interested why don't you educate yourself?
You like to trumpet your 42-year history and vast well of Baja knowledge (cough), but most often you blather on like a dumb Okie awash in a sea of exclamation points and pee-poor grammar.

Before you weigh in on whale propogation dynamics pre- and post-saltworks at GN, or hold some earnest young woman's feet to the fire, you might want to raise your Baja IQ to at least the 7th grade level.
Maybe start with the Journal from the Ocean Bird (by a cat named Scammon), then wrap with Saving the Gray Whale (Dedina).

Until then (as with most topics on this board you feel compelled to bloviate on) do us a favor and STFU.

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by Slowmad]

No.......HERE'S the post of the past FIVE years............

HANDS DOWN..................
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.