Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja slammed by CNN
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:25 PM

On the cruisers net in La Paz, they made an announcement today because of so many boats being burglarized, they seem to lay the blame on so many workers from the mainland here. And as far as the overall problem and solving from the bottom, you would need the Mexican people and they are hard to change. The government has had plan at least 20years to keep the highways, beaches, and generally the country clean. It is definitely better but still a long way to go. So change any change takes a long time.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:28 PM

Mr Bill. LO SIENTO!!! No wonder you are a gun nut.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
It is funny people find comfort in comparing, camping on a semi remote surf spot in Baja and going for Soul Food in South Central LA, when explaining that crime happens everywhere.

I wasn't comparing anything. I only told a story about people being in a place where they didn't belong. They weren't welcome. There was no comfort in telling it either. They were friends of mine.
Forgive me if I have ever compared the US to Mexico when it comes to crime. That has always bothered me because it sounds like justification for criminal acts.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
On the cruisers net in La Paz, they made an announcement today because of so many boats being burglarized, they seem to lay the blame on so many workers from the mainland here. And as far as the overall problem and solving from the bottom, you would need the Mexican people and they are hard to change. The government has had plan at least 20years to keep the highways, beaches, and generally the country clean. It is definitely better but still a long way to go. So change any change takes a long time.

The recent crime wave is caused largely by the Meth epidemic.

Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:40 PM

Hey Minnow......I will still go for gumbo in Watts and also will keep camping on the beachs in Baja..........no fear
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 12:49 PM

Fred, Me Too.

I guess until something happens, like my wife getting dragged out of the MoHo and gang rapped, most of us will not change our lifestyles.

I cannot believe all this crap being posted here. Like, honesty is an economic decision? The price of tourism is crime, and adding criminals? I know many good people rich and poor, on both sides of the border, who would not sell out their beliefs for ANY amount of money. Let alone, kill someone for an unknown booty? Jeeezus. Help us.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 01:01 PM

Not honesty, Tom. Dishonesty. Dishonesty is an economic decision.

Well, except for maybe rape. That's just a perversion probably aided by the meth.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:12 PM
Hooked on Relevance

Not relevant ? Au Contraire, Capitan Hook.

MY comment was Exactly relevant to the Minnow's relative risk assessment of South L.A. i.e.

"Wake up. Crime in Mexico has gone off the charts. The odds of being robbed anywhere in Baja are probably similar to those of being robbed in South Central LA."

My conclusion ? Actually, my fond wish is that MANY of those here would give the South L.A. Tourista Jaunt a try. Finish at Nickerson Gardens and (should you survive) let me know how you liked it.

AND watch that "Gun Nut" stuff. I am a (sort of) responsible Firearms "Enthusiast". Well, OK, VERY enthusiastic about LOTS of Firearms. One thing, though, based on my own experience in South L.A. and afterwards, Guns have gotten me out of a lot of jams and never gotten me into one. I'd be long ago dead (stop smiling at the thought) otherwise.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:20 PM

Quote:

This may well be the most accurate statement in this entire thread.

It has long been rumored that the stretch of coast in question (Camalu, Shipwrecks, Quatro Casas, Colonet, etc.) is replete with meth kitchens. I have no way to confirm any of the rumors, but the recent incidents certainly ring true of the distructive nature of that vile drug.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Not relevant ? Au Contraire, Capitan Hook.

MY comment was Exactly relevant to the Minnow's relative risk assessment of South L.A. i.e.

"Wake up. Crime in Mexico has gone off the charts. The odds of being robbed anywhere in Baja are probably similar to those of being robbed in South Central LA."

My conclusion ? Actually, my fond wish is that MANY of those here would give the South L.A. Tourista Jaunt a try. Finish at Nickerson Gardens and (should you survive) let me know how you liked it.

AND watch that "Gun Nut" stuff. I am a (sort of) responsible Firearms "Enthusiast". Well, OK, VERY enthusiastic about LOTS of Firearms. One thing, though, based on my own experience in South L.A. and afterwards, Guns have gotten me out of a lot of jams and never gotten me into one. I'd be long ago dead (stop smiling at the thought) otherwise.

Enjoyable post, Bill.

You are right. I misunderstood your point.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Quote:

It has long been rumored that the stretch of coast in question (Camalu, Shipwrecks, Quatro Casas, Colonet, etc.) is replete with meth kitchens. I have no way to confirm any of the rumors, but the recent incidents certainly ring true of the distructive nature of that vile drug.

I agree!

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

If the above is true then why wasn't crime such an issue in the past? Why has crime increased while the legal system has stayed the same? To my way of thinking it's because the temptation has gone up.

Pescador's analysis is one that's very common of conservatives. The idea is to get tough on crime to stop it. And if there is a problem you're not tough enough. Jesse's outlook and mine see it as an environment issue.

Here's an analogy:

It's not surprising that if you wave a piece of fresh red meat in front of a dog he will snatch at it.

A conservative will try to solve the problem by training the dog.

A liberal will do it by removing the meat.

Unfortunately we can't remove the meat in baja and go back to the way it used to be. So law enforcement needs to get it's act together. And that's why these threads tend to be more attractive to conservatives.

No, actually it goes above and beyond mere political persuasion, if everytime you go above the speed limit you get a ticket, pretty soon you quit speeding, but it you only get a ticket every 10th time or 100th time then you rarely, if ever change your behavior.

Now as for your anology, actually a conservative would not put meat out where the dog could see it and tease the dog, whereas most liberals would try to show the dog love and hope the dog would rather have love than meat. And when that fails, they would pass a law to make sure the dog had plenty of meat to eat so that he would not have to snatch it which frustrates the snatcher and snatchee. :?:
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 07:50 PM

I must be lagging in me english or gettin too old, what exactly is a WHUSP?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 07:51 PM

Check this out. Even though this site offends some people this is pretty good information.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

If the above is true then why wasn't crime such an issue in the past? Why has crime increased while the legal system has stayed the same? To my way of thinking it's because the temptation has gone up.

Pescador's analysis is one that's very common of conservatives. The idea is to get tough on crime to stop it. And if there is a problem you're not tough enough. Jesse's outlook and mine see it as an environment issue.

Here's an analogy:

It's not surprising that if you wave a piece of fresh red meat in front of a dog he will snatch at it.

A conservative will try to solve the problem by training the dog.

A liberal will do it by removing the meat.

Unfortunately we can't remove the meat in baja and go back to the way it used to be. So law enforcement needs to get it's act together. And that's why these threads tend to be more attractive to conservatives.

No, actually it goes above and beyond mere political persuasion, if everytime you go above the speed limit you get a ticket, pretty soon you quit speeding, but it you only get a ticket every 10th time or 100th time then you rarely, if ever change your behavior.

Now as for your anology, actually a conservative would not put meat out where the dog could see it and tease the dog, whereas most liberals would try to show the dog love and hope the dog would rather have love than meat. And when that fails, they would pass a law to make sure the dog had plenty of meat to eat so that he would not have to snatch it which frustrates the snatcher and snatchee. :?:

Whatever.

I don't think you took things in the spirit they were written. That's unfortunate. On to other things, I guess.
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 08:11 PM

3 minutes on CNN is not enough! That’s only a sound bite. It will take more than that to gather the tribes and have an impact on this lawlessness in Baja Norte.

The increase in acts of violence towards ostentatious foreign wealth in Baja is a fact. Drug trafficking and addictions are to blame but there are many other factors as well.

Baja was once a haven for many romantic pirates that would lay in ambush awaiting for the fat and loaded Spanish galleons of the China and Philippine trade. A different century, but these crimes today are being committed by the same kind of pirates.

That any of the law enforcement or military units or any other overt or covert heavy-handed responses, from either country, have not been implemented to entrap and capture these few rogue pirates makes me think that there are even deeper and much more sinister political and economical tensions between the two countries.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Quote:

I agree!

Meth trade and use is a symptom or side effect, not a cause.
Cause of crime generally is increasing urbanization without opportunity for people. You increase population without opportunity, and some people will fall into the easy path of crime. Crime and unemployment go hand and hand.
doradodan
Nomad

Mood: boracho

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
[Dennis,

No Tony, I don't. That's not what it's supposed to do. It does what it does best, promote Baja. It only tolerates idiots like me.

i dont know why

\"The time spent off the water, I\'m thinking of ways to get back in\"
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Meth trade and use is a symptom or side effect, not a cause.
Cause of crime generally is increasing urbanization without opportunity for people. You increase population without opportunity, and some people will fall into the easy path of crime. Crime and unemployment go hand and hand.

Not a cause? So the meth user that steals property only to sell it to get their next high is just experiencing a "symptom" of their addiction? Thank God... I actually thought they were commiting a crime... now I can rest assured that it's really just a side effect of their condition.

Rationalize all you want, you're only deluding yourself. Meth use and trade is not only a crime, it causes crime as well. That's a fact.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 03:40 AM
facil

Quote:
Originally posted by doradodan
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
[Dennis,

No Tony, I don't. That's not what it's supposed to do. It does what it does best, promote Baja. It only tolerates idiots like me.

i dont know why

simple. since no one sees him (he's attached to a computer screen it would appear!!), therefore no toleration necessary.
For cristo's sake man... step. away. from. the. mouse and go outside! GET A LIFE!!!!!!!
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.