Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: HURRICANE RELIEF SUPPLIES
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 02:56 PM

thanks dennis...so...i guess i just make a list of what i want to declare and keep the receipts to show the boys...is that correct?....if i get the green light should i just keep going?...i've been back and forth dozens and dozens of times but have never declared anything before...do i only have to declare big stuff?...what about 50# bags of rice and beans, etc?...sorry to be so ignorant about this stuff but i've heard SO many different stories

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
thanks dennis...so...i guess i just make a list of what i want to declare and keep the receipts to show the boys...is that correct?....if i get the green light should i just keep going?...i've been back and forth dozens and dozens of times but have never declared anything before...do i only have to declare big stuff?...what about 50# bags of rice and beans, etc?...sorry to be so ignorant about this stuff but i've heard SO many different stories

"if i get the green light should i just keep going?.." :lol::lol:

Yeah, Mike. Just keep going. Pop a Pacifico while you're at it.

Don't worry. Stupidity at the gate is your strongest ally. I don't know what your full load is but, the 50 lb. sack of beans won't tip the scale.
If you get a red light....just pull over and plead your case. Have your receipts in order....most of them, anyway. Don't dwell on the charity aspect of your trip, just mention it if necessary. They take offense to that. Long story for another time.

Don't go through Tecate. Do San Ysidro. The Tecate gate sees so few people, they'll pull over a larger percentage just for something to do.

By the way....At San Ysidro, don't take the "Declare" lane at the right. Take your chances with any lane left of that. These are special circumstances.
Good luck and don't worry. Consider this a "Rite Of Passage." Literally and figuerativly.

Man....My spelling is really starting to suck.

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by DENNIS]

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by DENNIS]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:32 PM

I told them at declare that it was stuff for the flood. No problemo no nada. That was then, this is now.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:40 PM

Whoops..just posted this elsewhere.

Has anybody heard how BBP is doing with customs?
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:42 PM

again, thanks dennis....i took down a TON of stuff for marty, julio and john and was never stopped at tecate...in fact, i think the top was already popped on the pacifico...never been san ysidro so it would be a new game for me but you can still teach this old dog new tricks..many thanks, guys.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:44 PM

Mike...If you're more comfortable with Tecate, use it. It's all a big question mark.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:49 PM

yeah, i'll just put on my big ol john deere smile and make sure my bride is crying when we cross...i've tried just about everything short of having a snarling pit bull in the back..that's next.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:53 PM

...and dennis...i guess you live right in punta banda...i camped on the beach there for almost a year back in my hippie days in the 60s...let's get together for a cold one on one of my drivebys headed for mulege

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
...and dennis...i guess you live right in punta banda...i camped on the beach there for almost a year back in my hippie days in the 60s...let's get together for a cold one on one of my drivebys headed for mulege

Say the word, Mike.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 06:14 PM

...drink...cold...pacifico.......make your choice

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
...drink...cold...pacifico.......make your choice

When are you coming through? I wouldn't mind a cold one at El Palomar in Sto. Tomas.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 06:42 PM

we hope to leave here this next week; weds or thurs...you'd be probably 3 days down the line...looks like next weekend barring any quirks...el palomar sounds great; we've had breakfast there a few times

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 08:45 AM

There is a lot of talk about Mulege because there are so many posters from that area and their damage is severe, but there are also a lot of other areas like Santa Rosalia, San Bruno,San Ignacio, Constitucion, San Carlos, and Insurgentes that were hit very hard. Seems that since there is not a resident gringo population there, you hear a lot less from those areas, but they were hit very hard and are feeling the problems also. The area where you hear almost nothing are the little villages in the back country like San Jose de Magdelena, Agua Agueda, La Purisima, San Jose de Comondu, La Poza Grande, etc., etc., Hopefully they can get the roads into those places open so that they can assess the situation there too.

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by Pescador]

Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
yeah, i'll just put on my big ol john deere smile and make sure my bride is crying when we cross...i've tried just about everything short of having a snarling pit bull in the back..that's next.

Pitbulls and hot chicks. Next to invincible.:D
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
There is a lot of talk about Mulege because there are so many posters from that area and their damage is severe, but there are also a lot of other areas like Santa Rosalia, San Bruno,San Ignacio, Constitucion, San Carlos, and Insurgentes that were hit very hard. Seems that since there is not a resident gringo population there, you hear a lot less from those areas, but they were hit very hard and are feeling the problems also. The area where you hear almost nothing are the little villages in the back country like San Jose de Magdelena, Agua Agueda, La Purisima, San Jose de Comondu, La Poza Grande, etc., etc., Hopefully they can get the roads into those places open so that they can assess the situation there too.

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by Pescador]
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:29 PM
Drop Off Spots for Huricane Relief Donations

I have done my best sifting through all the Jiminez post but I have not been able to find where I can drop off donations. Nothing on the BBP website yet. Since there absolutely no coverage of this in the local media it looks like it will be up to the users of this forum.

Please provide locations where we can bring donations for the many victims of this disaster when available in this thread.

Thanks
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 02:35 PM
Thanks Bajachris

My Question also.
Thanks in advance, Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:07 PM
Where is the Baja Relief paypal account?

I'm still trying to find a paypal account for Baja Hurricane Relief!

The BBP site states that they need more stuff! But they don't provide any way to donate money; and that's about the only thing I can do to help since I'm currently on the east coast.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 07:06 PM

Hey Turtleandtoad and all others:

I have a webpage on my site with the following:

1. Hurricane Jimena links page with:
a. a list of various relief funds and how donations can be made
b. links to all of the photo galleries available to date.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org/jimena_supplies.html

2. A page on the history and aftermath of the hurricane.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org/jimena_aftermath.html

3. a page where I have compiled all the donation lists from this thread and others (also supplies list for clean up)

http://www.lasecomujeres.org/jimena_supplies.html

It's kind of a one-stop shopping site for the hurricane so far, and it makes it easy to find stuff instead of sifting through all of the gazillion posts.

I will try to keep it up-to-date as more photo galleries become available and relief efforts become better organized and more concrete.

Let others (non Nomads) know about this site too.

Debra

www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 07:43 PM
Debra

Well done!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:
Thanks for your hard work, Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.