BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: WORST STORM IN US HISTORY - MOSTLY UNREPORTED & TONGUE IN CHEEK
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 03:33 PM

Barry A. Thanks. That's still bad breeze.:D
Reinventwen
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Update on Australia----------I read the MPH wrong-------the proper speed of the clocked winds was 200 KPH (kilometers, not miles)

Sorry about that.

Barry

That's 125 mph. Verrrrrry breezy. :(

\"The unexamined life is not worth living.\" - Socrates
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 04:15 PM

Not quite as easy as that, Barry. You really expect 100 million people to be suitably prepared for a killer blizzard....in these days of ignoring natural dangers? Hurricane parties, chasing tornados, surfing 30-40 waves, etc. Not going to happen in this day and age. 50 years ago..maybe. People were more alert to nature then.

Um..Barry....Glacier Park is considered to be the middle of the 'Banana Belt of Montana'..courtesy of the famous balmy Alberta Clipper. As kids we would go there in February to get a tan :rolleyes: Always 20 degrees warmer than the plains to the east...where the REAL cold begins.

Just kidding you, Barry...I did once freeze a toe while skiing in the area. Next time I wore socks AND ski boots. :rolleyes:

(now dang, I have GOT to stop that kind of joke.)

Here's a real life storm story for you.

Winter storms – Pelican Lake blizzard, MN 1975

Imagine -50 F without figuring the wind chill factor. Wind chill during this particular storm went -100F. It happens.

I was snowed in for 4 days in my insulated ice-house (fishing shack on a frozen lake).

Took this photo BEFORE the storm..when it was a pleasant -10F.

I survived that storm 'only' because I had planned 2 sources of heat. One propane heater..(bottle seen in photo on left) and one wood-burning drum-stove. During this storm (winter 1974-75) it got so cold on Pelican Lake, Mn that the propane would not gasify….the standing air temp outside was well below -44 F..and so no propane heat. The propane just laid on the bottom of the bottle as a liquid.

I burned wood judiciously from my woodpile outside, which was buried under 8 feet of snow.

Did we have any warning a storm like this was coming….NOPE…otherwise we would have the hell off that lake! We are Norsk after all.

All we could do was stay put..and fish! We are Norsk after all.

This average sized MN pike was very easy to keep fresh-frozen. :yes:

We literally ‘dug’ out after the 4th day to find a snow cover over 6 feet deep around us. My El Camino was out of sight..except for the tip of it’s radio antenna sticking thru the snow. :rolleyes:

We trudged back to my lake home for the tractor w/front bucket…took us a whole day to clear a road to the car. Note: The blown snow makes a good insulator and it fired right up.

All in all , we were lucky ..with some good planning..to have survived.

Sadly, some teenagers from a nearby town did not..they got caught in the blizzard when driving a country road..and instead of staying in the car with at least a slight chance of living…they decided to try walking back on the road. An impossible task when the blasting snow is blinding you and the temps drop below -50F. Plus their clothing was not appropriate for those conditions.

A couple days after the storm we were part of about 500 searchers looking for the bodies. They were all found by the use of long poles stuck down into the snow….like avalanche victims were sometimes found. That was not a sight to forget. All of us prayed for their souls….and their grieving families.

Oh yeah, I love weather, but I sure respect it.

If anyone in the affected areas is reading this, please report your conditions.

[Edited on 2-3-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Um..Barry....Glacier Park is considered to be the middle of the 'Banana Belt of Montana'..courtesy of the famous balmy Alberta Clipper. As kids we would go there in February to get a tan ;rolleyes: Always 20 degrees warmer than the plains to the east...where the REAL cold begins.

[Edited on 2-2-2011 by Pompano]

Great story, Pompono (see previous post by Pomp_

To me, fresh out of 30 years living in Coronado, CA, GLACIER was an eye-opener, believe me. Yes, West Glacier is mild (I guess) and that is where I lived. Went over to the East side several times in winter chasing Blackfeet elk poachers, and thought I was going to die------it's not fit for man nor beast over there!!!! The locals were amused at me, to say the least. :lol:

Barry
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 05:39 PM

So, the Middle East is in turmoil. We can't seem to figure a way to increase employment. So let's talk about the weather. Seems that talikng about the weather was always the fall back position at conventions and c-cktail parties.:lol::lol::lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 06:46 PM

Great story Pompano!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 06:59 PM

We do seem to be at a period in time at which natural disasters are becoming more frequent and often now even pushed back to the second page of the news. Wish my crystal ball was better at forecasting as it is taking on the appearance of building towards something bigger from my point of view.

Great thread and stories Roger...

[Edited on 2-3-2011 by BajaGringo]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:07 PM
What an 'odd' thing to say....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
So, the Middle East is in turmoil. We can't seem to figure a way to increase employment. So let's talk about the weather. Seems that talikng about the weather was always the fall back position at conventions and c-cktail parties.:lol::lol::lol:

Bajahowodd...weather has been the main topic of mankind since speech.

It is not a conversation filler.

It affects every facet of our nation..from our agricultural base to our government's ability to deal in foreign affairs. I am a wee bit surprised that you do not grasp this....

..but different opinions are what make a good horse race. If ours were all the same, it would be useless to run.

I recommend reading some natural history..about weather... and how it has affected mankind since we came down from the trees.

bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:53 PM

Pomp ~ It's almost 8 pm....It's 8 degrees and snowing. Again. Luckily we all have flannel jammies and lots of wood for the woodstove. We are staying nice and toasty. But we don't forsee playing outside for a few days :)

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam
Pomp ~ It's almost 8 pm....It's 8 degrees and snowing. Again. Luckily we all have flannel jammies and lots of wood for the woodstove. We are staying nice and toasty. But we don't forsee playing outside for a few days :)

-----and THAT is what everybody in these snow-zones should be doing-------I salute you!!!! Problem solved. :light:

Barry
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Who cares about the weather in the middle east?:lol::lol::lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:24 AM

33 and clear this morning in San Felipe.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:26 AM

27º at Camp Pendleton/ Oceanside this morning!!! (Clear blue sky)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:32 AM

41 the low in Redding, CA. What's with you guys in the southland at 27-------------we must have tipped on our axis!!! :wow:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:48 AM

Yah, it is/ was freeekin' cold this morning! The sun is up and the temperature is rising fast!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:01 AM

9am and the temp has only risen 1 degree to 48º. Noth wind at 35 to 40+mph

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:10 AM

67 degrees here and blowing about 25 with maybe some gusts to 30 knots...no boats out today at all...tecate consumption up.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:27 AM

8am here in Yuma it was 30

let talk about Global warming

great story Roger
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 10:03 AM

COLD AND WINDY IN BAY OF CONCEPTION!!

It's still very windy here in Coyote Bay..but managable. Come on, you woozies, what's a little wind and cool breeze? I'm gonna launch my boat in a bit to check out the engine prior to fishing ... ASAP. ;D

Air Temps are nice and warm...inside.
Outside...it's brrrrrr.

RVers:
Not a great time to come beach camping in the Bay, unless your camper needs sandblasting for a new paint job. :rolleyes:

Here's what the Windy Bay of Conception looked like yesterday...it's WORSE today. I imagine the windsurfers are in 7th heaven over by Pta. Arena and Playa Naranjos..that place is always the windiest in the bay. The entrance to the bay is like a wind tunnel in the winter months.

These photos taken yesterday do not really show how WINDY it is in the Bay....but believe me, it's WINDY!

The Straits..Wind.

Hey..the Bay shrine has a new color for 2011.

Campers huddled up at Cocos...nary a soul to be seen outside.

On the other side of the world:

Worst Storm Ever Recorded?

The cyclone that just hit NE Australia was one of the most powerful storms ever recorded. Sustained winds of 180mph destroyed hundreds of structures and disrupted utilities to several communities.

So far, luckily, there has been no reported fatalities, but some towns are still not able to communicate.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
....no reported fatalities, but some towns are still not able to communicate.[/size]

So, two towns go into a bar. One town says to the other, "Boy, it sure was windy last night." The other town says, "What?" :lol::lol:

[Edited on 2-3-2011 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.