BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Where were you in 1975?
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 10-19-2011 at 09:11 PM
It ain't changed much

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
1975--------BLM Chief Ranger (the first), El Centro, CA. Continued my many trips to the beaches below San Felipe to San Francisquito & El Barril started in about 1954. Loved it all, even El Centro!!!:lol:

Barry

I live in Yuma and do some traveling to El Centro. I much prefer Yuma!!

bacquito
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-19-2011 at 10:09 PM

I liked Yuma too, Bacquito, and went over there pretty often. Heck, I like everyplace I have lived, and they are all different.

1975 was a long time ago, and I think that El Centro has changed a lot (left in '86)-------in fact I get lost there now. :rolleyes:

barry
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

wow.gif posted on 10-20-2011 at 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i was 10. living 4 blocks from the beach in OB. spent summers riding those blue and yellow rafts you could rent on the beach for $1/day. sunburnt ears led to scabs on the tops of my ears. i still have the ears, tho!

OH YEA! Rented those rafts also in '63 (8 yrs old) before pier was built...loved riding on top of those little girls riding on their rented rafts.
Hey Woody, the sunburns were bad but I remember getting tit rash from those rafts so bad you could only ride every other day!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 05:37 AM

i forgot about the rash! thanks for that!!! i would always dig thru the stack of rafts and find the hardest one. they seemed to ride so much better than those half full ones, duh!

anyone else ever had raft rash so bad your nipples scabbed over?

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 06:19 AM

Racing Marathons and doing well in my age group. Later on raced Triathlons. Quit racing in 1991 and got my life back.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Was Baja a part of your life in 1975??

I remember a weekend of duck hunting with (3) friends down at the Wister Reserve (near Niland). We had reservations for Saturday and hunted that day OK but on Sunday it had to be "space available" as we had no reservations.
Up early Sunday morning & checking in we were told there were no openings! What to do? One guy suggested a drive to Algodones, MX for breakfast and some shopping. That was my very first experience in a Mexico border town. Most memorable!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:16 AM

Living in Houston Texas Helping build the Gallerea Shoping complex and bought my new Bayliner Victoria a very good year.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Racing Marathons and doing well in my age group. Later on raced Triathlons. Quit racing in 1991 and got my life back.

Jeeeezo....it should be against the law to look that healthy.
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 12:45 PM

In 1975 I had just graduated from Cal Poly and lived in San Luis Obispo. My first surfing trip to Baja was 1963. We would attend the friday night dance at the Grand in Torrance and after the dance drive to TJ which was in full swing at about 1am. Have a few cold ones, then head to k-39,54, San Miguel for the morning glassoff. After the am session we'd get some breakfast then head for the beer warehouse for a case. Good times and memories.

Dorado Don
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
1975?

Surfing in Baja of course (K55) on a ditch day with the older guys from my neighborhood in Mission Bay San Diego... Where else?

K-55 how cool, one of my Hawthorne High classmates's parents had a place at K-55 "Campo Lopez" His name was Bobby Gomen , they had a trailer right on the water at the point. A trailer and a bunk house for the surfers. I started going there in about 1966 or 67, great right point , and a good left off the rocks in the summer, plus good beach break all the time, if you could make it out, that place always had a swell, like La Mission. In 1975 I was living in OB and surfing Northern Baja, 3 times a week, when there was a swell, (I had a friend with a Dr dad and a house at San Antonio), (Baja Malibu). Great wave in the right conditions. And then carnitas at Las Flores De Michoacan after surfing best years ever, and best carnitas. Thanks for brining me back.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i was 10. living 4 blocks from the beach in OB. spent summers riding those blue and yellow rafts you could rent on the beach for $1/day. sunburnt ears led to scabs on the tops of my ears. i still have the ears, tho!

I rented those same rafts at El Porto in El Segundo about 10 years earlier, I loved those rafts, where did they go? Usually blue with the yellow rubber ends, tougher than nails, I want one now. And I remember the tit rash too, but it didn't stop you, what fun.

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by 805gregg]
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 08:37 PM

In 1975 I had just graduated from electrical engineering and was working for Tektronix in Portland Oregon. We had been doing a trip to Mexico every other year since about 1958. My father was a doctor near Spokane Washington and we would pack up our stuff and drive either to the mainland or Baja.

1975 was our "stay up North year" but in 1974 we had driven a class "A" motor home pulling a car from Spokane to Lapaz and then took the car to Cabo. While down there we went diving at Cabo Pulmo.

Normally we got about 2 weeks off so that was a lot of miles to drive in two weeks. There was an issue with the carb on the motor home and it only got about 4 miles to the gallon. Gas was a lot cheaper then but that trip cost a lot more than what we expected.

People in Washington really had no idea about where Baja was at that time. We would tell them that we had gone as far below the border as Spokane was above the border. This seemed to put things into perspective.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:59 PM

In 1975 I was 16 and where ever it was I was, I was in trouble. Thats about all I can remember.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
In 1975 I was 16 and where ever it was I was, I was in trouble. Thats about all I can remember.

Kinda like the Haight in the sixties......if you can remember it, you weren't there. :cool:
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 09:43 AM

I'm guessing this is around 1975 or maybe earlier. Excuse the photos, my scanner went t*ts up so I took a photo of the photos.

I am on the right on both photos. The old mare on the left was called "Satanas" by the locals, she would not let anyone ride her. The old boat on the right was towed to San Quintin by my dad and his brothers in the mid-fifties. They actually use to take her out in San Quintin Bay. We still have the old outboard engine at my dad's house in L.A. He had brought it back for repairs in the early sixties but it never made it back to San Quintin. Back in the late 50's one of my uncles decided to move to San Quintin and he was appointed a "Comisario", kinda like a sheriff. He had no uniform but was given a .38 to carry in his pocket.

Sorry about the size, I couldn't figure out how to re-size.

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by sanquintinsince73]

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 10:00 AM

1975 was spent surfing my home breaks - indicators, avalanche, wally's and K&G's - along with some extended forrays in Big Sur - sand dollar, willow creek and fullers - and of course baja - but only the northern part. One memorable night we were sleeping at K-55's in a VW van when we were violently awoken by large rifles and flashlights. A thorough search was performed but to no avail as all consumables had been consumed the night before (but still raging through the bloodstream!). Unbeknownst to the rest of us, the owner of the bus reached into a "secret compartment" and pulled out a stack of playboys - a deal was struck - and as we watched the glow of tailights dimming in the distance we realized that we were the only ones on the bluff.....

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by The Sculpin]

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by The Sculpin]

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 10:38 AM

In diapers....living in San Diego.

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 12:22 PM

senior year, living in ventura, making runs to baja with friends and/or family. first trip 1968 with family. first w/out parents, 1972. (what an experience that was!)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 04:01 PM

The 60's and 70's were great times to discover Baja. There were far fewer campos so more of us may have been at the same place on any given holiday.

Nuevo Mazatlan (formerly Agua de Chale) south of San Felipe was one of the few places to access the beach from the old Puertecitos road, and it was always busy on the holidays. Even though it was over 25 dirt miles of driving from the pavement.

Nuevo Mazatlan, Labor Day, 1967

The beach near San Antonio del Mar, west of Colonet was also busy on the holidays. Both places we visited often... I wonder how many of you were also there at the same time as us? Seems like a lot of you were born in the 1950's like me, so maybe your parents or you as a teen drove to those places back then?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
I'm guessing this is around 1975 or maybe earlier. Excuse the photos, my scanner went t*ts up so I took a photo of the photos.

I am on the right on both photos. The old mare on the left was called "Satanas" by the locals, she would not let anyone ride her. The old boat on the right was towed to San Quintin by my dad and his brothers in the mid-fifties. They actually use to take her out in San Quintin Bay. We still have the old outboard engine at my dad's house in L.A. He had brought it back for repairs in the early sixties but it never made it back to San Quintin. Back in the late 50's one of my uncles decided to move to San Quintin and he was appointed a "Comisario", kinda like a sheriff. He had no uniform but was given a .38 to carry in his pocket.

Sorry about the size, I couldn't figure out how to re-size.

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by sanquintinsince73]

When you upload from your PC files to Photobucket... remember to click 'Customize your upload options' (link in blue at bottom of pop up you get when you click 'upload now')

Then pick 640 x 480 (I recommend) for a large, but not full frame image here. I only use 800 x 600 for maps or satellite imgaes usually for max. detail viewing.

Click SAVE... then upload your photos to Photobucket... Use the 'IMG' code and paste that link right here with your text/ captions... You can post several photos but I think no more than a dozen per post is wise.

Here is the same image at different sizes, up to 800:

160 pixels wide

320 pixels

640 pixels

800 pixels

The standard Photobucket upload size is over 1000 pixels wide, that is why you need to pre-select a smaller size before uploading photos that you want to share here or on other forums that don't automatically resize images.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.