BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE TOURISM??
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 10:30 AM

Mexico relegates the permit process to a "just get by" status as far as funding is concerned. Where is the modern facility beside the toll road with great parking, modern offices with clear signage?

If Tijuana and Ensenada were important enough in the scheme of things, the state government would establish a tourist police force - mind you not a large one, but with officers that patrol tourist pedestrian boulevards, and can translate if a problem should arise.

Where are the large highway signs like they have at Nogales, and Piedras Negras?

As long as a "Just Get By" atmosphere exists, tourism will be mediocre.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 11:57 AM

All Nomads can post their homes on Craig's list to allow American visitors to stay for free.

Dennis, please post your ad link here when you are done.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
This applies to northern region of TJ-SD

Definitely make it easier for visitors to "get back to the US" in the form of *well marked signs* and clearly marked routes to get back to various crossings.

If a first time visitor spends a weekend, and tries to go back on Sunday and they find that the border is "roped off", they are basically effed. They will find themselves quickly lost in a very big and unknown city and that is not a good feeling. Alternate routes are totally unknown, and the police holding up the yellow tape are no help at all and they just wave you off to enter the pits of the vast unknown. This happened to me a few times when first started coming here, and it's happened to some of our visitors who we provided them detailed maps and pictures of a route, but if you hit a blockade, "they are on their own" and if/when they do finally find an entrance to the border line, it's a fight just to get in line then another few hours of waiting. Yes, sounds like a fun trip. Let's go....

Homeland security is the BIGGEST problem after crime that deters trade and travel between USA and Mexico. But if you complain to our politicians they don't care, because they think building fences and roadblocks and bashing immigrants gets more votes than facilitating travel and trade.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
All Nomads can post their homes on Craig's list to allow American visitors to stay for free.

Our link is here and we do let guests we know stay for free---guess we are doing our part. :biggrin:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 12:16 PM

A high speed rail line with 24/7 service, shuttle buses from southern CA, four-laning Hwy 1.:lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull

Here ya go, Gull. Thanks for reminding me....I'm sooo motivated:

http://micasaes.net/
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 12:20 PM

From Off-topic. A video that shows just how much some Mexicans want tourists to return. Spoiler alert: they don't.

Mexico Builds Border Wall to Keep Out US A**holes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-bJ9V7U428

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Any ideas out there?
La Paz? Close the Malecon to vehicles from 15:00 to 03:00 and most the weekend.

This would allow all the "must do" vehicle traffic (merchandise deliveries, trash pickup etc.) and create an astounding peak-hour waterfront playground for tourists and locals alike.

For starters, La Paz isn't a foreign tourist destination, so I doubt there'd be the rush of the "right" (as in dollars) tourism that most people equate with "tourism" if they were to close the Malecon to vehicles during those hours. According to INEGI, La Paz gets about 70-80 percent national (Mexican) tourists and the rest are foreign. And Mexican tourists like the town just as it is.

I did a two-year study of tourism here some years ago and one of the findings was that La Paz is viewed by most foreign tourists as a place that's "on the way" to other tourist scenes (the whales, for example). Our beaches aren't world class, at least, not those in town. For good beaches, one needs to go out on the peninsula north of town, to Balandra or Tecolote.

As for the malecon--we are definitely a "car culture" (BCS has the highest registered-vehicle-per-resident ration in Mexico, according to the 2005 edition of INEGI data)--and the malecon, as you imply, is THE PLACE to go in a car in the early evenings. It's what the people do around here, especially on weekends. To close it to vehicle traffic in the hopes that it would attract tourists would be to place the cart before the horse. You'd only create lots of resentment among locals without the monetary payoff to make it hurt less.

I think that La Paz should adopt the Mazatlan Model of tourism development. I'm referring to the "Zona Dorada" they've built up for the last thirty years or so that is about 8-10 kilometers north of Mazatlan proper (Olas Altas, which was once the center of their tourism development). Tecolote, and (unfortunately) Balandra are where our tourism development will likely take root. La Paz should be preserved as a Mexican tourist resort, so it doesn't lose it's "Mexican town" feeling--or what's left of it.

Of course, in an ideal world, we'd develop small-scale, locally owned tourism enterprises that are proven much healthier for the environment and which leave LOTS more money among the local population, something the Los Cabos-style resorts aren't known for doing.

[Edited on 2-28-2012 by Bajatripper]

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Sprocket
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 01:49 PM

Border wait is the biggest bummer of all! Improve border times and they will come. Not just turistas. I remeber the days when we would drive to Puerto Nuev for dinner.:(
Baja needs to check there hotel and resturant pricing. I can take the family to a nice hotel in Palm Springs for half what I would spend to go to San Felipe and have no border wait!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-27-2012 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

I'd love to cruise to cabo on a big road bike, it might be better than my previous baja dream vehicle - a '59 Eldorado. :spingrin:

[Edited on 2-27-2012 by SFandH]

As one who has done dozens of round trip motorcycle rides to Mulege and beyond over the past almost 40 years I highly recommend it. Nothing clears my mind like a 500 mile day on Mex Hwy 1. I have never tired of it and don't think I ever will.
temporarilyoutofservice
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 01:22 PM

Hi Dennis.

Real chit happens here and acknowledgement from the Gringos on this forum needs to happen. Even though your question won't be properly addressed, it needs to be raised repeatedly until so.

The changes have to come from the Mexicans themselves and corruption needs rooted out. Citizens here need to have more involvement and be socially conscious. Such mentality simply does not exist. Mexicans don't even know their own rights, even their worker rights. They even sign illegal contracts with employers that violate their federal rights.

Mexicans need to take a stand and Gringos need to help facilitate political awareness rather than trying to hoodwink potential tourists.

Build it, and they will come.

Gringos and resorts are helping to insure further decline in tourism with inflated prices, chit service all the while corruption is rampant, crime is rampant. It needs to be addressed.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by temporarilyoutofservice]
temporarilyoutofservice
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 01:27 PM

Like I predicted, naive answers.

Carlos'n Charlie's in La Paz got shut down because rich guys were raping the waitresses *in* the restaurant.

And everyone's talking about marketing.
temporarilyoutofservice
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
As for the malecon--we are definitely a "car culture" (BCS has the highest registered-vehicle-per-resident ration in Mexico, according to the 2005 edition of INEGI data)--and the malecon, as you imply, is THE PLACE to go in a car in the early evenings. It's what the people do around here, especially on weekends. To close it to vehicle traffic in the hopes that it would attract tourists would be to place the cart before the horse. You'd only create lots of resentment among locals without the monetary payoff to make it hurt less.

haha. You mean the drinking-and-driving "culture."

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

eureka.gif posted on 4-3-2012 at 02:12 PM

Last month, the Rotarians, who are very active in Mulege, had a meeting to discuss these issues as the pertain to Mulege. An email went out to some of us residents who are known by Rotary board members. It is disappointing that I have had no feedback other than "Good ideas, Tony" by the soliciting board member. I do NOT know if my ideas were even presented.

So here are the my ideas as sent by email to the board member:

"Ideas to help tourism: finish projects such as promoting as a fishing destination; malecon, dredge river, etc.

Write press releases in U.S. media with photos showing the beauty of the area.

Publicize the safety of the area and how friendly our municipal police are.

Promote positive stories of how the community helped locals who were economically hurt by the floods; the clean ups that were done by government, organizations such as the Rotarians and also, individuals. Show pictures of The Orchard homes, streets and landscaping. We are exemplary!

Ideas to promote investors: standardize immigration processes for FM3, FM2, etc. between the various jurisdictions. They differ widely among the locations, and the individual officers too.

Allow Mexican consulates in The United States to process annual renewals. Being on time for renewal at a local immigration office (Santa Rosalia) is often not possible. Suspend fines for being late with good excuse (such as Doctor's report; medical records). Allow people to surrender their FM3s, FM2s, etc. to Mexican consulates in The United States if they are no longer needed.

Lower costs of Fideicomiso purchases and transfers.

Allow actual capital gains/losses on sale of homes rather than on arbitrary appraisal. We have suffered extreme economic losses along the river and market values have greatly declined.

Mexico shoots itself in the foot with the above practices.That promotes ill will. Word gets around. To me it would seem logical to become more investor friendly by making these changes. Might as well promote good will rather than bad!

These suggestions may be beyond the scope of Jimmy's interest but in my opinion, these larger concerns involving the national image directly affects the local attraction that is Mulege."

temporarilyoutofservice
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 02:21 PM

@toneart

I only met six nice residents in Mulege. The rest were crooks, pathetic saps, leaches, and unfriendly.

They want dollars but they don't want tourists. You have a social and political problem, not a tourism problem.

Mulege is loco. It's sad because there are some genuinely decent, honest people from there.

temporarilyoutofservice
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 02:30 PM

A first step in rooting out corruption would be overturning: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calumnia

It's just a political shield for corruption.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 04:17 PM

Dennis,

Before the troll interruptions, I tried to contribute to your questions. Funny how trolls always attack the person negatively, whereas others try to be constructive in dealing with the topic.

In my post, the first part did not deal with the negatives, of which there are some, but rather, I tried to answer the Rotarians' (Mexican National business people, American and Canadian Residents) questions. They were interested in promoting Mulege to attract more tourists. My answers, which were specific to Mulege, offered only positive, imagery.

The context was thinking in terms of PR; ways in which Mexico could change things instead of shooting itself in the foot.

The second part, in which I talked about attracting investors did deal with your questions, I believe. It dealt with the problems that Mexico presents for the whole country, including Baja. I offered my solutions.

Obviously the global economy and especially the drug cartel violence is a very real problem and is much more difficult to solve. I agree with many others, here and on other boards, that the violence cannot be ignored. Reporting on that is a responsible thing to do. People do need to know the perils so that they can make informed decisions. But that is a different topic, and has been the subject of many threads.

Also, the border crossings really do impede tourism as several posters have said. I read the other day where a huge new project is scheduled to begin in Tecate very soon. It is a giant solar installation. Can you imagine what kind of truck traffic up that narrow, winding road will do to that border crossing? Not very good timing for it to happen at the same time the San Ysidro crossing, two year project is going on. :no:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Dennis,

Before the troll interruptions, I tried to contribute to your questions.

Ahhhh....that's OK, Tony. It was getting a little dull around here anyway.

Good try, and thanks.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 04:27 PM

As a resident down here, I'm trying to figure out how more tourism is going to make my life better.

Maybe the lesson to be learned from the Great Recession is DIVERSIFY. How often have we seen economies too dependent on tourism take it in the shorts?

Maybe Mexico should be using this lull in tourism to find out how else it can make serious money.

Oh yeah, besides the drug and human smuggling trade. This economy has probably thrown countless thousands smack dab into the drug trade as a means of last resort.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
How often have we seen economies too dependent on tourism take it in the shorts?

Rosarito.....2015

http://www.highdesertdrifter.com/towns/aurora/aurora08.jpg
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.