Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: immigration presentation in Loreto today
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
OK....here's how it went for me yesterday with my independent agent.
I had an FM3 for five years and an FM2 for four years.
I now give him six months of bank statements, a copy of my passport. my FM2 along with 600 dollars for the Residente Permanente card, and it's over for me.

I would be interested what experience other Nomads have at the Loreto INM office about using thier FM3 years as part of their process to get to "Residente Permanente"..
My talk with them last week, they stated that they were only allowing years under a FM2 to count towards "RP" status?

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
It's possible there's some page translation fees in there, by the agent. Some "official" translators charge 100 pesos per page.

We did not go in to our local office last Monday as expected. The very painful death of our oldest dog just left us unwilling. Next Monday, for sure.

I'd say the Ensenada office is the reigning PITA king of all the INM offices. Maybe that is money well spent, Dennis.

Maybe so, but the agent I spoke to (the one Dennis uses) includes that with his fee. Great to know I'm dealing with the biggest PITA. :(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 11:16 AM

What's to translate on a bank statement? It's all numbers. Imn doesn't care where it comes from.....only that it arrives on a regular basis.
If fees are charged for that, it's a pure and simple ripoff.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Quote:
OK....here's how it went for me yesterday with my independent agent.
I had an FM3 for five years and an FM2 for four years.
I now give him six months of bank statements, a copy of my passport. my FM2 along with 600 dollars for the Residente Permanente card, and it's over for me.

I would be interested what experience other Nomads have at the Loreto INM office about using thier FM3 years as part of their process to get to "Residente Permanente"..
My talk with them last week, they stated that they were only allowing years under a FM2 to count towards "RP" status?

I got the same story (about a month ago) and they are wrong. not that that helps. I figure I'll have to go to La Paz or hire a lawyer if they persist in this belief.

Article 162, secto VI states that Permanent Resident status (from Article 52 sect VII) conditions for Permanent Residents include (among others, most of which aren't applicable to the average gringo) (II) pensioned or retired with sufficient income to live in the country or (III0 qualify under a points system to be defined (mainly for highly qualified skilled workers similar to the pints-based immigration to Australia, Canada, New Zealand). also included is owning property in Mexico, amount to be determined but currently thought to be about 250K.

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 02:00 PM

I'm wondering what drives someone to get a Permanent Resident status vs. naturalization? I've read the benefits of both along with not having to renew either.

Are there benefits that ''fit'' someone wanting Permanent Resident status other than no more renewals? I know the costs are less, don't have to show up in DF for the test, etc.

What else is there?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
What else is there?

Naturalization is a grueling process, Lee. First....a working knowledge of Spanish is required as well as taking a test. There are questions about the national anthem as well as other areas that good citizens should be aware of.
On top of that, one must travel to Mexico City to do all of it.

Shari went through this a while back and perhaps, if she sees this, she'll add some info.

I think Blanca did as well.

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by DENNIS]
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
What's to translate on a bank statement? It's all numbers. Imn doesn't care where it comes from.....only that it arrives on a regular basis.
If fees are charged for that, it's a pure and simple ripoff.

Maybe not a savings account statement from a bank. However, have you never seen a statement from a brokerage house? (Mine are ~20 pages). There are many, many terms and phrases to translate. The biggest problem is not translating but FORMATTING the translation pages (which have many columns of numbers, under many different headings) to resemble the originals and to be legible.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus
The biggest problem is not translating but FORMATTING the translation pages (which have many columns of numbers, under many different headings) to resemble the originals and to be legible.

By the way....I think I recall your mention that Carlos may be doing some translating. I'm pretty sure he isn't as translators are trained and licensed. Translations from unlicensed sources are ignored by the government.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:04 PM
Readers' Digest Condensed version is OkeyDokey

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe not a savings account statement from a bank. However, have you never seen a statement from a brokerage house? (Mine are ~20 pages). ...
Its been my experience that Immigration does not want 20 pages translated to clutter your file.
They just want 3 consecutive months' one-page statements which contains your name, a current date and a balance which meets their qualifications. They don't need this translated.

Be sure to ink-out the account number(s) and your stateside address, btw-- t'aint nobody's biznezz but yours and it protects you from identity theft.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:24 PM

regarding becoming a citizen....the test is only 5 questions...it's the study sheet of the possible 100 questions that is grueling to learn as well as the anthem not to mention having to go to DF twice....but it was worth it for me!

I believe the test is not given to applicants over 60.

I love to vote and I can have land in my name and just like being a citizen in the country I live in.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:26 PM

how many can you miss out of five?:?:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I believe the test is not given to applicants over 60.

You mean we get a pass? Hard to imagine.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
how many can you miss out of five?:?:

None, but you can buy the answers from Shari. :lol:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:39 PM

Granted the naturalization process isn't easy. It is doable, though. And I think those who went that route shared much like Shari wrote -- it was worth it.

I don't think those getting Residential status do it because it was easier. Or do they?

Dennis is over 60 so the test doesn't apply.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:01 PM

Based on info gotten off a Mazatlan discussion board, the issue of whether a person with a Residente Permanente can drive a foreign plated vehicle was discussed at the immigration forum in Mazatlan this morning. Representatives of INM stated that person's with a Permanente RENTISTA card ARE allowed to drive a foreign plated vehicle. The reasoning given was because all their income was from OUTSIDE of Mexico.

If this holds true, that pretty much makes it a slam dunk in favor of getting a Residente Permanente RENTISTA card, IMO. For one lump sum, you would be able to drive your foreign plated vehicle, not have any restrictions on entering or exiting the country, not have to check in or out when entering or exiting by land and SUPPOSEDLY never have to apply for any type of INM card again.

Can this really be true? Hey, it's Mexico..................who knows?

MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe not a savings account statement from a bank. However, have you never seen a statement from a brokerage house? (Mine are ~20 pages). ...
Its been my experience that Immigration does not want 20 pages translated to clutter your file.
They just want 3 consecutive months' one-page statements which contains your name, a current date and a balance which meets their qualifications. They don't need this translated.

Be sure to ink-out the account number(s) and your stateside address, btw-- t'aint nobody's biznezz but yours and it protects you from identity theft.

Who knows what the !$#@$ they want, now, but when I tried to apply a few months ago, the representative (who seemed to know what she was doing) quickly segregated from the numerous pages of statements I'd brought with me, three statements of about 20 pages each, and she advised me to get them translated and re-submit them and the translation with my application.

I might add: a lot of people who invest in stocks, bonds and/or mutual funds don't keep that much money in savings accounts or other accounts that are summarized in short statements. I don't THINK that even the Mexican government would be so stupid as to exclude lengthier statements of account as evidence of financial eligibility to obtain a visa.

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by MsTerieus]
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The biggest problem is not translating but FORMATTING the translation pages (which have many columns of numbers, under many different headings) to resemble the originals and to be legible.

By the way....I think I recall your mention that Carlos may be doing some translating. I'm pretty sure he isn't as translators are trained and licensed. Translations from unlicensed sources are ignored by the government.

Well, you are mistaken, Dennis. He was perfectly willing to have his assistants translate my financials - which was what they were in the middle of doing for someone else when I went to his office. INM does not require certified translations; anyone can do them. And as you said, it's mostly numbers (though lots of standard banking/brokerage phrases, as well).

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by MsTerieus]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Well, you are mistaken, Dennis. He was perfectly willing to have his assistants translate my financials - which was what they were in the middle of doing for someone else when I went to his office. INM does not require certified translations; anyone can do them. And as you said, it's mostly numbers (though lots of standard banking/brokerage phrases, as well).

OK......I think most of what IMM requires is a bunch of arbitrary boolsht anyway, given the differences in local requirements, but if you are ever in dealings with a notary, don't ask Carlos' daughter to translate for you. It won't fly.
What I mean is, some things require an "Official Translation." Those are only done by Official Translators, college trained and licensed as well as proudly displaying the title of Licenciado in front of their name.
Evidently, the forms being filled out at IMM arn't among those because, to my knowledge, neither Carlos or his daughter is an official translator.

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by DENNIS]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:10 PM

Let me just clear up a point before someone wants to say "Licenciado" is a title denoting an attorney. That is a common misconception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licentiate#Mexico

MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
OK......I think most of what IMM requires is a bunch of arbitrary boolsht anyway, given the differences in local requirements, but if you are ever in dealings with a notary, don't ask Carlos' daughter to translate for you. It won't fly.
What I mean is, some things require an "Official Translation." Those are only done by Official Translators, college trained and licensed as well as proudly displaying the title of Licenciado in front of their name.
Evidently, the forms being filled out at IMM arn't among those because, to my knowledge, neither Carlos or his daughter is an official translator.

I agree with you about the BS. And I am not aware of any "forms" at INM that require translation - official or no. Just bank statements, and the like, showing financial eligibility need to be translated. As I think I said at some point, Carlos actually had advised me to translate them MYSELF and/or get a friend to help (because he would only do it in connection with handling the entire application process for me, and I'd done everything else). I do find the requirement a bit odd: you'd think even educated people in Mexico could figure out what a Charles Schwab or Smith Barney statement (in English) says.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.