Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Help- Cabo cops robbed my son
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:00 PM

Just talked with my son and there is not a whole lot of story going on.He had just left Squid Row at 1:30 am and was walking to his hotel, alone, when they scooped him up and searched him for drugs. They drove him 4 blocks into a poorer section of town, took the money in his wallet and left him there. He says they had a police vehicle and were dressed as cops.

I don't have a clue why they left his phone with him other than they probably were afraid that it had a device in it that could be traced to them.

My son has been staying in Todos Santos for 2 months and frequents the clubs in Cabo. He is not involved in drugs or any other nefarious activity. He spends most of his days at the beach with his girlfriend and another friend. I was just down there last week visiting him and they do not look or act like criminals.

This appears to simply be a case of a shakedown for his cash. It is guaranteed that he will not walks those streets alone anymore.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
What's ironic about this mess is that I am planning on teaching a class at the local college in NorCal about travelling to Baja to visit the Grey Whales. My motive is to get more gringos into Mexico to help the tourist trade and improve the image many Americans have of Baja and the Mexican people! This is a curveball in that plan.

Teaching a class at the local college I would suspect you would want the correct spelling....that is Gray whale, not grey whale.:yes:.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles
Teaching a class at the local college I would suspect you would want the correct spelling....that is Gray whale, not grey whale.:yes:.

actually, both spellings are valid. the "a" version is more common in USA
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

actually, gray is the most accepted version world wide. Google 'grey whale' and see what comes up. Sure, they are both valid spellings of the word, but gray whale is the accepted name of the baleen whale Eschrichtius robustus.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
actually, gray is the most accepted version world wide.

Not for everybody, it seems:

http://typophile.com/files/grey-poupon.jpg
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

actually, gray is the most accepted version world wide. Google 'grey whale' and see what comes up. Sure, they are both valid spellings of the word, but gray whale is the accepted name of the baleen whale Eschrichtius robustus.

the whales are born in mexico, so mexican citizens, and likely speak spanish or eskimo better than they speak english,... call 'em ballena gris! that's with an "i"
Wiles
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 3-4-2013 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
actually, gray is the most accepted version world wide.

Not for everybody, it seems:

http://typophile.com/files/grey-poupon.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
whales are born in mexico, so mexican citizens,

Does this mean we need a longer fence...one that stretches far out into the water? I don't know for sure, but I'll bet they're all illegals. How could they have documents when they don't even have pockets?
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the whales are born in mexico, so mexican citizens, and likely speak spanish or eskimo better than they speak english,... call 'em ballena gris! that's with an "i"

Aw, we just like to call them friendly.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65636#pid7939...
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Does this mean we need a longer fence...one that stretches far out into the water? I don't know for sure, but I'll bet they're all illegals. How could they have documents when they don't even have pockets?

Great, now we have to call them ballenas mojados?? :lol::lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No, no water "fence" needed, at this time. So far, tho it is a gray (grey) area, they seldom come ashore, so their "status" or possession of documents is moot. Their grayness (greyness?) is already established, however, so not to worry.

Barry
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 02:17 PM

Now I'm not one to call BS on somebody just because they write something I don't like, and they seem to be bashing Mexico by using supposedly real events.

What I like to do in these situations is reviews a members past posts, and see if there is any negative bashing of Mexico or trolling. This is very easy to do with BajaNixon's posts, because he only has 50 here, but it appears he is also a member of another Baja desert racing forum, but I didn't review those posts, but there is nothing in BajaNixon's past that indicates that he is a Mexican basher, or isn't playing with a full deck.

I believe he sincerely believes this incident happened to his son, and it may have indeed happened, and may even be an isolated incident. Now for "Nomad" members, we don't know BajaNixon's son, and there is no way to judge him other than to believe his father, who says his son is a good boy, and doesn't use drugs. Although it sure looks like his son is a party boy up in Squid Row at 1:30am and probably drinking?

Sometimes parents are the last to know about their children's private life or if they do drugs. I myself was shocked to learn that all my children at one time were into recreational drugs use at parties and clubs of at least marijuana and perhaps something stronger! ( I have great kids, two are either law school graduates or college graduates) I remember reading up on another adult children of another banned member from Nomads, and his son openly talked about "Mushrooms" and I'm not talking about the ones you put on salads. If a kid isn't abusing alcohol, and at least smoking weed, they may be lying to you.

According to the US State Department there is "no advisory is in effect," in Cabo San Lucas and La Paz, and should be considered very safe for Americans to travel to Cabo.

What BajaNixon talked about his son getting hijacked by cops with a gun to his head, and then robbed is not the typical behavior of even corrupt Mexican cops.

The question you have to ask is why would any corrupt Mexican cops do that to an American tourist, when most likely the American tourist is going to file a police complaint, especially if he is left without a cent?

The way Mexican cops usually work, and this has happened to me in Tijuana a few times is. The corrupt cops ask you a series of questions after looking in your wallet and seeing how much money you have. They ask you want you're doing in Mexico, and what you do for a living. They try to gauge how much they could steal from you, without you being so outraged that you would complain about them. They rarely will take all your money from you wallet, because if they do you're more likely to file a complaint against them.

Now rateros and Mexican gang bangers do prey on drunk or weak looking gringos exiting from bars who are unaware of their surroundings. Corrupt Mexican cops also look for illegal activity of their victims, because they know their tourist victims are unlikely to file a complaint against them.

But I would like to stress this type of corrupt Mexican cop activity is way way down in Tijuana, and probably happens very little in Cabo. BTW I don't really like Cabo, because it reminds me too much of Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles, with those high prices to match, but I love the weather in Cabo in the winter months and it's not that far away by plane, and so I visit about every other year. Again Cabo is very safe, and there is no advisory in effect at all in Cabo.

If BajaNixon wants to give his talk about traveling in Mexico to see the grey whales, that's great. But if he feels differently now, that's OK too. Mexico had about 20,000 million visitors the last two years, and one negative story about Mexico is going to break or make Mexico.

I want to make it clear. I'm not bashing or calling BajaNixon or his son a liar. I'm just saying what he reported isn't typically reported, and I'm looking at the big picture and what I know that typically happens in these kind of cases. And for us, it's just another second hand report, and we may not have all the facts.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
they seldom come ashore, so their "status" or possession of documents is moot.

Ohh yeah...it all comes back now....the wet feet...er...fins...dry fins thing that was first put in place for the Cubans. :light:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
I want to make it clear. I'm not bashing or calling BajaNixon or his son a liar. I'm just saying what he reported isn't typically reported, and I'm looking at the big picture and what I know that typically happens in these kind of cases. And for us, it's just another second hand report, and we may not have all the facts.

What I think, unmentioned until now, is that personal opinions, based on nothing but feeding frenzy emotion, should be kept to oneself. How is a parent supposed to feel when bringing a story of his son's potentially tragic encounter with anybody, and basically being called a liar?
To make matters worse, he's being given up for the sake of a Cabo image.
Those here who find a good fit with that shoe should be ashamed of yourselves.
The tragedy that is American Solidarity strikes again.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 03:31 PM

Follow the tips I posted above and things will happen. If they were imposters, there are going to be legions of peeed-off cops, The Ministerio Publico and feds after them. Arms are going to be twisted, threats made, yelling, stamping and slamming. You want justice? There pretty much isn't any other way to get it down here.

I am not implying Cabo Cops pulled off such a stunt. What I am implying is by jumping through the hoops, the kid will start enough uproar to get things done. Now if the kids shies away from doing it, then there may be more to this than meets the eye. Didn't spend a decade as a Deputy Sheriff supervisor (reserves) for nothing. Let us see what happens, or not.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 03:51 PM

how about deputy reserve dawg mosey on down to cabo and strike fear in the hearts of law enforcement, you know, like in tecate!:lol:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 04:11 PM

Never paid one centavo of mordida in 49 years willi boy. Not even in Mexico where the city cops are nasty.

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
has he asked you to "send money" because "the cops" took all of his?

:lol::lol:

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Never paid one centavo of mordida in 49 years willi boy. Not even in Mexico where the city cops are nasty.
who said anything about mordida? dont you claim to "play those jerks like a 12 string"? im just suggesting send the master down there to clean up the town!;D
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
There is nothing worse in this world than cops committing armed robbery upon people on the street. Nothing worse.

I can think of a chitload of worse things than being robbed at gunpoint by the cops. Having one's head chopped off and thrown on the dancefloor to send a message comes to mind.

http://www.periodistasenlinea.org/modules.php?op=modload&...

Or perhaps the last moments of Mohammar Gadhafi's life-- you know, the part of getting a knife shoved up his rectum while he was still alive--would also qualify, in my view.

That's not to undermine the seriousness of what happened to this kid, but let's not get too carried away with hyperbole.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 05:55 PM

Only a fool would look for trouble. Learning how to handle what comes what may is perhaps the best method. There are an overwhelming number of people who get mistreated and then like a whipped dog, run for the border. And perhaps an equal number of people who seem to feel slighted (not this case though) and then scream even though they are guilty of breaking the law.

I had a couple of Cabo's finest inquire of me if I was "borracho" because I was weaving when I walked. (2011). I told them "tengo disibilidad". The passenger cop exited the squad car and helped me load groceries into my car.

But cops hitting on single people walking alone from the borracherias in early morning hours has been a Cabo San Lucas tradition for what, thirty years or more? It's almost a caricature of fable. There are other places in México where this is fact, Veracruz, and Mazatlán are a couple more. Downtown Ciudad Cancún is another place to avoid walking alone in the early morning hours.

No it does not excuse infamous behavior by the cops. But taking a leak on a deserted beach at midnight and then getting spotlighted by the cops will set a person back a hundred and fifty dollars, pesos gladly accepted.

"Why is this cop car stopping next to me?
I cannot understand a word they are saying. What does borracho mean.
Hey you can't just grab me and put me in the back seat like this.
Why did we stop here?
Man, I ain't drunk enough for this! What are you babbling?
Yeah I got my wallet
Hey! Jerk! That's my money you're taking!
They got what they wanted, now they let me go.
Might as well have pulled a gun on me"

Mexican law on public drunkenness is strict. Being drunk is defined as weaving while walking no matter how slight. You weave and slur and smell like booze you are eligible to be arrested (detener). Being arrested for being drunk is not cheap. A night in jail and a hundred or more dollars. Crooked cops will take a bite which actually serves to save the individual a night in jail and losing even more money in the deal.

It is illegal in almost all of Mexico to drink in public. Period. Exceptions, beach, bullring, etc. But not on the street.

So what was stated above is to say the least NOT CLEAR. If it was a clear robbery then put the machinery in motion. If someone broke the law, then take the lumps and grin. But crooked cops, ones who rob the innocent are un cabello de color diferente.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.