Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Orcas Attacking a Fin Whale In Bahia de La Paz
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 12:34 AM

Sorry Barry. These days I rarely find anything you write that I agree with:

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Shari knows what really happened, and frankly it is none of our business.

Barry

None of our business? What are we allowed to discuss according to your viewpoint? Please tell us when it is our business to talk about something and when it is not.

Quote:

For John to challenge her on this thread or on this board in the way that he did is childish and dangerous

Childish and dangerous? That's not supporting or reputing anything with facts. That's just your judgment based upon on your conclusions. And those that you don't agree with are childish and dangerous.

Quote:

Further, I do not see how you can come to the conclusion that "-----the business was aborted due to a lawsuit". That's pure speculation, and not based on the Court Document as I read it, nor Shari's explanation---------i.e. another mean-sprited declaration with the intent to injure.

I don't know if we're reading the same words. I believe shari stated that the she lost the lawsuit (settled out of court) and closed the business. As I recall her guide did not have the insurance coverage she expected and therefore it fell on the company to cover the costs. Please reread.

And speaking of speculation - most of your posts about a mean-spirited declaration with the intent to injure - is speculation. THAT is pure speculation. You have no idea, absolutely no idea, what were the motives for those posts. Yet you accuse the poster of the same. At least he provided a link to a document to support his thinking. What are you offering?

What I really think you're unhappy about is that this thread doesn't have the tone that you feel this forum should have. Like any reputable magazine there are stories that should be left out to meet certain standards. Well, I actually agree with that. But not in the manner you're going about.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 08:21 AM

I did not state that I closed my business because of this lawsuit...John did....there were many factors that contributed to my decision to sell and we were doing very very well at the time...the main one was I didnt feel good about whale watching anymore as there were far too many boats disturbing a very small local population of whales, Tofino was growing in a direction that I wasnt comfortable with, I was loving Baja more than Tofino and was ready to make the change to living here full time....most people know I would be happy to discuss this privately but I agree it really isnt anyone's business why I sold.

You know what bothers me most about this whole thing? Many baja lovers want to participate in the forum but are afraid to because they worry about being attacked and abused. I feel terrible that this incident will add to their fears and less people will post their thoughts, dreams, concerns etc.

The health & quality of Baja Nomads forum depends on the members and I urge people to please post their experiences so that the board is vibrant, useful and interesting. I tell them that WE the members are responsible for the “tone” of the forum and new blood would breath new life into the board.

I learn so much from the people in this sandbox and in return hope that my posts are helpful or inspiring. Many people tell me how great the information is here and how they read it every day but wouldn’t dare write anything for fear of being smeared or abused and I am ashamed that this happens. So, as much as it disturbed me personally that I was attacked…it was an attack on the Nomad community too for this is exactly the type of abuse that most people want to avoid.

So, I’m sorry all you Nomads…hopefully something positive may come of it. It would truly be a better board if this behavior was not tolerated. We all have beefs with people but here is not the place to flesh them out.

As Baja Luna said…gratitude goes a long way…so I give thanks to those of you who were brave enough to comment and to those who supported with me privately with hugs, dinner and kind words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Tofino was growing...

back in the day we used to do a lot of kayaking starting from Tofino, paddling northward through the islands up to the hot springs. really fun place for multi-day kayak trips! We always took really big tarps because it invariably rained and tarps were only way to create some dry ground to enjoy the rainy days. feasted on oysters/clams off the beach every night. yum
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

…hopefully something positive may come of it.

The lesson is that it's really unrealistic to be a presence on a public board like this for years and not expect one's past life to be examined. That's not going to happen and should be expected. Calling it evil, destructive, or a defamation is not, in my opinion, the best way to deal with it. Just present the honest facts and things move on. Hiding facts ("It's not anyone's business") does not help one's cause.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 09:41 AM

well said, Shari!! There's that old adage..."when one in the village is harmed the whole village is harmed"! And for the good of the whole, things like this should not be allowed. This place is awesome and has so much needed and valuable information for traveling in Baja, living in Baja etc and so many experienced and wise people contribute essential information out of the goodness of their hearts and their passion and love of Baja. I feel like I found a jewel in a treasure box when I found these boards, and I learn so much from all of you and I am veryyy appreciative to all of you...but sometimes the vibe of the boards keep many of us at a distance. And that's really sad because we may be loosing even more valuable information, stories, and experiences that could benefit all of us even more. The bottom line is, this kind of stuff should not be allowed or tolerated and whoever is in charge of monitoring, should not allow it, especially when there is complaints asking for their involvement. I'm all about Peace, love, and fish tacos but stuff like this really turns me off and something like this is not healthy for the overall well being of the forum or the public who happens upon these boards and truly is not in the spirit of community, IMHO! Check your STUFF at the door, and be kind to one another, we all have so much to exchange in a good way with one another!

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 09:57 AM

To try and make SOMETHING POSITIVE of this...

When I was running a hotel on the cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Michoacan I did something wholly un-Mexican: I offered four months rent for the price of three payable in advance. My kids yelled "That's Nuts (Es Loco)"

But the fact was pure math, the hotel did not rent rooms 75% of the time, far from it. The 3/4 deal was a heck of a lot better than nothing and Brenda had steady breakfast customers and Jesus sold langostas like crazy.

One day two couples arrive. Both from Canada.

They saw the offer posted on the office counter. The rented rooms for 2 nights. Unbeknownst to me they wandered around the village the following day asking about my reputation. David and spouse did not speak all that good of Spanish but Teri (Teresa) Bob's wife is Mexicana, a chilanga from Mexico City.

The next evening they came in a plunked down a wad of peso notes several inches high. "Done Deal!" they both exclaimed. "We asked a dozen people, at three stores and several enramadas (palm frond restaurants)".

Then David, explained. "I am always suspicious of folks". He whipped out a wallet with badge (Gold Shield) and I.D. "Special Investigator Revenue Canada". He went on to explain they all lived in Ottawa. In the succeeding four months we became good friends and I learned a very stout lesson...

If I want to check up on someone, especially some extraneous businessperson living in Mexico I do my homework now and once in awhile I get a nasty shock or really pleasant surprise. The local Mexicans know more, gossip more and are willing to share opinions freely.

David and spouse are hoping to come to Asuncion in October or November for a week. You'll recognize him immediately: Tall, thin, balding (don't tell him I said that!) with a meticulously groomed bright red handlebar mustache. David sells online a natural product to cure yeast infections "I have a money back guarantee - I wouldn't do business any other way".

My point is this - do not be prematurely judgmental! Nor go around depending on blind faith. There are many sides to a story. I put my faith in "la gente" for information concerning Mexico and its residents. They know this country the best - BY FAR!

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:32 AM

Back to Orcas...the seaworld of the pacific in Victoria, B.C closed in 1992 because of a death of an attendant. They forgot that the Blackfin is a predator by nature and not to be taken as a benign creature. Their whales were relocated to other aquariums until they all had premature deaths. Having lived on the north coast for many many years I have had the opportunity to see the Orcas in the wild and in a seaworld setting. The difference in the way they look and behave is shocking. The first time I was out on a fish boat and saw a pod of Orcas the skipper said "note the fins and how straight they are in the wild and then look at the ones in an aquarium."
The Vancouver aquarium still has dolphins and belugas in captivity but there is more and more a movement to eliminate this captivity.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:53 AM

I can imagine living in a glass box, being fed MRE's and seeing orcas circling the box going "Ooooooo look! Rap on the glass and see if it does something human".

One of the more humane confinements is the San Diego Zoo for terrestrial animals. Several years ago I saw a Tiger stand, stretch outrageously with tongue sticking way out and curling, and then start playing with a "tiger toy".

IMHO a well constructed animal park is a lot more humane. But for aquatic animals especially ultra-intelligent dolphins and orcas I am not at all satisfied that they can tolerate or endure any form of confinement.

To see happy, free gray whales is a treat. When proud mommas push their newborn calves over to pangas so both can be petted and ogled is quite a stirring experience. The whale population is exploding, and all humans had to do is not attempt to confine them or use them for transmission fluid additive. Thank you very much.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 01:42 PM

The best thing we can do is to not patronize Sea World and other businesses that display captive marine mammals and do what we can to educate others about the dark side of these ventures. They are in business solely to make a profit, if people are aware they will vote with their feet and these operations will cease to exist.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 02:42 PM

I'm with ya there, monoloco! I rarely go to zoo's or aquariums because of the animals in cages and I feel my money is my voice!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.