Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja - 215 Million Years Ago
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Actually it wasn't underwater---

It would seem that some of what we see today was. The hill behind my house is 6 or 700 feet high and I find small Abalone shells in the hillsides up there.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Actually it wasn't underwater---

It would seem that some of what we see today was. The hill behind my house is 6 or 700 feet high and I find small Abalone shells in the hillsides up there.

Wondering, myself, why anyone would want to store Abalone shells up there? :light: :light:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 09:45 AM

If you're talking western shoreline of Baja, i suggest you go to the CONANP thread in General Discussions and watch the 12 minute video at the top of their home page. They have a good section in it showing areas around San Quintin and El Rosario, going quite a ways inland too, and it will explain the different shorelines over the last few thousand- to few million years. There's been ice ages coming and going, and rise and fall of sea levels as well as lifting and moving of shorelines. Those abalone shells are not uncommon.

Also, if it's a hilltop, it could have been a nice place to dine and watch the sunset. On the top of Isla Requeson in Bahia Conception are ancient middens of early inhabitants thousands of years ago feasting on oysters, clams and scallops. Might want to look for worked pieces of chert (gray to red to black) that may have been chipped into sharp edges...... could be an archaeological site.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
If you're talking western shoreline of Baja, i suggest you go to the CONANP thread in General Discussions and watch the 12 minute video at the top of their home page. They have a good section in it showing areas around San Quintin and El Rosario, going quite a ways inland too, and it will explain the different shorelines over the last few thousand- to few million years. There's been ice ages coming and going, and rise and fall of sea levels as well as lifting and moving of shorelines. Those abalone shells are not uncommon.

Also, if it's a hilltop, it could have been a nice place to dine and watch the sunset. On the top of Isla Requeson in Bahia Conception are ancient middens of early inhabitants thousands of years ago feasting on oysters, clams and scallops. Might want to look for worked pieces of chert (gray to red to black) that may have been chipped into sharp edges...... could be an archaeological site.

On top of the mesa, near Bahia las Animas are plenty of shells from Indian's (and Spaniards'?) meals... Sleeping circles and shells... and those strange walls: http://vivabaja.com/109

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

On top of the mesa, near Bahia las Animas are plenty of shells from Indian's (and Spaniards'?) meals... Sleeping circles and shells... and those strange walls: http://vivabaja.com/109

Also some sleeping-circles (etc.) along the shoreline of BOLA on hill sides and tops of hills, both north and south of BOLA, and within the south part of the bay.

Barry
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.