Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  14
Author: Subject: Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:29 AM

Slow down, slow down --- seems to be what many think is the answer for Mexican Highway 1. So maybe, just maybe the speed limits should be;

Open flat areas with miles of visability ---- No change

The mountain areas south of Encinada ---- 2 to 5mph --- about the speed of one of those fully loaded semi's going uphill so you can stop as there is no room for bikes and two cars on most of those curves.

All hills where the other side cannot be seen --- 5mph --- then the head on crash with the other vehicle coming up the other side half way in your lane will not be so bad.

All flat areas with blind dips like around the Guerrero Negro area---- maybe 10 mph tops.

That would help!

Any riders riding side by side where there are cars --- bikes should be confiscated based on insufficient brains to be riding a bike. The same for those with small children aboard.

We know a few who have ridden their bikes down Highway 1 and some say it was the greatest time of their lives but they all had some close calls. This topic is argued about once a year around here and it always is the same --- round and round we go. And the courteous and not so courteous bike riders will keep on coming.

[Edited on 1-10-2014 by DianaT]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:28 AM

"You bike haters need to use common sense: pass slow moving vehicles (e.g. bikes) only when safe to do so! "
Duh. I think that is what vehicle drivers do - otherwise there would be many dead cyclists. Even better, if the cyclists used common sense and stayed off of a main highway with no shoulder, no bike lane, narrow lanes, stopped riding side by side at 5 mph greatly impeding the flow of traffic, I think we could all be happy.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:43 AM

Goat's replies are so loaded with assumptions about driver's attitudes and his stateside prejudices that he seems incapable of a specific reasoned response.

Which is too bad, because reactionary positions like his, and some of the anti-bike supporters on here make a solution impossible.

Goats position has validity only if the speed limit on every uphill grade, or in the dips, was equal to or less than that of a bicycle in that specific portion of hwy 1.

As I've said, I think that his points and philosophy are valid NOB, but NOT ON PORTIONS OF MX HWY1! How can that be so hard to get!?

Of course, how many of us have seen someone on a bike in the states riding with no hands while taking on the phone? I have several times. How many have seen said biker blow stop signs in the same position? Well, again, I have.
And when someone honked at the guy (not me) he raged at the driver and then chased him to the next stop light where he raged some more before riding on, against the red light?

Was that you, Goat?:light:

I guess my point is that not only vehicle drivers behave foolishly, and ignore others on the road with them.

And, I have a very different position when we're in a place with 12' lanes, and a 2' or 3' shoulder outboard of the fog line.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:50 AM
Right of way

A C.H.P. once told me that the part of the lane i was in belonged to me and no one else and how I chose to use it was my buisness and mine alone:yes::yes:
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 11:05 AM

I'm sure this isn't true, but it seems like the "pro-cycle" posters have never actually driven on Mex. Hwy 1. They keep posting the mantra of "slow down, drive carefully, share the road" and ignore the fact that no amount of slowing down, driving carefully and sharing the road can prevent the inevitable blind turn, oncoming truck situations that are all too numerous on that Hwy. I respect the idea of people being able to "pursue their adventures" however I resent the fact that the cyclists place all others who rightfully use that road in the position of having to make the "them or me" decision. So far I have not had to do that, but I have had some heart-stopping moments and with the number of times I drive that road I fear that the odds will catch up with me some day.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
I'm sure this isn't true, but it seems like the "pro-cycle" posters have never actually driven on Mex. Hwy 1. They keep posting the mantra of "slow down, drive carefully, share the road" and ignore the fact that no amount of slowing down, driving carefully and sharing the road can prevent the inevitable blind turn, oncoming truck situations that are all too numerous on that Hwy. I respect the idea of people being able to "pursue their adventures" however I resent the fact that the cyclists place all others who rightfully use that road in the position of having to make the "them or me" decision. So far I have not had to do that, but I have had some heart-stopping moments and with the number of times I drive that road I fear that the odds will catch up with me some day.

This!

It's as if Mt. Goat has never been on Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin or the political 'rights' of people on bikes are far greater than anyone else. In today's political popularity: The needs of the FEW outweigh the needs of the many.
As Nick and Barry have stated so well, and my feelings too, that we don't wish to deny anyone from having fun in Baja with rules, laws, orders. We just wish bike riders would be considerate of the prime users of Mex. 1 on the narrow, curved sections where avoiding a bike in their lane with oncoming traffic is IMPOSSIBLE if the bike is not seen as you go around a curve.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

my feelings too, that we don't wish to deny anyone from having fun in Baja with rules, laws, orders

Funny, that is EXACTLY what you are expressing, the
ONUS is on the drivers to pass safely, what 'Rules, Laws',
are bicyclist on Hwy 1 in Baja breaking? none. Heck I doubt
if you would give the Legal Right of Way to a mounted Vaquero
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:22 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah

Does anyone actually know what the laws are in Mexico regarding bicycles and riding on roads and highways???

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:

my feelings too, that we don't wish to deny anyone from having fun in Baja with rules, laws, orders

Funny, that is EXACTLY what you are expressing, the
ONUS is on the drivers to pass safely, what 'Rules, Laws',
are bicyclist on Hwy 1 in Baja breaking? none. Heck I doubt
if you would give the Legal Right of Way to a mounted Vaquero

None, and I wish no new laws be made.. just for the bike riders to use some COMMON SENSE. You obviously missed my comments SUPPORTING everyone's method of visiting Baja. Hwy. 1 is NOT the only way to get from north to south, either.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Does anyone actually know what the laws are in Mexico regarding bicycles and riding on roads and highways???

:lol::lol::lol:

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:01 PM

Rheannon Cunningham tucks a radio into her backpack, turns up the volume on her ear buds, climbs onto a bicycle and heads into traffic.
It takes only a few minutes before a car on Airport Boulevard near the Mueller development passes too close to Cunningham, an officer with the Austin Police Department.
She alerts a nearby patrol car, which zips out of a parking lot and pulls the offending driver over for violating the city’s safe-passing ordinance.
Under the ordinance, enacted in 2009, motorists must allow at least 3 feet of clearance when passing vulnerable road users such as bicyclists, construction workers and pedestrians.
Heavy trucks must allow at least 6 feet.
Because it’s hard to enforce safe passing on a day-to-day basis, Austin police set up special operations like this one to watch for violations. Today’s is the sixth such operation, and more are planned.
“It’s part of our initiative to make Austin streets a safer place to ride a bicycle,” says Austin Police Sgt. James Dixon, who is heading the day’s effort. “It’s really important that we educate people that we are out here and going to enforce this whenever we can for safety.”
Typically, two undercover officers head out on bikes. They ride single file up and down a short stretch of road, waiting for motorists to pass. Officers in patrol cars pull over those who get too close, issuing warnings or citations based on the severity of the violation.
Before they hit the streets, the undercover cyclists practice judging the 3-foot distance by setting up a pole and riding past it. They measure the distance from the end of the handlebar to the farthest part of vehicle — usually the mirror. GoPro video cameras mounted on the bike record everything.
“If I were riding along and could reach out and touch the mirror, those get a citation,” says Cunningham, who was a cyclist before she became a police officer. “If it’s one we feel is right on the cusp, we give a warning.”
In the nearly four years since the law went into effect, officers have written 104 citations and warnings for people

violating it, according to Cmdr. Fred Fletcher with the Austin Police Department. A ticket costs $167, but and violators can take a defensive cycling class at Municipal Court in lieu of paying the fine.
Police target roads that don’t have bike lanes, but connect to popular cycling routes. So far they’ve worked stretches of Oltorf Street, Cesar Chavez Street, Martin Luther King Boulevard, Airport Boulevard, South Lamar Boulevard and Pleasant Valley Road.
“Most people say they didn’t know the law,” Cunningham says. Others know the law, but say they didn’t realize they were passing so closely. Some argue that bicyclists shouldn’t be on the road at all, and a few break into tears.
“They think it’s unfair and ridiculous what we’re doing to them,” says Austin police officer James Williams, who is pedaling alongside Cunningham today.
As the officers roll along the street’s narrow shoulder, most cars move out of the lane to pass. But not all. The driver of the first car that’s pulled over uses a false name and has outstanding traffic warrants. She’s taken into custody.
The team then moves its operation to South Lamar Boulevard, where traffic whizzes up and down the bustling street. Three minutes in, Cunningham radios in her first violation. When patrol officer Steven Constable pulls over driver Toni Manning, she’s apologetic.
“I know about (the 3-foot passing law), but didn’t see (the cyclists) until the last minute,” Manning says after Constable writes her a ticket. “I regret it. I don’t want anyone getting hurt out here. I feel terrible.”
The patrol cars take turns pulling over violators, and the pace is brisk.
The driver of a Ford F-150 passes the cyclists, then zips into a Sonic Drive-In. He’s surprised when an officer pulls in next to him and issues a warning.
“It’s not that I wasn’t aware (of the 3-foot passing law), I just didn’t see them,” says Kirby Green. “When it’s not enough room, it’s going to be you or the cyclist.... I’ll share the road, but wish they’d be a little more careful.”
The motorists aren’t the only ones getting noticed during the sting. When the officers see a cyclist riding the wrong way in the bike lane on South Lamar Boulevard, they pull him over, too.
“I wasn’t doing what I should be doing, which is going the right way,” says Jeremy Sweetlamb, who is biking downtown to teach an improvisation class. “I don’t want to be a nuisance and I don’t want to get in someone’s way.”
He gets a warning, but when he finds out why the police officers are out, he nods his approval. He’s been passed too closely while riding his bicycle more than once.
“People honk and go around, then they gun their engine to show you how annoyed they are,” Sweetlamb says.
While some motorists — especially those who have never ridden a bike — might be annoyed by the operation, the officers say handing out a ticket is better than working an accident.
“I have four-and-a-half years on patrol and can’t tell you how many times I’ve responded to a vehicle hitting a bicyclist,” Constable says.
If the sting does what it’s intended to do, he’ll be getting fewer of those calls in the future.
Contact Pam LeBlanc at 512-445-3994.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Cyclist need to be road aware. Certain parts of Mex1 are suited for two trucks and bike aligned side-by-side.
When I'm towing my boat on Mex1, my trailer tires need every inch of the road. If it comes down to me, my boat, the oncoming 18 wheeler or a cyclist.... you can bet on the loser in that scenario.

Why not wait to pass bicyclist when no oncoming vehicle is in other lane? Do you try to pass slower autos when oncoming vehicle occupies other lane? You bike haters need to use common sense: pass slow moving vehicles (e.g. bikes) only when safe to do so!

take it easy man. don't blow a fuse. I drive carefully and give trucks and bikers their 'right of way'. Unfortunately, over the past 5 years I find myself in situations where my speed is not at fault. It's the combination two wide signature vehicles that need pavement and one cyclist that doesn't.

So before you get all twisted and jump on your bike for the santo tomas pass... you will most likely not survive the encounter whether you are in the 'right' or 'not'. So do yourself a favor and be more visible.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:11 PM

Quote:

It's as if Mt. Goat has never been on Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin or the political 'rights' of people on bikes are far greater than anyone else. In today's political popularity: The needs of the FEW outweigh the needs of the many.

How the h*ll did politics get involved? That statement makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Politics? please. :?:
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:30 PM

Perhaps "legal rights" would have been a better choice. I believe that makes more sense in the context.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

How the h*ll did politics get involved? That statement makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Politics? please. :?:

I don't know about you, Diana, but this subject and politics seem intricately intertwined to me. Those who appear to, or actually do, lean-left seem to more often champion the "rights" of the few over the rights of the many. To me, that's all that was said above.

I saw this almost daily for years in my LE career in the foumulation of laws-------laws being made to accomodate or punish the few which end up punishing the many--------and it drives me nuts.

Barry
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:57 PM

ditto, Diane! I was wondering the same thing.

islandbuilder, I agree...legal rights makes more sense!

Bicycling through Baja would be awesome and I am respectful of people wanting to do that but such a hazard for everyone on that road.

Slowing down is a no-brainer...but the roads are narrow, no bike lane, dangerous curves, cars and semi trucks driving high speed, people willing to push the limits in their vehicles and take risks passing, and people on your ass....leaves not much margin for error. It's the perfect storm.

dangerous and scary!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:07 PM

"I saw this almost daily for years in my LE career in the formulation of laws-------laws being made to accommodate or punish the few which end up punishing the many--------and it drives me nuts."

Hear ya loud and clear ...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
"I saw this almost daily for years in my LE career in the formulation of laws-------laws being made to accommodate or punish the few which end up punishing the many--------and it drives me nuts."

But the subject of riding bikes on Highway 1 has nothing to do with politics or right now, even legal rights. IT IS LEGAL.

And people wanting to serve the few, IMHO, are today, the right leaning Tea Party Rebuplicans --- they are only interested in protecting a few and ignoring the masses.

So it makes NO sense to tie any of this to politics because both sides of the political spectrum are seeing the same thing for the other side.

Besides, I see people arguing for and against the riding of bikes in Baja who are on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. So someone bringing in politics is simply trolling, as usual.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

But the subject of riding bikes on Highway 1 has nothing to do with politics or right now, even legal rights. IT IS LEGAL.

And people wanting to serve the few, IMHO, are today, the right leaning Tea Party Rebuplicans --- they are only interested in protecting a few and ignoring the masses.

So it makes NO sense to tie any of this to politics because both sides of the political spectrum are seeing the same thing for the other side.

Besides, I see people arguing for and against the riding of bikes in Baja who are on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. So someone bringing in politics is simply trolling, as usual.

i think the average biker leans a bit more leftward than the average cager,...
so, ya, it's sort of a political thing
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:48 PM

Diana----------it is not political to you, but it IS to me, but your points are relavant from your point of view, I am sure..

By the way, Senor Goat, what is a "cager"? :lol:

Barry
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.