Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja Nomad OP/ED
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:21 AM

Then again, could we just be getting older, grumpier, and more cynical? Folks will always find something to gripe about, but I actually think that in many ways, things have gotten better around here, sure there's more people, but we have access to more goods and services, better healthcare, more art and culture, better roads and safer highways, better communications, better restaurants, and more diverse activities.

Yeah...what he said.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:52 AM

Vagabundo, thanks for that. Answers a lot of my questions about me and the way I am. I'm not just confused, I'm stupid. Blameless!!

Unless you think that only religious early teaching was stultifying and not the things that follow.

You're taking on a lot of weight. Somebody will chime in now and tell us you are brave, unafraid, firm in your thinking. Then somebody will say you are one arrogant SOB. And so it goes.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 12:04 PM

It's ironic to me that while some of us here are complaining about the lack of civility, there has been over 12,500 views of the "Jihad Salman is a Stinky , Fat, Pussy Coward" thread. :?: I guess there's nothing more fascinating than watching a train wreck.

[Edited on 4-4-2015 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 12:28 PM

Yes.
And you access in the set-up when you start your account.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
if I can veer off for a sec, how do these facebook groups work, can members be blocked or hidden?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 12:50 PM

Some people are stupid, I'm certainly not including you, Osprey, in that lot, as I'm not suggesting the differences in brain function necessarily means that someone is stupid. We seem to be using our brains in different ways. The result seems somewhat predictable. In the 'information age' ignorance is a choice. I judge that at the level of core issues, the twenty-first century has run headlong into a species which seems to have had a breath-taking evolution to primacy as the smartest beast on the planet. I like Dawkins' argument (in the God Delusion) that at least some Bronze and Iron age warrior cultures found (Darwinian) survival value in sharing a creation myth in common. These old superstitions die hard. Our species has developed the means to annihilate itself, absolutely, from the planet while clinging to the blind belief that everything will go just to plan if we don't displease the gods. There are LOTS more extinct species than those that have survived. Man's inability to put aside his warrior nature and belief in myth and magic, before he had created the tools to literally kill everyone, has put mankind in jeopardy. It is only natural, it seems to me, that there will be disharmony and discord as the planet polarizes between people who insist on seeing the future with reason and logic opposing those who seem to still want to force the age of dinosaurs into a 6000 year creation myth. I don't predict that it will be logic which has the most guns and bombs at the end. :(

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:05 PM

... speaking of the creation of the universe ... which we weren't
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:18 PM
Well said

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

I think you have hit on one of the "turn-offs" for some of us.
I am a devout Christian with strong beliefs, but I do not use this forum to try and convert any of you.

Those who hold contrary beliefs seem to be manic in their continual rants against God, creation, Christianity, etc.

After I read a few of those I just fold up the site, and later when I return discover that I need to log back in due to inactivity.

Just saying....
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
It's ironic to me that while some of us here are complaining about the lack of civility, there has been over 12,500 views of the "Jihad Salman is a Stinky , Fat, Pussy Coward" thread. :?: I guess there's nothing more fascinating than watching a train wreck.

Don't believe everything you read, that Jihad thread in the OT, has been manipulated, about 8000 of those hits came over night, somebody was playing around trying to pump up those numbers, for weird reasons. Although some threads in the OT do get a good number of views.

Since I'm here in this thread, I might as well comment.

I agree with Cortez Blue's niece, with what she said about Arizona, in a more general sense, because Arizona has been a hostile place for people Latinos, Mexican undocumented workers, Blacks, and gays, especially with that crazy Governor, and crazier Sheriff, that goes by the name of Sheriff Joe.

I don't know if there is a conservative, liberal, or even a gay gene, but what I do know, is when you get older, the more conservative you become. I'm very liberal, but compared to my kids, I'm an ultra conservative, who watches too much "Fox News, I actually watch Fox news for kicks, and laughs.

Many older "Baja Nomad" are from the free love age, where lots of hippies were around, now look at some of you, many of you are ultra conservative, and a far cry than how you were in the 1960's.

The best thing is to not to discuss religion or politics on a Baja forums, unless you want to get into a heated debate. There is a reason why there are no political forums anywhere, with both liberals and conservatives. You either get right-wing forums, or left wing-forums. From time to time, you get general forums like "Baja Nomad" that has a political forum, and that's usually where are the fireworks are, along with all the problems.

Facebook, is like being in High school again, and seeing how popular you are. It's not hard news, and it's very hard to navigate Facebook and search old posts, but who wants to search old posts? You go to Facebook, for social interaction with close friends, and family, and to show photos of your latest trip or photos of babies.

Watch Facebook, they care nothing about your privacy and even after you close Facebook, the Facebook cookies track everything you do. I believe Facebook is one of the most evil companies in the world today, although Facebook can be fun or even addicting.

[Edited on 4-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:38 PM

Wonderful....Every now and then, a thread comes to life on Nomad that turns into a mind-cleansing garbage disposal. Then, it dies.
Hey Joe.....they're gonna start talking about you over on Baja Y Mas. It's starting to lean toward the hate-mongering side of town, and who's more hateful than you? You are the patron saint of grime and filth.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:38 PM

Time for me to retreat, get the hell gone from this lofty discussion -- might as well admit it, this stuff is way over my paygrade. I don't think I've ever even known anyone who actually read Frank Darwin.

Maybe time for me to give up my false idols and learn, finally (very near the end of my string) what I shoulda known all along.

I'll be lurkin' and learnin'.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 02:06 PM

Stick around. We still love ya. BTW ......is Frank Darwin related to Gus Christ? Maybe the same celibate mommy. I dunno.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 03:00 PM

Just as big a turn off, when its all one sides fault. The blame game. Those who hold contrary beliefs seem to be manic in their continual rants for God, creation, christianity, etc

Best to stay away from religious and political discussions on a special nterest frum anyway. Look what has happened to this thread.

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

I think you have hit on one of the "turn-offs" for some of us.
I am a devout Christian with strong beliefs, but I do not use this forum to try and convert any of you.

Those who hold contrary beliefs seem to be manic in their continual rants against God, creation, Christianity, etc.

After I read a few of those I just fold up the site, and later when I return discover that I need to log back in due to inactivity.

Just saying....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 03:12 PM

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"Most people do not listen with the intent to UNDERSTAND.

Most people listen with the intent to REPLY."

.............. Stephen R. Covey

Food for thought.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 03:31 PM

hey I don't know anything about any of this, but ever notice how peaceful it is around here without Special K! :yes:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 03:36 PM

hey I don't know anything about any of this, but ever notice how peaceful it is around here without Special K! :yes:

Hey I am only here to teach, to share, and set people on the correct path. I am the reason that Nomad is here!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 03:56 PM

The question was about why discussions on this forum become contentious, and why people express strong views. I'm saying that the disagreements stem from core values that people hold. Without discussing those core values, I don't think we get to much understanding of why the arguments get heated. That it is inappropriate to acknowledge religion as foundational to some folks world view seems to limit the argument. And, I'm really not in the mood for an argument. I don't have anything to convert anyone to. I'm feeling sucked into a vortex, sorry, I'm leaving this alone.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 04:07 PM

It was fun while it lasted ... and thanks for that ... :):)

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Wonderful....Every now and then, a thread comes to life on Nomad that turns into a mind-cleansing garbage disposal. Then, it dies.
Hey Joe.....they're gonna start talking about you over on Baja Y Mas. It's starting to lean toward the hate-mongering side of town, and who's more hateful than you? You are the patron saint of grime and filth.

Plus I got this "keeper" .... :lol::lol:

SF 20+

And "slimy" rhymes with "grime" ... WOW :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-4-2015 by wessongroup]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Well, I don't think he's fat:saint:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Hey I am only here to teach, to share, and set people on the correct path. I am the reason that Nomad is here!

And there is no drought in San Diego nor is the ocean rising:light:

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

And there is no drought in San Diego nor is the ocean rising:light:

Nice pigpile. Feel better now?
Its awesome how some of you marooons trash someone that tries to help newbs.
So f'ing what if he throws up some maps, big deal.
I for one appreciate it.
Lifes simple,
Stop making it hard on yourselves.

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.