BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: TECATE Businessmen, YOU have a PROBLEM!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Mostly roadkill.....

Good....it's great to see you recycling and doing your bit to manage waste while keeping the CO2 factor balanced ;D

I once smuggled an orange from Baja into the US at Al Godones.....

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 02:31 PM

Al Godones? Dint you used to date his sister?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Al Godones? Dint you used to date his sister?

You're thinking of Godones Gracious, the big-boned one. :O

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 04:14 PM

Thas her....She was hangin with Motoged....

churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 10:05 PM

We were in Tacate over the weekend... No Problema
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2015 at 10:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by churro  
We were in Tacate over the weekend... No Problema

ONE IN A ROW !!
Problem solved, end of thread.

(Boy Howdy, were you lucky... you weren't towing an RV, perhaps?)

86 - 45*

bombero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 06:34 AM
Tecate

During my last trip at Tecate, I too saw the man across the check station, on the corner with a cell phone. He looked right at me and was talking to someone.Less than 3 blocks later a motorcycle cop was on a side street and pulled in besides me. I made every stop and was very careful about my speed. After 5-6 blocks he pulled in front of me and turned right down a street. Two blocks later he was I saw him coming up from a side street. He followed me again until I was almost out of town. I,m am sure he was the one several years ago that followed me into the big Pemex station at the south end of Tecate. As I was getting fuel he said I had not stopped at a stop sign, I argued with him as the female station attendant looked on. He finally walked away and left. On many trips south at Tecate have have seen US plated vehicles on the side of the road with Policia vehicles. I went thru San Diego last trip and will also use Otay. I was turned back at Tecate last year for have dry dog food with meat products. I don,t care to use Tecate for a port on entry again.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 07:21 AM

I always cross at Tecate northbound and southbound. I've been through there at least 75 times, probably more. I've been checked out at the border southbound a number of times transporting all sorts of stuff without issue. I don't pay much attention to my speed and I stop at the stop signs that the locals stop at. I've been pulled over once at the southern end of town just past the Pemex because my trailer lights weren't working (they weren't). I told the officer I would get them fixed as soon as I got to Ensenada, he said that would be a good idea. He said the fine was 500 pesos, I said ok, even better, I'll get them fixed in Tecate after I pay my fine at the station. He insisted that I could pay it there and be on my way, I insisted on paying at the station. He let me go with a reminder to drive safely and don't forget to fix those lights. I guess everyone doesn't run afoul of the law in Tecate...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 07:21 AM

There are other threads documenting the multiple times we have been pulled over in Tecate: speeding (when we weren't); running a stop sign (which we didn't); having dogs in the cab of the truck (which we did, but which isn't against any law we could be shown). After two decades of crossing three times a year in Tecate, and getting stopped more often than not, in March we decided to try Tijuana. There, our truck/camper was put through a drive-through X-Ray upon entering the country, while we and our dogs stood by and waited. No one blinked at the heavily loaded camper, full of food and #300 of kibble. Everyone smiled and we drove away. What a pleasant experience! And the new connector to the road south is great. No more driving thru TJ.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 07:31 AM

If you spend any time in the expatriate communities, you will hear stories about getting hit up for mordida in Tecate. It is very much like it was for awhile in Constitution. I have heard stories at dinner parties in Punta Chivato, stories related while visiting friends in Mulege, common stories in San Bruno, but that is where the originator of this thread lives, and San Lucas Cove was ripe with stories this winter. So I think it is safe to assume that there is some problem with a few cops that are doing their best to pick up mordida when the opportunity presents itself. It is a well known fact that criminals know how to read their victims and know pretty much which one is more likely to succumb to their shakedown. I have a friend who was hit up 4 times in just a couple of years time.

So here is my suggestion. Start taking pictures the second you get pulled over. The few bad cops who are doing this do not want to give out their name or number and are going to freak out if you pull out a cell phone or a camera. I did that and started laughing about doing a "selfie" and he disappeared immediately. He started to tell me it was illegal to do that but I told him I had checked with the chief of police and was told it was OK.

If one considers the dampening effect this is having on law enforcement in the areas north of the border, you can imagine the effect will not be much different south of the border.

CopaMom

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 09:07 PM

Newbie here... we are driving to Ensenada in a few days, and were planning on cutting through at Tecate (coming from Phoenix). After reading this thread... it's sounding like it may be in our best interest to forget this short cut and just drive to San Diego and enter Mexico at Tijuana. Is that what is recommended? We have entered Mexico at Sonoita (to go to Puerto Penasco) and have never had a problem there. I am saddened to see the problems Americans have just trying to cross the border :(
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 09:27 PM

Welcome to Nomads CopaMom.
I don't think it matters much where you cross, you will hear stories good and bad for any of them. Cross wherever is convenient for you, drive at a reasonable speed, stop at the stop signs and try not to look like a victim (although I don't know what one looks like). Smile and wave a lot and have fun. Post a trip report when you return....

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 09:46 PM

Just a hint; don't make eye-contact. Watch for any and all stops in Tecate, the locals will 'slow down' (Mexican STOP) but, make sure you do a complete stop. There's 9 or 10 of them as you go through town, so keep eyes peeled, go sloooow, and you'll be fine. Don't be intimidated. If pulled over, do the camera/phone trick. Tecate is a wonderful shortcut, go for it, and if anything you'll have a new story to tell (hopefully not). Have a good trip, and quit worrying.

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 02:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I don't think it matters much where you cross, you will hear stories good and bad for any of them. Cross wherever is convenient for you, drive at a reasonable speed, stop at the stop signs and try not to look like a victim (although I don't know what one looks like). Smile and wave a lot and have fun. Post a trip report when you return....

Ditto!

IF you do get pulled over, and specially if you are certain you didn't break any traffic laws, DO NOT PAY THE POLICEMAN. He will try and scare you by saying the fines are very high and it will be best to let him have a lesser amount, but they have real rules down there and traffic fines are low if you did break a rule.

If, after a polite exchange and your firmness to not pay the cop, agree to go to the station and see the judge... The cop will let you go there or, as you are following him to the police station, he will pull over and return your license and send you on your way so he can find easier prey.

It is the culture still with some, that once you get a job with authority, lining your pockets is your economic benefit. They are trying to change this and most of us on Nomad do not have any confrontation with police.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 05:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Just a hint; don't make eye-contact. Watch for any and all stops in Tecate, the locals will 'slow down' (Mexican STOP) but, make sure you do a complete stop. There's 9 or 10 of them as you go through town, so keep eyes peeled, go sloooow, and you'll be fine. Don't be intimidated. If pulled over, do the camera/phone trick. Tecate is a wonderful shortcut, go for it, and if anything you'll have a new story to tell (hopefully not). Have a good trip, and quit worrying.

Good advice about the eye contact. When I go through the crossing if the light is green I drive ahead without looking over at the border agents. If they want me to stop bad enough they will walk out and wave me over. Same with the cops, if you see one hanging out somewhere don't make eye contact but in every case of dealing with any of them smile and be polite.

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Dashcam

https://www.buydashcampro.com/?mid=6392468

Bajaguy

Have you personally ordered from this company and used this cam??

thanks /kc
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 08:38 AM

Kacey - Can't remember where I purchased mine, but it is exactly like the one in the link. It works great for me. I purchased a 16GB card and it was good to go. I'm sure if you look at Amazon you can find a selection. I like the one in the link due to it's night view capabilities.....and I normally drive with the screen folded up.

Quote: Originally posted by KaceyJ  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Dashcam

https://www.buydashcampro.com/?mid=6392468

Bajaguy

Have you personally ordered from this company and used this cam??

thanks /kc
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

They are trying to change this and most of us on Nomad do not have any confrontation with police.

OOPS,
Must have missed your survey, when you say most Nomads do not have confrontations with police, is that like 51 % or ????
Maybe you could post a link to that survey so I may participate :lol:
Now lets get off Fantasy Island and on with Tecate.
We love Tecate, the friends, the weather, the food, the city and countryside. That being said it runs a close second to Tijuana on police confrontation for this family.
Watch your driving habits because if you slip expect to be noticed there.
Besides the previously mentioned watch out situations one great trap is as you pass the fire station at the rail road tracks before you make the turn into the border crossing no return road. The speed limit is reduced to a snails pace right in front of the station and even though the local traffic is speeding towards the three way stop sign and then rolling it, don't you step outta line.
If they are there your getting pulled over.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:37 AM

Well Baja Rat, with thousands of Nomads, hundreds of posters, many seeking drama, there are just so few reports for police shakedowns lately. Plus, with the new police and federal officers being so polite and working by the book (per posts on Nomad), it seems the bribe takers are just old school. The incidents in Ciudad Constitucion and Tecate being the two major problem towns... but following the Constitucion reports here 3-4 years ago... I traveled through that city twice, and did not see one cop (mid day). I did make sure to stop t each stop sign (count to 3) and red light, as I do here in the USA, too.

I have been a 'victim' in both Tijuana and Ensenada... back in the 1970's and 1980's. A Tecate cop pulled me over the first time we found that there was a new border access road and was going towards it the wrong way (2002?). I talked to him and he let us go, even though I was briefly on a one way street, the wrong way (no signage seen by me).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:47 AM

Don't make eye contact? Uh, why not? And who ever said eye contact is not a good thing -- like culturally it's considered a challenge? I didn't get that message.

If there's a cop catty corner or diagonally across an intersection from me, I ignore him. If he's across the street looking at me as I pass, I wave and give a peace sign. I'm usually laughing when I do that. Just how I am and my opinion.

Any comment about ''going to the station'' needs to be tempered with the ''other'' side of what can happen at the station.

That kind of advice is an OPINION from someone who might not have much experience in MX or thinks they have it dialed in -- and it seems to make sense. Go to the station, plead your case, and you'll be treated fairly. That may or may NOT be the case, folks.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.