Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: GMOs
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 03:43 PM

An excellent summary on GMO's:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/201...

Unhealthy Fixation

The war against genetically modified organisms is full of fearmongering, errors, and fraud. Labeling them will not make you safer
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  

Bajarat, with all due respect, I know I need to eat everyday and I'm competing with 5 billion other people for food (FIVE BILLION).

wtf. Are you implying there's 2.3 BILLION 'breatherians' that walk amongst us!!??

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock/

(1 MILLION (NET!) additional humans turn up on this planet every 4.5-5 days)
Enjoy it while we can.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by bezzell]
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

I'm pro science. Follow the evidence no matter where it leads.

+1

As a scientist with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and 20+ years in medical and biotechnology research, I've never seen any credible research to back up the anti-GMO claims.

GMO concerns are mostly a first-world problem for wealthy folk who suffer from overeating and obesity rather than starvation. For poor people in areas such as sub-Saharan Africa, drought- and disease-resistant GMO crops mean the difference between life and death. In that respect, Monsanto saves more lives than the Red Cross.

That said, I support labeling GMO products as such. Why not?

WTF
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  

Bajarat, with all due respect, I know I need to eat everyday and I'm competing with 5 billion other people for food (FIVE BILLION).

wtf. Are you implying there's 2.3 BILLION 'breatherians' that walk amongst us!!??

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock/

(1 MILLION (NET!) additional humans turn up on this planet every 4.5-5 days)
Enjoy it while we can.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by bezzell]

Global population is decreasing according to US Census

worldgr.gif - 10kB
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

That chart refers to growth rate (i.e. how fast the population is growing). The population is still growing, just at a slower rate.

In an absolute sense, a very large population growing at a slower rate is just as impactful as a small population growing at a faster rate.

WTF
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:07 AM

The interesting thing about that chart is that it may show the impact of the birth control pill on population growth rates. The Pill was introduced in the 1960's.

WTF
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

I'm pro science. Follow the evidence no matter where it leads.

+1

As a scientist with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and 20+ years in medical and biotechnology research, I've never seen any credible research to back up the anti-GMO claims.

GMO concerns are mostly a first-world problem for wealthy folk who suffer from overeating and obesity rather than starvation. For poor people in areas such as sub-Saharan Africa, drought- and disease-resistant GMO crops mean the difference between life and death. In that respect, Monsanto saves more lives than the Red Cross.

That said, I support labeling GMO products as such. Why not?

You haven't seen research testing that show harmful affects of GMO because FDA does not require testing of GMO foods which is the issue of concern. Why not?

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/five-ways-fda-has-fail...

While internationally people are calling for GMO research and testing to be required by the FDA instead of "voluntary consulting".

There is a body of research that shows that some GMOs do cause health issues, obviously one must take each on a case by case basis.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/prop37/pages/67/attach...
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

WTF!!? That's growth RATE.
ye gods man! No wonder you're on the same page as Snr Shell Island re climate. (The brain is fueled by GLUCOSE. SUGAR!!) Eat copious amounts of whole plant-based SUGAR! just sayin' :tumble:

You have any idea what the graph looks like re 8000BC - 1950 ??

wow
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

WTF!!? That's growth RATE.
ye gods man!

I was kinda thinking the same thing but didn't want to be rude. If one doesn't understand the simple mathematical concept of change versus rate of change, then one is probably not equipped to delve into deeper scientific concepts and issues without be highly vulnerable to misleading information and propaganda.

It's important to know what you know, but it's equally important to know what you don't know.

WTF
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 07:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  

I've recently read that the GMO Monsanto seeds that produce plants that are resistant to Roundup and therefore allows farmers to spray Roundup directly on the crops is resulting in food that contains the active ingredient of Roundup in amounts that exceed allowable limits and therefore is illegal to sell. To fix this problem the FDA raised allowable limits.

Does this concern you?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 07:43 PM

NO.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 07:44 PM

"I've never seen any credible research to back up the anti-GMO claims."
You must have your head in the sand.

Farmers are now using more pesticides than a decade ago.
GMO corn has far less nutrition than non-GMO.
GM crop pollen affects insects and other wildlife
Monsanto should not be allowed to poison the earth for profit any longer.

Teach the people in poor countries how to farm sustainably and responsibly. BILLIONS of dollars are given to poor countries - make it count. Hand-outs are not the answer.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/gmos/reportsandpublications/...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 07:46 PM

Me Neither....

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 07:34 AM

From the National Institute of Health:

"Upon the introduction of herbicide tolerant genetically modified organisms (GMOs), designed to tolerate Roundup and to accumulate unusual levels of its residues, Roundup quickly became the major pesticide in the world and a major food or feed contaminant [10]."

"Roundup was among the most toxic herbicides and insecticides tested. Most importantly, 8 formulations out of 9 were up to one thousand times more toxic than their active principles. Our results challenge the relevance of the acceptable daily intake for pesticides because this norm is calculated from the toxicity of the active principle alone. Chronic tests on pesticides may not reflect relevant environmental exposures if only one ingredient of these mixtures is tested alone."

"It is commonly believed that Roundup is among the safest pesticides. This idea is spread by manufacturers, mostly in the reviews they promote [39, 40], which are often cited in toxicological evaluations of glyphosate-based herbicides. However, Roundup was found in this experiment to be 125 times more toxic than glyphosate. Moreover, despite its reputation, Roundup was by far the most toxic among the herbicides and insecticides tested. This inconsistency between scientific fact and industrial claim may be attributed to huge economic interests, which have been found to falsify health risk assessments and delay health policy decisions [41]."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955666/
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 08:13 AM

If you can believe the anti-GMO literature, it's amazing that we're all still alive.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 10:12 AM

"If you can believe the anti-GMO literature, it's amazing that we're all still alive."
Or you're not eating a lot of GMO corn and soybeans, and using GMO-tainted corn oil, etc. We have choices in supermarkets, which is why some people eat organic, and why it is IMPORTANT TO LABLE GMO foods, read labels and know where our food is coming from. We may be alive, but the earth is dying, and people are on more medications than ever. Polluted farmland, rivers, air, oceans. We can't ignore these things forever.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
If you can believe the anti-GMO literature, it's amazing that we're all still alive.

Well, you can still be alive and have a tumor blossoming in the middle of your brain.

I wasn't concerned about GMOs because of my ignorance about the subject. Then toneart brought it up and I did a bit of reading.

What I'm zeroing in on is not a harmful effect of a GMO per se, but instead the toxicity of the food supply caused by the use of GMO seeds that are resistant to Roundup, thus allowing the application directly upon the food/feed crop which then absorbs the toxin.

The study I referenced above was published last year. This is a relatively new concern.

Be cavalier about it if you like. Or speak up:

http://act.thenhf.com/5948/us-gmo-foods-petition/

[Edited on 8-12-2015 by SFandH]
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I've recently read that the GMO Monsanto seeds that produce plants that are resistant to Roundup and therefore allows farmers to spray Roundup directly on the crops is resulting in food that contains the active ingredient of Roundup in amounts that exceed allowable limits and therefore is illegal to sell. To fix this problem the FDA raised allowable limits.

Does this concern you?

No, not at all.

Glyphosate (Roundup) has been in widespread use since the 1970's, and has been proven to be one of the safest and most environmentally benign pesticides when used responsibly. It has low environmental persistence, and is degraded by soil microorganisms. It's pretty benign stuff.

In other words, almost half a century of use and the horrors have yet to materialize. For example, in 2013 the European Food Safety Authority published a major report that concluded "the data is contradictory and far from convincing." With close to 50 years of widespread manufacturing, formulation, distribution, and use of glyphosate, any safety risks would be abundantly clear.

Anyone can dig up studies where whopping amounts of the substance were applied to cells in a lab (known as in-vitro testing) and something happened, but this is true of almost any substance. You can make anything look toxic in a lab under the right circumstances, even water. The trick is having the knowledge and background to interpret such studies, and understanding that they don't translate into real life 99.9% of the time.

Toxicological evaluation shows that a human must ingest almost half a cup of pure Roundup before seeing any ill effects. So no, I'm not particularly worried about 5 parts per million in a carrot.

WTF
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:55 PM

What I'm zeroing in on is not a harmful effect of a GMO per se, but instead the toxicity of the food supply caused by the use of GMO seeds that are resistant to Roundup, thus allowing the application directly upon the food/feed crop which then absorbs the toxin.

The study I referenced above was published last year. This is a relatively new concern.

You misinterpreted the study you referenced. At the risk of sounding douchy, this is what happens when lay people try to interpret primary scientific literature.

Your reference found glyphosate to be relatively harmless to the cell lines tested. What the paper found is that the other, so-called inert ingredients used in pesticide formulations can be toxic to cells. This isn't surprising at all, since these formations may contain inert ingredients such as alcohols, etc.

If you put a drop of rubbing alcohol on these same cells they would all die instantly. In fact, if you put rubbing alcohol (or whisky for that matter) through the battery of tests that glyphosate has been through, it would look like the most dangerous chemical known to man. Obviously rubbing alcohol doesn't cause cancer and isn't an impending environmental disaster.

WTF
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 03:07 PM

From the National Institute of Health:

One final thing: You also misinterpreted the source of some of the research you quoted. It's not from the National Institute of Health. The NIH simply runs the website that abstracts scientific journals called PUBMED.

The paper is from a CRIIGEN, which is a French anti-GMO group. Most of the work from the primary author Seralini has already been found to be fraudulent and the papers were retracted by the journal.

Read about it here, and PLEASE carefully consider who you get your information from. You are being lied to, and not be me :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9ralini_affair

This is pretty off-topic for BN so I won't comment further on this thread. I do appreciate that people are thinking about these things, so thank you SFandH and others for the discussion!

WTF
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.