Pages:  1  ..  47    49    51  ..  118
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 06:01 PM
Come burn with me!

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
I'm really going to miss those backyard wiener and marshmallow roasts over a waste wood fire with the grandkids tho. And whats a camping trip without the campfire to sit around and share stories? It was hard enough adjusting to the fake propane fire pits....but electric?

You will have to use real long sticks to roast anything though. I build my piles with an excavator, and when they get going good you could singe your eyebrows getting too close!

I was already looking at a heavy workload trying to manage a bunch of bug killed trees, then the late heavy snow we had took down a bunch more!

Nature is turning a page on my forest, and I hope to keep burning the waste wood a pile at a time instead of fifty acres all at once!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 11:42 AM

https://youtu.be/u9KxE4Kv9A8

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-8-2023 at 09:53 AM

Quoting Gretta; "Blah blah blah blah".

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-8-2023 at 10:30 AM

Goat,

Actually none of the models work the same way the climate works. That’s “0”! The primary reason is that today as was the case 50 years ago, there isn’t a sufficient understanding as to how the climate actually works past it’s been getting warmer for the last 14K+ years!

It’s obvious that multiple billions of humans burning stuff is adding to the warming that had melted a majority of the ice from the peak of the last ice age. The sea level rose over 300’ + prior to humans adding to the rise and even the most pessimistic projections suggest 40’ - 60’ more rise in the future.

Unless all of humanity pitches in, nothing we can do will be, by it self, enough and it won’t “set an example” for the Indians and Chinese either as they don’t give a damn what we do or what Greta says!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2023 at 11:01 AM

Ridiculous excuse for not doing one's part- that someone else isn't doing their's, so why bother.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2023 at 03:52 PM

S,

That depends on how you define “our part”! In case you missed it, there’s a major war in Europe again. That war has resulted in the deaths of a large (200K or more) number of people by gun and other violence in just over a year. The same European war has resulted in a rather large amount of pollution.

Rather than continuing to move the deckchairs around on the Titanic perhaps we should direct our efforts to try and prevent the European War from becoming a World war. That said the resulting World War would end the threat from global warming and overpopulation at the same time, thus meeting your call for action!
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 08:03 AM

Meanwhile, this

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-sustainability/399737...

Could lead to some promising advancements in clean energy
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 04:43 PM

S,

Not “Gas Stoves”, gas appliances! Heated water with electricity lately? Then there the small gas engine appliances like generators, pumps and cement mixers that are banned or will be banned (not phased out!) very soon! Mixed a few yards of concrete by hand lately? Honda stopped selling new small gas engine appliances in California last year.

Actually you were forced to wear a mask. The police in Melbourne can be viewed clubbing anti-mask protesters in a number of places on the internet. In Los Angeles we were forced to wear masks, some businesses were closed and travel was restricted as well.

BCS banned beer and liquor sales and then regulated sales hours. (GFE)

And finally, you still haven’t listed your creds past just talking about the environment!

[Edited on 5-10-2023 by RFClark]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 04:52 PM

👍👍👍
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

Actually you were forced to wear a mask. The police in Melbourne can be viewed clubbing anti-mask protesters in a number of places on the internet. In Los Angeles we were forced to wear masks, some businesses were closed and travel was restricted as well.

BCS banned beer and liquor sales and then regulated sales hours. (GFE)

[Edited on 5-10-2023 by RFClark]

No, you weren't "forced" to wear a mask, you were restricted from public venues if you weren't wearing one. Those are two different things.

And of course there were restrictions- intelligent people who care about others besides themselves were trying to stop the rampant spread of a virus that has killed almost 7 million people in 3 years. If there had been no restrictions or masking and distance regulations, millions more people would have died.

Do you jump up and down screaming about having to wear a seat belt in your car or on a plane? How would you feel about people who are covered in monkeypox lesions being allowed to rub shoulders with others in public places? People would freak out about that, yet because you couldn't "see" the Covid virus, people denied its existence or danger.

[Edited on 5-11-2023 by surabi]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

The problem comes in when it is a mandated policy for everyone to comply to.

Have EVs been mandated anywhere in the US? Are mandates planned? If so by who, when, and where?

Have you not been following the news?

Not really, not since October. I have to drive to an Internet connection (slow geostationary satellite) when at my place in BCS and that's fine with me. Yes, I know about Starlink.

I just read about the 2035 CA zero emissions mandate. Sounds good to me.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/california-moves-accelerate-100-...

[Edited on 5-11-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 07:30 PM

In Loreto, police were harassing tourists who weren't masked. Didn't happen in LA.

Snowflakes whining: I was forced to wear a mask. I didn't feel safe. Bet you lose sleep over this stuff.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
In Loreto, police were harassing tourists who weren't masked. Didn't happen in LA.

Snowflakes whining: I was forced to wear a mask. I didn't feel safe. Bet you lose sleep over this stuff.

Wearing a mask is so easy even a troglodyte could do it. Are snowflake conservatives still whining about having to wear a little mask for a year? Crybabies! Waaaa!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 09:37 PM

S,

Hindsight is 20/20. I worked in Critical Care Medicine back then. Initially no-one understood what all the vectors were! As a result people died from receiving blood, blood fractions, blood derived products and just about any medical product or device that had a human component. That included contaminated equipment with multiple users. Initially almost everyone with symptoms died period! It was very scary!

The total number of deaths from AIDS is more than 40 million and in 2022 deaths were still running 800K per year.

The CDC early on tried to infect volunteers with COVID and only 50% of the subjects ever showed symptoms!

The 2 epidemics are not in the same league. Yet the different approaches are amazing.

[Edited on 5-11-2023 by RFClark]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 10:27 PM

More interesting news.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01052023/eleven-chemical-...
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2023 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

Hindsight is 20/20. I worked in Critical Care Medicine back then. Initially no-one understood what all the vectors were! As a result people died from receiving blood, blood fractions, blood derived products and just about any medical product or device that had a human component. That included contaminated equipment with multiple users. Initially almost everyone with symptoms died period! It was very scary!

The total number of deaths from AIDS is more than 40 million and in 2022 deaths were still running 800K per year.

The 2 epidemics are not in the same league. Yet the different approaches are amazing.

[Edited on 5-11-2023 by RFClark]

The slow response and medical investigation into AIDS was rooted in bigotry against gays. They were afraid to come forward to talk about what was happening in their communities and demand action because of being stigmatized even more than they already were. You can't start a discussion about the difference in approaches while ignoring that elephant in the room.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2023 at 06:59 AM

South Pasadena Popo Going All Electric!
58 years after Dylan went electric

South Pasadena’s police car fleet is expected to go fully electric by the start of next year.

The city is leasing 20 Teslas through Enterprise for at least five years for police patrol duties, administration and detective work. Some vehicles are already in use, Deputy City Manager Domenica Megerdichian said, while others used for patrol must still be properly outfitted.

Nearly $2 million in city funds was allotted to the leasing agreement, which includes 10 Tesla Model Y vehicles and 10 Tesla Model 3 vehicles, according to City Council agenda reports. The city also received $500,000 in funding from a committee that works to reduce vehicle pollution in the South Coast region.

More than 30 charging ports, including some for public use, will be installed at South Pasadena City Hall parking lots in partnership with Southern California Edison.

“We have been investigating this transition for five to six years and determined that these electric vehicles will be the best operationally for us,” South Pasadena Police Chief Brian Solinsky said in a statement. “They are the safest and fastest vehicles and will save the city money in lower maintenance and fueling costs.”

Woke!

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2023 at 08:15 AM

Sounds like its a great move for THEM
Small geographic area, predominantly short trips
Not an issue Not against it

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2023 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I'd rather err on the safe side. Besides, switching to renewable energy sources is a smart thing to do for many reasons.

Petroleum fuels are dirty, cause air pollution. Always good to reduce or eliminate petroleum use where possible.

Woke!

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2023 at 05:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Petroleum fuels are dirty, cause air pollution. Always good to reduce or eliminate petroleum use where possible.

I've found for Baja it just isn't practical yet to replace those gas 4by4's with electrics, but the F-150 Lightning looks like a good hope for the future if the charging stations arrive in mass or you have enough excess solar to charge at home for free. California has huge subsidies for those who switched either to BEV or hybrids and in addition a large number of charging stations we passed on the way down. Has anyone got positive experiences they can share with us and the reasons they find them superior, or the limitations they ran into?
The Prius V hybrid we had in the family for years has been great in cities and paved roads, but road clearance on back roads and fuel use savings dropped significantly as well. Propane and natural gas conversions that drastically reduced pollution we were led to in the past became somewhat unwieldy when all the refill stations dried up, altho while they were more common they saved a ton of pollution. Then the costs to purchase the fuels went way up and they became impractical for the fleets that willingly converted.
Fuel Cells were touted as the answer next, and finally the Hydrogen Hiway. It's no wonder the populace has severe doubts about this latest push.

[Edited on 5-12-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
 Pages:  1  ..  47    49    51  ..  118

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.