Author: Subject: Cuota warnings
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Its just a conceptual idea- Team Vagas - one could log onto a forum (sub forum), and by sending a subscription, begin their trip log...
I'll get started.

Good lord-- It's DK crossed with Bill Gates on Jolt! :O

--Larry

I was thinking the same thing. Wow...

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by JZ]
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
http://mologogo.com/
gps phone tracking site

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmapper/
source code
Google Map GPS Cell Phone Tracker
support for php mysql

There's a definite "technically cool" factor there, but the sociopolitical implications are scary. Put me out, coach... :o

--Larry

One of the engineers that I work for on occasion told me a story of a fishing trip he took to Alaska once. He had to take a bush plane flight for many hours, then travel by boat for another day just to get the spot where his lodge was. After about a week; he got a message that there was an "emergecy" at the office. That was all the message said. He worried and thought about it all night. Should he go or stay? He thought,"Maybe there was a catostropic failure of a project and peoples lives are at stake."

So the next day he set out from the lodge. He traveled a whole day by boat... then another day by plane just to get to a phone to call his office because of the "emergency".

When he finally got though to the office on the phone the young intern working at the office said, "Oh, I just wanted to see if you were going to be back in time to goto the meeting next Tuesday."

He said he wanted to wrap the phone cord around the guys neck. An emergency?! I think not. 4 days of his two week trip already wasted. In fact he did not even go back to the lodge because he could only be there for another day or two before he would have to make the two day return trip yet again. So basically his two week trip was cut in half by some dolt who never bothered to learn the definition of "emergency".

:fire:

Personally, when I go on vacation, I want to be "on vacation". I just want simplicity and adventure. Don't bother calling if the world ended without me, my cell phone is going to be off unless I need to use it to call someone.

I prefer to travel without every conceivable contingency covered ten times over. I don't need nor want travel insurance, margarita insurance, hotel reservations, tee times booked, menus planed, play lists synced to my cell phone, to know if Britteny Spears is in/out of rehab, etc.. etc..

Sure I use a GPS and a beer cooler; but, I don't need the two mixed. If I can't find my beer cooler maybe it's time for a nap instead of another beer. Life is as simple or complex as you want to make it.

To each their own.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:54 AM

Margarita insurance? What does that cover, exactly?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

It provides a free refill if your ice melts prematurely. However; there are exceptions. It only covers melting due to extreme temperature, not direct sunlight exposure. Also, it only remains valid for a period of 15 minutes after the drink is mixed, not served. Melting "implies" that 70% of ice has turned to water within the 15 minute time period. The coverage is void on leap years and within 2 days of any full moon, with the exception of a blue moon. Coverage must be pre-paid at time of ordering the drink in the form of a tip to the bartender and cost no less than the cost of the margarita itself. If you are still reading this please go drink a margarita and forget the insurance; just buy the person to the left of you a drink instead.

I hope that cleared things up. :lol:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 03:14 PM

Yes there are huge problems with GPS phones used to track employees, family etc... those are the current applications, my project is different, also frought with its own problems. In my project, the web site is used for travel adventure logs by option of the user, you turn it on in transit and you can turn it off and you control the access to your blog which is not associated with your personal identity. It is purely a blog site module for adventurers in cars and boats. But yes if you said I intend to arrive at x location at x time and you didn't (the fun part of traveling) I suppose that would draw red flags from your intended audience (mom), or lets say you lost the phone that would draw red flags too so yes the whole project is fraught with downsides and upsides depending on how the data is used. Being off the grid is cool being on the grid in constant contact is not always cool and not what being in mexico is about, in general.

To be clear I personally don't have a cell phone or a home phone.

Please don't contact me or look for me, I am hiding behind a palm tree and unavailable.
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Yes there are huge problems with GPS phones used to track employees, family etc... those are the current applications, my project is different, also frought with its own problems. In my project, the web site is used for travel adventure logs by option of the user, you turn it on in transit and you can turn it off and you control the access to your blog which is not associated with your personal identity. It is purely a blog site module for adventurers in cars and boats. But yes if you said I intend to arrive at x location at x time and you didn't (the fun part of traveling) I suppose that would draw red flags from your intended audience (mom), or lets say you lost the phone that would draw red flags too so yes the whole project is fraught with downsides and upsides depending on how the data is used. Being off the grid is cool being on the grid in constant contact is not always cool and not what being in mexico is about, in general.

To be clear I personally don't have a cell phone or a home phone.

Please don't contact me or look for me, I am hiding behind a palm tree and unavailable.

All around I think your idea is pretty neat, and I am sure Mom's everywhere would love it. It's just a matter of time until you can be contacted anywhere. You might check into some of the software and hardware systems currently in use by long distance trucking companies to get some ideas to help you with your project. The dispatchers nowadays have all sorts of information at their disposal regarding each trucks progress, ETA, current location, and real time video from the trucks.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Quote:

It provides a free refill if your ice melts prematurely. However; there are exceptions.

Quote:

It only covers melting due to extreme temperature, not direct sunlight exposure.

Most of my drinking is done indoors anyway.
Quote:

Also, it only remains valid for a period of 15 minutes after the drink is mixed, not served. Melting "implies" that 70% of ice has turned to water within the 15 minute time period.

Not a problem. If it takes me longer than 15 minutes to drink a margarita, something is very, very wrong.
Quote:

The coverage is void on leap years and within 2 days of any full moon, with the exception of a blue moon.

Wow, I'd better get those dates into my Blackberry calendar.
Quote:

Coverage must be pre-paid at time of ordering the drink in the form of a tip to the bartender and cost no less than the cost of the margarita itself.

This is insurance? I think I may have another word for it. Let's see, bartender pockets exorbitant 100% tip and replaces "defective" drink with new drink paid for by bar owner (who likely has no clue that this is happening, other than wow, what the hell is going on with my pour cost?!). You aren't by any chance a bartender, are you? I'll bet you've figured out how to make the ice melt faster too.
Quote:

If you are still reading this please go drink a margarita and forget the insurance; just buy the person to the left of you a drink instead.

The only other person in the room is me, so I'm buying myself one. Cheap bastard, aren't I?
Quote:

I hope that cleared things up. :lol:

Crystal.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 04:41 PM

Quote:

This is insurance? I think I may have another word for it. Let's see, bartender pockets exorbitant 100% tip and replaces "defective" drink with new drink paid for by bar owner (who likely has no clue that this is happening, other than wow, what the hell is going on with my pour cost?!). You aren't by any chance a bartender, are you? I'll bet you've figured out how to make the ice melt faster too.

Nope, not I'm not a bartender; but, I know a few. ;) I was just merely pricing my margarita insurance high enough to cover my costs and allow me to make a small profit in case someone took me up on it.

I'm thinking of having my lobbyists pander to Washington to make it a requirement that everyone must purchase insurance for their drinks before ordering.

All joking aside. I'm a cheap bastard too. But, I'll purchase insurance for at least one drink of yours if we ever happen to be "neighbors" at a bar.

However, tonight I'm off to the Mexicali beer fest! My insurance for this is a taxi. :D
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
All around I think your idea is pretty neat, and I am sure Mom's everywhere would love it. It's just a matter of time until you can be contacted anywhere. You might check into some of the software and hardware systems currently in use by long distance trucking companies to get some ideas to help you with your project. The dispatchers nowadays have all sorts of information at their disposal regarding each trucks progress, ETA, current location, and real time video from the trucks.

High end golf courses also use GPS to track the players on the course. If they arn't moving fast enough they sic the ranger on them.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.