BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Where were you in 1975?
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 08:00 PM

I was running my own property/casualty insurance company in a small town in Oregon. Hadn't discovered Baja yet, and was about to start taking flying lessons. And ten years later, I did descover Rattlesnake Beach at Puerto Escondido where my brother & I flew down to see what the heck our cousin saw in Baja that he'd spend the winters down there on the beach in his airstream???? Wow!!!! We were hooked the minute we stepped off the airplane at Loreto. And 25 years later, I'm still driving to Loreto & Cabo. viva La Mexico

[Edited on 10-22-2011 by Phil S]
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The 60's and 70's were great times to discover Baja. There were far fewer campos so more of us may have been at the same place on any given holiday.

Agreed, great times in Baja.... I finished up with college in 1975 but had about 10 years of Baja explorations under my belt by then. My dad loved to fish so I became a willing accomplice for his adventures south of the border. One of the highlights was our drive to Gonzaga Bay on the old road in the 60's. I still remember the sounds of our truck as it bounced and bottomed out on that road. Just imagine the grinding of metal to stone, the old Dodge screaming for mercy.

DK, I can almost guarantee we crossed paths many times down there. Good times back then, AND, good times now. My kids are seasoned Baja vets now, from their days of sandy diapers on the beach to now, college kids fishing for dorado on the Sea of Cortez. We've come full circle. Thanks dad!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 10:31 AM

I have a ton of slides of my first Baja trips (1965-1975)... and I need to get them on a disc or printed to share.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
I have a ton of slides of my first Baja trips (1965-1975)... and I need to get them on a disc or printed to share.

Buy one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/42qcmkp
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2011 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Buy one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/42qcmkp

Thanks Dennis, I will ask Santa!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 05:01 PM

1st or 2nd grade in Ohio. Had never seen a Mexican in my life, not in person anyway, and maybe not even on TV outside of Speedy Gonzalez....

First trip to MX was 1981 to TJ and Rosarito with my parents when we were visiting my sister who lived in Long Beach.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 05:18 PM

Freezing my sombrero off in Connecticut...thank God for the wonderful weather we have in Baja California!!
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 05:28 PM

Pump jockey at the Gulf highway station. Graduated from high school. Got married. Never looked back.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 06:04 PM

'75 was the year I transferred from the NAWC at China Lake, in the dry Mojave desert, to NAVSEA in Washington DC with cold winters and humid summers.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
1st or 2nd grade in Ohio. Had never seen a Mexican in my life, not in person anyway, and maybe not even on TV outside of Speedy Gonzalez....

how about the Cisco Kid and Poncho?

Bob Durrell
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 07:27 PM

Being a 2 yr old living by San Diego State

Derek
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 08:25 PM

I was a sophmore in high school taking a spanish class and baja was not even a blip on my horizon. My husband was in singapore in middle school.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 08:35 PM

Commercial fishing in Alaska in the summer and being a ski bum in Oregon all winter.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 09:06 PM

Getting ready to celebrate the bicentennial in Boston...where my USMC dad had been on recruiting duty for 6 years...moved to O'side, CA the next year for junior high. My dad was afraid to cross the border, guess he'd heard too many stories about Marines doing stupid stuff and getting locked up down there.

Other than a couple of trips with high school and college friends in the 80's,
I didn't discover Baja until Alaska Airlines started flying to Cabo in the late 80's/ early 90's.

My sis and her Alaska Air buddies consider themselves the original Cabo Bimbos!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 09:28 PM

This is a 2011 post!!!!! let's move on!!!!! I think I was doing the first trip of Europe, who care's it was a life time ago. Grow up and move past the BS of your life....... maps and gps points to follow.
This is like when I show up to a point or surf break and these guys are doing the little roster dance... I been coming here since 19?? and I am all that and a bag of chips.

[Edited on 5-18-2014 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 09:31 PM

In 75, my second year of college, I moved from San Francisco CA to San Diego because I liked the Mexican influence in SD. SF has many cultures of course, but the weather, architecture girls and other MX cultural influences were attractive to me. I occasionally visited south of the border for fun when my school and job allowed.

I grew up in San Francisco but went to high school in Casper WY.
BajaBoomerBabe
Junior Nomad

Mood: Getting excited about driving down Baja!

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 06:16 AM

I was building my house in Yelapa, Jalisco, Mexico. Sleepy, little fishing village of 300 people, no cars, no phones, no electricity! A few Californian ex-pats and a sprinkling of Canadians (me, being one). Fishing every day. Loved it! Still love Mexico but living in Los Cabos now. :D
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 06:26 AM

heading for Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua for 6 months with boyfriend after graduating from college............ all on $1200 between the 2 of us, and a small pickup with shell.....best thing we ever did for ourselves
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 06:47 AM

I was 34 and in the best shape of my life.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 07:10 AM

In '75 I was the first Chief Ranger for BLM in El Centro, CA responsible for BLM lands in Imperial, San Diego, and Riverside Counties and the implementation of the new BLM "Desert Program" for the CA Desert.

I escaped to Baja many times during those years, before and after then.

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.