BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Coming to a beach near you
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 05:32 PM

I think studying the effects of Chernobyl are worthwhile and for a fact even after decades some zones outside the plant are so hot, even heavily shielded personnel can stay only minutes. For a lifetime.

Building or storing radioactive material within striking distance of a fault is folly. Properly placed and operated plants are perhaps acceptable but it seems to be impossible to keep politics out of decisions.

A woldwide decision and agreement needs to be reached about proper storage, handling and transport of spent uranium. Like a nuclear Geneva agreement. I sure do not see anything being done in that department. It's rather discouraging.

Building tens of billions of solar voltaic panels is not at crazy sounding as it once was.

I completed a Nuclear Emergency Response Team course (it was intense) in the late seventies. It taught me to be humble about things radioactive.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I guess what I really want to know is what are the fisher-persons going to do?
From the recreational one to the one in it for the money... big or small, what is the plan, if any?

Tolerances established ... perhaps ...

Not sure what the RDA (Recommended DailyAllowance) is for bacon with say 15 rads or Swordfish with 17 et al

Lower levels .. higher price ...:biggrin::biggrin:

Better stock up on PFB ... (Pre ***ushima Beer) ... before it hits here

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 06:07 PM

In a Japanese food market:

"Cesium readings are posted right beside the price."

Protein, carbs, fats, and cesium-137.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june12/***ushimap...

The more cesium, the lower the price???

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 07:12 PM
Economic Possibilities ?

History has shown that EVERY crisis presents challenges AND opportunities.

"Personal" Radioactivity detection devices for Beach-goers could become a HOT item ?

Sounds Rad, doesn't it ?

Maybe, Lead-Lined Wetsuits ?

OK, THAT could be a weighty problem.

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by MrBillM]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 07:25 PM

it's the end of the world as we know it!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 07:49 PM

Naw .....we just need more beer and/or beverage of choice ... its all good :):)

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 07:09 AM

For those curious about consuming seafood containing low levels of radioactivity.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/08/are-the-levels-of-***...

I wonder if any US consumer protection agencies are testing the catch........yet.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 07:49 AM

"***ushima Daiichi: The Battle for Containment

More than two years after suffering one of the world's worst nuclear accidents, the ***ushima Daiichi compound remains a menacing challenge for the operator and regulators. Although the immediate danger of further meltdowns is past, ***ushima Daiichi continues to leak radiation—particularly through water—and the damaged reactors are still too heavily contaminated to enter. When three of the plant's six reactors spun out of control following the earthquake and tsunami of March 2011, the resulting explosions and radioactive releases contaminated a broad swath of the surrounding region, rendering nearby towns uninhabitable for decades. Operator Tokyo Electric Power Co., or Tepco, estimates it could take up to 40 years and trillions of yen to clean up the mess.

—Phred Dvorak, Moeko Fujii, Eleanor Warnock and Rosa de Acosta

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732351440457865...

I'm accepting the "higher" dose ... not much one can do, but, find a hobby :biggrin::biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by wessongroup]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 10:05 AM
Just saying

I HAD a friend that was one of 7 Navy divers that helped recover the 70 -kiloton H Bomb that fell into the Mediterranean off the cost of Spain in Jan. 1966 when the B-52 carrying it collide with a KC-135 jet tanker during a refueling operation. He died of cancer in 1986, just like the other six that died before him.

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I HAD a friend that was one of 7 Navy divers that helped recover the 70 -kiloton H Bomb that fell into the Mediterranean off the cost of Spain in Jan. 1966 when the B-52 carrying it collide with a KC-135 jet tanker during a refueling operation. He died of cancer in 1986, just like the other six that died before him.

I wonder what their ages were-------that would be very telling, I am thinking.

Barry
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

I wonder what their ages were-------that would be very telling, I am thinking.

Barry
My friend was 55. Don't know about the others but I'm sure their ages were +/- 5-8 years

Bob Durrell
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 11:37 AM

"Of the four Mk28 type hydrogen bombs the B-52G carried,[2] three were found on land near the small fishing village of Palomares in the municipality of Cuevas del Almanzora, Almería, Spain. The non-nuclear explosives in two of the weapons detonated upon impact with the ground, resulting in the contamination of a 2-square-kilometer (490-acre) (0.78 square mile) area by plutonium. The fourth, which fell into the Mediterranean Sea, was recovered intact after a 2½-month-long search."

Cleaning up plutonium on the ground is nasty business. A spec of that stuff lodged in your lungs is a serious situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash

Mk-28:

BTW, reactor fuel elements, which have been damaged at ***ushima and are contaminating the water contain plutonium. Some of it from U-238 absorbing a neutron and also, at ***ushima, some of the fresh fuel contained plutonium because they were using a fuel type that was made from both uranium and plutonium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOX_fuel

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by SFandH]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:57 PM

Another scientist's take on things:

http://www.surfingmagazine.com/blogs/the-scoop-radioactive-p...

Ken Buesseler:The meltdown at ***ushima happened in 2011 and the waves from the tsunami brought radioactive material into the ocean. There were various other sources from the event which caused even more contamination. It was an unprecedented event for the ocean, so there is every right to be worried. It’s good to have a healthy amount of concern about radioactivity in the Pacific, but the effects from ***ushima on our coast have been exaggerated. Certainly, there was an extremely high level of radioactivity right at the site of the disaster. However, the further away you go, the lower those levels become and they reach a point of insignificance.

When you put milk in your coffee cup and start stirring, you see streaks at first and eventually it all becomes that light color. The ocean behaves in a similar fashion and the mixing is very well understood. The radioactive isotopes mix with the currents. Those currents slowly move across the Pacific and they will reach our shores. But the levels will be tens of thousands of times lower that what we found in Japan. They’re already low enough off the coast of Japan to be safe, but they’re going to be even lower off our coast.

There is no way that the water that you’re surfing in could give you a radioactive dose that would be of any concern. There are already radioactive atoms in the ocean, but they aren’t dangerous. We have naturally-occurring radionuclides and there are still radionuclides from nuclear weapon testings in the ‘60s in there. It can be hard for people to understand that it’s already been there, but it has been for decades. And the radioactivity from ***ushima will cause no significant difference.

The consumption of seafood has raised significant interest. If you eat a contaminated fish, that is a direct dose of radiation and it is of more concern than external exposure. Japan had to close down a large number of fisheries for this reason. And yes, fish can move out of those contaminated zones but they rarely do — besides for tuna. And if a tuna was to swim away, the concentration of these cesium isotopes would drastically decrease. They lose it as they get into cleaner water. In 50 days, a fish will lose half of the cesium it may have picked up off Japan. We must watch out from thinking that every radioactive atom will kill us. We’re regularly exposed to a number of detrimental things and this one does not create a hazardous situation.

I don’t work for the power companies. I don’t work for any special groups. We just analyze what we measure and how it compares to other sources and try to put it into context. We don’t believe that the Pacific Ocean is safe in the sense of being able to ignore what is an unprecedented release of radioactivity. But I think it’s all been very alarmist and you can blame that on the fear of cancer or bad sci-fi movies from the past.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 02:38 PM

It's a fluid situation. :rolleyes: Sorry. Buesseler's solution to pollution is dilution explanation is correct for us, probably. ***u could slowly get better or quickly get worse. Another earthquake could dramatically worsen the situation.

I'm amazed that somebody way back when didn't say "Hey that's up-side-down!" when they placed the back-up generators at or below ground level and the spent fuel tanks on the top floor.

I've lost a lot of confidence in the nuclear industry because of what looks to me to be a giant, fundamental mistake.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
We'll see where Ken Buesseler stands on this in a few years.

But, hey, at least they're getting announcements out quickly now!

Level 3 incident

[Edited on 8-29-2013 by soulpatch]

Dittos

And excuse me if I have a little concern over something which is a: carcinogen, mutagen and teratogen ... and is persistent in OUR environment for a very long while and is additive to our daily exposure or background levels of ionizing radiation .... think DDT, it was diluted too ...

Don't believe the FDA will register a product which has anyone of these three properties and to a very large extent all "products" which were and/or are found to have these abilities are removed from products used to "make" what we "want" and "need"

Never thought for a minute this was acutely toxic to anything, other than those entities in the "immediate" area of the "site"
(with exceptions noted)

But, I've not ruled out Godzilla, at this time :biggrin::biggrin:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 11:49 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-fund-ice-wall-stop-reactor-leaks...

:lol::lol: we're in trouble now....

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 01:19 PM

Not sure the "ice wall" will help with the Olympics in 2020 .... this should prove interesting

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.