Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14
Author: Subject: Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:52 PM

Virtual bicycle passing:

What’s coming over the hill as you’re passing the cyclists? Do you take a chance, or slow to 4 mph until you go over the hill to see what is in the oncoming lane? Will you get rear-ended because the car behind you doesn’t see the cyclists and assumes you are doing the average speed in that area?
Yes, I slowed to a crawl so as not risk what was unseen. Really annoying.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

But the subject of riding bikes on Highway 1 has nothing to do with politics or right now, even legal rights. IT IS LEGAL.

And people wanting to serve the few, IMHO, are today, the right leaning Tea Party Rebuplicans --- they are only interested in protecting a few and ignoring the masses.

So it makes NO sense to tie any of this to politics because both sides of the political spectrum are seeing the same thing for the other side.

Besides, I see people arguing for and against the riding of bikes in Baja who are on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. So someone bringing in politics is simply trolling, as usual.

[Edited on 1-10-2014 by DianaT]

It seems that you see something "political" in just about anything DavidK posts, yet you go off on your own Tea Party rank and that's OK. There is no politics in this thread, only common sense.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Virtual bicycle passing:

What’s coming over the hill as you’re passing the cyclists? Do you take a chance, or slow to 4 mph until you go over the hill to see what is in the oncoming lane? Will you get rear-ended because the car behind you doesn’t see the cyclists and assumes you are doing the average speed in that area?

I did the same thing this morning...in Tucson.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion

It seems that you see something "political" in just about anything DavidK posts, yet you go off on your own Tea Party rank and that's OK. There is no politics in this thread, only common sense.

The following post from DK is NOT bringing politics into this? Really? The Tea Party comment, obviously, was to make the point that both sides see things the same way and that there is no place for politics in this thread. It was just another trolling statement.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

It's as if Mt. Goat has never been on Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin or the political 'rights' of people on bikes are far greater than anyone else. In today's political popularity: The needs of the FEW outweigh the needs of the many.

[Edited on 1-11-2014 by DianaT]
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:13 PM

cager= person in a 4 wheeled vehicle

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:15 PM

I like the bright color the two bikers are wearing in the photo ..:lol::lol:

Guess they want to blend in so you can't see them ahead of time .

Green black and gray . :o:o
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:19 PM

Diana----------EVERYTHING is seen thru the prism of personal politics--------it's a human-thing, and most of us do it. Why make emotional derisive issues & comments about something that is always present? We all KNOW where you, me, and David (etc.) are coming from, yet you always seem to rise to the bait with nastiness when David is involved.

Who cares if David is "trolling" when the info that he provides is great???? I sure don't. (I know that I am talking to a granite boulder, tho, and I will drop it now) :lol:

barry
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion

The following post from DK is NOT bringing politics into this? Really? The Tea Party comment, obviously, was to make the point that both sides see things the same way and that there is no place for politics in this thread. It was just another trolling statement.

Quote:

It's as if Mt. Goat has never been on Hwy. 1 south of San Quintin or the political 'rights' of people on bikes are far greater than anyone else. In today's political popularity: The needs of the FEW outweigh the needs of the many.

[Edited on 1-11-2014 by DianaT]

Tea Party comment??? I never said anything about any tea party... Hey DianaT, if you like your health insurance, guess what? YOU CAN'T KEEP IT !!! Ha Ha

Wow, I think I will have a glass of wine and sit by the fireplace with my beautiful bride... good night amigos!:lol::o:wow::?::rolleyes:

DK, you are probably covered under your wife's insurance, right? Good thing she is in a union:lol:

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:49 PM

So what happens when you slow to 4or 5mph to be safe and the guy behind you doesn't and decides to pass and another vehicle comes sailing over the hill. Who dies???? Probably you and the bikers as the guy coming at you tries to avoid a head on with the guy passing. Nothing political about it. Someone's DEAD. Right or wrong---- Bikes on Mex 1 aren't safe.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
So what happens when you slow to 4or 5mph to be safe and the guy behind you doesn't and decides to pass and another vehicle comes sailing over the hill. Who dies???? Probably you and the bikers as the guy coming at you tries to avoid a head on with the guy passing. Nothing political about it. Someone's DEAD. Right or wrong---- Bikes on Mex 1 aren't safe.

Absolutely not safe and absolutely nothing political about it.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:04 PM

Mex. 1 is what it is.

Would do the same as for any slow moving thing. Slow down, pass when it's safe. Consider putting the flashers on to alert on coming traffic.

Take care of each other out there,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
SC2BAJA

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Virtual bicycle passing:

Is this El Rosarito heading north? looks familiar but cant quite tell.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Quote:
Quote:

How the h*ll did politics get involved? That statement makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Politics? please. :?:

Sense? Shirley, you jest!:cool:

"Don't call me Shirley"
Most the folks that play in high risk sports know and except the danger. Yes, I understand they (bikes in Baja) are also putting others at a risk too. There are LOTS of people that ride the highway safely and have a great time. A good friend road up the west coast and across Canada 30 years ago. He had a great time, he did mention that the trucks were passing him with 8' to spare. he accepted the risk as part of ride.

Most of you all are missing the point that these guys are out living and pushing themselves for fun. They do not care what you think of what they do. To b-tch about it here is like Sunday morning quarterbacking. I spent a great deal of my life putting myself in harms way in the name of fun, had a great time and broke a few bones in route. It"s part of the risk.Those that haven't, will never get it. Go live your life. Now let's go back to tires and who makes the best whatever.:saint::P:saint::P

Most of the people I know that are involved in high risk sports are all over the board politics wise, most agree that stupidity and a lack of common sense should be at least painful if not deadly.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 01:09 AM

Well, it's one thing to put yourself at risk (your choice), but it's another to put others at risk because of your actions. Even if that means that you are basically forcing someone else to chose between creaming the bicyclists or getting in a head on collision. I'd rather not have to live the rest of my life knowing that I creamed a bicyclist, even if it was their own fault for being on a roadway that is clearly not designed for that kind of traffic.

Oh, and about the political thing...recently I was posting on the thread about slow drivers in the fast lane and somehow that got diverted into a thinly veiled "accusation" that I was a liberal...whether I am or not had nothing to do with the discussion, but really? Still kind of mystified about how that "logic leap" (using the phrase generously) was made. I think some people resort to political jabs and/or personal attacks when they've run out of actual valid arguments. Just my two cents.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 07:59 AM

Si, just passing Rosarito heading north.

"Most the folks that play in high risk sports know and except the danger. Yes, I understand they (bikes in Baja) are also putting others at a risk too. There are LOTS of people that ride the highway safely and have a great time."
You are so missing the point. Nobody is disputing that the cyclists aren't having a great time, or that they're able to push themselves to achieve some goal, or choose to travel via bicycle. The other side of the coin is that the bicyclists inherently involve the drivers and put the drivers at risk, with no choice in the matter, adding a surprise element to the equation for the drivers. And you can't possibly believe that "LOTS of people ride the highway safely" as a pragmatism. The ONLY way any cyclist would ride "safely" on Mex. 1 is because THE DRIVERS ACCOMMODATED THE CYCLIST AND MADE IT SAFE FOR HIM/HER. Again - the driver is part and parcel of the cyclists' risky endeavor. Some drivers are more accepting of this role than others. Put another way, some drivers do not appreciate being put in a position, not of their own choosing, to become responsible for the safety of others who choose unwisely to embark in high risk sports on public highways.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Virtual bicycle passing:

So you were annoyed. So Sorry you had a minor delay! Your trip must have been ruined!

Who cares! You are whining about such trivial delay. You and you fellow bike haters sound ridiculous.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 09:53 AM

Wilderone, My point is based on my past experience. They don't care, and complaining about it here doesn't change a thing.The bike riders don't read this site for the most part, they are reading positive reports about how good it was and the butthead drivers.Remember the guy that was bike rider and how he was slammed a few years ago? ( Chris?)I'm sure he found another site.

If you all would like to change them riding the highway this is not the place to do it. I'm sure there are sites just for long rides that's where it should be address, not here. This board will not change anything.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 09:58 AM
Make them stand in the corner ..

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon

Oh, and about the political thing...recently I was posting on the thread about slow drivers in the fast lane and somehow that got diverted into a thinly veiled "accusation" that I was a liberal...whether I am or not had nothing to do with the discussion, but really? Still kind of mystified about how that "logic leap" (using the phrase generously) was made. I think some people resort to political jabs and/or personal attacks when they've run out of actual valid arguments. Just my two cents.

..or go to the OT where they belong :lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 10:33 PM

Personally, I think it's crazy to bicycle on Hwy 1 in Baja. There's not enough room or shoulders. However, a good friend of mine's son and some friends have spent the last year and a half kayaking and bicycling from Juneau, Alaska to Argentina. Their website is: www.atripsouth.com They crossed the border in Tijuana on Dec.12,2012. Kanaan, my friend's son, wrote in his blog "The road turned from a four lane main street back into a smaller two lane highway, something we were a bit more used to and comfortable with. What was slightly more uncomfortable was the fact that the shoulders went away the same time as the other lane. It took a little getting used to, but once we realized that for the most part the drivers gave just as much room (if not more) as they did in the States we started to loosen up a little bit."
Kanaan made it to the tip of South America and are headed back.
I'm assuming the locals were friendlier passing them than the expats.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
Personally, I think it's crazy to bicycle on Hwy 1 in Baja. There's not enough room or shoulders. However, a good friend of mine's son and some friends have spent the last year and a half kayaking and bicycling from Juneau, Alaska to Argentina. Their website is: www.atripsouth.com They crossed the border in Tijuana on Dec.12,2012. Kanaan, my friend's son, wrote in his blog "The road turned from a four lane main street back into a smaller two lane highway, something we were a bit more used to and comfortable with. What was slightly more uncomfortable was the fact that the shoulders went away the same time as the other lane. It took a little getting used to, but once we realized that for the most part the drivers gave just as much room (if not more) as they did in the States we started to loosen up a little bit."
Kanaan made it to the tip of South America and are headed back.
I'm assuming the locals were friendlier passing them than the expats.

'Well, many of us b-tch about "bikers" but we DO give them the room they need.

barry
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.